Whitecaps- TFC, June 2 - Pre-Game & (R)

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I can't imagine what Nick Dasovic, Mike Toshak and Kevin Harmse are thinking right now. All turned their backs on Vancouver, and legitimately, all 3 should be gone.

TFC needs to sweep the whole thing clean. Their fans deserve better than what they have on the field. No passion, no desire, not enough speed, and no finish.

Just because you write it on an Internet message board, doesn't make it true. By the way, where did you get this "information"?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The actual tie breakers show TFC is not eliminated, although they play like crap and they won't win.

The Tie-Breaking Criteria are determined in the following order:

1. Most points in all group matches

2. Greater # of points in matches between the teams concerned

3. Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned (if more than two teams finish equal on points) **

4. Greater # of goals scored in matches among the teams concerned (if more than two teams finish equal on points) **

5. Results from all group matches

a) greater goal difference in all group matches

B) greater # of goals scored in all group matches

6. Drawing of lots

**Tie-Breaker criteria # 3 & 4 are not applicable as only two teams are mathematically eligible to win the 2009 Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

Why on earth # 3 and 4 are only if all 3 teams are tied is stupid. It makes sence with just the 2 teams. Yet TFC is in with a chance.. must win 4-0 or 4-1 and up. Yet, that isn't realistically possible and Montreal should not play stupid and let tfc get 4 goals. When Vancouver wins, how do they get the trophy? This is stupid, stupid and stupid.

Can we have a normal knockout competition with a couple semi pro teams in there like a normal country?????

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

The actual tie breakers show TFC is not eliminated, although they play like crap and they won't win.

3. Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned (if more than two teams finish equal on points) **

4. Greater # of goals scored in matches among the teams concerned (if more than two teams finish equal on points) **

6. Drawing of lots

**Tie-Breaker criteria # 3 & 4 are not applicable as only two teams are mathematically eligible to win the 2009 Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

Why on earth # 3 and 4 are only if all 3 teams are tied is stupid. It makes sence with just the 2 teams. Yet TFC is in with a chance.. must win 4-0 or 4-1 and up. Yet, that isn't realistically possible and Montreal should not play stupid and let tfc get 4 goals. When Vancouver wins, how do they get the trophy? This is stupid, stupid and stupid.

Can we have a normal knockout competition with a couple semi pro teams in there like a normal country?????

4-1 won't do it, as TFC are behind by 4 in goal difference (+4 to 0).

6. Drawing of lots

Would you think it is so stupid if TFC had won??

quote:Originally posted by brownbear

Just because you write it on an Internet message board, doesn't make it true. By the way, where did you get this "information"?

Harmse left for Europe, Toshack left for Houston, and Dasovic didn't want to be the Whitecaps reserve teams coach, so he took the job with the U20 MNT. Those are the facts, whether you want to believe them or not. Oh and BTW, if you did your homework, there's one name that connects all 3 and their subsequent departures...Bob Lilley.

3 years I have supported this club, watched almost every minute. I can't do it anymore.

You won't find much sympathy on this board with "only" 3 years or poor results. This is the home of the Voyageurs, after all!

What a brilliant performance by the Whitecaps, they got all the basics right tonight. Without Martin Nash in midfield they looked far more energetic and mobile. As for Toronto, Barrett's miss from 2 yards must surely confirm to even his most die-hard supporters that he's not up the task.

that was fun - many thanks to the southsiders

gawd barrett is bad...nana looks more like the real deal every game...serioux is rock solid...chin is 5'2" by the way...hirano had an off night...a beautiful night on a beautiful grass pitch in a beautiful park in a beautiful province...forget about brennan or harmse or sutton being any more use to the nats except in dire emergencies...same old enigmatic DDR...could haber be called in the MNT any time soon as cover, i wonder?...did TT do a somersault after the final whistle or am i imagining something?

was thinking that if caps can squeeze through with the help of montreal ( i actually predict a 3-1 nailbiter for TFC) then swangard is the perfect host to some of the likely central american opponents - a full, lively stadium on most home nights with lots of local-based support for away teams from honduras, es, guat. mex. etc

should be some good times ahead

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Harmse left for Europe, Toshack left for Houston, and Dasovic didn't want to be the Whitecaps reserve teams coach, so he took the job with the U20 MNT. Those are the facts, whether you want to believe them or not. Oh and BTW, if you did your homework, there's one name that connects all 3 and their subsequent departures...Bob Lilley.

For all the crappy play that Lilley has wrought on the Canadian teams (even if he's done well), he gets his just rewards with the most unflaterring of pictures on Wikipedia:

Bob-lilley.jpg

Why do KFC...oops, TFC's foreign players look as if they don't give a toss about this tournament? Oh, I guess I just answered my own question. However, all the Whitecaps, regardless of origin, looked stuck in from the get go.

As mentioned earlier, Hirano had a bit of a nightmare (back heal facing the goal line in your own penalty area? What the hell were you thinking?) Nolly was incredible.

I used to think Barrett was unbelievably hopeless when I watched him on TV, but he's much worse in person. Vitti might do better if he ever stops playing with his hair.

Come on Impact, final nail in the coffin, please.

Toshack turned his back on the Whitecaps as much as he did to St. Lawrence College and as much as Wayne Rooney did to the Everton U11 team. Better leagues, better money. People grow up, people move on. I doubt he has or ever will regret leaving.

Fantastic atmosphere at Swangard...overflow at 5600. The USL Championships are special, but tonight I saw tears amongst so many of the 86ers fans, Southside & NASL fans who dreamt of a moment like tonight. If the Impact do their job, the Whitecaps name enters FIFA sanctioned international football competition for the first time in their entire history.

Donatelli, Testo & Eddie Sebrango...don't let us down![8D]

Regardless, though, the Caps have done as much as they could possibly do to win the Voyageurs Cup, short of winning all four games. Regardless of what happens, I am proud.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

However, all the Whitecaps, regardless of origin, looked stuck in from the get go.

Such a good point. Toure was ecstatic to score and to win tonight. This tournament definitely already has meaning to these players...except the non-Canadian TFC ones which is weird since TFC should be driving and pushing this tourney the most. I got into footy when TFC joined MLS but I'm from Vancouver so I now cheer for the Whitecaps primarily though I didn't go to the game tonight. The Caps are just built differently - the organization wants to win from the owner down, the front office is competent and can identify talent, the coach is terrific and knows how to adapt, and the players listen. I see exactly zero of those things in TFC.

I have never seen a player as awful as Barrett. What does anyone anymore see in this guy?

Fantastic match have to agree with some of the comments that Vancouver Whitecaps wanted it more from the top down and for TFC sorry MO you need to get your matching papers as this game clearly shows this team again is going no where fast.

great game I must say I was impressed by Knight, Nolly & Toure amazing game the southsiders like always great athmosphere only problem was the lineup for the beer........too long lol. by the way anyone had a Vid of the game? 4goals for TFC hmmmm dream on boys MTL won't let it happen just because it's TFC they are against. Now will the Canadian team be seeded or drawn again into a preliminary round?

Can someone tell me how Barrett missed a wide open header from 4 yards on that De Ro free kick. The whole net and bam right at the goalie. At that point it was over, you could just tell it was done.

I can't do this anymore, what a disgrace. Like 4-4-4 is a horrible start, but at least a Canadian Championship would have made it reasonable. Nope, another loss in the cup game and now we can't do anything this year. No Super Liga, No Champions league, No playoffs.

3 years I have supported this club, watched almost every minute. I can't do it anymore. I couldn't care less about the MLS games. This whole team is done.

They have 3 players who looked half decent and that they care: Attakora, Serioux and De Ro. The rest are horrible. 3 years and nothing. Junky records in MLS, no playoffs, no cup, no international competition. This is embarrasing. Put us in the CSL, maybe we'll win a cup. Put us in the PDL, that would be fun. I don't think I can watch these guys anymore. I have never seen worse soccer played. It should be like an FA Cup final for them but they are lazy idiots and they just fall down and walk aroud like nothing.

In addition to this, no one has a clue whether or not Vancouver actually won this competition. No one even knew this game was on. You think 1 person in a whole high school said something about this game... NO. Thats a disgrace. Whats the point of having this club? no one knows they are playing in a cup final? Are you serious. And umm i think vancouver won!? no, uhh maybe, who knows.. should I celebrate? What kind of tournament is this??

Congratulations Vancouver, you are the best team in Canada.

TFC might as well have slit a whole in my heart, I can't take it.. you kill me.

Disgraceful post. You should never attend another TFC match! As much as I am enjoying the pain that I know the epitomes of arrogant TFC fans like Media Guy are going through. As much as I am enjoying their excuses and reasoning about why MLS is still a 1st division league and USL is a 2nd division league, at least I expect them to be as arrogant and TFC/MLS centric tomorrow. And you are complaining about Barrett and saying DeRo looked great. Yeah he looked great until he was in front of the Vancouver keeper and should have scored at which point he Fuked-up as much as Barrett and as much as he did in almost every Canada match he played in (and if Sean Keay is pissed off about this I hoped he enjoyed the goal line clearance on a shot DeRo should have scored as much as I did!) Too bad that Rocco's goal was wrongly disallowed or it would all be settled but it just gives us the enjoyment of putting TFC out of its misery!

Southsiders, enjoy Mexico, we sure did! We will all be watching the games and wishing you well. Make Canada proud! Where is TFC? Watching CBC (actually they will probably be watching Sportsnet this year:D)!

Congratulations southsiders, congratulations Vancouver!

If it could not be us, I am glad it is you.

Don't worry Vancouver, your brother Montréal will guarantee a cup.

Who scores 4 goals against us anyway? Santos Laguna? They're of a higher calibre than TFC, and has TFC ever had a multi-goal game, despite us being down a man in half of the games? Nope.

BURNABY, B.C. -- The Vancouver Whitecaps got the victory they needed but still must wait to see if they will celebrate winning the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

Midfielder Ansu Toure scored twice and usually stoic Whitecap coach Teitur Thordarson celebrated a 2-0 victory over Toronto FC with a front somersault Tuesday night.

The win gave Vancouver (3-1-0) nine points and all but clinched the Nutrilite championship for the Whitecaps.

Toronto (2-1-0) has six points. TFC must defeat the Montreal Impact by four goals in their June 18 game or Vancouver wins the Voyageurs Cup trophy and earns a berth in the preliminary round of the CONCACAF Champions League.

"Winning by two goals is a bonus," said Thordarson, who had regained his composure by the time he spoke at a press conference. "We deserved it.

My respect grows daily for this man.

"We played extremely well, even if they had some good chances. We knew we had to find the right balance. If they would have scored one goal, it would have been over."

Toure, who was born in Liberia but grew up in St. Paul. Minn., scored his first goals as a Whitecap.

Awesome game for Toure.

"Toronto is a good team," said the 27-year-old, attack-minded winger who played for Miami FC Blues last season. "To score two goals against Toronto, that means so much for me."

Toronto entered the game needing just a draw to claim the title. The loss left head coach Chris Cummins fuming and players in the Toronto dressing room calling each other out.

CC is a good guy but I don't think he's up to scratch. I love TT. He knows how to set up his men and he has a disciplined team. Barrett and some of the Reds don't always play their positions or fulfill their proper roles.

"The better team won on the night, no doubt about it," said Cummins. "We didn't play well enough.

"I have to question hunger, desire, passion. Vancouver had that and we never did. I've openly questioned that and they (his players) are questioning that as well. If you don't show that passion, that desire, that willingness to compete, you are going to get nothing in this game. And that's exactly what happened to us."

Canadian bragging rights were on the line in the match. Toronto plays in Major League Soccer, North America's most prestigious league. The Whitecaps toil in the second-tier United Soccer Leagues' first division.

The media has to learn that USL is not a "second-tier" league. This is now two years in a row that a USL team has taken the cup.

"What it came down to is it was a cup game," said Whitecap goalkeeper Jay Nolly, who has allowed just one goal in four tournament games. "No matter what cup you are playing in, you want to win it.

"It just happened Toronto is in MLS and we are in the USL. It doesn't really matter when it comes down to one game. It's the best team on the day."

A crowd of 5,688, about 400 more than capacity, watched the game on a warm summer evening at Swangard Stadium.

Excellent attendance for Swangard.

Toure clinched the victory in the 81st minute. He took a ball from Charles Gbeke and beat Toronto goalkeeper Greg Sutton with a left-footed, 17-yard strike.

He opened the scoring in the 31st minute on a pretty play by Marcus Haber.

Haber slipped a pass to Wes Knight, who banged a hard, rising shot that Sutton leaped to get a hand on. The rebound went to Toure at the side of the net, who scored with a right-footed shot.

He did well. TFC could learn a thing or two from this guy.

The goal seemed to wake up Toronto, who had two good scoring chances before the half ended.

In the 38th minute Pablo Vitti put Dwayne De Rosario behind the Whitecap defence. Nolly came out to challenge, but the Canadian international chipped the ball over him and toward the net. Vancouver defender Lyle Martin ran the ball down and cleared it off the goal-line.

About three minutes later Vitti blasted a shot that bounced off the post.

Early in the second half Nolly robbed Chad Barrett on a header. The attempt followed a free kick by De Rosario.

---

source: http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=280728

Archived