De Guzmán Next Year

Guest Jeffery S.

quote:Originally posted by squid2

On Friday past, TFC offered him $10 million. He turned it down without much discussion, let alone any deliberation or reflection.

To him it's not about the money - it's playing at the highest level he can, while he can.

Do you have a link of where you got that info? if so could you post it please?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

10 mil over how many years?

That's the question. Logical would be that over 6 years, at least.

Are we talking Canadian, in current rates?

That would be over a million Euros a years.

Let's just say that I don't think Julian would be making more than half a million euros in any new club in Spain, unless Sevilla renewed their interest or Valencia caught on, and the only way he'd match that TFC "offer", if it is true, is by going to England, even with the pound slipping lately.

^ its not over 6 years. From what I'm hearing through my network of contacts, Squid's details are pretty damn close to being 100% accurate.

By walking away from this, he will be leaving a significant amount of money on the table if he goes back to Spain (unless, as you say, Sevilla is really interested). I'm not sure what Benfica offered but it certainly would be less than TFC's offer.

In today's day and age, where everything in sports seems to be driven by the almighty dollar, I know it seems crazy that a player would walk away from a situation where he would essentially be winning the lottery but this is a player who is more driven by "living out his dreams" than making a lot of money but having regrets about the choice he made. If he signed this deal, there would be no going back to Europe, no chance to ever establish himself firmly as a player who can compete week in week out in one of the best leagues on earth.

To me, this is a refreshing turn of events. The easy thing is to grab the money, make TFC look good for getting a DP and be a hometown hero but the right thing to do from a footballing standpoint is to walk away from that money, latch on with a competitive club where he will have a fair shot to win a spot in the starting XI and continue to grow as a player.

wouldn't that make him the 2nd highest paid player in MLS? He made the right decision as far as our MNT goes but TFC are really using their head. Just by paying a Canadian that much to play for TFC would be big publicity in itself. People who don't watch much would want to know if he was worth it (which wouldn't really matter cause from a business standpoint you all ready won). The american cities would want to know who this Canadian was who commands that kind of pay. It's pretty much a perfect news story with potential for followups.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

wouldn't that make him the 2nd highest paid player in MLS? He made the right decision as far as our MNT goes but TFC are really using their head. Just by paying a Canadian that much to play for TFC would be big publicity in itself. People who don't watch much would want to know if he was worth it (which wouldn't really matter cause from a business standpoint you all ready won). The american cities would want to know who this Canadian was who commands that kind of pay. It's pretty much a perfect news story with potential for followups.

Precisely why I'm glad it looks like its not going to happen.

Glad to see that De Guzman is staying in Europe but also thrilled to see that MLSE is willing to fork out the cash to get a quality player. Hopefully they can snag someone else (preferably Canadian as well, though I doubt it).

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

JDG would tear it up in MLS, but I agree it's better for him and the CMNT that he stay in Europe.

JDG isn't coming home... yet...

Would have thought that having another top player playing in a CONCACAF timezone would be a plus from a CMNT standpoint and at 28 he is as good now as a central midfielder as he is ever likely to be. If the likes of Spurs, Seville and Benfica are in for him it isn't exactly a shock he would stay in Europe (potentially a different story if it were only the likes of Osasuna and Santander) but people should bear in mind that turning down the initial offer to see if more money gets added is a standard negotiating ploy. These things usually drag on until close to the end of the transfer window so the financial terms of the deal that is eventually signed get maximized.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm hearing that TFC have not given up on trying to snag JDG.

Funny that, I thought Mo hated Canadians.

He did, until he realized he couldn't operate an Canadian MLS team without them! Something most people running a Canadian MLS team wouldn't have taken a year to figure out.

Guest Jeffery S.

No news in the last week in the press on Julian and possible transfers.

But in fact the market is fairly quiet in Spain, I think clubs want to go slowly and also let the market calm down after the distortion of the Real Madrid payments for Kaká and Ronaldo. Let the agents get some perspective and reduce their demands before talking to them.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

He did, until he realized he couldn't operate an Canadian MLS team without them! Something most people running a Canadian MLS team wouldn't have taken a year to figure out.

If that were true, why were there more Canadians on TFC in year one than now?

The fact of the matter is that the amount of MLS-quality Canadians who are available and willing to play for TFC is far smaller than any of us originally thought.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The fact of the matter is that the amount of MLS-quality Canadians who are available and willing to play for TFC is far smaller than any of us originally thought.

At the risk of going off-topic here, I fucking hate hearing this excuse.

If you had said "...that the amount of Canadians who would star</u> in MLS and are available and willing to play for TFC..." I would agree with you. However, I think a number of the Canadians that have passed through the TFC revolving door would be very adequate depth players and sometime starters in MLS, even a number of those that played the first year.

In a league like MLS, having a strong bench is very important, you can't just spend all the money on your starting eleven. Rather than having kids on the bench to make up the numbers, there should be guys that can come in and do a job and push the starters so that they don't feel so comfortable in their position. I think you'll find a number of the Canadians that have come and gone for TFC would've filled those roles quite adequately, let alone those that have been let go that I think could start on a semi-regular basis.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

The truth hurts sometimes. All Rudi maybe should have made more explicit is that the salary expectations of some of the Canadian players that could potentially provide depth are not easily accomodated within the MLS salary cap structure.

^ There are more factors than simply money (although money is a big factor) that keeps some Canadian players away from TFC/MLS.

The biggest I consistently hear from players revolves around the league owning their contract and what that means in terms of being moved to other cities. Also, there is some belief that guaranteed contracts in MLS don't carry the same weight that they do over in Europe (I've heard that from a couple of agents).

I don't necessarily know how real those concerns are but that is some of the scuttlebutt I hear from time to time.

At the end of the day, this league is seen as either a) a retirement league for 30+ players who don't want the pressure of Europe/South America anymore or B) a stepping stone league for young players who might be looking to make the jump to Europe (or, in some cases, the jump BACK to Europe).

BTW, I hear TFC is planning some sort of announcement late next week. No details at all but I'm putting it out there (slow news day...LOL). In fact, it might just be BS but the source of the info has been right about pretty much everything else the last 6-8 months. If there is an announcement next week, i'm almost certain its not going to be an announcement of JDG to TFC.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

If you had said "...that the amount of Canadians who would star</u> in MLS and are available and willing to play for TFC..." I would agree with you. However, I think a number of the Canadians that have passed through the TFC revolving door would be very adequate depth players and sometime starters in MLS, even a number of those that played the first year.

Exactly. Mo has done better this year, but he has wasted many reasonable Canadians that, while not world beaters, could have played a role for this team. Not everyone has to be a DeRo, or a Brennan, or even a Gerba.

I've already posted about this issue a few months ago but I'm wondering who are the Canadians who were good enough for MLS but weren't given a fair chance by TFC? I can't name one Canadian player who played at TFC who really made a case for himself elsewhere...not even Pozniak.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Absurd stuff. Do you really expect to be taken seriously with that?

No more or less seriously than the resident Vees TFC cheerleading squad.

I'm no TFC hater, I support the team, but the constant defense of any TFC criticism is compeltley juvenile. You're right that the truth hurts, and this shows that every time it's brought up, it still stings. There's a reason for that.

PS - Nothing personal Rudi, just strongly disgaree with you on this topic.

Archived