The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Guest Brethers
While maybe not the first... I'm going to say it anyway...

Jr is mostly USELESS outside of the final QUARTER of a football pitch.

Inside the box he is deadly... anywhere else he is AVERAGE AT BEST.

He is playing for a team with sh**t ownership and a caretaker manager that will be lucky to avoid relegation at best.

If he decides to man-up and support the country of his birth then great...

If not... then let his knees to the way of OH's...

Fact of the matter is it's an honour to play for this great nation and that's got nothing to do with Club.. or football...

everything to do with passion for our nation and what we stand for... just ask our Gold Medal winning Hockey team....

He isn't useless, I have watched match of the day and seen him track back and work hard (I know, it's not the best thing to use to judge a player, but it helps). Also, Rooney can be awful when tracking back defending, but he's a great talent up front so it doesn't matter too much. He doesn't need to be Beckenbauer at the back. Personally I think Hoilett's best position is in the hole.

The problem with using a hockey analogy is that Canada's hockey team is at the top of the game. If you were, say, English and Canadian and playing in the NHL you would bust your balls to make sure you had every chance of playing for Canada regardless of how English you feel you are and if you were born there. They're at the top end of the sport, the very top, and they are ambitious so they obviously want to play at the best level they can. Don't get me wrong, I'd always choose to play for Canada over England and Italy, every day of the week. I have always said this was the case if I was ever in the position of needing to choose. But you can't say that for everyone. So long as he doesn't do a ********** on us, I won't blame him if he waits out for England and chooses them. If he chooses Jamaica on the other hand...

Also, it's 5 years to gain a British passport. But I'm not sure they would accept someone into the national squad through this way, Mikel Arteta stands out to me on this. He couldn't get called up as he wasn't educated for 5 years in England before he was 18 (was Hoilett? I know he was in England from 12/13 but he may have only stayed in school until he was 16), plus as Arteta represented Spain at youth levels he was told he would have needed a British passport before his first U16 cap. I appreciate Hoilett has had no youth caps though

He isn't useless, I have watched match of the day and seen him track back and work hard (I know, it's not the best thing to use to judge a player, but it helps). Also, Rooney can be awful when tracking back defending, but he's a great talent up front so it doesn't matter too much. He doesn't need to be Beckenbauer at the back. Personally I think Hoilett's best position is in the hole.

The problem with using a hockey analogy is that Canada's hockey team is at the top of the game. If you were, say, English and Canadian and playing in the NHL you would bust your balls to make sure you had every chance of playing for Canada regardless of how English you feel you are and if you were born there. They're at the top end of the sport, the very top, and they are ambitious so they obviously want to play at the best level they can. Don't get me wrong, I'd always choose to play for Canada over England and Italy, every day of the week. I have always said this was the case if I was ever in the position of needing to choose. But you can't say that for everyone. So long as he doesn't do a ********** on us, I won't blame him if he waits out for England and chooses them. If he chooses Jamaica on the other hand...

Also, it's 5 years to gain a British passport. But I'm not sure they would accept someone into the national squad through this way, Mikel Arteta stands out to me on this. He couldn't get called up as he wasn't educated for 5 years in England before he was 18 (was Hoilett? I know he was in England from 12/13 but he may have only stayed in school until he was 16), plus as Arteta represented Spain at youth levels he was told he would have needed a British passport before his first U16 cap. I appreciate Hoilett has had no youth caps though

I don't think he has the midfield vision or passing to play in the hole... he's fine where he is... a wing mid/forward who can be expected to create magic in the box... but not much elsehere... not unlike Clint Dempsey...

Is there any chance JDG2 will choose to play for Canada?

Even if he does choose to do so, which is probably at about a 50-1 shot right now, it sounds like there are a number of administrative hoops for him to jump through before he'd be able to play, a la Nsaliwa. Don't expect him to suit up for Canada at any point over the next 4 years.

Is there any chance JDG2 will choose to play for Canada?

or any other high profile players?

If he changes his mind, he's at least a year away with paperwork and red tape.

I've never had a problem with JDG2. The kid had moved to Holland when he was 12, that he wanted to play for Holland shouldn't be a surprise. He lived there, grew up there and became the player he is, largely in part because of Dutch system. Compare that to Thunder Dan or the Whore or that other "portugese" kid or Jacob Lensky. Jonathan lived in Holland since he was 12! He lived there 8 or 9 years before he finally played for Holland. I'd prefer that he chose Canada but it wasn't hard to understand how he could have some loyalties to dutch soccer.

The deGuzman brothers together in the red and white for Canada would be just too cool. I keep my fingers crossed.

So let me get this straight, he has his contract sorted out and his club situation is stable? There seems that there would be absolutely no reason for him not to play for his country at this point then other than the fact he doesn't want to and is waiting on England or going to represent Jamaica! Has he ever set foot on the island of Jamaica?

It may be of comfort to some people that in the fantasy premier league this year only .6% of people picked Hoilett. Considering how cheap he is this means that those who follow the premier league closely (people with fantasy teams can be described as doing so) don't think much of him. Meaning either we're over-estimating his talent or that people don't give him much attention. Or both.

Guest Brethers

I think the fact that not many people picked him shows that in the midfielder area there are many top class players and not so much that people don't think he's talented. It's probably more to do with not many people knowing him, he plays for Blackburn. I picked him though

Ah my apologies, I was led to believe he had signed the 5 year deal already. Regardless, he's getting the offers, so it's only a matter of time at this point. Which brings me back to the point I was hoping people would chime in on - is there anything we should do to help encourage Canada as his international football choice?

Guest darowaan
It may be of comfort to some people that in the fantasy premier league this year only .6% of people picked Hoilett. Considering how cheap he is this means that those who follow the premier league closely (people with fantasy teams can be described as doing so) don't think much of him. Meaning either we're over-estimating his talent or that people don't give him much attention. Or both.

has more to do with him being on rovers and the scoring system. He is not likely to score a whole lot of goals for them this season and they lack a real central striker who can be a consistent threat so he wont be getting that many assists. You wont find that many players from bottom half teams being picked up by a lot of people. That number will go up though as the season goes along.

Also He has not signed a contract extension with Rovers yet the deal apparently remains on the table and has been there for the better part of a month.

I picked him... but I don't expect him to pot many... but you get points for more than just goals in the epl fantasy league... he's certainly not expected to be my main scorer

I would'nt read into that, hes listed as a Forward on the fantasy game and his stats are'nt amazing and he plays on a low scoring team. There is lots of higher scoring talent on better teams worth having in your team and on top of that he only played the 2nd half of the year so his sample size of games is'nt great with not many points. Especially when you are talking about lower table teams like Blackburn lots of good players are'nt worth a punt because those teams just don't produce enough goals, on top of the fact Hoilett is'nt a pure striker.

I picked him... but I don't expect him to pot many... but you get points for more than just goals in the epl fantasy league... he's certainly not expected to be my main scorer

I picked him too.... thought it might bring some good karma.