The New Mother Of All Canadians Abroad

jpg75

I am unsure of the reliability (no link) of the claim, but the Italian version of his wikipedia entry says:

"Grazie alla nazionalità della madre, possiede il passaporto canadese che gli permetterebbe di giocare con la selezione nordamericana, eventualità questa non totalmente esclusa dal giocatore."

CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, I don't legitimatly speak Italian.

His mom is Canadian and he has a Canadian passport. I think the final bit puts him as aware of his eligibility and maybe not completely against taking it up as an option.

It says "Thanks to his mom's nationality, he has a Canadian passport which would permit him to play for the North-American squad, an eventuality which the player doesn't totally exclude."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Giuliatto fellow is an '83, so he may be even capable of playing in the 2018 cycle as well. Anxious to see if he signs with TFC and how well he does at the MLS level. From what i can tell he has 4 years of Serie A experience (3 with Lecce and 1 with Treviso) and 2 1/2 years? in Serie B (one each with Lecce, Treviso and Nocerina). Let's hope he's your typical Italian FB; solid defensively and possesses decent technical skills.

If it slipped under FM's nose you can't really fault the CSA lol

This is great news on one hand but also troubling on the other... him signing with TFC would give us another left back in the national set up, the one spot where we have tons of depth. Unfortunately it would potentially take playing time away from Morgan at TFC, AND push him out of the national set up.

I hope Stephen Hart has a face to face with him because this is a player with the type of pedigree that could push us a level higher than our group rivals. Anyone know if he can play anywhere else?

Edit: looks like he can play midfield too... have we found our Josh Simpson replacement? De Jong and him could drastically improve our left for September. Thank you football gods.

If it slipped under FM's nose you can't really fault the CSA lol

This is great news on one hand but also troubling on the other... him signing with TFC would give us another left back in the national set up, the one spot where we have tons of depth. Unfortunately it would potentially take playing time away from Morgan at TFC, AND push him out of the national set up.

I hope Stephen Hart has a face to face with him because this is a player with the type of pedigree that could push us a level higher than our group rivals. Anyone know if he can play anywhere else?

Edit: looks like he can play midfield too... have we found our Josh Simpson replacement? De Jong and him could drastically improve our left for September. Thank you football gods.

Wow, let's not overrate this guy, and/or jump to conclusions here. For all we know he's never even touched Canadian soil! Lecce was a team that bounced from Seria A to B during his time there. During that time, he was an off and on starter. Sometimes in the starting lineup, sometimes subbed in, sometimes riding the pine. Granted, he might crack our national team lineup, but replace Josh Simpson in an attacking role? Ludicrous. His pedigree may read SOMEWHAT better than say, David Edgar, but then Edgar is up and coming, and he's not exactly (yet) lauded as a CMT star.

But here's the kicker. He's 28 years old. If he had interest in playing for us, wouldn't he have done so already? Just because his mom blah blah I don't judge this man Canadian as he probably doesn't judge himself Canadian. Alain Rochat is WAY more Canadian and I don't consider HIM Canadian either. He actually plays for the whitecaps not just on trial at TFC. It would still be Morgan's job to lose, and there's no way to say this guy is good enough to even take it yet.

Wow, let's not overrate this guy, and/or jump to conclusions here. For all we know he's never even touched Canadian soil! Lecce was a team that bounced from Seria A to B during his time there. During that time, he was an off and on starter. Sometimes in the starting lineup, sometimes subbed in, sometimes riding the pine. Granted, he might crack our national team lineup,but replace Josh Simpson in an attacking role? Ludicrous. His pedigree may read SOMEWHAT better than say, David Edgar, but then Edgar is up and coming, and he's not exactly (yet) lauded as a CMT star.

But here's the kicker. He's 28 years old. If he had interest in playing for us, wouldn't he have done so already? Just because his mom blah blah I don't judge this man Canadian as he probably doesn't judge himself Canadian.

I think Keegan is talking about while Josh is injured. I don't think we'll see Josh in Canadian colours until spring 2013 at the earliest so it may be good to have some depth at the LW position. Right now if Ricketts goes down who steps in? INF? He hasn't been playing in months!

As far as him stepping on Canadian soil, who cares? Had Marc Bircham ever been to Canada before his first home game? Football is a mercenaries games and we've lost our fair share, if we can get one back, and through proper lineage, great. Also this guy may not even know he's eligible let alone wanted in the Canada set up. The CSA has to explore every option and not just via twitter (he he he).

Ya its unfortunate he plays at a position that we have the best depth in. When DeJong comes back though I would like to see him tried in a midfield role, either on the left or center of a midfield 3 or as one of 2 holding mids playing behind a more attacking midfield 3. Then that leaves Jazic and Kluka with Morgan as a deputy at left back. IDK I can't see Kluka not regaining the starting spot by September, if this guy is quality we should have a look at him and keep him in the mix, but I would'nt go throwing the guys we have under the bus just because the guy played serie A unless he is in fact a step above the others.

Wow, let's not overrate this guy, and/or jump to conclusions here. For all we know he's never even touched Canadian soil! Lecce was a team that bounced from Seria A to B during his time there. During that time, he was an off and on starter. Sometimes in the starting lineup, sometimes subbed in, sometimes riding the pine. Granted, he might crack our national team lineup, but replace Josh Simpson in an attacking role? Ludicrous. His pedigree may read SOMEWHAT better than say, David Edgar, but then Edgar is up and coming, and he's not exactly (yet) lauded as a CMT star.

But here's the kicker. He's 28 years old. If he had interest in playing for us, wouldn't he have done so already? Just because his mom blah blah I don't judge this man Canadian as he probably doesn't judge himself Canadian. Alain Rochat is WAY more Canadian and I don't consider HIM Canadian either. He actually plays for the whitecaps not just on trial at TFC. It would still be Morgan's job to lose, and there's no way to say this guy is good enough to even take it yet.

Josh Simpson is out for the rest of the year so that's what I was referring to. But even speaking about Josh Simpson... how does he have more pedigree? He's great for us and all but if we're honest here he's never played in a top league. He's played in the English and German second divisions, on a lower half team in Turkey and now on a pretty good team in Switzerland. I love Josh, just calling a spade a spade it's not like we're replacing an all world player.

I think Keegan is talking about while Josh is injured. I don't think we'll see Josh in Canadian colours until spring 2013 at the earliest so it may be good to have some depth at the LW position. Right now if Ricketts goes down who steps in? INF? He hasn't been playing in months!

As far as him stepping on Canadian soil, who cares? Had Marc Bircham ever been to Canada before his first home game? Football is a mercenaries games and we've lost our fair share, if we can get one back, and through proper lineage, great. Also this guy may not even know he's eligible let alone wanted in the Canada set up. The CSA has to explore every option and not just via twitter (he he he).

My point on Simpson being that, although this guy might have played midfield from time to time, he isn't GOOD ENOUGH to replace Simpson in attacking midfield. Why? Not because Simpson isn't "all world" Even if he played mid, it was probably a more defensive role. So him stepping in for Ricketts, also ludicrous. This guy's natural position is left half back, not LW, Keegan if you misread. So what the heck are you doing even talking about him in that role

And Mserson, my point about Canadian soil was that I doubt he wants to play for Canada, as he's 28, why wouldn't he have already expressed interest? My points on the thread were that HE isn't likely to play for Canada. And we aren't even knowing he's good enough to. I'm not worried about how good OUR players are, I'm saying you are immediately thinking HE is good enough to without enough prior knowledge. Just because he rides pine in Seria A at left back for a team that gets relegated doesn't mean HE is better either.

Spent about 10-15 googling (wiki'ing as well) "Canadian-born" footballers etc.

Carlos Rivas Godoy - Universidad de Concepcion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Rivas_Godoy

*has 2 u20 Canada and 1 senior cap....

Playing at a good level - yet not even a consideration for the senior team now?

Bryan Cristante - AC Milan youth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Cristante

*has 7 Italy youth caps, 1 senior AC Milan appearance as sub in Champs League

-Definitely one for CMNT to follow pending how his Italian NT career goes.

Didn't find anymore Canadian-born or So&SoCountry-Canadian pro's.....but didn't look too long either.

Spent about 10-15 googling (wiki'ing as well) "Canadian-born" footballers etc.

Carlos Rivas Godoy - Universidad de Concepcion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Rivas_Godoy

*has 2 u20 Canada and 1 senior cap....

Playing at a good level - yet not even a consideration for the senior team now?

Bryan Cristante - AC Milan youth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Cristante

*has 7 Italy youth caps, 1 senior AC Milan appearance as sub in Champs League

-Definitely one for CMNT to follow pending how his Italian NT career goes.

Didn't find anymore Canadian-born or So&SoCountry-Canadian pro's.....but didn't look too long either.

Fun - and good find on the Cristante kid, although he is one of Italy's better prospects and I think it's his Dad who has spent time in Canada so he's a longshot. Definitely could use a player with his talent if they could ever convince him.

Tried to play and I think I found one, don't see him on the MOACA list -

Adrian Becic - FC Dugopolje http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=hr&tl=en&u=http://www.nkdugopolje.hr/index.php/igraci/adrian-becic&usg=ALkJrhgn2tHPFJfEBRcpp7EhPj_BU09-2g

23 year old starting keeper for a team in the top Croatian League (newly promoted), born in Toronto

Not that we need another keeper but with his age and league he actually looks like someone the NT might keep their eye on if they don't know about him already. Apparently he started the season as the backup and won the job from the #1 shirt, a 31 year old Croatian vet, ended the season with 3 straight clean sheets in 1-0 wins to get them promoted. Keeps his job next year he'll be in a pretty good spot for a 23 year old.

@footscray - if that Becic guy is a Canuck then yes, he's playing in a decent enough league at a young age - worth following. I tweeted his name and Cristante's name to @canadasocceren! :)

Yep he's at least partly Canadian, when I was doing the Canadian websearch today and found him his facebook profile came up and there's photos of him training at BMO with TFC gear on a few years back. Not sure what the story is there, looked like he may have potentially been in their youth setup.

Hopefully he has a good year in the top league in Croatia, starting at that level at 23 will be great developmentally and really put him in a pretty solid shop window. He's in that 20-23 age group with Misiewicz, Thomas and the others but looks to be a step ahead at club level.

*edit* actually can't tell if they got promoted or not. They won div 2, and in a couple places it says they're going up, but I think the premier league is being contracted from 16 to 12 teams next year and they are not listed on the league Wikipedia page for 2012/13 for what that's worth.

Checking on some Croatian soccer web sites they confirm that Adrian Becic was born in Toronto in 1989. This past year he played 17 games for Dugopolje in the Croatian 2nd division. Even though they finished 1st in, the team elected not to move up to 1st division. He has played in Croatia since at least 2005.

Well there's another one to watch! :) Croatian 2nd div is probably NASL level at best - but will have many technical players, loads of exposure, and lots of quality playing opportunities relative to NASL. The top Croatian Premier teams are no doubt MLS or better.

fairly minor post, Ladislas Bushiri, also Congolese but uncapped by a senior squad is playing with the LA Blues in USL Pro

http://labluesprosoccer.com/team/roster/

He's not eligible to rep. Canada. as he has played for Congo youth before being able to meet FIFA residency requirements.

Also, any youth players who have represented another country are off the list until they play Canada.

Lastly, Carlos Rivas Jr. has not been at U. de Concepcion for about 3 years. If anyone has more recent info. on him that would be great.

http://www.laudeconce.cl/web/index.php?option=com_joomleague&func=showPlayers&p=50&ttid=666&Itemid=287

Archived