The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Can't someone go to a Blackburn match and try to hand him a Canadian flag at the end of the match, just to see his reaction?QUOTE]

Not a bad idea. Those with any plans to attend a Blackburn match or any contacts that would be willing to toss a Canadian flag his way prior, during, or at the conclusion of a match would really get him thinking. More often the better off.

The biggest motivator for Hoillet and possibly DeGuzman to commit to Canada would be our success in the first two rounds. Once we are in the hex, 4/6 go to WC or playoff. Statistically speaking, the odds are good. A lot of you younger guys won't remember Branko Segota. He was our top offensive weapon (along with Mitchell) in the mid 80's. In the early rounds of '86 qualifiers, he'd miss practices and not fully commit, so Waiters booted him. Once we qualified, he came sniffing around again with his tail between his legs and Waiters included him on the roster. To improve our depth, I believe we should have a similar attitude and

take all comers.

The biggest motivator for Hoillet and possibly DeGuzman to commit to Canada would be our success in the first two rounds. Once we are in the hex, 4/6 go to WC or playoff. Statistically speaking, the odds are good.

In order to increase our chances to cap Hoilett, I think it would be help if Jamaica has a poor run during the WCQ, and Costa Rica as well (if we want to cap Aleman).

A lot of you younger guys won't remember Branko Segota. He was our top offensive weapon (along with Mitchell) in the mid 80's. In the early rounds of '86 qualifiers, he'd miss practices and not fully commit, so Waiters booted him. Once we qualified, he came sniffing around again with his tail between his legs and Waiters included him on the roster. To improve our depth, I believe we should have a similar attitude and

take all comers.

I normally would disagree with this statement because it kills the chemistry and the player must never come before team. But we are Canada, a country with no professional league and limited players available to play for us, so I believe we don't have a choice to proceed this way.

Glad to see the discussion has really amplified on this one. I just hate feeling powerless to do anything to try and turn our fortunes, at least in some way. I mean, we must be able to get some kind of response out of him, or at least get him thinking that we are a good option. I'm really curious to find out if Jamaica is even an option to him at this point.

Curse of OH?

No , this has not yet been unleashed.

All those in the juju network must redouble their efforts against certain players in MMManCity, Stokethefiresofhell and Helland NOW to maintain the curse..................................shoogawoogah!!!!!!!!!!!

May the fierce be with you!

Edited by beachesl

The biggest motivator for Hoillet and possibly DeGuzman to commit to Canada would be our success in the first two rounds. Once we are in the hex, 4/6 go to WC or playoff. Statistically speaking, the odds are good. A lot of you younger guys won't remember Branko Segota. He was our top offensive weapon (along with Mitchell) in the mid 80's. In the early rounds of '86 qualifiers, he'd miss practices and not fully commit, so Waiters booted him. Once we qualified, he came sniffing around again with his tail between his legs and Waiters included him on the roster. To improve our depth, I believe we should have a similar attitude and

take all comers.

Agreed. There were some good comments (regarding the question of the no shows for Basketball national team) on last Friday round table table on Prime time Sports. And those comments apply equally to soccer in regards to the reluctant players or the past defections. what the guests said was that in order to avoid this problem, you needed:

1) The players to believe and have faith in the program/team and the prospects for success. Players wont commit if they feel there nothing in it for them or to gain, or no prospects of success as defined by them individually.

2) A club system like in europe which permits developing players to remain culturally attached to the national programs by having peer groups of similar background. In the case of basketball, the comment was that having all these players go abroad to the US (NCAA or now even high school) was not helping matters. Because, they were becoming culturally or emotionally detached from Canada and the natioanal programs were growing more distant to them

I believe that the same applied in soccer. Academy players (TFC, VAN, Mon) are not as likely IMO to stick it to their peers and defect. secondly(as i have said before) had we had a good run in WCQ for 2002, OH might have committed to Canada. but it was a distaterous run where we score only one goal, lost to T&T, and got eliminated early.

Edited by Free kick

Things looking good for Blackburn’s Hoilett after head injury

11.09.11 | Andrew Slevison

READ MORE NEWS ON: Fulham, Blackburn Rovers

0diggs

diggBlackburn Rovers attacker David ‘Junior’ Hoilett suffered a heavy knock in today’s 1-1 draw with Fulham at Craven Cottage but the early news suggests he will be ok.

The 21-year old Canadian was felled late in the contest when he collided with Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer on the edge of the penalty area and had to be stretchered off in a neck brace but Rovers boss Steve Kean said after the match that he would be fine.

“He’s got three or four stitches on the side of his head and quite a nasty bang on his eye,” he told Sky Sports.

“Looking at it again it’s not a great challenge. He’s going to have a bit of concussion and we will see how he is but it’s not a great one.

“It could have been worse. I think he was (knocked) out for a little bit of time so he probably is concussed and that might affect the next game but the good thing is he was going for the challenge.

“That’s the most important thing (that he’s ok). He’ll get stitched up and he’ll be fine.”

Hoilett decided against taking an ambulance to hospital and instead will travel back to Blackburn with the rest of the players indicating that he is alright.

It seems concussions aren't taken that seriously by premier league clubs. Gael Clichy suffered a clear concussion in a pre-season game against Los Angeles and the medical staff sent him right back in the game like it was nothing. And that was PRE-SEASON! The culture mirrors that of the NHL and NFL of 20 years ago where getting your bell rung is no big deal

Is it inappropriate if I fantasized he had amnesia after that concussion and the first dude who approached him told him he was Junior Hoilett, the famous Canadian Soccer player?

He better step up soon or he's going the way of the Whore. No excuses left. His spot at Blackburn is more than secured. He's their best player and he'll be moving on to bigger clubs soon enough. Play for Canada, Junior... Quit pissing around. JDG2 should be thinking Canada soon too. Nows the time