David (Junior) Hoilett will he be with our National Team or Jamaica?

Ekchuah

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to start a new thread for this so I thought I'd throw it in here since it fits with the theme

[ATTACH=CONFIG]361[/ATTACH]

.... what is this guy thinking, this is from Jono De Guzman's FB

I don't get it.. Someone fill me in

I don't get it.. Someone fill me in

From my one year of grade 10 Spanish, it says that he's not dutch, filipino or jamaican and he isn't De Guziman (sic) but the only thing it does say is that he IS Canadian... Sorry Jono no, you are NOT.

Strange. Well hey, if there is still a chance he will play, we might as well kiss his ass. We need him!

Doubt its happening some guy commented something like play for Canada, you aren't good enough for Holland and all his friends jumped in pumping him playing for holland

Doubt its happening some guy commented something like play for Canada, you aren't good enough for Holland and all his friends jumped in pumping him playing for holland

Darn.. I can't believe Julian could not convince him otherwise. Poor work on his behalf.

The thing I can't understand, presuming Jono and Junior talk to each other, is how they can't see that if they team up in representing Canada then the CMNT takes a serious step forward towards WCQ.

The thing I can't understand, presuming Jono and Junior talk to each other, is how they can't see that if they team up in representing Canada then the CMNT takes a serious step forward towards WCQ.

Thats a good point, I wonder if the two of them have talked or talk? You'd think if they looked at one another and saw what they could do along with Atiba, Simpson, JDG, Klukowski etc. how could that not seem tempting? If we won a Gold Cup or qualified for the World Cup with them starring they'd blow up, not to mention for the country that they PRESUMABLY love and call their own

Just like the Miami Heat collusion.

I used to suspect it was a lack of pride keeping these guys from playing. I suspected they might express some of the self loathing douche baggery you see from people who were born here but openly diss Canada while claiming they're more Irish than a leprechaun or more italian than Pavarotti. I now see that's not the case with these guys at all. With this picture and some of the things Hoillett's done recently, (flag comment after the wolves game, and wearing a canada polo shirt on tv) it appears Canada really does tug at their heartstrings at least to some degree. The challenge is the clear disconnect between pride and a willingness to play for a less competitive team. It's frustrating but it's purely about our standing in the game.

With that said, what degree of winning is necessary to change their minds?

I don't want to start a new thread for this so I thought I'd throw it in here since it fits with the theme

[ATTACH=CONFIG]361[/ATTACH]

.... what is this guy thinking, this is from Jono De Guzman's FB

Can you give me a link to his FB i cannot find it, and why in the hell is his name spelt De Guziman

Well, maybe you should wait until he decides one way or another before you add him to the nasty list.

Sorry but I'm not going to get into the maybe he will, maybe he won't let's send a nice letter thing, he has made his choice so far, there is absolutely no viable reason that I can see that he shouldn't be playing tomorrow or in the Gold Cup other than he has other plans! If and this is a big IF he surprises 90% of the posters here and wears the jersey of his country, I'll be the first to say I was wrong!

I used to suspect it was a lack of pride keeping these guys from playing. I suspected they might express some of the self loathing douche baggery you see from people who were born here but openly diss Canada while claiming they're more Irish than a leprechaun or more italian than Pavarotti. I now see that's not the case with these guys at all. With this picture and some of the things Hoillett's done recently, (flag comment after the wolves game, and wearing a canada polo shirt on tv) it appears Canada really does tug at their heartstrings at least to some degree. The challenge is the clear disconnect between pride and a willingness to play for a less competitive team. It's frustrating but it's purely about our standing in the game.

Very accurate. Sad, but accurate. The tragic part (and this has been pointed out ad nauseum) is that we really would be competitive with the addition of a couple of elite players - especially ones that can add some goals to a team that already has some quality. Players like Hoilett and JDG2.

AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Guest Brethers

The thing is, these guys are at the top of their game due to ambition. As has been previously mentioned, Hoilett clearly has someone in his ear (maybe some friends or even his Dad who says he wants the best for him) saying that he is good enough to play for England. Watching various football shows it can be seen that he is rated highly, I once even stumbled across an interview with Big Sam Allardyce where he was saying that David had the potential to be a world beater. When your manager thinks this, when your friends and media are saying you could be huge, the ambition inside the professional athlete will make them wonder if they could play for the best nation they possibly can. Same thing with JDG2, he was playing for a top quality Dutch team. He is ambitious and thought he had a chance at playing in WC, and to be honest you can't hold that against them. Ambition is one of the key reasons that they are at the top, so it will always play on their decision as to who to play for.

If I was a top athlete in any given sport, I could choose from Canada, Italy and England. I have always said I would play for Canada no question, but I know that if I was elite and right at the top of the sport, I would give some thought to the others (if we look at football, Italy have won 4 WCs and England 1, as well as basically always qualifying).

Also, to be fair to Hoilett, Blackburn's relegation fight went down to the last day of the season. I imagine he probably wanted and needed to keep a clear head to help his team perform and drag themselves out of there. So he's undecided at the minute, he's 20 years old. It's not like he's 25 coming into his prime but still wants to wait maybe 3 to 4 years before comitting. He's the same age as me and this must be a massive decision, again especially as people must be saying you could play for England. Let the boy decide, and don't hate on him now. I'm sure Canadians slagging him off even though he clearly loves Canada won't help his decision

The thing is, these guys are at the top of their game due to ambition.

The thing is though that ambition can work two ways.... one would be to take advantage of playing for the best team possible and another would be making your team the best possible team it can be. The former is something that is to be expected on a professional level the latter is an approach to ambition that should always be taken on an international basis and it shocks me when it isn't. Maybe ambition when it comes to representing whichever nation you identify (or should identify) with the most is something that is sadly lacking at times.

JDG and Hoilett are the elephants in the dressing room - and I can't wait to see if the media picks up on these guys. They are stars - and they are watching their mates on the pitch. And may have to coyly answer some questions.

Can't disagree with anything that's been said. My only add-on would be to say that these guys get bigger and better contracts so long as they say they aren't flying off to play during qualifiers. So Hoilett also had every incentive re: his next contract, to be coy about his intentions. Same for JDG2. Why would Mallorca sign him with the liability of losing him to so many matches. Same for Newcastle (or wherever he moves to) I find it interesting that since he's left Holland, discussion on him has largely quieted. Partly due to success of the current squad, who have 2-3 more good years in most positions of the pitch. Hard to see the formula change before Poland 2012.

and who knows, maybe the coaches have their own incentives to tout the players above their lot, even if its not realistic. Doesn't hurt for either DeGuz or Hoilett's coaching staff to convince them AGAINST Canada, only to watch them fail in getting on England/Holland, and then ensure that they are available for club duty when required. One only needs to look at the Red Bulls...trying to pull a backhanded comment re: DeRo to see what coaches will do to keep players around. I'm very certain that whereever long terms deals are concerned, this kind of thing matters. Villa must love that Friedel eschews the yanks. Everton must hate that Howard plays ...etc. etc.

Let's be there tonight cheer loudly, and give everyone reason to jump on the wagon and WANT to play in Toronto. I hope the first playoff game doesn't dissuade too many from turning up...and I hope the lads put on a good show and turn a few heads.

Archived