Canada announces roster for Belarus match

loyola

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent squad, but Hume has to be there. This is a disappointing. Also JBB ahead of Bernier?? Really??? JBB getting time to develop when we already know about Bernier I suppose...

What about Issey....And De Jong....in my opinion both should be involved. Adding Issey, De Jong, and Hume to the squad brings us to 21....so maybe 2 of those 3.

I had wondered why not GAGE but I see he is with u20's.

Hume must have been left out because of his club's situation I can't see why else he wouldn't be there and I can't remember Hart saying he didn't fit in the scheme.

I looked into it, PNE has no matches from March 19th to April 2nd. Doesn't really fit the excuse does it?

I looked into it, PNE has no matches from March 19th to April 2nd. Doesn't really fit the excuse does it?

The Championship respects FIFA dates so that's not it! I found his quote from the Rednation article prior to the Greece match:

The manager also stated that his decision to exclude in-form striker Iain Hume, who has been playing 90 minutes week-in and week-out at Preston North End, was purely a tactical decision with Hart favouring the wide play of Hume’s league colleague Simeon Jackson.

“Simeon has been filling in on the right side with the national team. Iain's primary playing position is up front just behind the striker and we felt that we need somebody in the wide right position. It's as simple as that.”

Hart can't be that rigid in his player selection, many of them have to play a slightly different role with the MNT than their club just because of preferred formation, not every club in the world plays Hart's 4-5-1, maybe he should look at playing Hume where Jackson has been!

^ Thanks Gator. That's the interview/article I remember, along with other quotes relating to being happy with his selections (other than those not available due to injury).

Hume's lack of inclusion is a concern. If one were to browse through the MNT game recaps for the past year and half, one would see just how few playing minutes Hume has played. [edit: I just looked it up and Hume has played a total of 27 minutes (as a sub vs Peru) since the November 2009 game vs Macedonia (where he started and played 64 minutes).]

You guys are forgetting how terrible Humes' touches and short passing are at the international level. For a team that wants to hold on to possession of the ball having him out there as the #10 is not conducive to the game plan. Last 15 miunutes of a game with nothing to lose and scrambling for some offense? Sure. But not when you want a methodical build up.

You guys are forgetting how terrible Humes' touches and short passing are at the international level. For a team that wants to hold on to possession of the ball having him out there as the #10 is not conducive to the game plan. Last 15 miunutes of a game with nothing to lose and scrambling for some offense? Sure. But not when you want a methodical build up.

I was going to say, am I the only one who remembers how generally poorly his lower division skills seem to translate to the higher international level of play, as opposed to say a Gerba or Occean?

That happened because he played out of his natural position, playing as a right winger. IMO, right now he's ahead of Jackson and should be included in the starting XI in forward position but we all know Hart will never change his 4-5-1 formation and the lone striker can't never be a small player like Hume.

Doesn't matter if he's playing forward or attacking mid in this formation, he's still going to rush the play by forcing a ball in somewhere it can never make it or making an inaccurate pass and giving up possession. Even if we switch to a 4-4-2 he's going to play the only way he knows how to be effective - going 100mph.

Doesn't matter if he's playing forward or attacking mid in this formation, he's still going to rush the play by forcing a ball in somewhere it can never make it or making an inaccurate pass and giving up possession. Even if we switch to a 4-4-2 he's going to play the only way he knows how to be effective - going 100mph.

I don't understand how you can make these conclusions before Hume gets tested at his natural position. Anyway, I don't think he'll have the chance to prove himself in such conditions.

Yes. Capable of playing all across the back line.

Speaking of utility roles, surprised no one's mentioned that Pozniak wasn't called.

Which brings me to another question, why not calling 20-23 players with a week of training before we play Belarus? Players like Pozniak, OO and Hume (or others) could've been included....

I don't understand how you can make these conclusions before Hume gets tested at his natural position. Anyway, I don't think he'll have the chance to prove himself in such conditions.

Because he has been, in our old system earlier in the decade. I've been watching the guy since the U20 qualifiers in 2001. He's all motor, no touch. Very effective when you know how to use him and when to use him. I'd call him up, but not as a starter ahead of Jackson on the wing, Hutch in the AM role or any of our Forwards.

I'll tell you again, if he's to play for our MNT, it must be only as a striker. Nobody asked to give a player (Hume or any other player) Hutch's position.

Didn't he do that against South Africa? Seemed like that experiment went pretty poorly.

I don't think playing time should trump skill in all cases. Yes, it's great that he and Pozniak have been playing regularly, however I'd still prefer to Jackson and some of the other current benchwarmers on my team.

Of course, I'm still a fan of Rob Friend so do what you will with that. One day everything will click for him, I'm sure of it. Then I'll expect full written and notarized apologies from Lord Bob, Nolando, Loyola etc...

it thats time to give you the stats as I see it.

Again it seems obvious that Canada continues to call older players for these call ups. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. Based on previous post of mine

average age is for this match is 26. quite a bit up from Ukr. and slightly from the Greece match.

Total value has of the 18 players is apprx 15-16 million transfer value.

They have called 5 players of the age of 30 and older

4 of which are defenders and a keeper.

What a waste im sorry in this area 1 or 2 at the max in total in this area. maybe the keeper and one defender at best. bring in youth in this area woould have been a better choice.

Midfield selection

|Strong in my opinion of choices but will deeply missing Farran and Dejong to raise the level of atiba and simpson. Johnson is not at their level, nor fit yet for 90 minutes and can only play MLS style soccer which will hurt Attiba and simpson play.

Forwards again lack of scoring talent and playing time. With the exception of Friend no one there that excites me that I can see as match fit. This would have been a good time for a call up for either Mccallum or Uccello IMO.

Ricketts and the other forwards really nothing there. More so Ricketts at the moment need to prove himself he belongs with games with his club not at here at thsi level. There are more deserving player better then him right know that should have a chance.

My assesment of this group according to the previuos stats i put up for the greece match thread. This is a step backwards I do not see a good result here with this group playing a team who is weaker and more match fit to play 90 minutes and canada outside best is a tie.

I see too many mistakes in the back and it could cost them a loss but over all a sloppy game as well as boring match.

The Championship respects FIFA dates so that's not it! I found his quote from the Rednation article prior to the Greece match:

The manager also stated that his decision to exclude in-form striker Iain Hume, who has been playing 90 minutes week-in and week-out at Preston North End, was purely a tactical decision with Hart favouring the wide play of Hume’s league colleague Simeon Jackson.

“Simeon has been filling in on the right side with the national team. Iain's primary playing position is up front just behind the striker and we felt that we need somebody in the wide right position. It's as simple as that.”

Hart can't be that rigid in his player selection, many of them have to play a slightly different role with the MNT than their club just because of preferred formation, not every club in the world plays Hart's 4-5-1, maybe he should look at playing Hume where Jackson has been!

I read this not as Hart not rating Hume but choosing Jackson over him because he plays on the right where we are lacking while Hume usually plays as a wide left striker very similar to Simpson. If both Jackson and Hume were on the right it would be a toss up between them although Jackson is younger and technically stronger. However, a choice between Simpson and Hume is absolutely no contest. Hume is not the ideal guy to play with Simpson at the same time, lacking the ball skills to work together with Simpson. However, he is one of the logical subs/injury replacements for Simpson so Hart should be trying to get Hume some game time soon in case Simpson is unavailable or needs to be subbed out in a game. I do agree with those who say Hume has for the most part been disappointing on the international level and that his weaknesses get revealed at this level. I think he is one of the guys that suffered training in England as opposed to the continent where he probably would have developed better technical skills.

Calling Friend worries me that Hart is still clinging on to the 4-5-1 idea. If you are going to use either Friend or Occean you have to build the team around them and we do not have the players available to do this effectively. Additionally, this tactic would be too one dimensional for my liking. I think we really need to build the attack around Simpson and hopefully Hart will try this for at least one half.

Archived