Impact vs Santos - the sequel

I stayed up until 2am last night to watch the game on CBC. Amazing game, amazing result.

But with the rampant excitement surging through these forums, I think it should be pointed out that the job is not yet done. Taking a 2-nil lead to Mexico is fantastic, and we really couldn’t ask for more going into the 2nd leg, but there is still a lot of work to do if the Impact are to continue this fantastic surge.

I think the biggest positive was that we didn’t concede an away goal - this could prove to be a crucial factor in deciding this series. Mexico had a couple of chances last night that could have made the game 2-1 or even 2-2. But their finishing wasn’t clinical - if it was this morning’s headlines would be quite different, as would our prospect of advancing.

Despite last night’s performance, the reality is that Santos did not field their strongest team, and were playing away in pretty hostile conditions (crowd and temperature). Now that they are facing elimination, I think they will field their strongest team on March 5th, and will have the support of what will probably be a pretty rabid Mexican crowd. Maybe it is my ingrained caution as a jaded Canadian soccer fan, but I am approaching the 2nd leg with some degree of apprehension despite last night’s great game. Lets just hope that the Impact can bag an away goal in Mexico - Santos would then need to put 4 past Matt Jordan, and that would be a huge ask of any team.

Go Impact!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You always worry about the players wilting in the heat but how warm is it down there these days anyway? Mid 20s? No idea.

Santos aren't exactly tearing up the league and they are on a tight bit of their schedule so we'll see how much more they can bring to next week's match. I know the Impact will be stronger, how much so is impossible to say but I hope it's enough.

Was impressed with Montreal's stamina yesterday. The legs held out pretty good.

"The Impact took advantage of our mistakes and we weren't alert enough," Santos coach Daniel Guzman told reporters through a translator.

"But we will learn from this. I have no doubt we will make it up in the return leg."

Boy, have we heard that before.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

"But we will learn from this. I have no doubt we will make it up in the return leg."

SVG coach after loosing the first leg against Canada?

Seriously, it would be nice if MTL could score a goal in Mexico, Santos would need 4 to get through.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

SVG coach after loosing the first leg against Canada?

Seriously, it would be nice if MTL could score a goal in Mexico, Santos would need 4 to get through.

He was probably referring to the first game between Montreal and Joe Public. JP's coach claimed they would win the game in Trinidad 4-0.

quote:Originally posted by footballfreak

He was probably referring to the first game between Montreal and Joe Public. JP's coach claimed they would win the game in Trinidad 4-0.

Still, it will be a much more difficult test. They took us lightly, couldn't dress all their starters, and were ignorant of our playing style and quality. Now they will be back on grass, fired up by local fans, and smarting from last night's HUMILIATION :) Still, the Impact do not concede 3 goals lightly, and could easily pot one down there as Santos will be trying to press hard. Fearless prediction: Santos will not score 4 goals if we get 1.

Santos come out flying with a full squad firing on all cylinders but are frustrated repeatedly by Jordan. First half ends 0-0. Pushing forward in the second half Santos gets burned on the counter by Eddie and Montreal take a 1-0 lead. Santos stage a furious assault but only manage to get 1 past Jordan. Game ends 1-1 and Montreal moves on!

quote:Originally posted by dyslexic nam

I stayed up until 2am last night to watch the game on CBC. Amazing game, amazing result.

But with the rampant excitement surging through these forums, I think it should be pointed out that the job is not yet done. Taking a 2-nil lead to Mexico is fantastic, and we really couldn’t ask for more going into the 2nd leg, but there is still a lot of work to do if the Impact are to continue this fantastic surge.

I think the biggest positive was that we didn’t concede an away goal - this could prove to be a crucial factor in deciding this series. Mexico had a couple of chances last night that could have made the game 2-1 or even 2-2. But their finishing wasn’t clinical - if it was this morning’s headlines would be quite different, as would our prospect of advancing.

Despite last night’s performance, the reality is that Santos did not field their strongest team, and were playing away in pretty hostile conditions (crowd and temperature). Now that they are facing elimination, I think they will field their strongest team on March 5th, and will have the support of what will probably be a pretty rabid Mexican crowd. Maybe it is my ingrained caution as a jaded Canadian soccer fan, but I am approaching the 2nd leg with some degree of apprehension despite last night’s great game. Lets just hope that the Impact can bag an away goal in Mexico - Santos would then need to put 4 past Matt Jordan, and that would be a huge ask of any team.

Go Impact!

The Reality is that Santos had Christian Benitez Last years MVP in their Line up (back from Injury). This is pretty much the same line up that faced Guadalajara last Sunday. If anything this Line up was stronger then the one Santos used to defeat Guadalajara.

See for Yourself;

Sunday February 22 vs Guadalajara

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=259344&cc=5901

Wednesday February 25 vs Impact;

http://www.montrealimpact.com/Tracker/Tracker.aspx?GameID=167&language=EN

PS We played the game without Stefano Pesoli (injured). Are you sure your not a closet fan of both MLS and that two bit operation known as TFC? cause you sure seem to be finding excuses as to why Montreal won.

Montreal outplayed Santos, simple as that. If Santos did not scout Montreal, did not know anything about them and did not start their strongest team (because their subs were regulars), then that's their problem. You can't blame Montreal for being well prepared and playing a good game.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Montreal outplayed Santos, simple as that. If Santos did not scout Montreal, did not know anything about them and did not start their strongest team (because their subs were regulars), then that's their problem. You can't blame Montreal for being well prepared and playing a good game.

I would ad that guys wanted it more. Santos were much less rusty for stretches, but simply weren't as hungry. For me that was the difference.

Hello everyone from Torreón, Coahuila, México. I'm writting this in english because my french writting is not the best. First of all FELICIDADES(cograts) for the 2-0 win lastnight. I'm personal happy for knowing the football passion is taking over canadians houses and families. Recently I watch a documentary of football in Montréal and I once met a guy from Haîti that played in an Quebec amateur ligue and I can only feel glad for that beautiful city, province from a role model country like Canada is. We watched the game here in my house my dad and me and we were totally dissapointed. Santos-Laguna is in problems since they lifted up the champions trophy and there are eventually inerproblems and everyone's talking about a split between star players and also all the fans(the majority in the northside of the country) want couch Daniel Guzman out of the team because of his no sense moves and lineups during and between games, similar to what he just did last night plus keeping friend players and being part of the final desition of closing relation with former Santos-Laguna's emblematic players before. Enjoy this time and feel free of fully dreaming with next round cuz even when SantosLaguna's stadium is the thoughest and hardest custum in mexican "1ra división" next week match might be face by MTL within the climax of an internal crisis of a team that used to play the best offensive of the last years and broke the records of points within a football year in México but that is about to pay elimination for no humbleness in their work. Sincerely, I wish the best for L'impact and wish you a great trip and a nice time in this country for the ones making the trip as well. If there's anything else I could help you with feel free to send a IM or PM in here. Salut.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

You always worry about the players wilting in the heat but how warm is it down there these days anyway? Mid 20s? No idea.

Santos aren't exactly tearing up the league and they are on a tight bit of their schedule so we'll see how much more they can bring to next week's match. I know the Impact will be stronger, how much so is impossible to say but I hope it's enough.

Was impressed with Montreal's stamina yesterday. The legs held out pretty good.

"The Impact took advantage of our mistakes and we weren't alert enough," Santos coach Daniel Guzman told reporters through a translator.

Ok so I know its a few countries away, however I'm currently on the west coast of Costa Rica and it is freakin hot here. I'm staying on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean and around 2PM its 39 degrees in the shade. The Impact will be in tough. Having said that - what a fantastic result. Each round they have amazed me and I hope they keep it going. I've said it before in jest - however Limniatis is coaching this team exactly as I'd have liked to have seen Mitchell coach the nats in the WCQ round. Brilliant.

Hello here. Is this not-so-polite maner of not answering or replying to a single hello from an individual not canadian a canadian tradition or happens just in this forum/site? I've reading some of people comments here and seem to be very respectful and easygoing so now I'm impressed cuz I don't think my comment went invisable mode or something.

PS1. Heat in Torreón is the less humid you can find in north america, its a major city in the middle of a desert so heat is guaranteed since yesterday was the worse from a nice 70's week to melting 92°F and for March 5th is around 100°F or 37°C and of course, sunny.

PS2. AS Roma I recall played in the Corona Stadium in march with Totti in the field and had to be removed same as other players and let Roma easily lost the game 3-0. Of course that was another Santos-Laguna with Jared Borgetti but the sun stills the same.

PS3. Mr. Carlos Fernández, CEO of Grupo Modelo brewing, owner of Santos-Laguna had a serious inclosed talk with the team in Mexico City order to make situation better and retake the half ticket to the clubs world cup they're currently missing after the national press said this was the most ridiculous lost in mexican clubs history, wich I think is totally exagerated.

coronaestadiowebsitelar.jpg

Thank you CanadianSoccerFan. You are right about extreme pressure and not so about the national press but local, where no one left wants the coach and are really mad, this is not just because of this last game lost in Canada but for being the third game lost outside the Estadio Corona, 0-3 in Bayamón, Puerto Rico and 0-2 with Panama's Tauro were enough of shame on them so they had a similar talk before last game of regular group fase or 1st round in Guatemala and started scoring even in four times but also received four so what Impact should do is to score and play not so hard because the Corona Stadium is known to put so much pressure on refs so penalties and red cards will easily appear because is how it goes in CONCACAF where they ref on how the local team likes to play and mexicans act fouls and stuff specially the southamerican star players, all the time trying to be untouchables different than americans or now I see, canadians that play more like europeans so they need to focus on not doing it that way but score because if they don't and if Santos-Laguna remembers how to make goals a 2-0 is nothing in a field used to start series 0-2 or even 0-3.

15hpim1159vx4.jpg

Here they needed two goal and made four and kicked out America

since Torreón's team is never a great visitor through history. I don't know if the 18k stadium will be full really, cuz there is a lot of dissapointment around and different than Copa Libertadores I cant remember of a full stadium for an international game but full is not the clue here, cuz it can be full but people would be just in expectation(as Im sure they'd be next week) and not making so much pressure as they amazingly did against Pumas UNAM in a local semifinal. In México, it seems we are more interested in...

finalisimaambientelarge.jpg

National league achievements than any other thing.

Hi Jeffrey, thanx and yeah, the worse moment in a long time and sorry but I didn't get wich team you think is the less experienced and in the case of Santos Laguna, they defeated River Plate in the Monumental of Buenos Aires, Argentina in 2004 and surprised Brasil's and Rivaldo's Cruzeiro when they broke all record in the Rio League infront of 70k "torcedores" but as you just said it, Mexico is not doing well againts USA and it seems the problem can extend to Canada too so Impact should play strong but on time cuz any "impact" off time on a mexican player will be automatically a colored card so I think MTL must look forward a corner kick hitting the ball in the air because they are way taller and heavier.

They maybe will make the turf wet enough during the day to work it out hotter and mantain the heat inside but anyway it will be around 90°F.

carrodeguerreritas2smal.jpg

GREETINGS FROM LA LAGUNA.

Guest Jeffery S.

So is that hot and dry by day and a bit cooler by night?

The report is interesting, but it sounds like the team is not exactly in a moment of calm. That might work in Impact's favour, and the team is not used to playing major international matches, it is not like it is that experienced. If Impact counter the Santos anxiety it looks like they might get a goal on the counter.

To add, I read reports in the Mexican press that were titled "Santos bites the dust" and the like, it was taken as a major defeat and a lot of fans came on the forums to complain about how badly their teams fare away from Mexico and especially north of the border, in the States and Canada. Even non Santos fans thought it reflected badly on the league, which they generally consider to be the 10th strongest in the world.

Mr. Impact - yes I am a TFC fan. Not in the closet, and not ashamed to admit it. I am even (gasp) an MLS fan because I believe that it has the best chance of eventually growing into a great North American league. But I am also an Impact fan - and not just after their crowning as Canadian champs. They play a pretty fluid form of attacking footie, and I think they are the best choice for the next round of MLS expansion among all suitors (I still consider them to be in the running). But first and foremost I am a fan of Canadian soccer, and that kit comes in many colours.

In starting this thread, my point was simply that the job is only half done, and that the Impact need to be extremely wary of what they will face in Mexico. I think Mexico (just kidding - Santos) will come out with all guns blazing, and we will be pressed from the opening whistle. The crowd will be behind them, and it will be tough not to wilt under the pressure and humidity. But I hope they will succeed, and I expect them to win. I just thought I'd get the ball rolling with a discussion of what they will face.

Oh, and I wanted to start my very own thread without getting shat upon like Spiral...

Cheers from PEI

You're input is interesting and appreciated Leon. I think you're right when you say we have to exploit our size advantage with the two big strikers that we have, they definitely caused havoc on your CBs despite the obvious individual skill advantage of the Mexican based players. Is funny for us because normally we don't/can't rely only on that play, as other North American opponents typically have very large, tough CBs and also are less difficult to penetrate on the ground. I feel confident we can get one goal in Torreon, thus giving Santos the very difficult task of getting 4 past our very organized Italian defense. Good luck!

Totally agree with you Keano. How are you doing man? Good morning to all canadian soccer fans. In exactly 7 days we'll been talking about the sencod half of this 180 minute game where Impact is clearly doing things better. I will be giving basic information from here to that date and I hope you find it interested, at least entertained so I started here:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=18766#256375

Where Impact is gonna try to make their work done.

Buen día.

quote:Originally posted by Leon_Araiza

Totally agree with you Keano. How are you doing man? Good morning to all canadian soccer fans. In exactly 7 days we'll been talking about the sencod half of this 180 minute game where Impact is clearly doing things better. I will be giving basic information from here to that date and I hope you find it interested, at least entertained so I started here:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=18766#256375

Buen día.

Cheers man

quote:Originally posted by Leon_Araiza

Buen día.

Thanks for the pics you posted!!

Archived