Canada announces roster for Belarus match

loyola

you woill never see hutchinson repeat with this group, and what the hell does speed have to do with it when you cannot play a full 90 not match fit and cannot put the ball in the net. This is not a 100 meter run game there is more to it then speed and surely he may have that but really he has nothing to offer this group and a waste of CMT inviting him and money.

Johnson deserve the bench as he too is not really in form to play 90 minutes and really he style o0f play is bruttle like i said before he runs like a chicken with his head cut off up to his mouth. He reminds me of my baby brother when he does get his ice cream he cries and throws things up in the air with a tanterm. He belong at best on the bench and even still he should remain with his club in the mls as his style will not be tolerated in qualifying.

Johnson has consistently performed vs. teams in our region and also just played 90 vs. Saprissa in the champions league. So a) he is match fit and B) his style is fine

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I agree. Johnson has been getting an education in CONCACAF Champions League and will learn to adjust his game accordingly. I'm not sure he's a starter for every match, but he has an important role to play and I'd call him into every 18 or 20 man squad if RSL will let him go.

^ I agree. Johnson has been getting an education in CONCACAF Champions League and will learn to adjust his game accordingly. I'm not sure he's a starter for every match, but he has an important role to play and I'd call him into every 18 or 20 man squad if RSL will let him go.

not better then farran and dejong buy a long shot he is a bench player at the best that is it. he can have all the training he wants but lacks euro style and that what effects hutch and simpson, that why hutch and others played so well in ukrainewith all euro players called for that match. funny evrytime that he is in the LINE UP WITH OTHER MATCHES atiba is useless and simspon the same and the team drops a level in the midfield and you want to add dero to this picture hahahahahh

come on i am watching the same games you are tapes of tale do not lie

He plays a totally different role than Nakajima-Farran and De Jong. De Jong is a defender while Nakajima-Farran is a wide attacking midfielder. Neither possesses the defensive game that Johnson provides. As much as we want Canada to play sexy football, if we qualify for 2014 it will be because we had a midfield that set out to stall and frustrate our opponent.

He plays a totally different role than Nakajima-Farran and De Jong. De Jong is a defender while Nakajima-Farran is a wide attacking midfielder. Neither possesses the defensive game that Johnson provides. As much as we want Canada to play sexy football, if we qualify for 2014 it will be because we had a midfield that set out to stall and frustrate our opponent.

you got to friggen win games dude this is not a role thing and a speed thing this is a battle on the field with rules. no disrespect here on your points but your are dream with those two and the oldies that are mentioned. in that case why not ask ben johsnon to come and join the team and rock baboa to play the midfield. hahahahahah

you know what i change my result 2-1 for the home team if johnson and 3 of the oldies start this match.

ask the question why why why and never settle for less till the answers are given by the press force them to answer your questions not theirs.

you woill never see hutchinson repeat with this group, and what the hell does speed have to do with it when you cannot play a full 90 not match fit and cannot put the ball in the net. This is not a 100 meter run game there is more to it then speed and surely he may have that but really he has nothing to offer this group and a waste of CMT inviting him and money.

Johnson deserve the bench as he too is not really in form to play 90 minutes and really he style o0f play is bruttle like i said before he runs like a chicken with his head cut off up to his mouth. He reminds me of my baby brother when he does not get his ice cream he cries and throws things up in the air with a tanterm. He belong at best on the bench and even still he should remain with his club in the mls as his style will not be tolerated in qualifying.

dero sure whjy not add anothe oldie to the list of mine man o man wake up you guys stand up and speak up ask the questions as to why why why till you get the ansewer to them and not settle for any things else after this loss on march 29th starting asking the question wc is just around the corner and not much more time left.

I should start off my response by saying that I have been an Issey fan and have posted so on this forum numerous times: I like skill level but also his build up play and decision making with his passing. In fact, if I were to dig up one of my previous posts from a long while ago you would read that I actually rated him better than Simpson, a player who to me was more athlete (i.e. relying on pace) than technical/tactical footballer. But as it has turned out, Simpson has been able to take his game to the next level whereas Issey seems to stuck at the same level for the last couple of years, so I'm left to ponder why that is.

I haven't seen Ricketts play before, apart from his last limited sub appearance, so I'm interested in seeing what he brings to the mix. Perhaps you have seen more of his recent play at club level, I don't know. I totally agree that speed isn't the be all and end all of evaluating one player ahead of another, but it certainly is a key component when the other areas of comparison are a trade off.

I was surprised to see De Jong off the list but we don't know what the background is surrounding his exclusion (injury?) and maybe Issey has had something come up which has resulted in his absence, so I'm a little hard pressed to find other Euro guys that you feel should be selected ahead of Johnson.

I should start off my response by saying that I have been an Issey fan and have posted so on this forum numerous times: I like skill level but also his build up play and decision making with his passing. In fact, if I were to dig up one of my previous posts from a long while ago you would read that I actually rated him better than Simpson, a player who to me was more athlete (i.e. relying on pace) than technical/tactical footballer. But as it has turned out, Simpson has been able to take his game to the next level whereas Issey seems to stuck at the same level for the last couple of years, so I'm left to ponder why that is.

I haven't seen Ricketts play before, apart from his last limited sub appearance, so I'm interested in seeing what he brings to the mix. Perhaps you have seen more of his recent play at club level, I don't know. I totally agree that speed isn't the be all and end all of evaluating one player ahead of another, but it certainly is a key component when the other areas of comparison are a trade off.

I was surprised to see De Jong off the list but we don't know what the background is surrounding his exclusion (injury?) and maybe Issey has had something come up which has resulted in his absence, so I'm a little hard pressed to find other Euro guys that you feel should be selected ahead of Johnson.

im not saying to add more to the list i am saying he may have a seat to others that are better then him and should be on the bench not start by anymeans with these players in the line up dejong, simpson, hutch, farran, pacheo, jackson, bernice. ledgewood. and maybe even go farther go into the u23 pool and bring another player on trial not inviting him and leaving johnson with his mls team. i would take anyone of these players over johsnon sorry but facts are facts this is not MLS soccer . this is euro qualiying where style of play and abilty to play possession is half the battle. and he has niether of those quailties.

and in imo farran is a great player and owesome style far better then johnson will ever be.

and in imo farran is a great player and owesome style far better then johnson will ever be.

Will Johnson is a defensive midfielder. de Guzman and Bernier are injured/not match fit and I think he's the next best thing as a DM. (Hutch also, but I prefer to have Hutch has an attacking Midfielder). Issey is not a defensive midfielder. It's almost saying de Guzman is better than Friend so we should put de Guzman as a striker. I rate Johnson highly on this team and I'd say he's part of the team for the cycle.

Will Johnson is fit. He's done great for Canada as an holding mid. His play against Honduras was great and he was better than Hutch as a DM against Greece. I don't know what you hate in Will aside the fact that he plays for an MLS squad. He's been great playing for us.

You're comparing a DM to a winger.

If we're comparing DMs. I would say that Johnson is better than JBB or Ledgerwood, from what I saw of them. I would even say he is maybe even better than Bernier as a DM.

But yeah I'm with you that Issey should be called. He's been great in that role of a super sub to give fresh legs on the wings. I hope Hart hasn't forgotten about Issey and that he will call him for the Gold Cup.

Simpson has been able to take his game to the next level whereas Issey seems to stuck at the same level for the last couple of years, so I'm left to ponder why that is..

Maybe hard work ... From what I've read of Simpson he takes his job very seriously..

In the article Hart says that Gerba said to him that he had'nt played a real game in a while and that he wanted to concentrate on his preparation. Gerba is still a candidate for the Gold Cup despite playing at a lower level. Bernier also talked with Hart but he is not quite redy yet following a recent injury.

Hart also mentinned that he wanted to play two games prior to the Gold Cup.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/soccer/2011/03/21/001-gerba-canada-hart.shtml

In the article Hart says that Gerba said to him that he had'nt played a real game in a while and that he wanted to concentrate on his preparation. Gerba is still a candidate for the Gold Cup despite playing at a lower level. Bernier also talked with Hart but he is not quite redy yet following a recent injury.

Hart also mentinned that he wanted to play two games prior to the Gold Cup.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/soccer/2011/03/21/001-gerba-canada-hart.shtml

Respect to him for actually concentrating on his club, it would be nice if he could stay the rest of his career with Montreal. A lifeline for Rob Friend, he really needs to score.

Impact season starts on April 9 if I'm not mistaken so I don't really understand why Ali would pass on that occasion? Nothing to lose by showing up in Antalya.

Imagine if Rob Friend has a strong showing and scores 2 goals...unlikely but you never know.

I respect Gerba for that, as an athlete if you come into camp with a bunch of guys that are at game shape and you are a competitor you are going to push yourself and that can lead to injuries. I don't really think he or the team gains much, better to concentrate on his buildup for the beginning of his season. Also if he shows up and is off the pace because he is'nt in game shape it could hamper Harts view of him (doubtful but possible). I want to see Ali G with the MNT, but I want to see him game fit and in the Gold Cup.

Imagine if Rob Friend has a strong showing and scores 2 goals...unlikely but you never know.

I'm sorry but enough of this nonsense.

Even he scores a hattrick vs sad-sack Belarus it doesn't erase the fact that Rob Friend has scored TWO GOALS IN 28 APPEARANCES!!! He's 30. His own B2 club doesn't have faith in him. Can we all move on, people, Hart included?

I'm sorry but enough of this nonsense.

Even he scores a hattrick vs sad-sack Belarus it doesn't erase the fact that Rob Friend has scored TWO GOALS IN 28 APPEARANCES!!! He's 30. His own B2 club doesn't have faith in him. Can we all move on, people, Hart included?

Well, if he has a good game can we really afford to ignore him?

I'm not a big Friend fan but I've often defended the idea that a player should be, in part, assess for his recent performances more than past achievements or bad performances. If you are Hart and Rob gives you an inspiring performance against Belarus you might be tempted by going with him again to see if he can go on a streak.

Remember, I was in favour of calling OO instead of Friend for Belarus but I never liked to see players refusing calls like Gerba did (he doesn't have an important club game in that spell). Gerba is far away from being a sure starter for our MNT and WCQ is coming soon. He should be in Antalya showing everyone what he can do instead of waiting for his next chance to do it.

Villus, DeRo and Cann showed up in Greece and DeRo had a good game. Gerba could've done the same IMO.

Well, if he has a good game can we really afford to ignore him?

I'm not a big Friend fan but I've often defended the idea that a player should be, in part, assess for his recent performances more than past achievements or bad performances. If you are Hart and Rob gives you an inspiring performance against Belarus you might be tempted by going with him again to see if he can go on a streak.

Remember, I was in favour of calling OO instead of Friend for Belarus but I never liked to see players refusing calls like Gerba did (he doesn't have an important club game in that spell). Gerba is far away from being a sure starter for our MNT and WCQ is coming soon. He should be in Antalya showing everyone what he can do instead of waiting for his next chance to do it.

Villus, DeRo and Cann showed up in Greece and DeRo had a good game. Gerba could've done the same IMO.

Loyola, it wasn't as personal a rebuttal as it sounded. Even if Friend scores it's no statement that he has no magically fit into the same system that hasn't worked for him all these years. It's just more opportunity to justify future unjustifiable call-ups.

And I'm with you on Gerba.

It seems sadly ironic that the only Canadian pro teams (and/or the players on them) might end up providing the least support of all to the MNT, all while teams like Houston and RSL quietly go on sacrificing key players at key times for their clubs. I wonder what Vancouver's position will be on Dunfield, or if Hart asked about him for this match? Anyone that prefers JBB to him (or Stalteri to Pozniak, for that matter) is clearly not following the same sport that I am.

It seems sadly ironic that the only Canadian pro teams (and/or the players on them) might end up providing the least support of all to the MNT, all while teams like Houston and RSL quietly go on sacrificing key players at key times for their clubs. I wonder what Vancouver's position will be on Dunfield, or if Hart asked about him for this match? Anyone that prefers JBB to him (or Stalteri to Pozniak, for that matter) is clearly not following the same sport that I am.

In Gerba case I'm wondering how much the decision is coming from MTL coaching staff? It seems they have not much to lose by allowing him to attend. It seems from reading St-Germain article that it's Ali decision alone.

I think Dunfield is deserving of another call, he's been good when he played against Honduras and he's been solid at the club level since coming home.

Loyola, it wasn't as personal a rebuttal as it sounded. Even if Friend scores it's no statement that he has no magically fit into the same system that hasn't worked for him all these years. It's just more opportunity to justify future unjustifiable call-ups.

And I'm with you on Gerba.

Well seeing Teibert ping ball after ball after ball into the box on Saturday, perhaps we would actually use Rob Friend to our advantage if we put a winger out there who could put in a cross.

Archived