Honduras Pre-Match & In-Match Thread [R]

CanadasBest

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how the Rob Friend "haters" can fail to acknowledge his impact in this one. He may have handballed on Simpson's goal, but the foul on him was even more clear cut and should have been a penalty. And the central defender simply couldn't handle him on the play leading to the corner, and both men ended up on the pitch (could have been another penalty) leading to all kinds of space for Simpson.

A few quick first half grades for back to school:

Simpson - A: Has balls to run at guys and attack with speed. Not common for Canada.

Friend - B: Didn't half the best strike at goal (to be fair he had almost no space to get off that shot) but was vital in both goals (see above)

Stalteri as left back - D: I'm with everyone else in congratulating him on the caps record, and definitely still has something to offer on the right, but is he really the best option we have there for this match? He gets turned so easily.

Gerry + Craig: D-. Equalize? Plus I'd never heard a bigger English-speaking Honduras fan than Craig for the first 35 minutes. He was buying all the HON dives, and not calling anyone on it. Give me Jason or give me death.

What a difference this game is, compared to the Peru game..don't know if Hart re-adjusted his line-up and tactics, but I see more aggresiveness from Canada compared to the Peru game. On another note, Peru is leading Jamaica 1 - 0 early in the 1st half :P....If they beat Jamaica, than Canada shouldn't feel as bad, as the last place in CONMEBOL WCQ for 2010 was misleading, as Peru were already eliminated by the 12th game, and more or less, just played 2nd rate players to finish off the campaign. Nice to finally see Canada score more than one goal.

The first half was ok. I don't think it was any better than our first half against Peru, but we got some goals so that's positive. Great buildup and tenacity on the first goal and Mckenna just carried that guy across the box before burying that header. Great corner from Will Johnson if our balls into the box off set pieces can rise in quality we have the size to score goals. This is something we need to improve. I thought the last 20 minutes was much better than the first 20, I think we are lucky to be up but we were about even this half. Too much standing around and a lot of tentative play early but again starting with the goal they moved the ball much better and mixed in those long balls which we were able to create something off of. I don't want to be too positive because it's not like we dominated but it's nice to produce some goals for a change.

Archived