The New Mother Of All Canadians Abroad

jpg75

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good god! That's excellent for him. I've seen Lucas play a few times; he was with the Whitecaps U-23 this past summer in USL PDL and with the Abbotsford Mariners the summer before. Lanky ginger kid. Was one of Abbotsford's better players and you can tell they missed him in goal, but didn't stand out head-and-shoulders above Callum Irving with the PDL team.

• 2 weeks later...

- Galway United dissolved essentially and Victor Collins is MIA.

- Peters needs to be erased from this list too.

- Maltese Canadian Gaetano Gesualdi plays for Maltese top flight side Rabat Ajax. Most sites have him listed as born in Canada, and he is a 20 y/o defender with a few minutes this season already which sounds promising:

http://www.soccerway.com/players/joseph-gaetano-gesualdi/165881/

http://www.rabatajax.com/Pages/News.aspx?NewsId=42

http://www.anbfutbol.com/news_and_buzz_sept12_2010.html

- Landon Ling is back playing with Kitchee in HK again: http://www.hkfa.com/en/player_view.php?player_id=8199

There is an article in today's Metro paper about Fraser Aird playing for Rangers this past weekend. "Aird, who played a handful of matches for Scotland's U17 side but insists he's still not closed the door on suiting up for Canada at the senior level".

Maybe Gasparotto has been telling him to re-join us? I believe they are good friends!

Funny, but my classmate plays soccer with Aird's cousin. He was just telling me yesterday that Aird came on as a sub this weekend...and then lo and behold, Aird got the start today in a Cup match against Motherwell. Hopefully, he does swing back to play for us cuz you never know...

Also, Gasparotto still without a first team appearance.

Started a convo on reddit with some Frankfurt fans... Here are their opinions on Occean...

He's was injured for that match, but I tthink he's quite good so far, if a bit unlucky. Scored one goal this campaign, against Hamburg. But let's hear from some real Frankfurt supporter how he's doing.

Funny, but my classmate plays soccer with Aird's cousin. He was just telling me yesterday that Aird came on as a sub this weekend...and then lo and behold, Aird got the start today in a Cup match against Motherwell. Hopefully, he does swing back to play for us cuz you never know...

Also, Gasparotto still without a first team appearance.

I think Luca will get his chance, there have been youth players getting chances through out the season. Fraser did quite well coming off the bench then 80 mins yesterday.

Yes Aird is ahead of Luca in that Aird is a midfield player and Luca a defender. Much less likely to put young defenders out compared to young midfielders. Aird may very well be a better player of course, I don't know.

If Aird works out, then ya, he's Canadian and it'd be great to add him to our player pool. Although at a big club let's keep in mind they are Scottish D3.

• 2 weeks later...
Vito is a nice little player. He played with Villains in Calgary whose TD has connections in southern Germany. He was scouted by TSV 1860 Munich a few years ago and there was talk that they would sign him. Nonetheless, nice to see him get a foot in the door in Germany.

Vito scored his first goal for FC Memmingen II on 7 October 2012 on his ninth appearance. It was the winner in a 2-1 victory. He has logged 302 minutes to 13 October 2012, appearing in 10 of the 15 games. He has started once and come on as a substitute 9 times. FC Memmingen II play in the Landesliga Bayern-Sudwest (6).

http://www.fussball-vorort.de/vereine/fc-memmingen/herren-2/das-richtige-antwort-rechten-zeit-2537120.html

Grant Fadden has signed with FC Feucht in Germany. He is from Abbotsford, BC. Is 17 years old. Feucht is a u23 team and is a feeder for Nurnberg.

SC Feucht is not a U23 team, it is a men's team playing in the 6th division. Fadden is signed to their U19 team which is probably better than playing for the first team because there will be more talented players in the youth league than in the 6th division. I would not really call them a feeder team for Nurnberg but they are a small team in the Nurnberg region so just like the other small teams in the region if they have any talented players Nurnberg is the most likely team to sign them.

My source was a newspaper article. It would not surprise me the article was wrong.

I suspect the source for the newspaper article was also the development academy that Fadden is signed with which specializes in placing players internationally (and SC Feucht seems to be one of the clubs they use) and there is a bit of marketing stuff in there that is not very accurate. Germany does not really have feeder clubs other than their own reserve teams though obviously a club located in the Nurnberg region is going to have much stronger ties and contacts to Nurnberg than any other club. Likewise as far as I know there aren't any U23 clubs that are playing in the pyramid other than the reserve teams. I suspect it is not allowed although there is nothing stopping a team from having only young players but for that most parts the reason for that would be probably financial necessity. In the German system talented players are found and transferred fairly young to the bigger clubs for low if any fees. It is hard to finance a small club or make a profit from selling players in Germany so most lower division clubs concentrate on getting as high up the pyramid as they can afford. Some of the lower division clubs do have decent youth programs though but as I said the talented players are snapped up pretty quickly.

Possible changes you can look over:

Dylan Carreiro + Michael Petrasso - QPR Youth

John Toner - Runcorn Town FC (10th tier England) Not sure if he is still active.. may have been last season only.

Dominic Imhof - his club is in the fourth tier in Swiss football now I believe

Tony Di-Barnardo - Crawley Down Gatwick (8th tier England)

Patrick Wilson - Cowes Sports FC (10th tier England)

Martin John - Ontinyent CF (3rd tier Spain)

Michael Smith - Northern Irish born half-Canadian (see link below) playing for Bristol Rovers FC (4th Tier England)

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol-Rovers-Paul-Buckle-signs-Michael-Smith/story-12825593-detail/story.html

I am sure some of these may have been posted before. Just checking on Football Manager 2013... :)

I've been waiting for official confirmation by QPR that the boys were signed. Appears to have happened:

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/041012-canada-call-ups-for-young-duo-408526.aspx

R'S YOUNGSTERS Dylan Carreiro and Michael Petrasso have been selected in the latest Canada Under-20 squad.

The duo, both 17, were signed in the summer from the Toronto Academy and will travel out to Spain for the Marbella Cup, which takes place between October 7th and 16th.

Archived