The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Simple as this - big money needs to get Junior over here - BMO needs to get on board. Scotiabank, Magna - I don't care whom - he should be getting corporate money and advertising. That is what will bring him to Canada.

Adidas ads, whatever. Corporate canada just doesn't get on board, and I'm SURE the CSA is trying to do this.

several years ago, I approached Dairy Farmers of Canada with an idea to get soccer into its advertising framework. As you may recall, they threw money behind the Olympics and had some decent ads as well.

If Canadian companies start talking, then he makes more trips home. Then he gets attention for the big games. Then...then...

Show me the money!

Is there anything we as a group can do to help this? Do others agree that this is a linchpin in getting him to declare for us? To be honest, I'm naive towards international football's behind the scenes workings. With lack of a better way of asking it, how exactly do things work?

Umbro is my first choice for an organization that we as the supporters group should approach and send a mass supported letter to asking if they would talk to us regarding helping get Hoilett to declare for Canada. Either that or perhaps ICF could get an interview with the one guy from Umbro representing the Canadian Nats with the company to see if this is even feasible, at least get discussion started and to let them know why we think it's important.

Is there anything we as a group can do to help this? Do others agree that this is a linchpin in getting him to declare for us? To be honest, I'm naive towards international football's behind the scenes workings. With lack of a better way of asking it, how exactly do things work?

Umbro is my first choice for an organization that we as the supporters group should approach and send a mass supported letter to asking if they would talk to us regarding helping get Hoilett to declare for Canada. Either that or perhaps ICF could get an interview with the one guy from Umbro representing the Canadian Nats with the company to see if this is even feasible, at least get discussion started and to let them know why we think it's important.

Full on agree! Umbro Canada has a twitter account so we can ask him there??

Cuse and I are thinking of going to Blackburn v Norwich in the fall. If you guys pay for my bail money and gym membership, I'll take the field with in a maple leaf speedo and "come home junior" painted on my chest.

Be careful what you write on here, cuz I got $50 towards this ;)

Hitting up @UmbroCDA on Twitter is a good place to start, where do we go from there?

Edited by Tuscan

Cuse and I are thinking of going to Blackburn v Norwich in the fall. If you guys pay for my bail money and gym membership, I'll take the field with in a maple leaf speedo and "come home junior" painted on my chest.

Hahaha that's awesome... I hope Sims gets a hat trick, MOTM and pulls off a Terrell Owens and celebrate his achievement by signing on Hoilett's Jersey with Maple Leaf!

Please. You would be a legend.

Guest Brethers
You've been then?

My Brother in Laws from there ...poor bugger.

I've been through it and stayed in the general area. Not too nice, granted it isn't horrible though

Guest darowaan

Update on Junior:

On July 21st he was offered a new contract by Blackburn which is reported to be for 5 years. That would surely take care of his main reason for not committing to any national team as it would sort out his club future for a good while. From what I have gathered by talking to people who cover the Rovers is that Junior is still considering the deal and seems unsure about the personal terms. He is not really in a real rush to sign the deal at this point with another year to run on his current contract. Rovers do expect him to sign in the coming weeks now that he is back from his injury and the season is about the kick off. The one reason that Junior might continue to wait is that Rovers might very well be facing a real relegation struggle for the coming season and he has no intention of playing in the Championship. No top clubs came knocking for him this off season though but they might just next year if he keeps developing.

It is all interesting to watch as Canadian supporters as we could see his club future resolved in the next little bit

Interesting about not wanting to sign with a team that is facing a relegation battle. Kinda suggests "character" if true... and based on that I would not expect him to consider Canada.

I'd be more interested in a player who was looking to be a reason the team avoids relegation. (or, say, causes promotion)

Hope the truth lies elsewhere.

Guest darowaan
Interesting about not wanting to sign with a team that is facing a relegation battle. Kinda suggests "character" if true... and based on that I would not expect him to consider Canada.

Well I would not blame him for being hesitant to sign a 5 year deal with a team that might be on the way down. At a certain point you have to do what is best for yourself as a player financially and in terms of success. That is a major part of a club career and yes it would be nice for him to be loyal to Rovers but wouldnt be a first if he wanted to keep his options open for moving to a bigger/better club. I would still take him in Canada's setup in a heart beat if he is willing

Well I would not blame him for being hesitant to sign a 5 year deal with a team that might be on the way down. At a certain point you have to do what is best for yourself as a player financially and in terms of success. That is a major part of a club career and yes it would be nice for him to be loyal to Rovers but wouldnt be a first if he wanted to keep his options open for moving to a bigger/better club. I would still take him in Canada's setup in a heart beat if he is willing

Substitute "international" for "club" career and what's the diff?

I would take him in a heartbeat, I'm just saying that *if* that's his thinking club-wise should we even expect him to think otherwise when it comes to playing for Canada?

I think playing for Canada would be a massive opportunity for him. He'd come in as the new star player, which would guarantee he'd become the new face of Canadian football. He could be the catalyst in our efforts to reach not only the Hex, but the World Cup, which I still believe we have the ability to do. If this kid wants fame, we would be the best place for him to get it in spades, all throughout North America too. It wouldn't just be a story in Canada. All of CONCACAF would take note, if not the entire footballing world. It would basically be a first for us, and that alone would make it big footballing news.

Guest darowaan
Substitute "international" for "club" career and what's the diff?

I would take him in a heartbeat, I'm just saying that *if* that's his thinking club-wise should we even expect him to think otherwise when it comes to playing for Canada?

The difference is that your club career is about having success and making money. You might think that makes a player selfish or disloyal but it is hard to find one player out there that would not be concerned about making sure they are at the best club for them before they sign long term. Just makes sense for him to consider his options and what is best for him.

International career is a different animal all together. You have limited options, you have much stronger connections to the countries then to a club you have been at for only a couple of years. His options for international are Canada and Jamaica. That is not like comparing say Arsenal and Blackburn or any other top club and Blackburn

The difference is that your club career is about having success and making money. You might think that makes a player selfish or disloyal but it is hard to find one player out there that would not be concerned about making sure they are at the best club for them before they sign long term. Just makes sense for him to consider his options and what is best for him.

International career is a different animal all together. You have limited options, you have much stronger connections to the countries then to a club you have been at for only a couple of years. His options for international are Canada and Jamaica. That is not like comparing say Arsenal and Blackburn or any other top club and Blackburn

Sorry, not buying the distinction, especially as people have suggested on this board that he is angling for residency rights and an eventual call-up to England. I don't see him being shrewd about his club career based on whether Blackburn is an organization he can trust but then choosing Canada in spite of the CSA.

How long does he have before he qualifies to be called by England? It could shed a lot of light on when we can expect him to seriously look at international football.

Hasn't he been there since he was 12? Don't they only have to live there for like 2-4 years...somewhere in there?

If so, he'd already be eligible, no?

While maybe not the first... I'm going to say it anyway...

Jr is mostly USELESS outside of the final QUARTER of a football pitch.

Inside the box he is deadly... anywhere else he is AVERAGE AT BEST.

He is playing for a team with sh**t ownership and a caretaker manager that will be lucky to avoid relegation at best.

If he decides to man-up and support the country of his birth then great...

If not... then let his knees to the way of OH's...

Fact of the matter is it's an honour to play for this great nation and that's got nothing to do with Club.. or football...

everything to do with passion for our nation and what we stand for... just ask our Gold Medal winning Hockey team....