David (Junior) Hoilett will he be with our National Team or Jamaica?

Ekchuah

I thought De Guzman said he gave up his Canadian citizenship to get Dutch citizenship. Even if he was born here, if he gave up his citizenship he could potentially not be eligible for Canada

I don't know his situation, but if somene no longer had Canadian citizenship it's not impossible to re-acquire considering this is his birth country.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know his situation, but if somene no longer had Canadian citizenship it's not impossible to re-acquire considering this is his birth country.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce.asp

In some situations, you might decide that you want to renounce (give up) your Canadian citizenship. For example, if you are or want to become a citizen of a country that does not allow dual citizenship, you may have to renounce your Canadian citizenship.

For a renunciation of Canadian citizenship to be recognized in Canada, you must make a formal application to renounce your citizenship.

If you renounce your Canadian citizenship, you will lose all the rights and privileges of Canadian citizenship. For example:

•You will lose the right to travel under a Canadian passport.

•You will lose the right to vote.

If you want to return to Canada as a permanent resident, you will have to go through the immigration process.

It doesn't matter if he was born here, if he gave up his citizenship he would have to go through the same process as any other immigrant. Granted I assume it would be a formality, just sign a few forms, but I certain he would actually have to move back to Canada to get his citizenship if he gave it up.

If he doesn’t have Canadian citizenship he cannot play for us even if he was born here.

EDIT:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citizenship/cit-resume-faq01.asp

Can I resume my citizenship?

Yes. If you were a Canadian citizen in the past, but gave up, or renounced, your citizenship to take the citizenship of another country, you may resume your Canadian citizenship. To do this, former Canadians must obtain permanent resident status and live in Canada for at least one year before applying for citizenship.

So if he gave up his citizenship he cannot play for Canada, end of story

So if he gave up his citizenship he cannot play for Canada, end of story

If what you have researched is correct then he would need to move back here as a permanent resident and live here for one year before applying for citizenship. So he could play for us, he'd just need to leave Spain and move back here...unless there's a loophole?

So ok, it's going to be a lot more difficult then i thought, but it's not end of story either...

This actually bodes well for getting Nsaliwa back in the fold. If his Spanish team goes down to the 3rd tier and he were to come back to Canada this summer we could have him back by summer 2012.

Hmm I don't think Marcel De Jong has Canadian citizenship nor carry a Canadian passport ... or does he?

Marcel De Jong was born here and thus able to obtain citizenship/passport simply by applying. However the disconnect between De Guzman and De Jong is, De Jong never renounced his citizenship whereas De Guzman may have from my understanding.

The Dutch generally require people who obtain their citizenship to renounce other citizenships before obtaining Dutch citizenship. De Jong being of Dutch heritage can be a dual citizen unlike De Guzman (Hirschfeld and German citizenship vs Nsaliwa and German citizenship).

Under new immigration laws passed in 2009, even if you were born in Canada, if you renounce your citizenship you cannot obtain your citizenship or passport simply by applying for it, you would have to move back to Canada for at least a year as a permanent resident and go through the immigration process.

If you need a Canadian passport to play for Canada, if De Guzman renounced his citizenship, he is ineligible for a Canadian passport until he resumes his citizenship.

If what you have researched is correct then he would need to move back here as a permanent resident and live here for one year before applying for citizenship. So he could play for us, he'd just need to leave Spain and move back here...unless there's a loophole?

So ok, it's going to be a lot more difficult then i thought, but it's not end of story either...

This actually bodes well for getting Nsaliwa back in the fold. If his Spanish team goes down to the 3rd tier and he were to come back to Canada this summer we could have him back by summer 2012.

I am under the impression you need a passport to play for a nation, getting a passport is relatively easy. If you renounce your citizenship however, it is a different story. If De Guzman ‘gave up’ his Canadian passport, (doesn’t use it) then it is as simple as filling out the paper work. If he officially renounced his Canadian citizenship he cannot resume his citizenship unless he moves back to Canada and he cannot apply for a Canadian passport until he is a citizen again.

From my understanding, if Nsaliwa came back to play in Canada he could potentially be back in the fold in one year.

All thats well and good, but hopefully if we have someone born in Canada who wants to represent our Country in sport someone could get him a passport. Obviously thats wishfull thinking, but I highly doubt its a problem in 90% of countries in the world.

All thats well and good, but hopefully if we have someone born in Canada who wants to represent our Country in sport someone could get him a passport. Obviously thats wishfull thinking, but I highly doubt its a problem in 90% of countries in the world.

Wasn't there a bobsledder who gained Canadian citizenship pretty quickly before one of the olympics? I seem to remember hearing about that. He'd represented Jamaica previously and then became a Canadian to sled for Canada. Maybe I didn't catch it correctly though...

Wasn't there a bobsledder who gained Canadian citizenship pretty quickly before one of the olympics? I seem to remember hearing about that. He'd represented Jamaica previously and then became a Canadian to sled for Canada. Maybe I didn't catch it correctly though...

I believe this is who you are talking about --> http://www.bobsleigh.ca/AthleteBio.aspx?BiosID=KCf/hPAKpJg=

Surely hart has researched whether or not he is no longer a citizen of Canada. He says he has been in contact with jdg2. If he is no longer eligible that would have become clear in the first sentence of their conversation and he would have relayed that to the media when asked about the chances of convincing him to play for Canada, which hart has not done.

Forget JDG2. BUT, we know Nsaliwa does want to represent Canada - or I believe he does. I say TFC or Impact sign him ASAP and we get him back in the fold! If JDG2 can get a passport and play, then great, let's talk about it when he says "I want to play for Canada." As for Hoilett....well, this is clearly going the way of ********** and he'll do what he can at this point to get into England I imagine. He'll have had conversations with **********, I imagine. These EPL guys do cross paths a lot...

I would really have to question what Hoilett's ambitions are for world football. The english national team isn't glamorous by any means. Think about it, just a couple of years ago they failed to qualify for the EUROs under Steve McClaren. If he wants to play in a world cup, I suppose (here's to hoping) playing for either Canada or England would be viable. If he wants to win a world cup...Well then maybe he can gain German citizenship from his time spent at St. Pauli

"Reports suggest the talented youngster is set to spurn English interest in him to play for Canada, the country of his birth."

http://www.evertonfc.com/match/report/1011/everton-v-blackburn

Here's the whole quote from the 'did you know' section:

Ontario-born winger David Wayne Junior Hoilett is able to play for Canada, England and Jamaica and is as yet to play in an international. Reports suggest the talented youngster is set to spurn English interest in him to play for Canada, the country of his birth.

Sounds like gossip/heresay to me. What "reports" are those? Is he talking about the interview with David sr. from last summer? I'll get happy when i hear it straight from the horses mouth.

Here's the whole quote from the 'did you know' section:

Ontario-born winger David Wayne Junior Hoilett is able to play for Canada, England and Jamaica and is as yet to play in an international. Reports suggest the talented youngster is set to spurn English interest in him to play for Canada, the country of his birth.

Sounds like gossip/heresay to me. What "reports" are those? Is he talking about the interview with David sr. from last summer? I'll get happy when i hear it straight from the horses mouth.

My opinion is we will know by the Gold Cup. Hoilett has established himself as a starter at Blackburn, he has run out of excuses. If David doesn't play for us at the Gold Cup I would forget him

My opinion is we will know by the Gold Cup. Hoilett has established himself as a starter at Blackburn, he has run out of excuses. If David doesn't play for us at the Gold Cup I would forget him

Why forget about him? As Craig Forresst said on Soccer central there's no need to pressure him, he's only 20 when he's ready he'll play international footy and unless thats for another country why forget about him? He doesn't have a money guarantee and if he commits to us he's going to be a key player right away, lets hope once he gets his contract sorted out he's ready to rock the maple leaf.

Why forget about him? As Craig Forresst said on Soccer central there's no need to pressure him, he's only 20 when he's ready he'll play international footy and unless thats for another country why forget about him? He doesn't have a money guarantee and if he commits to us he's going to be a key player right away, lets hope once he gets his contract sorted out he's ready to rock the maple leaf.

Well I feel his career is sorted out, he is a starter for an EPL team. His contract is good until next year, so he has that financial security to fall back on. If we had to wait for every player to have their career sorted out to the point they could retire no one would ever play for Canada.

The fact is if you delay to play for Canada 9/10 times you are waiting for another opportunity, history has shown us that. When I say 'forget him' just assume he will not play for us.

Hoilett hasn't played for anyone else either, so let's hold off on the traitor calling just yet pls. I'm willing to have my heart broken again rather than disrespect a potential future nats player, especially one so young.

He's already said he's not playing in the Gold Cup (told to Hart IIRC)

Also, the only thing that counts is WCQ. If he suits up for WCQ who cares whether he played in the GC or not. Nowadays Concacaf sides are not even bringing their best players to the GC.

Also, the only thing that counts is WCQ. If he suits up for WCQ who cares whether he played in the GC or not. Nowadays Concacaf sides are not even bringing their best players to the GC.

I believe he will play the WCQ only if Canada is in the final stage and with good chances to qualify, otherwise I don't see suiting up for us, at least not yet.

He's 20. You mean to say if at age 23....age 27 if he hasn't been capped by anyone and he was playing a high level then said "I'd like to play for Canada" we'd not take him! I doubt our depth will be that good!

So he wants to maybe play England? Obviously the pull to Jamaica isn't so great or he'd have played for them as well.

Just chill out! We've got some kids coming up through the ranks and our "A" squad is improving. We may not qualify fo WC without him, but we also might not qualify for WC with him.

I think it's a little early to forget him and call him a traitor. He's 20 and his contract runs out after next season. If I were him I would be focused on my club for at least the next calendar year so that I could secure a 3-5 year deal, that would then potentially set me up for the rest of my life if invested correctly. Once that contract is secure I'd be looking to decide on my international football. Honestly there's nothing pointing to him playing for anyone other than Canada, he was born here, he says he feels Canadian, he goes on TV wearing a Canadian flag on his shirt, his dad says he's gonna play for Canada, etc... What else do we need right now other than the obvious? He's young and I'm sure he's under alot of pressure, give him time and he'll make the right decision.

Archived