The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

He better step up soon or he's going the way of the Whore. No excuses left. His spot at Blackburn is more than secured. He's their best player and he'll be moving on to bigger clubs soon enough. Play for Canada, Junior... Quit pissing around. JDG2 should be thinking Canada soon too. Nows the time

I can wait until next summer. I think that's his time. Before then I'll keep my thoughts to myself :D

Why would he? He just got a move to Villareal?! He's playing CL football... If anything his head has got bigger since his Feyenoord release and he tore up at Mallorca last year.

I think the idea is that JDG2 perhaps will begin to see the writing on the wall as Holland continues to call up players younger than he is for Euro qualifiers as midfielders (Kevin Strootman, Georginio Wijnaldum) and wide players (Lens, Elia).

I think the idea is that JDG2 perhaps will begin to see the writing on the wall as Holland continues to call up players younger than he is for Euro qualifiers as midfielders (Kevin Strootman, Georginio Wijnaldum) and wide players (Lens, Elia).

I agree, everyone can see that but I think his previous decisions prove he thinks different then us.

UEFA also seems to agree that Holland is a pipe dream as they list JDG2's nationality as Canadian on uefa.com.

LOL! Although technically he should be Dutch as he gave up his Canadian citizenship a few years ago but it appears KNVB on behalf of CSA has submitted their paperwork to convert him to a Canadian through European football governing body... (I wish)

I agree, everyone can see that but I think his previous decisions prove he thinks different then us.

He seems to be the kind of guy who'd rather not play internationally than for us, especially after the comments he's made in the past. Really don't see his pride letting him crawl back regardless of how desperate he becomes.

I agree with Grigorio and Zeelaw above. The only/main attraction Jonathan had to suit up for us was to play alongside his brother and that window is closing rapidly, with every year that Julian's knees wear down. Beyond that, he doesn't appear to have a shred of national pride.

On the other hand, I still have the feeling that Hoilett will eventually come round for us, once he feels settled in England. Fingers crossed for next summer's round of qualifying.

No news in that, but I agree with Nigel's closing -

Frankly, if Hoilett is indifferent about representing Canada, I would stop calling. Any coach will tell you he only wants players who have a genuine desire and pride in the jersey. If Hoilett has been away too long, we must accept the inevitable, cut our losses and move on.

No news in that, but I agree with Nigel's closing -

Except that, you have to ask if we are good enough to qualify for the World Cup with the current team and pool of players? Can we beat Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, or Jamaica to capture that fourth spot with the current pool of players? Thats the big question. If Hart thinks he can't, then he has to press on trying to woe players like Hoilett and JDG Jr

Edited by Free kick

Rest assured that the quiet pressure is there to re-join Canada for DeGuz- even if it is "complicated" But Villarreal will raise some heads for sure, especially if he can get past the group stage. Would be interesting to be around TFC with Winter and Kouvermans basically getting inside info on the KNVB camp - they can pretty much find out how close DeGuz is to getting the call. In fact, Jonovision should have some inside contacts in the dutch camp from my recollection....

I should be able to get some info from Holland, but mostly from sports people at the Volkskrant - who might be able to opine on this question. Basically find out what the interest is...

Let's not forget that the Dutch will always keep their options open, but it is interesting that they have chosen thus far to NOT call him up just to lock him in. Is that a favor to that country which liberated them?

As for Hoilett - simple as "show me the money" -

Let's not forget that the Dutch will always keep their options open, but it is interesting that they have chosen thus far to NOT call him up just to lock him in. Is that a favor to that country which liberated them?

As crazy as it sounds anytime I get into one of those JDG2 thinking phases my mind always come around to that. You'd think that like any other football nation they would want to cap tie players like JDG2 once they have clinched, he's in their pool for life that way and it guards them against him coming back to us and suddenly becoming an international superstar.

Its better for both these players to come back to the program, umbro is stepping up sponsorship of the program.

If the both return at the same time the media can have a football "whirld wind"(The coming Home story)(and what it took for both Player(s)/Family to get them to that level).

Now "Duel" new faces of the CMN(Internationally) so pressure is shared.

Honestly this make sense Football Wise and $ and $ense Wise(Done Properly)I have seen Canada play good football in spurts, but they need the quality in the final third and these two are the answer along with the core we have.

Could give us a better attack force than the States, and maybe Slighty below Mexicos.

Rest assured that the quiet pressure is there to re-join Canada for DeGuz- even if it is "complicated" But Villarreal will raise some heads for sure, especially if he can get past the group stage. Would be interesting to be around TFC with Winter and Kouvermans basically getting inside info on the KNVB camp - they can pretty much find out how close DeGuz is to getting the call. In fact, Jonovision should have some inside contacts in the dutch camp from my recollection....

I should be able to get some info from Holland, but mostly from sports people at the Volkskrant - who might be able to opine on this question. Basically find out what the interest is...

As for Hoilett - simple as "show me the money" -

Its seems that JDG2 is not on the radar for the Dutch. JDG2 can't make the 29 man preliminary roster for their upcoming Euro 2012 qualifier that they have already qualified for, and after a move to Villareal.

The kid doesn't have Canadian passport or citizenship that I am aware of. The story is put to bed. The only guy we can focus on now is Junior....unless JDG comes out and says he wants to play for Canada.

He twittered last month how much he wanted to play for Holland.

Its seems that JDG2 is not on the radar for the Dutch. JDG2 can't make the 29 man preliminary roster for their upcoming Euro 2012 qualifier that they have already qualified for, and after a move to Villareal.

The Dutch clearly just don't care for him and I don't blame them. As a I said previously to them he's a FOREIGNER (Jonathan should know this from the bullying he had to put up with as a youth at Feyenoord)... just wanna say here, if I was a canuck who moved to Holland and I was bullied for being a canuck at football I wouldn't be like "I want to play for Oranje!!", I think most people would be like "$*@# you, ya I am a Canuck" and I'd lead my damn country and show them we CAN play football.

Imagine a dutch hockey player coming here when he was 12 to play in the GTHL, at 16 he's playing in the OHL and is one of the best players in the CHL by his NHL draft year (he's also been ribbed along the way and made enemies simply by the fact he's "different", sure he can speak and understand english but he still has a dutch accent that other players pick on). By this time he's 18 and he's suddenly thinking "Hey, I'd like to play for Canada" (maybe an Austrian hockey player would be a better example here as they have a decent team but you get the point). When he's 19 Canada calls him up to their WJC team (he is after all one of the best junior players in the country) and he puts in some good performances. The WJC ends and he waits... (let's pretend there is no world championship and only "A" teams are called to IIHF games). It's 6 years down the road, he's playing first line right wing on a playoff bound team and it comes time for Canada Hockey to choose their Olympic team. Now Canada Hockey, just like the Dutch FA have an insane amount of talent to choose from... both have crashed out of tournaments in the past despite this fact. So what's the problem? Clearly the talent is there but the coaches of both teams need to choose a cohesive TEAM to win their respective tournaments... Now when it's a NATIONAL team, especially one with a NATIONAL LANGUAGE and HISTORY, you are going to have problems when someone threatens to change that (can you imagine a guy with a heavy German or Dutch accent playing on Team Canada ahead of one of our other 1000 crazy talented CANADIANS). Now, if this Dutch hockey player was someone who was going to the Hall of Fame and could actually be a KEY player sure we would consider him. But if he's going to be a fringe player... who in their right mind would &*%$ up their team?

^^ Jonathan De Guzman right there

Well said Keegan, never thought of it that way.

The press in this country would lose their marbles if HC took a foreign born player over a born and bred Canadian. And before it happens, Owen Nolan and Dany Heatley were raised in this country from the time they were very young. And Petr Nedved was on an Olympic team full of amateurs.

The kid doesn't have Canadian passport or citizenship that I am aware of. The story is put to bed. The only guy we can focus on now is Junior....unless JDG comes out and says he wants to play for Canada.

He twittered last month how much he wanted to play for Holland.

Given that he was born in Canada, it shouldn't be too hard for him to regain his passport (not sure if he also gave up his citizenship).

Given that he was born in Canada, it shouldn't be too hard for him to regain his passport (not sure if he also gave up his citizenship).

In the interview he did with the soccer show out of Vancouver last January he said he gave up his passport. From my understanding that is the same as giving up your citizenship. So in order to become a Canadian citizen he would have to reapply just as anyone else would. So the option of him returning to play for Canada is still alive... I think.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce.asp

The Dutch clearly just don't care for him and I don't blame them. As a I said previously to them he's a FOREIGNER (Jonathan should know this from the bullying he had to put up with as a youth at Feyenoord)... just wanna say here, if I was a canuck who moved to Holland and I was bullied for being a canuck at football I wouldn't be like "I want to play for Oranje!!", I think most people would be like "$*@# you, ya I am a Canuck" and I'd lead my damn country and show them we CAN play football.

Imagine a dutch hockey player coming here when he was 12 to play in the GTHL, at 16 he's playing in the OHL and is one of the best players in the CHL by his NHL draft year (he's also been ribbed along the way and made enemies simply by the fact he's "different", sure he can speak and understand english but he still has a dutch accent that other players pick on). By this time he's 18 and he's suddenly thinking "Hey, I'd like to play for Canada" (maybe an Austrian hockey player would be a better example here as they have a decent team but you get the point). When he's 19 Canada calls him up to their WJC team (he is after all one of the best junior players in the country) and he puts in some good performances. The WJC ends and he waits... (let's pretend there is no world championship and only "A" teams are called to IIHF games). It's 6 years down the road, he's playing first line right wing on a playoff bound team and it comes time for Canada Hockey to choose their Olympic team. Now Canada Hockey, just like the Dutch FA have an insane amount of talent to choose from... both have crashed out of tournaments in the past despite this fact. So what's the problem? Clearly the talent is there but the coaches of both teams need to choose a cohesive TEAM to win their respective tournaments... Now when it's a NATIONAL team, especially one with a NATIONAL LANGUAGE and HISTORY, you are going to have problems when someone threatens to change that (can you imagine a guy with a heavy German or Dutch accent playing on Team Canada ahead of one of our other 1000 crazy talented CANADIANS). Now, if this Dutch hockey player was someone who was going to the Hall of Fame and could actually be a KEY player sure we would consider him. But if he's going to be a fringe player... who in their right mind would &*%$ up their team?

^^ Jonathan De Guzman right there

evidence suggests that countries with loads of talent (ie Europe) still pick players from the rest of the world (Non-Europe) whenever they please. If DeGuz wants to work on getting a passport in Canada - he can do that. I really think something could be done.