Reed says Canadians should support TFC

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Well, Mediaguy, that was a great, nationally broadcasted, well attended, 20,000 spectator loss for your team.

Except judging from all the empty seats there were far less than 20 000 in the stadium. Actually this is the case in almost all TFC games I watch including the one against the Impact that I attended in person. The 20 000 figure really refers to the number of people and corporations who can afford to buy tickets without actually feeling compelled to show up.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was sitting here thinking about what to write and how to tell all of you haters that you're really not helping the game here in Canada (which is what we all want, right?) by wanting TFC out of the competition right away. I think I've come up with the answer.

Go to the pub in your hometown wearing your own team's jersey and cheer for Puerto Rico. That way, you're hating on TFC AND bringing publicity to the game, passion, and rivalry that this country so desperately needs. Go to the main square in your city and wave your flags. Burn something with TFC on it!!!! Get on TV!!!!

Just don't wave any Puerto Rico flags. After finally getting stadiums filled with Canadian fans we don't want to backtrack.

^ Pretty good idea. But the problem is the number of pubs where you can actually watch the game in order to cheer for PR. A pub that shows a game that doesn't involve the hometown team and features an MLS side against a USL one (did I say footie snobs ?) is still a long shot to find. Sad but true.

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

^ Pretty good idea. But the problem is the number of pubs where you can actually watch the game in order to cheer for PR. A pub that shows a game that doesn't involve the hometown team and features an MLS side against a USL one (did I say footie snobs ?) is still a long shot to find. Sad but true.

Not true in Montreal. Frappe will show anything unless there is some major sporting event that has filled the bar. I couldn't go out to a bar for the game so I didn't try and organize anything there. I can think of at least 3 or 4 other bars in Montreal that would show the game if asked. Next week's game is at the same time as the Impact-River Plate game so we won't organize a viewing for that either but otherwise we probably would organize something. I would think in most cities of a decent size the situation would be similar. You just need to find a bar that has Goltv and is relatively empty which shouldn't be that difficult on a Wednesday or Tuesday night.

To respond to earlimus, the more fans we have in Canada who feel so strongly about their team that they could never support their rival Canadian team the better for the Canadian national team and Canadian soccer in general. These are the same fans who will be passionate enough to come out to national team games and ensure that our home games truly are home games.

^ You're right on this, I never went to Frappe but know about it. But when you can name the places where you can watch it... you know what I mean. I'm not asking for the same level of interest they show when it comes to NHL or NFL games, but still, there's a long way to go.

In response to earlimus' point, when you have to ask to watch the game, there's a good chance you're the only one truly interested, so how can you actually create some publicity and bring some passion regarding those kind of games ? That was my point. Never underestimate the "footie snobs" (not sure how you call them in english...)

"Footie snobs" is perfect. Douchebags works too. Still, you can't really blame people for preferring superior league's to their own. North of my city here in Spain is a tiny little town called Jaca that is the number one team in Spain for ice hockey. One of only 4 teams in fact. I don't know if a guy there could be called a snob just because he prefered watching a NHL game to a televised Jaca vs. Barca (which is worse than high school Canadian hockey, trust me). I've been into soccer for around 8 years now and I sure as hell never gave a crap about the Toronto Lynx back when they were the only local option.

You're right Grizzly, that kind of passion is great for the game. I also realize that it's hard to support another team just to "help grow the game here domestically". I guess I think that we need to do everything we can. Other clubs in other countries certainly don't do that but then... they're not Canada. Still, showing passion for your own Canadian club accomplishes the same thing as far as publicity goes.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Except judging from all the empty seats there were far less than 20 000 in the stadium. Actually this is the case in almost all TFC games I watch including the one against the Impact that I attended in person. The 20 000 figure really refers to the number of people and corporations who can afford to buy tickets without actually feeling compelled to show up.

Torontonians are notorious for showing up late to everything.

Judge the crowd size by what it looks like in the 20th minute, not at kick off.

True. Part of the reason is that the GO train from Burlington and points between helpfully gets in to Exhibition a few minutes after 8:00, so several hundred fans who don't want to hang around for an hour arrive late.

I was there, and the stadium was almost full on the East side by 8:15. The extra bench seats on the North end were full, which was an extra 1000 +/-.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

"Footie snobs" is perfect. Douchebags works too. Still, you can't really blame people for preferring superior league's to their own. [...] I've been into soccer for around 8 years now and I sure as hell never gave a crap about the Toronto Lynx back when they were the only local option.

Preferring a superior league is pretty acceptable. But one doesn't exclude the other actually IMO. Don't you follow some college/junior teams (of any sport) sometimes ? You can cheer for Barca, Man U or AC as long as you want, everybody understands that. But why don't you ALSO follow the activities of your "domestic" league and cheer for your local team, even if the organization is Lynx-like ? I mean, they represent the potential of a great belonging feeling in your city, like other city trademarks do.

You're the one that brought the douchebag term after all. ;)

<MOD ALERT> Guys, please chill and don't get into name-calling. Everyone's entitled to an intelligent opinion.

The topic is: why Canadians should support TFC ...

Suggestion: Make your arguments or points with wit, and make it interesting. Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

Hahahaha ^^^^^. Nice. Now get that on tv somehow for some soccer publicity!!!

Redhat, I just looked back and I don't see any actual name calling, just a little witty banter.

Yeah, I was surprised at the red text alert...it's a thread with Rudi, Mpenza, Grizzly,MrImpact and myself, and it's all civil.

The moderation in this place has to be less severe, every time I wanna say fuck, I have to take a little extra time to bypass the idiotic censor. Somethings can spiral out of control for pages, and then we can have a civil one with intervention like this one.

If you're gonna sensor that word into something, at least make it something that makes sense when subbed in, instead of "great".

Either put it to something like "frigg", so it makes sense, or, get rid of it all together.

<MOD> As far as I know, and I'm new in this role, mods don't have much power over the censorship stuff.

As for the thread it self, I think it's fine and obviously redhat just made an honest mistake and thought there was some name calling.

Please get back to your civil discussion without further delay <MOD>

The moderation in this place has to be less severe, every time I wanna say fuck, I have to take a little extra time to bypass the idiotic censor. Somethings can spiral out of control for pages, and then we can have a civil one with intervention like this one.

If you're gonna sensor that word into something, at least make it something that makes sense when subbed in, instead of "great".

Either put it to something like "frigg", so it makes sense, or, get rid of it all together.

Thanks. We don't censor, but people should be civil enough

(or mature enough) to understand that minors (those under 18)

can be reading these. I apologize if anyone thinks it's too

much, but we have to step in BEFORE things may go out of hand.

My mistake if everyone thinks it's okay.

This anti-TFC/anti-Toronto, inter-club rivalry has gotten out of

hand on many threads, and yet we have not stepped in.

We just want things to not get too personal, and not boring.

The rule is: say something related to the topic, and be as witty

as possible with any retort.

And no, although it may be appropriate in many cases, calling

someone "douchebag" has no wit on any forum.;)

Noone called anyone douchebag on this thread though. The term was used to describe people who aren't interested in supporting Canadian soccer. You can agree or disagree with that but it was not used as a personal insult to any other poster so I see no reason for it to be moderated.

BTW, Redhat, why are your posts always formatted so there is a lot of empty space on the right and thus they are very long lengthwise as a result?

Sorry to offend anyone about the formatting. I find it better than

reading something that goes on and on without punctuation or

anything. As for the perceived over-moderating, I again apologize

for the perception. That's not our/my intent.

But guys, please carry on with your banter, including any anti-Toronto

or anti-TFC stuff that other areas of Canada may find of little

interest. ;)

His spacing is even worse than my line by line, tiny paragraphs for each tiny thought I have that are separated by a space.

It looks like I should read his posts as a poem or something artistic.

Oh, and loyola, just to let you know, I started bypassing that filter while under the age of 18. I think you should find out who has control over the censor, because i take the time to make it "fucking", rather than "greating". the censorship makes me swear, while I'd leave it alone if it were only "frigg"

His spacing is even worse than my line by line, tiny paragraphs for each tiny thought I have that are separated by a space.

Oh, and loyola, just to let you know, I started bypassing that filter while under the age of 18. I think you should find out who has control over the censor, because i take the time to make it "fucking", rather than "greating". the censorship makes me swear, while I'd leave it alone if it were only "frigg"

Mmmmm... Aren't these the words of a douchebag ? [:P]

frigg

frigging

frigging Hell.

For friggs sake.

frigg off, sod!

frigg you and frigg anyone who even looks like you.

friggity, friggity, frigg, frigg, frigg.

(Seems to be working)

And so it shall be.

(Holding you to that by the way)

Sorry it bothers you, Curtis. From a graphical perspective (my family

has a graphic arts, as well as a financial background) I find it looks

better. That's why newspapers have columns, not continuous lines

without any breaks. But it's really just a preference, like anything.

Archived