Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MLS Senior roster - 20 spots

DEV roster - 10 spots

-------------------------------------

PDL - 0 spots (no contract with club, discovery claim needed to sign unless was part of academy - non-HG players do not belong to club and cannot play in MLS)

Residency - 0 spots (amateur contracts, club can sign as homegrown player - players cannot play in MLS)

For the Whitecaps however, the PDL and residency are one and the same.

For the Whitecaps however, the PDL and residency are one and the same.

Weren't you guys fielding a bunch of guys in their early 20's to supplement the youth players? Anyways i'm sure you're going to notice some changes regardless, instead of a U19 Residency you're going to be fielding a U18 and U16 squad for the Academy (unless MLS gives you leeway since you're new). And you're only allowed 3 out of territory players (outside of Western Canada) etc.

^ I went to most of the Whitecaps home PDL games last year and there was never a player over the age of 20 on the pitch. The entire roster was comprised of players from the residency program and inbetweeners (like Doudou Toure and Alex Semenets). In the past, the Whitecaps occasionally used the PDL games to get some first team players minutes when coming back from injury, but I can't recall this happening in 2010.

^ I went to most of the Whitecaps home PDL games last year and there was never a player over the age of 20 on the pitch. The entire roster was comprised of players from the residency program and inbetweeners (like Doudou Toure and Alex Semenets). In the past, the Whitecaps occasionally used the PDL games to get some first team players minutes when coming back from injury, but I can't recall this happening in 2010.
...and the Caps won't budge on this. We will have 50-60 players under contract. The only question is how do those tweeners fit in. The homegrown rule has a clause in it specifically for Arnoux as by rule they could keep him on the roster for a year then make him homegrown (the rule the league added specifically rules out Arnoux, however, there are 30 other players currently signed to developmental contracts - not the DEV roster - who will eventually be "homegrown" players. These players do not have MLS contracts. What is being misunderstood here is the Caps have a PDL team with players- unless the are in NCAA- under contract. Im starting to think there is no rule in place and we won't know until a PDL player gets "called up" in the middle of the season. The Cap's schedule this year will include reserve games, PDL games, WUSL games and MLS games a true FC. I'm sure there will be lots of learning in the coming months.

^Yes, at the moment Vancouver is a unique animal in MLS, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Yes indeed. I checked on the Chicago Fire as they are the only other MLS team with a PDL team and they have 4 players under contract, who I can only assume are on MLS deals and the rest are all free players. So, this is the BIG difference. The Caps already have more than 45 players under contract. It will be interesting indeed!!

^I never said MLS contracts. But the reality is they have high quality players such as Gage, REB, Arnoux, Tiebert, Semenets, et al under contract. Those are not MLS contracts but those players are bound to the Caps - I chose those players because most likely none of them will be on the MLS roster, therefore clearly the Caps will have more than 30 contracts - this is something the MLS will have to address because the Caps aren't budging. It's a great situation to be in and I am sure it will end up being the future of the league. I could eventually see the draft being abolished and a much more European club system. Though with the big money NCAA involved I am sure there will be some fighting.

Meh. He played almost exclusively in the second tier in 2010 and hasn't played since May, so I would prefer to call him SPL-experienced, in the way that Jim Brennan was EPL-experienced but hardly an "EPL defender".

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd

The upside is that he is only 23 and, with the family connection to the city and to the club, he may feel some affinity that could speed his adjustment should he sign. Or Caps could have just kept a Bellisomo.

Meh. He played almost exclusively in the second tier in 2010 and hasn't played since May, so I would prefer to call him SPL-experienced, in the way that Jim Brennan was EPL-experienced but hardly an "EPL defender".

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd

The upside is that he is only 23 and, with the family connection to the city and to the club, he may feel some affinity that could speed his adjustment should he sign. Or Caps could have just kept a Bellisomo.

Yeah, keeping Luca would of made the same amount of sense.

Well done Carl Valentine for explaining it so clearly.

Ditto

and anyone know if going down to Empire during training will yield any positive results of getting to see some of the new faces on the pitch?

Love to see what some of these hopefuls bring over the 3 days, I know most the efforts will be when they go out on the road, but still would be nice to see the collection of Whitecaps together on the start of a wonderful campaign towards the inaugural season.

30 spots on the MLS squad, 14 names already penned in, 19 players battling for 15 spots, possibly up to 3 less if DP's are brought in. Could be interesting, especially since all 10 International spots are still open 2 brought in by trade (lasting only this season).\

One thing is for sure there is still decisions upon decisions left for Whitecap fans to twiddle the thumbs about waiting for them to trickle down the grapevine.

TFC release another piece of the roster puzzle (re: reserve teams).

According to Neely, TFC fans can expect the Reds to take full advantage of the MLS rule that will allow up to three academy players to take part in each reserve game.

Ethan Gage is not on the Whitecaps training camp roster. He was invited to camp but chose to pursue other options. He is currently in England on trial at Reading and it sounds like he has been offered a deal to stay there until the end of the season. Whitecaps say that he is welcome back if things do not work out in England.

Edwini-Bonsu has been demoted from the first-team to the residency squad and will not be participating in training camp either. Do not expect him to be part of the 30.

Archived