Canada announces roster for Belarus match

loyola

I don't remember Rob having a good game against Honduras. Apart from being involved in the goal he was loosing possession too easily for my liking. Anyways, he's there now and I hope he plays well against Belarus.

Here's who I would start:

Borjan

Peters--Mckenna--Edgar--Kluka

------Johnson--Pacheco------

Jackson-----Atiba--------Simpson

---------Friend------------------

Pacheco is a holding mid?? As far as I am concerned, with Atiba pushed forward we do need a possession-based deep lying player to support Johnson. Ie, Johnson wins it or cuts it out and Pacheco distributes. Peters and Kluka should both be bombing forward, and Jackson can then push more central to support Friend when we have possession - Peters and Johnson have the speed and fitness to cover that flank and slide back into central positions if/when we lose possession and play is switched to our left flank.

Good line-up all things considered. Though how nice would it be to have Hoilett in for Jackson!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pacheco is a holding mid??...

In a terrific RedNation interview (posted a few weeks back), Pedro mentions that he can play anywhere in the middle of the park. Sounds like he's a bit of a box-to-box (allround) midfielder, which is always a useful player to have on the pitch (assuming his level of play is up to par).

http://www.rednationonline.ca/RedNationInterviewSeriesPedroPacheco.aspx

pacheco is a holding mid?? As far as i am concerned, with atiba pushed forward we do need a possession-based deep lying player to support johnson. Ie, johnson wins it or cuts it out and pacheco distributes. Peters and kluka should both be bombing forward, and jackson can then push more central to support friend when we have possession - peters and johnson have the speed and fitness to cover that flank and slide back into central positions if/when we lose possession and play is switched to our left flank.

Good line-up all things considered. Though how nice would it be to have hoilett in for friend!

fyp

I'm away from the computer for the next few days, so my final hope prior to this match is that Hutchinson has a really strong game in an attacking mid role and finally drive it home to Hart that he is the clear first choice in that spot of the field.

Picking a road upset: 1-0 (Simpson)

Very surprised to read that de Jong was overlooked for this squad and it wasn't a case of club conflict or injury. Kluka would still start ahead of him IMO but de Jong brings a lot to the table, is a good deadball hitter and can effectively play midfield as well. One knock from Kluka and we are back at emergency fill-ins at LB again. Doesn't make much sense from where I'm sitting.

Very surprised to read that de Jong was overlooked for this squad and it wasn't a case of club conflict or injury. Kluka would still start ahead of him IMO but de Jong brings a lot to the table, is a good deadball hitter and can effectively play midfield as well. One knock from Kluka and we are back at emergency fill-ins at LB again. Doesn't make much sense from where I'm sitting.

It makes sense to me, why call in a guy like De Jong who is probably one of our top 10 players among club status (playing and on a good team) to sit on the bench and risk him losing that spot? Clearly Klukowski is going to go 90 so why not give a look to some others in training, keep in mind Hainault can also play left back. De Jong is a guarantee for the Gold Cup squad anyways

It makes sense to me, why call in a guy like De Jong who is probably one of our top 10 players among club status (playing and on a good team) to sit on the bench and risk him losing that spot? Clearly Klukowski is going to go 90 so why not give a look to some others in training, keep in mind Hainault can also play left back. De Jong is a guarantee for the Gold Cup squad anyways

My thoughts exactly, especially when you consider Dobson quote from Hart about "knowing what we have in De Jong." I imagine that Hart explained that he wanted to give someone else a look in case anything happens in the future.

My thoughts exactly, especially when you consider Dobson quote from Hart about "knowing what we have in De Jong." I imagine that Hart explained that he wanted to give someone else a look in case anything happens in the future.

Ok, but then who is the new LB/LM getting a look in this camp? I'm still confused...

Issey is not new but he is a LM getting a look for the first time since Venezuela match... He'll probably sub in for Simpson since they play the same position and similar style.

The last match I watched with him he was playing up top for Horsens (alone from how I saw it), sort of how we saw him vs. Honduras. If Friend isn't doing much I think we'll see him come on for him.

The last match I watched with him he was playing up top for Horsens (alone from how I saw it), sort of how we saw him vs. Honduras. If Friend isn't doing much I think we'll see him come on for him.

Interesting... well if Simpson should get a look at the top, I don't see why Issey cannot... The man has skills. Check out this video.

I think what he lacks is field awareness and football IQ... kinda like Dero. High skill, low IQ.

Archived