Honduras Pre-Match & In-Match Thread [R]

CanadasBest

We're playing a Honduras C/U25 team, we should go balls out with a Holger-style 3-5-2:

------------------Lars-----------------

----Stalteri----McKenna----Straith-----

-----------Jakovic---Bernier------------

Peters----------Hutch---------Simpson

---------Jackson-------Friend-----------

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're playing a Honduras C/U25 team, we should go balls out with a Holger-style 3-5-2:

------------------Lars-----------------

----Stalteri----McKenna----Straith-----

-----------Jakovic---Bernier------------

Peters----------Hutch---------Simpson

---------Jackson-------Friend-----------

Don't say that...if we lose again...Peru wasn't their strongest line up either.

Sometimes LOYOLA I think you should be manager of the CMNT team. I really hope they both pull this one thru. These are very important decsions and messages with deep meanings, and both must win to be avoided, otherwise a huge can of worms of many will not be not happy and a cancer of critizism opens .

I am very very surprised of the past few days (of movements) 3 players that went to TFC for their match and forcing the MNT to do so and emergency call ups. This is not in good taste, if I were a player on the team. Its not the message I would want to hear, and players outside looking in, and their clubs they are coming from being loaned out. These are serious movements and extremly out of the ordinary for any MNT, that could open a door of grave results publically and to the sport in its self in CANADA, regardless of the result and being widely critized and less severe a win for both. Wow even if someone gets injured in the honduras game etc etc..I think they should recall these players immediatly and complete their task.

If I was an odds maker at this moment a loss for both teams is more likely gone up just because of movement of players.

But this thinking is Canadian first then selfish last, but also of the public views as I attended many events this weekend and I must say the majority expressed the same thoughts. I want to share them with you and hopefully does not take place I really hope.

The only problem is that LOYOLA's profile picture resambles Dale Mitchell too much,which would be a step backwards for the program.

With so much scoreless soccer we've recently produced, definitely time to try something else than the 4-5-1.

Hallelujah!

Was just checking out Bet365, they must have no idea who's playing for the teams or they really think we're **** cuz they have us listed as the UNDERDOGS!

Canada 2.80

Draw 3.25

Honduras 2.50

For those not so optimistic Canada still pays 1.90 on Draw No Bet (if it's a draw you don't lose your money).

MONTREAL -- The injury suffered by defender Marcel De Jong in Canada's loss to Peru in a friendly match is not as serious as was feared.

De Jong suffered a displaced collarbone that was put back in place by doctors after the match, said coach Stephen Hart. He left Canada's 2-0 loss to Peru on Saturday with what was suspected to be a fracture in the shoulder.

He returned to German club FC Augsburg and will not play for Canada against Honduras on Tuesday night at Saputo Stadium.

"The collarbone popped out," said Hart. "Nothing's broken. It's back in and he's OK. He'll need a couple of weeks, but we contacted their medical staff and we sent him back."

Without De Jong at left fullback, Hart will need to shuffle his back line against Honduras but has yet to decide on his starting lineup.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/09/06/dejong_injury/ (strange pic of Marcel)

I think dressing Tam Nsaliwa up as Marcel de Jong is a great way to get Tam back into our lineup.

Woah! I honestly had completely forgot about Nsaliwa haven't heard his name in about a year... I assume his international career is done now.

^ IIRC, Nsaliwa is free to play for us in friendlies, although that doesn't affect the stalemate status of his situation. He would still contribute a lot for Canada I would imagine.

In other news: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=capress-soc_honduras_canada-4426787

"Hart is leaning toward moving Dejan Jakovic of DC United into the central defense and pushing impressive youngster Adam Straith of the German club Energie Cottbus to the left side."

"Everyone who played Saturday has a point to prove now because we can't lose two games at home," midfielder Iain Hume of the English club Barnsley said after training on Monday. "It's one of them things — we really need to make playing in Canada enjoyable to the fans as well as us, so we're going to have to prove that every game you play here is going to be tough."

If we lose tomorrow, i'm going to fly out to Ottawa and drop a burning, brown paper bag of my own **** on the steps of the CSA.

It is suppose to be a weakened Honduras,with few players that played at the WC in South Africa,so a win is a must,with respect of the game being "at home"...etc.Funny about dropping the stuff to Ottawa...You should fly to Edmonton and drop it on Mike Traficante's door steps...

The problem why we are going in circles is the old Board that is still "in charge"...

I just finished watching the last 30 minutes of Jamaica beating Costa Rica 1-0 at home, Ryan Johnson scored the winner. Jamaica is now 14 wins and 3 draws in their last 17 matches at home. Who cares about Peru, when we start beating the Honduras, Jamaica, Panama, Guatemala, El Salvadors then I will feel a lot better about our chances for 2014. Starts on Tuesday.

Who cares about Peru? Peru (Argentina and Venezuela) are all way better than all of those countries you've just listed in my opinion. Playing South American teams is the way to go. The only way to improve yourself is by playing better teams. How many times have we played Jamaica in the last 2 years, I believe its 3 or more.

Who cares about Peru? Peru (Argentina and Venezuela) are all way better than all of those countries you've just listed in my opinion. Playing South American teams is the way to go. The only way to improve yourself is by playing better teams. How many times have we played Jamaica in the last 2 years, I believe its 3 or more.

I think you misintrepreted my post. My point is not that Peru is a worthless football country that we should disregard. My point is we should not push the panic button over losing to Peru, because they are a good team, and it's true are likely better than all those teams I listed. But until we learn to beat those teams at home, we will never qualify, or even be close. That's why I put much more emphasis on today's game.

I'm sure Lima is beautiful this time of year though.

I say we leave Friend on the bench, use Jackson and someone else up front. I don't think Friend should be in the future cards fort WCQ. How many goals does he have with us, 2. How many games, this I am not sure of but it has to be around a dozen.

Unfortunately, if you use this logic there would be no one to play the striker position for Canada. The strike rates for guys like Hume, Jackson, and Occean are as bad or worse. The problem isn't that Friend isn't scoring, it's that Canada isn't scoring. It surely has more to do with tactics and coaching than Friend's inadequacies, because going on club performances, which represent the bulk of any player's resume, Friend is the best we have. The only attacking players to score consistently for Canada are, in order, Gerba, De Ro and Radzinski.

Hum problem is that without the three TFC players, our squad is also weakened...

One would think so, but in that 1st half against Peru, most of the time the midfield lost possession it was because of missed connections between De Guzman and De Rosario. It's also instructive to bring up the last time Canada played well against a good team, the 2-2 draw against Mexico in 2008. Neither Julian nor Dwayne played in that match. Kevin did. I'm starting to lose patience with Hart, but I'm hopeful that he can make it work tonight without those two.

Unfortunately, if you use this logic there would be no one to play the striker position for Canada. The strike rates for guys like Hume, Jackson, and Occean are as bad or worse. The problem isn't that Friend isn't scoring, it's that Canada isn't scoring. It surely has more to do with tactics and coaching than Friend's inadequacies, because going on club performances, which represent the bulk of any player's resume, Friend is the best we have. The only attacking players to score consistently for Canada are, in order, Gerba, De Ro and Radzinski.

I suspect Gerba was inquired about but the Impact wouldn't release him.. that is my hunch... if they never inquired about him that's just sad. He may be inconsistent but his numbers have been almost exactly the same everywhere he's played. High strike rate. Plus, the thing with a hot'n'cold player is nab him when he's hot. Moot point now, but yes I agree that while Jackson clearly is building a scoring reputation at club level, the 3 best Canadian strikers are not in the game tonight.

I for one hope Friend plays again tomorrow. Like some have said, it is not that Rob Friend isn't scoring for Canada now, it's that no one is. We aren't creating good clear-cut chances to score. It is not like Friend wiffed on a bunch of top quality chances. I actually think he played well against Peru.

Archived