Honduras Pre-Match & In-Match Thread [R]

CanadasBest

I for one hope Friend plays again tomorrow. Like some have said, it is not that Rob Friend isn't scoring for Canada now, it's that no one is. We aren't creating good clear-cut chances to score. It is not like Friend wiffed on a bunch of top quality chances. I actually think he played well against Peru.

I don't want you to miss the game. A quick reminder: The game IS TONIGHT :)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I for one hope Friend plays again tomorrow. Like some have said, it is not that Rob Friend isn't scoring for Canada now, it's that no one is. We aren't creating good clear-cut chances to score. It is not like Friend wiffed on a bunch of top quality chances. I actually think he played well against Peru.

I agree, he held up the ball well on a few occasions looking to connect with oncoming midfielders who then got dispossessed. Friend was subbed off when he looked to be getting more involved.

I agree, he held up the ball well on a few occasions looking to connect with oncoming midfielders who then got dispossessed. Friend was subbed off when he looked to be getting more involved.

Obviously I have a lot more fondness for Rob Friend than most on this board, you dont' lead a Bundesliga 1 or 2 team in scoring without earning my respect.

I watched the full game on Saturday and I did not see any giveaways from Friend in the first half. He only got a few balls into him and a very good defensive play on one of them prevented a scoring opportunity. It all comes down to service. If a goalkeeper doesn't get a shot all f*ing game, do you describe him as a poor shotstopper?

Apparently Hart said directly to him : "You are not fit enough"

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/soccer/2010/09/06/un-nouvel-elan-pour-le-canada/

That is incorrect. He told him that he had his place in the team but he had not played for a long time and he needed players who were in form. He also said he was confident that Gerba would return to the team. This conversation appears to have taken place before the original callups and at that time would have been accurate even though that has changed in a short time.

Man I thought you understood French better than I do! :)

How does this not mean "you are not fit enough"? :D

Being fit contributes to being in form but they are still two separate things especially with Ali. We have seen Ali score regularly while playing but still not being fit. At the moment he is both in form and fit but at the time of Hart's comments he was probably neither. Mostly I had a problem with how negative you made Hart's quote sound when really it is quite diplomatic and accurate at the time he said it.

Being fit contributes to being in form but they are still two separate things especially with Ali. We have seen Ali score regularly while playing but still not being fit. At the moment he is both in form and fit but at the time of Hart's comments he was probably neither. Mostly I had a problem with how negative you made Hart's quote sound when really it is quite diplomatic and accurate at the time he said it.

Haha, alright alright. I am still a bit bitter that he has not been called up, even if it was to stay on the bench.

Good luck tonight. I have a lot of respect for the MTL supporters. Hopefully you guys will match the intensity brought during the Voyageurs cup. The display between the two sides was a milestone in Canadian support I believe. I would love it if one day we could bring that atmopshere to a game together. Surely, we can set aside club differences. I know it pisses you guys off about TFC jerseys and shirts, but many who do that do not understand. I actually do not have a problem with the Impact gear at games to be honest as I know many wear TFC stuff. But I may be in a minority. I dont know.

Side note, is there an online stream for this game being set up?

I know it pisses you guys off about TFC jerseys and shirts, but many who do that do not understand. I actually do not have a problem with the Impact gear at games to be honest as I know many wear TFC stuff. But I may be in a minority. I dont know.

In this regards, there are many in the same boat. When it comes to thinking about our national team, I turn off the TFC mentality and welcome all Canadian supporters to the stadium. However if you are a long standing national team supporter, you must realize that many people are offended by this and you should make an effort to keep club gear at home. In the stands last Saturday, many people experienced their first live national team game and wore the red and white of whatever they had to support our boys. We are still infants in national team support and we have a long way to go. That said, thanks for the comments

The other thread got locked so i'll post this as an update to my other betting related post:

Cripes, the odds are getting even more slanted against us. The bet to make is "Draw No Bet" it pays 2.10 for Canada, so even if it's a draw you get your money back. Or, Canada +0.5 @1.65 in the Asian Handicap, that way if it's a draw you still win. Get your bets in boys, this is as good as it's going to get.

This is essentially a Honduras "B/C" team with only 2 WC starters (GK Valladeres and CB Figueroa) and 5 second stringers (GK Canales, RB Mendoza, DF Johnny Palacios, RM Garcia and LM Espinoza). These guys drew El Salvador 2-2 in Los Angeles on Saturday night (did they travel on Sunday?).

Probably see from them:

----------------Valladeres--------------

Mendoza--Figueroa---Palacios---Norales

-----------------Claros-------------------

Garcia---------------------------Espinoza

---------------M. Martinez----------------

---------Rojas-----------C. Martinez------

The other thread got locked so i'll post this as an update to my other betting related post:

Cripes, the odds are getting even more slanted against us. The bet to make is "Draw No Bet" it pays 2.10 for Canada, so even if it's a draw you get your money back. Or, Canada +0.5 @1.65 in the Asian Handicap, that way if it's a draw you still win. Get your bets in boys, this is as good as it's going to get.

This is essentially a Honduras "B/C" team with only 2 WC starters (GK Valladeres and CB Figueroa) and 5 second stringers (GK Canales, RB Mendoza, DF Johnny Palacios, RM Garcia and LM Espinoza). These guys drew El Salvador 2-2 in Los Angeles on Saturday night (did they travel on Sunday?).

Probably see from them:

----------------Valladeres--------------

Mendoza--Figueroa---Palacios---Norales

-----------------Claros-------------------

Garcia---------------------------Espinoza

---------------M. Martinez----------------

---------Rojas-----------C. Martinez------

Maybe the oddsmakers knew it was a very weakened Honduran side but expected most of the action to come against Canada regardless. Reminds me of the 2007 gold cup when Trinidad were massive favourites over El Salvador even though Trinidad's pros were all on strike over world cup bonuses.

Wish I was there.... damn

Me too,

Oh well I'll just have to settle for another dodgy Spanish internet feed.

On the plus side my spanish is coming along nicly, golpearemos el asno de Honduras con el pie esta noche

and my favourite GOAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived