The New Mother Of All Canadians Abroad

jpg75

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Ricketts has found a spot at Dynamo Dresden:

https://twitter.com/nurmaltesten81/status/222624443468480512/photo/1/large

Cool now when he joins CMT, people can no longer say "I can't believe we have a romania div 2 guy on Team Canada." 2 Bundesliga does SOUND better, but in this case, really he's the exact same player.

Not like Occean who I think has improved big time in the last 2 years on his way to top flight.

I think now this will allow us to get a better representation of Ricketts as a player. Hes shown flashes, and playing in the B2 we should have a high enough level to be able to compare him to other players in the program, the bigger sample size at a higher level will be good for evaluation but also I think he will continue to grow as a player and hopefully in 2 years or so he'll be a beast.

It is still not official but looking good for Ricketts. The following article states that the Dynamo wants Ricketts and they have agreed to terms with him but there are still some things to clear up. That is probably the fact that he still has a contract with Timosoara which he will probably have to get UEFA to annul.

http://www.mdr.de/sport/fussball_bl/dynamo-neuverpflichtung100.html

Looks like Ledgerwood has signed with Hammarby (Div 2 Sweden). Sorry about the Google translate:

Hammarby Football announced today that it has signed a 18-month contract with 27-year-old Canadian player Nikolas Ledgerwood.

Nik is a midfielder and his most recent game in the German club. To describe Hammarby football his merits:

"Ledgerwood has 18 caps for Canada in the merit list. The last five, he played this year, including two World Cup qualifiers in June.

Adolescence he spent in the Canadian Calgary Storm, and an 18 year old went Ledgerwood to 1860 Munich, where there was a total of six seasons before he went to FSV Frankfurt. The last two years he has played in SV Wehen in the German third league. "

In 1860 Munich was his teammate with Gregg Berhalter, our coach, so I guess Gregg knows what he got. Gregg describes him like this on hammarbyfotboll.se:

- Nik is a very versatile midfielder who can play center and on both edges, and he can also play wing. He's squad and has played for many years in Germany. With his routine, his energy and work capacity, he will be valuable for the team

Nik connect to the squad today, but is available for play in the Premier League after the transfer window opened August 1. Before that, I hope we get to see him in the game in the U21 series. Nik is of course welcome to Hammarby, but I am a little skeptical that there is a midfielder who enlisted. We are many who believe that the need is greatest on the offensive side. I hope and believe that one need not exclude the other.

Unfortunately, I now no available pictures of Nik but promise to try to obtain it as soon as possible!

Looks like Ledgerwood has signed with Hammarby (Div 2 Sweden). Sorry about the Google translate:

Hammarby Football announced today that it has signed a 18-month contract with 27-year-old Canadian player Nikolas Ledgerwood.

Nik is a midfielder and his most recent game in the German club. To describe Hammarby football his merits:

"Ledgerwood has 18 caps for Canada in the merit list. The last five, he played this year, including two World Cup qualifiers in June.

Adolescence he spent in the Canadian Calgary Storm, and an 18 year old went Ledgerwood to 1860 Munich, where there was a total of six seasons before he went to FSV Frankfurt. The last two years he has played in SV Wehen in the German third league. "

In 1860 Munich was his teammate with Gregg Berhalter, our coach, so I guess Gregg knows what he got. Gregg describes him like this on hammarbyfotboll.se:

- Nik is a very versatile midfielder who can play center and on both edges, and he can also play wing. He's squad and has played for many years in Germany. With his routine, his energy and work capacity, he will be valuable for the team

Nik connect to the squad today, but is available for play in the Premier League after the transfer window opened August 1. Before that, I hope we get to see him in the game in the U21 series. Nik is of course welcome to Hammarby, but I am a little skeptical that there is a midfielder who enlisted. We are many who believe that the need is greatest on the offensive side. I hope and believe that one need not exclude the other.

Unfortunately, I now no available pictures of Nik but promise to try to obtain it as soon as possible!

Well, that's a terrible level, but it gives us an idea of what the rest of the footballing world apparently thinks of him.

Well, that's a terrible level, but it gives us an idea of what the rest of the footballing world apparently thinks of him.

I'm a bit surprised. I spoke to him briefly in Cuba about a move. He was looking for a higher level in Germany, or preferably an English club (although he thought there might be some paperwork problems on this). Hammarby have had some prestige in the last 10 years, and his relationship with the manager must have made the move easier.

I'm a bit surprised. I spoke to him briefly in Cuba about a move. He was looking for a higher level in Germany, or preferably an English club (although he thought there might be some paperwork problems on this). Hammarby have had some prestige in the last 10 years, and his relationship with the manager must have made the move easier.

Clicking a few links took me to seeing that AEG is a 49% owner of Hammarby - which I guess explains how Berhalter ended up there. Yeah - trying to connect the dots given where Ledgerwood sees himself and ending up in the second division, but maybe they have real aspirations to get promoted. Currently they are fifth and a ways out of that last promotion spot.

I see that Rob Friend is still with Eintracht Frankfurt. He came on as 71' sub in their latest pre-season game. Transfermarkt.de states that he has a contract with Frankfurt through 2013/14. So, he's no longer on loan from Hertha BSC.

I see that Rob Friend is still with Eintracht Frankfurt. He came on as 71' sub in their latest pre-season game. Transfermarkt.de states that he has a contract with Frankfurt through 2013/14. So, he's no longer on loan from Hertha BSC.

Romour here says that clubs in Japan are interested in him but that he is really hoping to stay in Frankfurt:

http://www.fnp.de/fnp/sport/special-eintracht/die-geruechtekueche-brodelt_rmn01.c.9979824.de_2.html

Another article said that the manager is optimistic they can "find a solution."

Sucks to imagine one Canadian potentially keeping another Canadian out of first team football at the same club (like JDG and Dunfield) given we have so few high performance pros.

Romour here says that clubs in Japan are interested in him but that he is really hoping to stay in Frankfurt:

http://www.fnp.de/fnp/sport/special-eintracht/die-geruechtekueche-brodelt_rmn01.c.9979824.de_2.html

Sucks to imagine one Canadian potentially keeping another Canadian out of first team football at the same club (like JDG and Dunfield) given we have so few high performance pros.

Well, Friend didn't have much playing time last season anyways, so if it wasn't OO who keep Rob out of the lineup it would probably someone else.

There has been some confusion as to whether Friend was loaned or transfered to Frankfurt but obviously it was a transfer or else Frankfurt would just send him back to Berlin. The current situation is there are definitely clubs interested in him such as Paderborn but they are unwilling to pay his fairly high salary for the 2 years left on his contract. FC Lucerne was interested in him but only on loan which did not interest Frankfurt. Friend is unwilling to take a pay cut which is his right and Frankfurt seems unwilling to swallow part of his salary to transfer him to a team like Paderborn or loan him to Lucerne. So Frankfurt is trying to find teams that are willing to take over his full contract and that has led them to Japan. However, Friend does not really want to move his family with a wife and two children to Asia and it is probably not a good move for him career wise either so he will likely not agree to such a transfer. So unless Frankfurt is willing to eat some of his salary to transfer/loan him it appears Friend would prefer to fight for a spot in Frankfurt and continue to receive what is contractually due to him. Sounds a bit like an Ali Gerba situation though Friend is at least still in the team and is apparently doing decently at training camp so he has some chance of playing. Also at the moment Frankfurt only has 3 strikers on the books including Occean although they must have other signings planned.

I don't feel any sympathy for Frankfurt in this because they basically did not give him a chance to play or prove himself. Even when he transferred they had another striker transfer to them on the same day. They gave him one start in his first game for the team and he played 90 minutes and scored. His reward for scoring was to play only 8 minutes in the next game and sit on the bench the next two games. After that he appeared 11 more times but only as a sub and mostly right at the end of the game. He only played 203 minutes for Frankfurt and his one goal in 203 minutes is actually a decent scoring rate. I hope they handle Occean a lot better.

Friend certainly has had bad luck recently though it is partly because he is a one dimensional type of striker that you have to have the right players to play with. In Berlin he was promised that they would build the team around him but they really only got two midfielders who would play well with him. Then both of those players got long term injuries at the same time and their replacements had different characteristics and were not good at getting him the ball so he became ineffective and lost his place to younger players who fit the new tactics and played better than expected. Then he transfers to Frankfurt, scores in his first game and hardly plays again.

There has been some confusion as to whether Friend was loaned or transfered to Frankfurt but obviously it was a transfer or else Frankfurt would just send him back to Berlin. The current situation is there are definitely clubs interested in him such as Paderborn but they are unwilling to pay his fairly high salary for the 2 years left on his contract. FC Lucerne was interested in him but only on loan which did not interest Frankfurt. Friend is unwilling to take a pay cut which is his right and Frankfurt seems unwilling to swallow part of his salary to transfer him to a team like Paderborn or loan him to Lucerne. So Frankfurt is trying to find teams that are willing to take over his full contract and that has led them to Japan.....

Could have sworn I read that if Frankfurt was promoted his loan would turn into a permanent transfer, thus him not returning to Hertha.

Could have sworn I read that if Frankfurt was promoted his loan would turn into a permanent transfer, thus him not returning to Hertha.

That's right - he signed a 3 year contract from the start, but there was a clause that during the first year he would be on loan from Hertha and return there if Frankfurt didn't get promoted. However, since they did get promoted it the loan was turned into a permament deal for the next two seasons.

As for Friend - given his age going to Japan certainly wouldn't be worse than sitting on the bench on Frankfurt. He'll be 33 when his deal in Frankfurt ends, which will limit the options for anyone who didn't play regularily recently. If he can't get an offer that matches his current salary collecting the paycheck from Frankfurt is also a good option if one doesn't want to end up like Aílton.

The ANB Academy is pleased to announce that Jason Mills, a talented 19 yr. old striker with the Academy's Sr. Boys Program, has been offered a professional reserve trial with the French Ligue 1 professional team, L'Olympique de Marseille. While being identified by various professional clubs in the past, Jason was offered this professional trial based on his performance in the most recent ANB Academy's International ID Camp.

Don't think this guy has been mentioned in this forum, but apparently he's part Canadian http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/david-michel-acosta/leistungsdaten/spieler_74351_2010.html

David Michel Acosta - good find. Some have him listed as David MICHAEL Acosta.

Defensive central/right midfielder and a pretty big guy for his position. 187cm 84 kg.

Transferred to Montevideo's Liverpool FC at age 17 from Bella Vista Paysandu. Liverpool is where Whitecap Martin Bonjour was playing before he came to MLS.

Most accurate stats (??) look to be here: http://www.soccerway.com/players/michael-acosta/57274/

Looks to be currently without a club. Probably a bubble player who once was considered a good youth product, like an Isidrio Sanchez or the Chilean with Canadian connections we talked about for a couple years , but could be worth a look for CANCON purposes for an MLS side. CV looks like somebody Vancouver or Montreal might be interested in, TBH.

Can't find any other connection online besides those little Canadian flags on the transfer databases.

Comment on Tosh Ricketts. Google translate is awful, but I don't think this is good. Any German speakers among us?

Dynamo Dresden: Tosaint Ricketts kommt vorerst nicht – Amand Ella abgereist

18 Juli 2012, 3:31

Die Fans von Dynamo Dresden müssen bis auf Weiteres auf die Vorstellung eines neuen Angreifers warten. Während der am Wochenende mit zwei Treffern beim 4:0 gegen den 1. FK Pribram auffällige Italo-Brasilianer schon gestern beim respektablen 0:0 gegen Manchester City nicht mehr eingesetzt wurde und nicht verpflichtet wird, durfte Tosaint Ricketts ebenfalls nicht ran, obwohl Trainer Ralf Loose ihn gerne noch einmal unter die Lupe genommen hätte.

Doch offenbar bereitet dem 24 Jahre alten Stürmer der rumänische Erstligist Politehnica Timisoara, an den der Kanadier noch bis 2013 gebunden ist, Probleme. Nachdem Ricketts selbst schon auf seiner Facebook-Seite mitgeteilt hatte, gegen Manchester nicht spielen zu können, weil sich sein Noch-Klub querstellt, bestätigte nun auch Dynamos Sportchef Steffen Menze, dass für Ricketts keine Freigabe aus Rumänien vorliegt. Wie “Radio Dresden” berichtet, ist die Vepflichtung des Angreifers, der in drei Testspielen vier Treffer erzielt hat, damit zumindest vorerst geplatzt.

Archived