David (Junior) Hoilett will he be with our National Team or Jamaica?

Ekchuah

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lovin' that he was cut! Would he have been selected for Canada's roster? Ahead of Ricketts? My guess is yes....Ahead of Gerba? Yes there as well.....

Good point, and it highlights an issue I noticed when looking at the squad called for GC and recent call ups, not a lot of young strikers waiting in the wings, all Friend/DeRo/Gerba all pushing 30, whereas elsewhere we have good age depth across the board.

Not a problem now, but in the future...

Hoilett is about to become a new millionaire with new 40K a week signing...

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-ready-to-offer-Junior-Hoilett-new-contract-worth-40k-per-week-after-avoiding-relegation-article740189.html

So no more excuses about contracts issues and trying to cement his position. If he doesn't wear red and white by WC qualifiers later this year, f*ck em. He ain't playing for us.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-ready-to-offer-Junior-Hoilett-new-contract-worth-40k-per-week-after-avoiding-relegation-article740189.html

So no more excuses about contracts issues and trying to cement his position. If he doesn't wear red and white by WC qualifiers later this year, f*ck em. He ain't playing for us.

Why?! Theres no use in giving up on him until he's capped by someone else

Fair enough. Players come in and out of the program not just as their circumstance allows but also as their form entitles. Based on nothing else but form today's "B" squad player could be next months must-have "A" team member.

But, at some point (and not always at the players convenience) a decision is going to have to be made by The Gaffer (Hart) as to who is part of "The Program" and who isn't. These decisions aren't always made based on skill and on-field qualities. It's very much a team sport after all, chemistry and emotional commitment can not be excluded from the equation. They are a HUGE part of team building.

Don't mean to sound stern or harsh, but a some point in the very near future Junior is going to have to decide if international football is going to be part of his immediate future or not. If for club career reasons he wants to sit out WCQ at this point fine. But I think it's reasonable to expect that when Canada qualifies for Brazil we will show up for The Show with the players who brought us there.

Junior's young, there's no rush, but honestly there is no reason to delay either. So called lesser players have show commitment already. That's all I'm saying.

Because it's insulting to the players who are proud to play for Canada? Insulting to the fans?

How far do we go? How much do we beg?....for a Canadian to play for Canada?

Our players are willing to play, they are proud to. They come to friendlies and camps, they play in our regional tournament....he's got us on the back burner.

If we're knocking on the door of qualifying in 2013 and he all of sudden feels Canadian....you don't think the players will be upset if he takes a roster spot from someone who's committed from the beginning of the journey?

I hope I am wrong, but I have been saying this for a while now. This guy will not play for us and he is holding out for England.

Although I am Canadian by birth, I also have dual citizenship through my father who was born in England. As an avid follower of their national program, I find this somewhat interesting. With names like Carroll, Sturridge, Walcott, Milner, ahead of him, I would say that would delay his international career. His best choice is Canada and that is not a biased comment. In terms of chances to play and the players who would be his competition and teammates, I think he would be foolish to play for England or Jamaica.

Because it's insulting to the players who are proud to play for Canada? Insulting to the fans?

Our players are willing to play, they are proud to. They come to friendlies and camps, they play in our regional tournament....he's got us on the back burner.

If we're knocking on the door of qualifying in 2013 and he all of sudden feels Canadian....you don't think the players will be upset if he takes a roster spot from someone who's committed from the beginning of the journey?

I hope I am wrong, but I have been saying this for a while now. This guy will not play for us and he is holding out for England.

What pisses me even more is that he's leveraging his country option as a way to lift his profile and instill false hope in those candidates. We already know UK papers have been touting his talents and potential as an English International, but also even US is jumping on the bandwagon and some even selecting him as part of three FWs for the upcoming Gold Cup tournament. Have a listen at the Gold Cup podcast edition and the article.

http://totalsoccershow.com/

I know this is just a show and doesn't mean much but the fact that he has shown no commitments to the country that he was raised in and using bunch of sorry ass excuses to buy some time for England and maybe even for US, this is unacceptable and classless.

If you think you are a "Canadian" then be one. Simeon Jackson can tell you something about that.

I would much rather we lose with honour and dignity than win without.

I understand the sentiment, and to a certain extent I agree, but aside from one glorious and increasingly distant moment in the Gold Cup we have been losing with honour and dignity for a long time. Personally speaking, I am ready for a change of scenery.

I think it is reasonable to say that we wouldn't take Holliet to the WC if we qualified without him. However (and I have said this previously) I don't think it is realistic for us to give him some kind of ultimatum - "play for canada during the 2014 WCQ cycle or be forever frozen out of Canadian national team opportunities". It is not only one-sided to expect a resolution of this within our timeframe (and Hart seems to be more concilliatory than that), but I think it is also unreallistic insofar as I don't see us actually closing the door on his future participation.

It is very unfortunate, but at this point Canada simply does not have the luxury of turning our back on world class players. If Hoillet becomes one, I simply can't see us refusing him a spot 4 or 5 years down the road based on the fact that he didn't come running when we called. It is the same with JDG2 - if he ever decides to come into the fold (for whatever motive), I don't think we are in a position to refuse.

Does it suck that we are the back up plan for some of our best potential players? Absolutely. But it is a product of where we fit in the global soccer hierarchy, and we need to get some real results on the field for that perecption to change.

I think he's going to hold out until the end of the Semi-Final round of WCQ. If we make the Hex than I expect to see him on board. If we fall short of the Hex (again) then... probably England where he'll get called up to play against the likes of Luxembourg (so they can cap him).

The question is... does he want to represent a country or play in the World Cup?

It's clear he loves Canada, but does he love the World Cup more?... still waiting on that answer. Both options have risk.

1) Canada is not of the quality required to qualify, but can he elevate us enough to qualify?

2) England has so much depth he may not have enough quality to be part of that World Cup squad. Can he continue to develop his game to crack that squad?

I am not 100% certain about this - say we make the hex and can add a player who is a difference maker. There is a chance most of the team will want that.

I understand the sentiment, and to a certain extent I agree, but aside from one glorious and increasingly distant moment in the Gold Cup we have been losing with honour and dignity for a long time. Personally speaking, I am ready for a change of scenery.

I think it is reasonable to say that we wouldn't take Holliet to the WC if we qualified without him. However (and I have said this previously) I don't think it is realistic for us to give him some kind of ultimatum - "play for canada during the 2014 WCQ cycle or be forever frozen out of Canadian national team opportunities". It is not only one-sided to expect a resolution of this within our timeframe (and Hart seems to be more concilliatory than that), but I think it is also unreallistic insofar as I don't see us actually closing the door on his future participation.

It is very unfortunate, but at this point Canada simply does not have the luxury of turning our back on world class players. If Hoillet becomes one, I simply can't see us refusing him a spot 4 or 5 years down the road based on the fact that he didn't come running when we called. It is the same with JDG2 - if he ever decides to come into the fold (for whatever motive), I don't think we are in a position to refuse.

Does it suck that we are the back up plan for some of our best potential players? Absolutely. But it is a product of where we fit in the global soccer hierarchy, and we need to get some real results on the field for that perecption to change.

Man, that is a bang-on assessment. We are so quick to believe the worst (b/c we've been burned before). While I would love for Junior to play for us, we need to take a deep breath and avoid the negative drivel until his actions warrant it. Junior only became an established first-teamer this season under Allardyce's successor - Kean.

That said, he's established himself now. The longer he puts off his decision, the more suspicious we all become. Passing up WCQs seem to be a pretty clear indication of intent...so we'll see if that happens.

If Junior played for Les Rouges it would be HUGE. He would be our best player and the face of our national team for years to come. I think his participation would benefit him and the team. His skillset would add a new a dimension to our set-up (as he's done for Rovers). As somebody on here mentioned before, Junior could be "the man" on the Canadian soccer scene for the entirety of his career and beyond. That may not sound like much of a "carrot" at this point in time, but this sport is on the rise in Canada and a career as a pundit would be a given...and boy, I will need a break from listening to Craig Forest within the next 15 years.

A career as a pundit is not much of a carrot, but million dollar endorsement deals might be.

You are right, and I hope the CSA/corporate sponsors are not waiting for Hoilett to decide before covering this angle. People who wax nostalgic about what H********* could've meant to the profile our nats and the sport in this country should see this as a second chance at having a premier league star as the leading the line for our country. He could be THE player for us.

*And, yes, I do think he'll be a star; maybe not for Rovers, but I believe this lad will make it to the very top, just like the H-word did.

Yeah, there has hopefully been an invite from Hart to watch from some sort of comfy boxseats where he can be attended too.

Screw him, if he's not interested in representing his country, I don't want him around!

Archived