May 6 - V's Cup: Vancouver v. Toronto (Pre Match)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Word of advice to Toronto posters! Stop feeding the troll. If you want to trash talk with some Montreal fans at least do it with the real ones.

QFT.

I don't know why I responded to Mr. Impact in the first place. I won't make that mistake again.

I like to have banter with people I can actually respect.

ANYWAY...

Clearly this game should be Toronto’s to lose (however, they figured out a way to lose the last one as well). The big issue might be the quick turn around after the Columbus game this week.

I expect there will be some degree of squad rotation used (If Dichio plays Saturday we might see Ibby start – Maybe they will sub Guevera and slot DeRo straight into that spot – Harmse for Velez, etc). That said, it’s pretty clear that Toronto is taking these games seriously. I expect the core to be out there.

It’s still really early for Vancouver and from what I’ve seen so far they will be in tough. However, I anticipate the ‘Caps giving Toronto all it can handle.

TFC by a goal - likely 1-0.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The cheese remark was clearly about Saputo, who happens to be in the dairy business.

i was kiddin.

anyways, i just heard Steve Nash's brother on the Fan 590 Soccer Show. When asked about Vancouver's chances against Toronto, he totally wimped out, said something like "theyre a good side and they're playing well, so it will be a tough test. But it will be great to play in front of that great crowd again." Seriously.

Pretty sad when neither the fans or the players have any hope.

Also, why are there no Southsiders making the trip to Toronto? I thought there might be a small contingent, like those who went to Montreal last year.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

No that doesn't count. Being tazed for a losing cause, now thats a keeper.

Back in the day, me & my friends where the victims of some Old School policing when the coppers busted up all the beers they found in the back seat of my buddies Mum's car one Friday night.

Didn't get arrested but we lost are beer and buddie had to take his Mum's car home soaked and reeking of Club. (I always found that part of this story ironic. Club beer. Police baton. *Smash*. Anyway...)

THAT has to count for something.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Back in the day, me & my friends where the victims of some Old School policing when the coppers busted up all the beers they found in the back seat of my buddies Mum's car one Friday night.

Didn't get arrested but we lost are beer and buddie had to take his Mum's car home soaked and reeking of Club. (I always found that part of this story ironic. Club beer. Police baton. *Smash*. Anyway...)

THAT has to count for something.

Great job moderating Cheetah!

Prediciting the V-Cup is easy. Toronto should win. They have the most resources. They play in a better league. If they don't win, it's because they crapped the bed. Which they did last year.

I predict Toronto wins. If they lose, I'm happy; if they win, I'm right!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Prediciting the V-Cup is easy. Toronto should win. They have the most resources. They play in a better league. If they don't win, it's because they crapped the bed. Which they did last year.

I predict Toronto wins. If they lose, I'm happy; if they win, I'm right!

First and only intelligent post on the thread.

It'll be interesting to see if TFC decides to repeat the same formula as last year, meaning reserving this or that for the V-Cup to bolster a long winless streak in MLS. I would have thought they learnt the lesson, but I have a funny feeling they are going to let the rest of us have a fighting chance yet again. Hope we are up to it.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

anyways, i just heard Steve Nash's brother on the Fan 590 Soccer Show. When asked about Vancouver's chances against Toronto, he totally wimped out, said something like "theyre a good side and they're playing well, so it will be a tough test. But it will be great to play in front of that great crowd again." Seriously.

Also, why are there no Southsiders making the trip to Toronto? I thought there might be a small contingent, like those who went to Montreal last year.

Regarding Nash, I'm not sure what you want him to say? We're going to take 3 points at BMO? Why would he say that? Even if he truly believed it. And I'm not sure why you're taking the piss out of the guy for having a brother who's good at basketball? Does that cheapen Martin's 30 odd caps for Canada? His two USL medals? The guy's a class act, who's never turned his back on his country like your captain and namesake.

Regarding the Southsiders, if you want to talk trash, why not going on their board and talk your trash? Why hide the baiting and trolling under the Vs logo? The quiet around here has nothing to do with hope in my opinion. Like Nash, we'd all be happy with a point away. There's really not much more to say. Personally, I agree this thread is a total waste of time. Look how offside it's gotten already, pitting Impact supporters against each other. How did that happen? Who knows, but these threads go wrong every single time, and all that results is that Vs think each other are assholes.

Why bother?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

First and only intelligent post on the thread.

It'll be interesting to see if TFC decides to repeat the same formula as last year, meaning reserving this or that for the V-Cup to bolster a long winless streak in MLS. I would have thought they learnt the lesson, but I have a funny feeling they are going to let the rest of us have a fighting chance yet again. Hope we are up to it.

A winless streak that is currently at zero.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Regarding Nash, I'm not sure what you want him to say? We're going to take 3 points at BMO? Why would he say that? Even if he truly believed it. And I'm not sure why you're taking the piss out of the guy for having a brother who's good at basketball? Does that cheapen Martin's 30 odd caps for Canada? His two USL medals? The guy's a class act, who's never turned his back on his country like your captain and namesake.

Regarding the Southsiders, if you want to talk trash, why not going on their board and talk your trash? Why hide the baiting and trolling under the Vs logo? The quiet around here has nothing to do with hope in my opinion. Like Nash, we'd all be happy with a point away. There's really not much more to say. Personally, I agree this thread is a total waste of time. Look how offside it's gotten already, pitting Impact supporters against each other. How did that happen? Who knows, but these threads go wrong every single time, and all that results is that Vs think each other are assholes. Why bother?

Couldn't agree more, specially with the bold part.

I used to like a little bit of trash talk with the Voyageurs Cup games or the USL league games between MTL and Vancouver but now it's way too much and the consequences are just like you said: Vs think each other are assholes.

This forum should be for Canadians soccer fans who want to talk about our MNT/WNT, others leagues and Canadian teams in general. Specially in the NCC, TFC/MLS and USL/MTL/VAN sections, it should be about Canadians fans who wants to discuss those leagues and teams instead of serving as a place where TFC, Impact and Vancouver fans meet to highjack every threads with their trashtalk.

I said it in another thread the Voyageurs forum is now serving as a battle ground for clubs fans around the country. Some very good posters who used to post a lot of interesting stuff here are now posting 90 % of their time about their club or event X that happened in that game in 2008 with the purpose of pissing off the other team fans. Not fun to read.

The purpose of the V's has been for Canadian fans to have a place to discuss the game, not for TFC/MTL/VAN fans to meet up and have their weekly argument...

Again, I have no problem with a little bit of confrontation and letting your TFC/Impact/Whitecaps side appearing once in a while but I feel like this forum would be better serve if people would self-moderate a little more for our own good.

End of the rant.

^actually, I thought this thread was a good place for trash talking. Otherwise, the alternative is having every other thread hijacked as was happening for most of March in the TFC forum, which was really annoying.

However, I would've hoped that this would've stayed between TFC and Whitecaps. When TFC plays Impact, then there'll be a thread there for all the Montreal fans to get their licks in.

I think having a thread like this would keep all the crap out of the other threads.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

^actually, I thought this thread was a good place for trash talking. Otherwise, the alternative is having every other thread hijacked as was happening for most of March in the TFC forum, which was really annoying.

However, I would've hoped that this would've stayed between TFC and Whitecaps. When TFC plays Impact, then there'll be a thread there for all the Montreal fans to get their licks in.

I think having a thread like this would keep all the crap out of the other threads.

Agree that this thread has a reason to live (and would be a great place for trashtalk) but after the way it turned out and YNWA post I thought I would make my comment which is more a reflection on what the V's board has become lately more than anything against this thread.

Anyways, good to see that I'm not alone who think it was annoying to see a lot of highjacked threads lately in the TFC, NCC and USL sections.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

A winless streak that is currently at zero.

Never too late to start.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

As a fan, I don't really have any hope. The team is playing very, very poorly right now. Why do you call that sad? It is being realistic. Doesn't meen I am not going to pull for the Whitecaps to pull off an upset.

I know that Zach is making the trip to Toronto. I didn't see any TFC guys make the trip to Vancouver last year. We had asked the club to schedule this game along side a league game in Montreal such that we would be able to take in 2 games in 1 week. That would have helped to justify the large travel costs. Unfortunately, when the schedule was changed due to reasons only known to the CSA, this was no longer possible and my trip got cancelled.

^ Toronto are starting to pull things together and will get another chance to continue building their confidence this afternoon against Columbus. So yeah, me thinks the 'Caps are in for a hard time. If Vancouver come away with a point I'll be surprised. But then again it's not like TFC is scoring goals in bunches these days either and the defense is still something of a question mark. A goalless (or 1-1) draw wouldn't be unwelcome for Vancouver, and not a huge surprise either.

Still, Vancouver are coming to BMO Field at the wrong time.

Oh, and as to the Trash Talking. So far so good. Get it out of your system if you have to but be careful</u>. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU POST. So don't get too carried away by the moment, don't entirely hi-jack the topic, and remember some ammunition is strictly off-limits.

No one go nuclear. Don't take things too seriously and no-one will get hurt.

Playing with a Time Bomb here, I know, but lets see what happens.

*Edit*

<mod>

What the Hell am I thinking? Screw that. Life's too short to baby-sit you lot.

Keep it football people.

Amnesty all around on this one

Cheeta

</mod>

quote:Originally posted by loyola

This forum should be for Canadians soccer fans who want to talk about our MNT/WNT, others leagues and Canadian teams in general. Specially in the NCC, TFC/MLS and USL/MTL/VAN sections, it should be about Canadians fans who wants to discuss those leagues and teams instead of serving as a place where TFC, Impact and Vancouver fans meet to highjack every threads with their trashtalk.

I said it in another thread the Voyageurs forum is now serving as a battle ground for clubs fans around the country. Some very good posters who used to post a lot of interesting stuff here are now posting 90 % of their time about their club or event X that happened in that game in 2008 with the purpose of pissing off the other team fans. Not fun to read.

The purpose of the V's has been for Canadian fans to have a place to discuss the game, not for TFC/MTL/VAN fans to meet up and have their weekly argument...

Again, I have no problem with a little bit of confrontation and letting your TFC/Impact/Whitecaps side appearing once in a while but I feel like this forum would be better serve if people would self-moderate a little more for our own good.

End of the rant.

Give us s full schedule of internationals men's and women's and you will get your forums changing again Loyola, and really the issue is everyone in the Country can surely unite to dislike Toronto ?

I suspect that TFC will play Dichio & Vitti up front. The interesting thing will be to see where DeRo plays. He could replace Barrett up front. Or he might replace Guevara in the mid.

Cummins prefers a 4-3-3 formation. I expect that is what he will use for this match.

Vancouver will almost certainly play Parke, an excellent defender with MLS experience.

quote:Originally posted by Oldtimer

I suspect that TFC will play Dichio & Vitti up front. The interesting thing will be to see where DeRo plays. He could replace Barrett up front. Or he might replace Guevara in the mid.

This is the million dollar question in terms of TFC team selection. In spite of witnessing the mediocrity on display last Saturday afternoon, I can't see TFC making anymore changes than that one, though injuries/fitness concerns may arise. However, you never know what Cummins might have in store.

Archived