David (Junior) Hoilett will he be with our National Team or Jamaica?

Ekchuah

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly, I haven't seen anything yet in our play at the GC that would convince a top level player with options to choose Canada. I know, I know - patriotism should drive their choice. But I was hoping that at this point in the tourney we would have demonstrated that we are at least headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, it appears to be same-old same-old, and I doubt either Hoilett or JDG2 are chomping at the bit to sign up. Maybe we can turn a corner tonight against Panama...

I guess we didn't turn a corner against Panama....

The real irony is that based on our Gold Cup play, a creative attacking mid and a clinical striker are exactly what our team needs.

This is true. I like Borjan a lot, but I'm pretty sure that his decision to give up on Serbia and play for Canada was partly based on the fact that Canada was weak in goal and he could be a big part of things instead of scratching the fringes in Serbia. I would like it if Hoilett would use the same rationale, but I think he is still hoping England calls.

Jason

He may not be an out and out goal scorer but he can set the tempo of the match and that is something we are lacking. Especially vs Panama we had very little to none of any creativity. He would add a little spice to the attack.

Having Hoilett would obviously be a huge boost, but I don't think he's the answer. He's not an out an out goalscorer, which is what we need more than anything right now.

I was gonna say we need playmakers but considering Jackson in the first ten minutes yesterday and JDG's chance (which he shoots high, when you have a 19yr old in net with chicken legs) I tend to agree Sam

He may not be an out and out goal scorer but he can set the tempo of the match and that is something we are lacking. Especially vs Panama we had very little to none of any creativity. He would add a little spice to the attack.

Hoilett in the end is just a higher quality version of Jackson, doesn't offer much different than Simeon. I dunno if the 2 would actually work well as a tandem

If Hoilett decides to spurn Canada for another country, after the way we played at this tournament, i'd really have a hard time blaming him.

I would certainly not have a hard time blaming him. The only country he was born and raised in is Canada. He'd still be a traitor like the rest. Case closed. Next?

If Hoilett decides to spurn Canada for another country, after the way we played at this tournament, i'd really have a hard time blaming him.

Was he born in Canada? Was he aggressively approached to play? F him if he doesn't come.

It is constantly said that competition can cause a player to play above and beyond what was expected. Worst case is that he drives Jacko to a higher level or worst case we now have an option on the bench. Either way it is not going to hurt us.

Hoilett in the end is just a higher quality version of Jackson, doesn't offer much different than Simeon. I dunno if the 2 would actually work well as a tandem

Completely disagree. Hoilett is a true winger and Sims is an out and out striker. Two different players. Would work beautifully as a tandem especially both of them thrives on speed and diagonal runs. I can only dream...

FU*k... still feeling sick to my stomach.

• 2 weeks later...
Hoillett spoke to Jeff Blair on the radio this morning. Gave the same cryptic non-comment as usual but did say he attended a Canada match this summer (I'm guessing Ecuador) "to support the team".

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20110629_105206_7276

Encrypt: " Yeah right, I'm here to support me mates, but I really waiting for the English callup ..."

I hope I'm wrong, but we really have move on IMHO.

Completely disagree. Hoilett is a true winger and Sims is an out and out striker. Two different players. Would work beautifully as a tandem especially both of them thrives on speed and diagonal runs. I can only dream...

FU*k... still feeling sick to my stomach.

I wouldn't classify Hoilett as a "traditional winger", which I think of as a wide midfielder w/ pace to get up and down the wing and the ability to swing in accurate crosses. Crossing the ball is definitely not Junior's strong suit, but he has been steadily improving at it. His greatest attributes are his speed and his excellent close control; those strengths make him valuable on the wing, but he can also play accross the mid and as a supporting attacker.

Junior was not happy with his role at Rovers when he started breaking into the side under Allardyce. Big Sam used him as a winger of the sub's bench - and Junior did not exactly flourish in his first season in the Prem. Allardyce's tactics are notoriously rudimentary and unflexible. - and Junior supposedly disliked the role he was asked to play - which was more of a "traditional winger" role than what he's been playing under our new manager, Steve Kean.

SK's made Junior a fixture in the starting lineup and made him the focal point of our attack. He still regularly takes up a wide position, usually on the right, but he has been given a lot of freedom to drift all over the place - as you can see from the position he's been in when he's scored for Rovers.

And as far as his lack of commitment to Les Rouges: I'm trying not to go negative on the guy for not joining our Nats yet, in the faint hope that he joins us for the second round of WCQ (at the same time, I'm not holding my breath). If he held out for England, I would be pissed, but not surprised.

His Father has been a tough for Rovers to deal with during all of his contract negotations and seems to exert a lot of influence over the careers of his sons. There is a case to be made that most modern footballers are "mercenaries" who do little to repay the faith/investment of the clubs that foster their development. In the same way, I'm not sure that sentiment, in the form of national loyalty, will dictate which national team he chooses to play for (as crazy as that sounds/is).

It is SO annoying to think that the likes of Junior and JDG2 could support our nats without doing the obvious - suiting up for them.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/07/28/sp-stephen-hart.html

Hart plans to assemble a team that is an equal mix of players from Major League Soccer and clubs based in Europe.

One player he won't be calling on in September is David (Junior) Hoilett.

The 21-year-old native of Brampton, Ont., is an emerging Canadian talent who scored five goals in 24 games for Blackburn Rovers in the English Premiership. Hoilett is eligible to play for Canada, Jamaica and England, but hasn't declared who he plans to represent in international competition.

"There's nothing new to report. He's waiting until he signs a big deal before he commits. Until he gets a new contract, I don't think he will make a decision about who he will play for," Hart stated.

Just figured I'd point this out before people start asking if he'll be involved this fall.

Archived