Whitecaps- TFC, June 2 - Pre-Game & (R)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by teddym

Yeah . . . had to search for your comments. Looks like you pretty well hid them in somebody else's post there Mister SweetOwnFart. Why'd you do that I wonder?

He made a mistake?

It is horrible that there is a real chance of a coin flip...

If TFC loses 1-0 to Vancouver and beats Montreal exactly 2-0 theres a coin flip

If TFC loses 2-1 to Vancouver and beats Montreal exactly 3-1 theres a coin flip

If TFC loses 3-2 to Vancouver and beats Montreal exactly 4-2 theres a coin flip

If TFC loses 4-3 to Vancouver and beats Montreal exactly 5-3 theres a coin flip

Can't they play an added game at a neutral venue to decide?

quote:Originally posted by Tonka

I interpret it differently.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3669 based on this CSA story.

Head-to-head goal differential only comes into play if three or more teams are tied. Obviously we will not have three teams tied so no matter how much Vancouver wins by TFC will still have a shot at bettering their overall goal differential in Montreal.

I think the "if more than two teams finish equal on points" clause is a mistake in the case of goal differential. It stands to reason that two teams which finish tied on head-to-head points and head-to-head goal differential will also finish tied on head-to-head total goals - hence the clause in no. 4. However, it is quite common for two teams to finish tied on head-to-head points but separated on head-to-head goal differential.

Whatever ends up being the actual tiebreaking procedure, it's worth noting that a combination of head-to-head points, head-to-head goal difference, head-to-head total goals, overall goal difference and overall total goals is a sequence that is commonly used by FIFA-sanctioned leagues and competitions. In fact, for the CONCACAF component of WCQ in 2006, the tiebreaking procedure in the group stages consisted more or less of the sequence above.

The "if more than two teams finish equal on points" clause is rather odd, but that is the official wording. That means h2h goal difference and h2h goals scored only come into play in the event of a three-way tie (in which case they would be the same as overall goal difference/goals scored - so those tiebreakers are effectively pointless).

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

It's do or die for the Caps. Time for Haber to step up and make a name for himself. If Barrett scores again I will freak, let a Canadian decide this tourney! (Ok so if Dichio or another non-Canadian player barries one I won't be too irked, I just can't stand seeing Barrett on the field. Ever.)

Lol. I hear ya brotha. I was watching a YouTube video earlier today of an old game against Chivas. (2008, home game).

And Barrett had a nice ball put infront of him inside the 18. He let it bounce, let it bounce again, and then finally put a foot to it, but by then he was too close to the goal line and the ball simply crashed into the side netting. It's painful to see those squandered opportunities. Especially when he's paid (good money) to put that ball in the BACK of the net. Barrett...I can no longer stick up for this guy. I pray Cummins doesn't field him this game. On a related note, Johnann Smith excelled in that same Chivas @ TFC game from 2008. Perhaps he's worth putting out for tonight's game. Even little Ibrahim. (not exactly little). But somebody who has some creativity and some intensity. Dichio should be subbed on around the 60th.

This seems screwy, that they went from overall goal differential to direct results. It makes sense in itself, but just learning it now significantly changes the competition. Vancouver could draw with the previous rules and still win, which is no longer the case.

I hope for competitiveness' sake that the rules were communicated to the teams at the beginning of the competition.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'd say Attakora will definitely start given that Wynne is on international duty and Robinson may be out due to a concussion.

Maybe Harmse will add to his cup competition goal tally in front of his former home surroundings of Swanguard.

When he says "if toronto draws, they win the championship," then that means even if toronto lose 8-0 in montreal (and have an inferior goal differential to vancouver), both toronto and vancouver have 7 points so head-to-head is the tiebreaker?

So if it's head-to-head, surely a 2-0 vancouver win would win them the title? and a 2-1 win would see tfc get it on the away goal?

Good game so far. Looks a fairly decent number of people in the Southside. It's a shame that this wasn't a weekend game, I would have really liked to see it.

There was a great crowd shot with a bunch of the west Coast V's. I saw Vancouver Fan, Massimo, Iain Allen, Zach, and Piltdownman.

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

When he says "if toronto draws, they win the championship," then that means even if toronto lose 8-0 in montreal (and have an inferior goal differential to vancouver), both toronto and vancouver have 7 points so head-to-head is the tiebreaker?

So if it's head-to-head, surely a 2-0 vancouver win would win them the title? and a 2-1 win would see tfc get it on the away goal?

That's how I understood it. A draw or better and the Vs Cup belongs to TFC. A 2-nil win by Vancouver and the Cup is there's even if TFC win in Montreal as both teams will be level on 9 points but Vancouver will be +1 on goal difference in the tests between the two tied teams with each on 3 pts in head-to-head.

Fragile contest by the way. It's great Vancouver has to win as it forces positive pressures on the match but I can't help but feel if one side or the other starts to get their head around things (as much as Vancouver looked like they were there for a while) the other team may be in for a world of hurt.

Haber and Serioux (and Charles to a lesser degree) really stood out in my eye in that 1st half. Easy to forget how HUGE Sutton is sometimes.

There are some Toronto players who do not deserve to be anywhere near the field. I feel bad for the quality players on Toronto, playing with guy's like that is like playing with 9. Really makes you wonder about the coaching staff.

Full kudos to the Whitecaps. That Toure kid is as good as both his namesakes. Brilliant display and I'm thrilled for him.

Archived