Canada announces roster for Belarus match

loyola

Teibert had a bright start but I'd like to see how he does against some better MLS defenders than Gargan or nonexistent defensive types playing in the TFC midfield. But he has promise, for sure. I also like to see how Dunfield looks after some more matches against stronger MLS midfields and see how he does, but I could see him being in the mix come GC time. He doesn't dwell on the ball too long but looks to move it simply and quickly to the open man and that's good at any level.

As for Friend, he's going to need to string together some big time performances, friendlies or GC, to win detractors over. With no DeRo on the scene, and with Hutchinson in the driver's seat of the attacking mid position, maybe they can build some chemistry that I thought existed way back in the 07 Venezuela friendly and subsequent GC match vs CR, but that's a stretch, granted.

Gerba's absence is not a big issue for me. He's a pro, knows his limitations at this time of the year: why risk getting crocked up? He'll be in the mix come May/June.

I know that RSL has been willing to release Johnson but if he ended up with a serious injury on international duty, they might re-consider their position.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if he has a good game can we really afford to ignore him?

I'm not a big Friend fan but I've often defended the idea that a player should be, in part, assess for his recent performances more than past achievements or bad performances. If you are Hart and Rob gives you an inspiring performance against Belarus you might be tempted by going with him again to see if he can go on a streak.

Remember, I was in favour of calling OO instead of Friend for Belarus but I never liked to see players refusing calls like Gerba did (he doesn't have an important club game in that spell). Gerba is far away from being a sure starter for our MNT and WCQ is coming soon. He should be in Antalya showing everyone what he can do instead of waiting for his next chance to do it.

Villus, DeRo and Cann showed up in Greece and DeRo had a good game. Gerba could've done the same IMO.

Normally I would agree, but Gerbas issues in the past have been with fitness and maintaining a playing shape. From what I've read on here Gerba looked llike he was in really good shape last year so maybe hes trying to follow a strict routine to be ready. Don't know much about Cann but DeRo has had a history of being in top shape and he was in camp with Celtic around that time no?

Normally I would agree, but Gerbas issues in the past have been with fitness and maintaining a playing shape. From what I've read on here Gerba looked llike he was in really good shape last year so maybe hes trying to follow a strict routine to be ready. Don't know much about Cann but DeRo has had a history of being in top shape and he was in camp with Celtic around that time no?

Actually Montreal fans were saying that Gerba was in the best shape they've seen him in, not sure who said that but someone on here

I want Gerba in the mix, but I think giving Friend a chance when hes in season is a good idea. Friend has to be on the cusp of being dropped, I don't think its fully his fault because we don't have the players to utilize him but come Gold Cup we should know if we are going to rely on Friend or go to someone like Gerba or OO.

Actually Montreal fans were saying that Gerba was in the best shape they've seen him in, not sure who said that but someone on here

I think several said that myself included. I saw him a few weeks ago at training camp and he looked a bit heavy to me but he is also has a stocky body type so it hard to tell how fit he is until you see him running at full speed on the pitch in a game. And it has to be said that until last year with the Impact, I seldom saw him run on the pitch at full speed. From what I have heard, his new fitness/attitude has a lot to do with his relationship with and the training he is receiving under Marc dos Santos. Also one shouldn't forget that when he first joined the Impact everyone expected him to score right away and for quite a few games he didn't score before getting his timing back and going on a tear. Given these things, I think if he feels it is better to stay with the Impact and prepare in the way he thinks best I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. A striker not only needs to be game fit but also needs to develop his timing to score goals and that takes some competitive matches. I would rather see a fit and on fire Gerba at the Gold Cup than him in Belarus in the form he showed during the first few games he played with Montreal.

I'm sorry but enough of this nonsense.

Even he scores a hattrick vs sad-sack Belarus it doesn't erase the fact that Rob Friend has scored TWO GOALS IN 28 APPEARANCES!!! He's 30. His own B2 club doesn't have faith in him. Can we all move on, people, Hart included?

Sad sack Belarus? They have been doing very well lately, are ranked 37th by FIFA and are challenging France for first place in their group in Euro qualification. They beat France 1-0 in Paris in September in qualification. The majority of their players who see the pitch play in the Russian Premier League or better so this is anything but a sad-sack team.

Sad sack Belarus? They have been doing very well lately, are ranked 37th by FIFA and are challenging France for first place in their group in Euro qualification. They beat France 1-0 in Paris in September in qualification. The majority of their players who see the pitch play in the Russian Premier League or better so this is anything but a sad-sack team.

Fair enough. Comment retracted and changed to read, "Even he scores a hattrick vs Belarus it doesn't erase the fact that sad-sack Rob Friend has scored TWO GOALS IN 28 APPEARANCES!!!

In Gerba case I'm wondering how much the decision is coming from MTL coaching staff? It seems they have not much to lose by allowing him to attend. It seems from reading St-Germain article that it's Ali decision alone.

The Impact always supported their players when they wanted to play for their national teams, remember the 2005 Gold Cup with 4 Impact players (Gerba Grande Sutton and Leduc), There is also the exemple of Togolese international Zanzan who played twice in Africa during the season he did with the Impact.

Here are the strike rates for players I would classify as strikers or forwards for Canada.

Oliver Occean: 2 in 19 (10.5%)

Rob Friend: 2 in 29 (6.9%)

Stephen Ademolu: 0 in 5 (0%)

Iain Hume: 2 in 28 (7.1%)

Simeon Jackson: 2 in 14 (14.3%)

Ali Gerba: 15 in 29 (51.7%)

None of them are any good except Gerba. Throw in Dwayne (26.8%) and those are our goals. Sadly, even Julian de Guzman (9.1%) has a better strike rate than Hume, Friend, and Josh Simpson. Kevin McKenna (20.8%) blows them all out of the water except Gerba. Even Stalteri (8.3%) is up there. Our strikers, save Gerba, don't score and it's not JUST a Rob Friend problem.

straight out of wiki and also has played 35% more games and is younger to boot compared to most

and some others no offence to him or any. Just want to set record straight why you guys like to leave him out is your business but do mis quote,.

bigbird

Note: Uccello has 5 out of 7 teams, he has played for in Italy has been top goal scorer of that team. Uccello (77 goals in Italy) has a scoring average of " a goal every 162 minutes played (total 12,500 minutes), up to last year final results of 2010 season.

[edit] International

straight out of wiki and also has played 35% more games and is younger to boot compared to most

and some others no offence to him or any. Just want to set record straight why you guys like to leave him out is your business but do mis quote,.

bigbird

Note: Uccello has 5 out of 7 teams, he has played for in Italy has been top goal scorer of that team. Uccello (77 goals in Italy) has a scoring average of " a goal every 162 minutes played (total 12,500 minutes), up to last year final results of 2010 season.

[edit] International

Not sure what you are trying to say here? Are you saying that Julian should have been called to this match?

Not sure what you are trying to say here? Are you saying that Julian should have been called to this match?

Only one person has the right to call him and its not you unless your Hart, nor me and or him so lets not go down that path.

We want Canada do well and simple with or without Julian makes no differnce as long as the result is there.

I'm just kringing and really surprised from most of you in this forum that like to leave him out of this picture. Totally ignoring him, conversation after conversation. Which is ok in the most part with me as well as Julian who may or may not read this but I decided to stay out of these conversation becasue of this. But in Italian there is a saying "si sta rompendo le palle"

I wish not to translate in case there are childern under the age of 18.

the bottom line is Julian year after year games after game has proven to be a natural goal scorer and ther is no one better then him on record witht the amout of games he has and still today as young as he is that has more success then many would like to have had with the minutes he has played, for him this is not just one year thing on record this is a constant display of goal socring talent,.

who knows how to ball in the net but yet you guys completly ignore him.

this is not a call thing keegan this is the right thing to do specially that i am bigbird.

I think Lega Pro Div 2 is scraping the bottom of the barrel but considering we've called McCallum up from the English fourth tier, I don't see why we wouldn't give Uccello a shot.

What funny he played little bird did not but McCallum played 5 minutes for CMT and scored a goal many that have not lololololol and has not been called since hummmmm

And Julian is not Serie Lega pro 2 player. He is a Serie B player but on loan just to help them out of the relegation but will be back with them in July. and for the next 3 years. rather then minutes this year in Serie B games.

I say McCallum and Uccello as stikers will serve our country well when the time is called upon lololol I like him and young too

What funny he played little bird did not but McCallum played 5 minutes for CMT and scored a goal many that have not lololololol and has not been called since hummmmm

And Julian is not Serie Lega pro 2 player. He is a Serie B player but on loan just to help them out of the relegation but will be back with them in July. and for the next 3 years. rather then minutes this year in Serie B games.

I say McCallum and Uccello as stikers will serve our country well when the time is called upon lololol I like him and young too

Has Julian even scored a goal this season?

I can’t help but agree with BigBird on this one, Uccello is getting the minutes that Hart is demanding and I wouldn’t be too worried about what he is doing in league as some players (ie. Klose) seem to excel at the international level, which, unfortunately, Friend does not. There should be no reason why Uccello is not at least in the conversation about possible strikers.

Has Julian even scored a goal this season?

i can tell by your stupid message by the word EVEN score this year i not going there you know nothing about football.

If he was healthy he would have and be leading the scoring title you jerk now bugger off you busting them

Unfortunately he has not as he has been strugglin with an injury to his arm. Casale do not want to cause any problems with loan agreement and conditions attached of his loan from Serie B team Crotone, so he is out for one month till april 14th. Julian suffered a impact blow with cleets has not played since after the first game of his loan in January. He saw limited time tried but was not able to help in his condition and was getting worse he wanted to play but doctors put a stop to it so unless cleared by the doctors to go ahead no games.

Archived