Reed says Canadians should support TFC

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish them well in the CCL and MLS. The only time I cheer against them is when they play the Caps. I must say that this year it is a lot easier to cheer for them with Dero, Adrian and now Ali added to the lineup. With Canadian content like that it makes it a whole lot easier to cheer for them.

If Toronto FC makes a deep run in the CCL, I would expect that even some of the most ardent Whitecaps or Impact supporters might be quietly hoping that the club does well, only because it would be good for the state of club soccer in this country, which needs as much help as possible.

However, at this stage of the tournament, I'm sure those same Impact and 'Cap fans won't shed a single tear if TFC is launched from this tournament by Puerto Rico.

^^ I think that's correct and I'll tell you why.

If TFC we're facing a Real Esteli, or some other Central American/Caribbean opponent, I think people would be supporting them from the get go. However, since they are facing Puerto Rico, I think it's safe to say that many Whitecaps and Impact fans will view this as an MLS vs. USL battle and an opportunity to once again show that the disparity between the two leagues is not all it's made out to be.

Speaking as an Impact fan, I wouldn't mind if TFC did well in this competition. I'll even go so far as to say that a succesful cup run resulting in positive media coverage in the largest market in the country is a good, good thing for our sport.

I don't hate you guys. You're not Rochester.

Here you go squizz:

As an Impact supporter, I hope that TFC (and Rochester) lose all their games by enormous margins, even friendlies against college teams. They're bitter rivals. I'd love to have seen Vancouver do well, but let's not revisit that...

First of all as far as Reed goes, I think people should hope for who they want. It is not up to a broadcaster who lives in Toronto and earns a living televising TFC broadcasts to tell people who they should hope for. I would almost in a rare instance agree with MediaGuy if he could for once get his facts right (for example, the Impact also have a national tv contract and while they don't play in front of 20 000 they do play in front of very large crowds as well) and lose the condescending tone.

Personally, I am mixed on this. On the one hand as an Impact supporter it would be nice to see TFC lose but on the other hand as a Voyageur it is probably good for Canadian soccer if they have a long run in CCL. In some way it is both a win-win and lose-lose situation in that in both possible outcomes I can find a positive and a negative. My heart will be for Puerto Rico (or more accurately against TFC though also a little bit for USL and also a bit for a team of players that I like better than the TFC players (Serioux, Nana and Frei excepted)) but my head will be with TFC (or more accurately for Canadian success in CONCACAF). Probably while watching the game my heart will rule my head (it always does) and I will cheer for PR (I just couldn't fathom actually cheering for TFC) but in post game analysis I will certainly appreciate what the result positive or negative will do for Canadian soccer.

Jesus, Nigel even sounds like a fuck on "paper".

And Mediaguy, start doing some fact checking, dude! SRC is nationally broadcasted! FSC is internationally broadcasted! Having attendance of 12,000-14,000(and one 55k), is pretty damned good for Canada. I know you were trying to say we shouldn't have to get behind Toronto, but even in an article with a subject that shows respect, you come off as disrespectful, or at best, ignorant, when you say stuff like that.

And I agree with Dan, I hope Toronto lose every single thing that comes along for them.

I guess I "want" PR to advance, but if an opportunity comes up holding both TFC and PR out of the Cup, I'll be ecstatic.

I want Toronto to lose, I want Vancouver to lose, I want Porto Rico to lose, I want everyone that isn't the Montreal Impact to do terribly.

To my mind the lesser of the two evils is Toronto going deep into this tourny. I'll admit I've been following Montreal with some interest the last couple of years but that bias aside I can't believe how into the CCL I got entirely thanks to the surprising and stylish success the club enjoyed last year. That and the TV coverage sure helped. But still I think the point is made.

Any Canadian representative (especially TFC) being successful in this tourney is good business for football in this country. End of story. I'll hold my nose and wish them the best if it means more positive coverage for soccer in Canada and an increased following in the GTA for this and future CCL tourneys in the years to come.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

If Toronto FC makes a deep run in the CCL, I would expect that even some of the most ardent Whitecaps or Impact supporters might be quietly hoping that the club does well, only because it would be good for the state of club soccer in this country, which needs as much help as possible.

However, at this stage of the tournament, I'm sure those same Impact and 'Cap fans won't shed a single tear if TFC is launched from this tournament by Puerto Rico.

I always support TFC except the couple of times they've played the Impact. I don't feel there is much of a real rivalry yet, and I'm the type of fan that has a favorite team in every league. I enjoy that they now have several of my favorite MNT players too. Every Impact fan I know personally feels similarly, (without obviously wanting to speak for all Impact fans). No need to be quiet about it really.

quote:Originally posted by Cyrus

Speaking as an Impact fan, I wouldn't mind if TFC did well in this competition. I'll even go so far as to say that a succesful cup run resulting in positive media coverage in the largest market in the country is a good, good thing for our sport.

I don't hate you guys. You're not Rochester.

Too funny :D

Or as us Caps fans would say "I'll say a lot of bad things about them but at least they aren't Seattle".

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

First of all as far as Reed goes, I think people should hope for who they want. It is not up to a broadcaster who lives in Toronto and earns a living televising TFC broadcasts to tell people who they should hope for. I would almost in a rare instance agree with MediaGuy if he could for once get his facts right (for example, the Impact also have a national tv contract and while they don't play in front of 20 000 they do play in front of very large crowds as well) and lose the condescending tone.

Personally, I am mixed on this. On the one hand as an Impact supporter it would be nice to see TFC lose but on the other hand as a Voyageur it is probably good for Canadian soccer if they have a long run in CCL. In some way it is both a win-win and lose-lose situation in that in both possible outcomes I can find a positive and a negative. My heart will be for Puerto Rico (or more accurately against TFC though also a little bit for USL and also a bit for a team of players that I like better than the TFC players (Serioux, Nana and Frei excepted)) but my head will be with TFC (or more accurately for Canadian success in CONCACAF). Probably while watching the game my heart will rule my head (it always does) and I will cheer for PR (I just couldn't fathom actually cheering for TFC) but in post game analysis I will certainly appreciate what the result positive or negative will do for Canadian soccer.

I can't turn my TV on and watch the Impact Grizz (I could buy RDS, but it's hardly got national reach. TFC is free over the air nationally). And they don't play in front of 20,000 people. What's hard to understand about that?

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I can't turn my TV on and watch the Impact Grizz (I could buy RDS, but it's hardly got national reach. TFC is free over the air nationally). And they don't play in front of 20,000 people. What's hard to understand about that?

The Impact play (sporadically) on SRC.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

To make Rudi happy I won't repeat what everyone else has said. Yet it is pretty pathetic that someone who claims to be a national soccer journalist doesn't know that Impact games are broadcast nationally on a regular basis. Pathetic especially when one thinks about how many times posters on this very forum (and mostly English speaking ones from western Canada since the majority of Quebecois go to the games live) have posted about watching Impact games on SRC. Did you graduate from the Ben Knight School of Inaccurate Journalism?

And yes it is accurate that they don't play in front of 20 000 but you make it sound like we are playing in front of very small crowds and should be grateful and impressed that TFC is getting 20 000. The Impact is averaging around 12 000 a game this year despite the poor on field performance. You write stuff like the following and then wonder why people find you arrogant?

quote:I’ve been called arrogant for pointing out what seems to me to be obvious – TFC has a national TV contract and plays in front of 20,000 people weekly. The USL clubs do not have those things. They do have, of course, dedicated fans that care very deeply for them. There just aren’t enough of them, nor will there ever be when they are at the USL level. We’ve had 10 plus years of evidence to back up my contention.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

And yes it is accurate that they don't play in front of 20 000 but you make it sound like we are playing in front of very small crowds and should be grateful and impressed that TFC is getting 20 000. The Impact is averaging around 12 000 a game this year despite the poor on field performance.

To be fair, TFC averaged 20,000 for over two years despite poor on-field performance. :D

I hope they advance past Puerto Rico, primarily because I don't want to see Canada lose its top seed in the preliminary round. On top of that, advancing would put Toronto's playoff hopes in serious jeopardy.

They're looking at flying from LA to Costa Rica to Seattle to Denver, back home to play Colorado and Cruz Azul/Herediano in the space of a month...and then they fly back out to LA, back home to play Saprissa, a quick trip to Chicago before heading back to Central America.

Wed July 29 @ Puerto Rico (CCL)

Sat Aug 1 @ New England

Tues Aug 4 @ Puerto Rico (CCL)

Sat Aug 15 vs DC

Tues Aug 18 @ Columbus (CCL)

Sat Aug 22 @ Chivas USA

Tues Aug 25 @ Deportivo Saprissa (CCL)

Sat Aug 29 @ Seattle

Sat Sept 5 @ Colorado

Sat Sept 12 vs Colorado

Tues Sept 15 vs Cruz Azul/Herediano (CCL)

Sat Sept 19 @ LA Galaxy

Tues Sept 22 vs. Deportivo Saprissa (CCL)

Sat Sept 26 @ Chicago

Wed Sept 30 @ Cruz Azul/Herediano (CCL)

Sat Oct 10 vs. San Jose

Sat Oct 17 vs/ Salt Lake

Tues Oct 20 vs. Columbus (CCL)

Sat Oct 24 @ New York

Sat Nov 1 - MLS Playoffs begin

As a Whitecaps fan, I can't think of anything more satisfying than watching TFC get absolutely decimated by injuries while they prop up the group table (not a given, but does anyone really fancy their chances out of the group of death with such a small roster?) and spiral out of the playoff race. But that's just me.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Jesus, Nigel even sounds like a fuck on "paper".

And Mediaguy, start doing some fact checking, dude! SRC is nationally broadcasted! FSC is internationally broadcasted! Having attendance of 12,000-14,000(and one 55k), is pretty damned good for Canada. I know you were trying to say we shouldn't have to get behind Toronto, but even in an article with a subject that shows respect, you come off as disrespectful, or at best, ignorant, when you say stuff like that.

And I agree with Dan, I hope Toronto lose every single thing that comes along for them.

I guess I "want" PR to advance, but if an opportunity comes up holding both TFC and PR out of the Cup, I'll be ecstatic.

I want Toronto to lose, I want Vancouver to lose, I want Porto Rico to lose, I want everyone that isn't the Montreal Impact to do terribly.

TWO THUMBS UP .... well said. .... oh and PS who is Nigel Reed?

Archived