Impact vs Santos - the sequel

Guest Jeffery S.

First 20-30 minutes are key, as are the final minutes of the first half. Impact have to remember that even 3-0 down a goal puts them through, meaning even a disastrous game, 3-0 in the final minutes, could put them through if they can score that one time. It is almost better to put it away late like that, as the locals won't have time to react.

The whole time Santos Laguna are down and are trying to attack Impact has a great chance to counter. And the longer Santos are in need, the more anxious they get, the more the fans get nervous, the better for an Impact counter.

Montreal has to look as well for those free kicks and corners, as set pieces take up time, calm the nerves, and will make them shaky, especially after the high ball they blew on the second Impact goal.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Montreal has to look as well for those free kicks and corners, as set pieces take up time, calm the nerves, and will make them shaky, especially after the high ball they blew on the second Impact goal.

Set piece organization will be key, for sure. However, I still have a sense of foreboding regarding a dubious penalty. That's why I was wondering who'll be blowing the whistle for the match. Regardless,(WARNING: Cliche Alert!) the Impact players need to concentrate on their own duties and their collective poise to get the result needed and the job done.

I have to agree with Jeffrey about the importance of the first portion of the game. I would even go so far as to say that if they don't manage to put one past Jordan in the first 15 to 20 minutes, we should be through to the next round. If there are no goals by the 20 minute mark, they will start pushing forward more and more, and that might allow us to get the crippling away goal with a fast break. But if they get a goal within the first 20 minutes I gotta say that I don't like our chances. With the crowd behind them, and only needing one more goal to go to extra time, they wouldn't have to push forward as much, and could play a more controlled game. So here's my predictions:

- if we get an away goal it is over, monteal through to the next round regardless of what else happens

- if they get a goal within the first 20 minutes, we are done

- if we can repel them for 20 minutes, we go through

And anyone who thinks this isn't going to be hard as hell should pay attention to Houston's latest result - dumped out of the competition by a strong Mexican side in front of a home crowd. MI will face exactly the same situation. The kicker is that if we do make it through, we face Atlante after they thrashed Houston. This is one tough competition.

I look forward to the rematch against Atlante. They did not show up in Montreal, and hell the Impact should have killed them, but just didn't get the crucial goal. In Mexico, it seemed as if Atlante were playing with the Impact, daring them to get the tying goal (especially the keeper, whatever the hell his name is again).

This is all said in confidence that Montreal will be moving through to the next round. I hope I don't end up looking like an idiot after tomorrow night...

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I look forward to the rematch against Atlante. They did not show up in Montreal, and hell the Impact should have killed them, but just didn't get the crucial goal. In Mexico, it seemed as if Atlante were playing with the Impact, daring them to get the tying goal (especially the keeper, whatever the hell his name is again).

This is all said in confidence that Montreal will be moving through to the next round. I hope I don't end up looking like an idiot after tomorrow night...

Eeeeek! That is really bad karma man! Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch. hehe

The nerves are beginning to build up. PLaying in Santos will be a big test for our boys. Can they do it yes... However with a grass pitch and home crowd behind them its not out of Santos' range to pull off a 3-0 win. Montreal has been through too much though and I can't see them going out like this, one more very solid defensive effort has to come out of the Impact.

Santos has scored 5 goals at home this season in 4 but with a very respectable 2-1-1 record at home this season nothing can be taken for granted. Heck Atlante had scored just 3 goals at home in 3 matches and look what happened vs Houston. Is a similar collapse in store? I don't picture JL allowing his team to enter the match loose, they know what at risk here.

My prediction: no prediction[8]

On a positive note the Impact are the main story on rds.ca this morning and RDS will be doing live updates on their site after every goal and at half time, similar to what they do for Habs games. All eyes in Montreal are on the Impact

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/270534.html

Roberto Moreno

While this guy seems to have good creds (ref’d in Beijing Olympics), he has also exerted an undo amount of influence on some important games involving Mexican sides and MLS opponents. Hopefully this doesn’t extend to USL sides...

Houston Dynamo and CF Pachuca - SuperLiga semifinal

“...in the 13th minute, Dynamo went a man down when referee Roberto Moreno showed a red card to Dynamo defender Patrick Ianni for pulling Christian Gimenez down just outside the box.”

Result - Pachuca win

DC United vs. Cruz Azul - CONCACAF Champions League

“... in the 30th minute, while expeditiously moving the ball from one side of the line to the other on a goal kick, Thorpe received his second yellow from Roberto Moreno and was ejected from the game.”

“Thorpe's replacement, Louis Crayton, was also ejected, forcing midfielder Quavas Kirk to man the net for the final few minutes. “

Result - Cruz Azul win

With a vocal Mexican crowd urging him on, I just hope this guy doesn’t get trigger happy.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/03/03/live-blog-impact-santos.html

Follow all the action of Thursday's CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final match-up between the Montreal Impact and Mexico's Santos Laguna on CBCSports.ca's live game blog.

Starting at 9 p.m. ET, join the live discussion below and submit your comments. CBC Sports soccer commentator Nigel Reed will stop by to chat before kickoff, and Jason de Vos will be online after the game, so be sure to submit your questions once the chat starts.

You can watch the game live on Bold (CBC's digital channel) and CBCSports.ca at 10 p.m. ET. The game will also be replayed on the main CBC network at midnight local time.

Anyone else nervous? The odds of the Impact getting one and putting it out of reach are reasonable. As are the odds of Santos only getting 1. However the odds of Santos winning 2-0 and taking it to penalties are also reasonable.

Atlante destroyed Houston in Mexico. An away result will be very difficult for the Impact but their defence and goal keeping has been solid throughout the tournament. Will definitely be a nail-biter.

First off, as a Puerto Rico Islanders fan, I want to greet all of the supporters of our USL1 rivals, the Montreal Impact. It is nice to see our rivalry suspended in order to wish each other on (when the season starts, we can return to our normal "hatred" and anomosity).

We congratulate you. You guys have done the USL proud. Daniel, Francois, all of you guys should be very proud. You have showcased our league and your quality. Well Done!!!

Your guys played brilliantly against Santos in your home leg. Their task tonight is a daunting one but they are capable. The officiating may be a bit "harsh" towards your side (as it was when Puerto Rico travelled there last fall). They cannot allow themselves to be intimidated by being in the Lions' Den.

Your supporters--they are way braver than I am and our supporters are. I can't recall any Islanders supporters travelling to Mexico when we played Santos. Having been to Mexican League play at Azteca before, I know that I don't have to heart/desire to support any visiting side down there. Props to your travellers. They have more stones than I do. I wish them a very safe trip. From what members of the Islanders delegation told me, that place is a caldron. I am hoping that your supporters will be offered support by the local law enforcement (both inside and outside of the stadium. If you get a good result, they are going to need it.

Again, good luck. Many of the US soccer fans who follow the tournament have "adopted" your club (just very few of them at MLS HQ). A lot of people in a lot of countries want to see your boys finish your mission.

GO IMPACT, GO!!!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Atlante destroyed Houston in Mexico. An away result will be very difficult for the Impact but their defence and goal keeping has been solid throughout the tournament. Will definitely be a nail-biter.

Atlante is better than Santos and we held them, although missing about 4 of their starters at the time. Still, Santos broke us down a few times at the Big O. I have to go take a crap now.

quote:Originally posted by yankiboy

First off, as a Puerto Rico Islanders fan, I want to greet all of the supporters of our USL1 rivals, the Montreal Impact. It is nice to see our rivalry suspended in order to wish each other on (when the season starts, we can return to our normal "hatred" and anomosity).

We congratulate you. You guys have done the USL proud. Daniel, Francois, all of you guys should be very proud. You have showcased our league and your quality. Well Done!!!

Your guys played brilliantly against Santos in your home leg. Their task tonight is a daunting one but they are capable. The officiating may be a bit "harsh" towards your side (as it was when Puerto Rico travelled there last fall). They cannot allow themselves to be intimidated by being in the Lions' Den.

Your supporters--they are way braver than I am and our supporters are. I can't recall any Islanders supporters travelling to Mexico when we played Santos. Having been to Mexican League play at Azteca before, I know that I don't have to heart/desire to support any visiting side down there. Props to your travellers. They have more stones than I do. I wish them a very safe trip. From what members of the Islanders delegation told me, that place is a caldron. I am hoping that your supporters will be offered support by the local law enforcement (both inside and outside of the stadium. If you get a good result, they are going to need it.

Again, good luck. Many of the US soccer fans who follow the tournament have "adopted" your club (just very few of them at MLS HQ). A lot of people in a lot of countries want to see your boys finish your mission.

GO IMPACT, GO!!!

Thanks for the kind words, and good luck to PR!

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Leon, what's the vibe down there?

Hello everybody! Hey VIC, How are you? the vibe is awesome here man, at least that's how I feel it, I'm excited about Montreal and Canada, believe me or not since I was a kid I have had an interest of all north american having a real interest for original real football and their play level to be same as México and together growing up to top Europe someday and bring the best football of the planet to this side sharing it with Copa Libertadores and all the good stuff from southamerica. Anyway, I feel that dream is already started even when I know is kinda hard to make it come true well, nowadays a canadian team is surprising the third best team in "Torneos Cortos"(mexican new competition format) and US beats Mexico in their territory and maybe someday they will not receive so many goal at the Azteca Stadium so yeah, CONCACAF is growing and I'm sure some real big companies will invest in our leagues and players.

All you've saying is right, congrats, you really think football, so refs in CONCACAF will always be the local side same as they were in Montreal since mexicans players were expecting any hard contact as a foul they got non but today's gonna change and if Impact plays hard they'll get a red card and 5 yellows and your coach watching it from the outside of the pitch for the last 45 crucial minutes. The best way for Impact to win the serie is to score first in the air, going up using the head where your players are the best. Santos Laguna will play the ball down and fast trying to invite physical contact and any penalties or fouls near Jordan where offender number ten, Daniel "Hachita" Ludueña is the best shooter in México and for that just received an award.

hachitaelmejorbanner.jpg

So good luck Montreal. Here you have pics of your "muchachos"(guys). See ya.

llegaimpactenbuscadesup.jpg

Llega Impact en busca de su pase a semifinales.

Impact arrives looking forward their pass to semifinals.

conunatemperaturasuperi.jpg

Con una temperatura superior a 30 grados centígrados, el Impact de Montreal cerró en el Estadio Corona, su preparación para visitar al Santos Laguna.

With a temperature superior to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, Montreal Impact closed in the Corona Stadium, their preparation for visiting Santos Laguna.

losjugadoresdelimpactde.jpg

Los jugadores del Impact de Montreal resintieron ayer el calor de la Comarca.

Montreal Impact players felt strongly the Comarca's heat yesterday.

elguardametamattjordanen.jpg

El guardameta Matt Jordan en Santa Rita está consciente de que le espera mucho trabajo mañana jueves.

Goalkeeper Matt Jordan in Santa Rita is self conscious of all the work is awaiting for him this next thursday.

eldelanteroeduardosebra.jpg

El delantero Eduardo Sebrango, fue captado cuando se refrescaba al término del entrenamiento de ayer en Santa Rita.

Forward Eduardo Sebrango, captured when he was refreshing himself at the end of yerterday's training in Santa Rita.

2991677627bf14062c09o.jpg

And at the desert, when the nigh has come...

Impact or die.

impactaromorirsantosbus.jpg

Impactar o Morir.

We bought our tickets earlier today and will be in the guest block. We should be able to hang our banners on the fence so watch for them on tv. We will be meeting the Impact at their hotel and will travel to the stadium with them. Santos management has been very good and helpful with us. We saw 2 reports on the game in Montreal on tv today with lots of footage of Ultras Montreal. Gametime is getting close and we are pretty excited!

Archived