Seems Brennan is not alone

An Observer

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I could make a similar analogy with bad and very influencable workers, not ready or motivate to work who are working for a bad boss...your analogy was poor and didn't help your point at all.

It does if you can let yourself understand what a piss-poor organization the CSA is. I didn't see any post by you in the pro category when someone asked about the good and bad of the CSA. So please, enlighten me, what makes them a good boss. They players employability speaks for itself. I'll wait...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Paddy

It does if you can let yourself understand what a piss-poor organization the CSA is. I didn't see any post by you in the pro category when someone asked about the good and bad of the CSA. So please, enlighten me, what makes them a good boss. They players employability speaks for itself. I'll wait...

Read what I wrote! I'm implying the CSA is indeed a bad boss but with not so good worker either....

I've said it enough time that the CSA screwed up with DM hiring and other issues I don't think I need to start over again. My point is the players should also be held accountable which is far from meaning that the CSA and DM shouldn't.

Shame on you Dwayne. This is a classless move by someone who isn't even playing in the biggest game of the campaign. It's so easy for him to sit back, after three no shows, and now to complain at this point?

Am I the only one who is angry at him and Brennan for quitting on us? With these comments he has quit in the attempt, despite the fact that winning against Honduras would put us right back in the hunt.

What an idiot. As much as I disapprove of Dale Mitchell, he's the coach, and the players need to go to war for him, and then do their chirping after!

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Shame on you Dwayne. This is a classless move by someone who isn't even playing in the biggest game of the campaign. It's so easy for him to sit back, after three no shows, and now to complain at this point?

Am I the only one who is angry at him and Brennan for quitting on us? With these comments he has quit in the attempt, despite the fact that winning against Honduras would put us right back in the hunt.

What an idiot. As much as I disapprove of Dale Mitchell, he's the coach, and the players need to go to war for him, and then do their chirping after!

you're an idiot, and Brennan didnt quit he made a statement and DeRo is backing him up. Its people like you that give the CSA leverage

quote:Originally posted by RJB

He didn't quit you MORON!!! he wasn't selected.

No one here wanted Dale Mitchel hired. You guys wore your black anti-CSA shirts to a match in protest of the CSA. And the players backed you guys. Now when the players speak up, you guys don't back them. Are you F**kin kidding me. You guys have been saying the same sh*t on these boards for months. And when the players say it, it's all of a sudden wrong timing? When is the right time to speak? When we are eliminated? When its too late to make change? When we keep allowing the CSA to get away with the same bulls**t, over and over again? The players never wanted him to be the coach, and thats still the case.

If Our top players say they won't play for Canada anymore, till there is change. Is that wrong? The only one's I see being baby's here, are you guys. Talk about a losing mentallity. Should they perhaps wait till we are out to say something like cowards, when it's too late and doesn't matter anymore. If you have ever been down to a game, you'd notice that Stephen Hart cares more about this team more then Mitchell.

Go ahead guys keep bashing our players. Then right before the goal cup. Everyone jump on the boards and complain about the lack of friendly's we have to prepare. Or the large numbers of away fans showing up to our home games.

How do you play a home game against Jamaica and Hondouras, and start only one forward? Are we playing for ties at home? How do you have Hume prepare with the starters for the whole week then 5min before the game in Montreal, put him on the bench to start Bernier(a defence minded player-credible inside info)? Baffling to me.

Keep complaining behind your computer girls. We needed change a long time ago. I want the players to speak up each and everytime we play, until there is change. Good on you guys. I wish the other players had some balls and spoke thier minds as well.

quote:Originally posted by golden

No one here wanted Dale Mitchel hired. You guys wore your black anti-CSA shirts to a match in protest of the CSA. And the players backed you guys. Now when the players speak up, you guys don't back them. Are you F**kin kidding me. You guys have been saying the same sh*t on these boards for months. And when the players say it, it's all of a sudden wrong timing? When is the right time to speak? When we are eliminated? When its too late to make change?

The comments were made when it was too late to make change. That was the point that's been made right from the start.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

He didn't quit you MORON!!! he wasn't selected.

He did quit. He might have been selected for game 6 but quit after not being selected for game 4 and 5. Then he did his best to sabotage the team that he wasn't selected for.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

No surprise, but I back the players and I think the timing is irrelevant.

Now, for all you people who want to whine about the players, what are you doing? What makes you so special? Are you sacrificing anything for Canada, seeing as you want to be all nationalistic about the players. Do you ever do anything that could adversely affect your job or family life for something as simple as a game? No, didn't think so, so drop the ultra nationalistic garbage. The players aren't playing for a paycheck or fame, so why do you think they are coming? Just to jog around the field? They are coming to play for Canada, so give it a rest.

Pretty ironic comments considering a day later Paddy left the Voyaguers. Yeah he sure supported the players and made sacrifices for the team. Paddy, DeRo, Brennan, what is that saying about birds of a feather?

I'm conflicted how I feel on this one.

1) I appreciate the players have an opinion, they should express it fully aware of the consequences (Brennan couldn't expect to be selected later by Mitchell after his comments and so took himself out of contention)

2) I found Brennan's comments more selfish, and coming from not being selected than from stiring real change. That's just how they struck me. Other's have seen it other ways, and I don't know JB so making judgements on his motivations isn't easy.

3) De Ro's comments are not constructive, but they also simply ask a question 'why did someone who recently failed at one level get a promotion.' IMO DeRo made his comments to support Brennan's which weren't widely accepted as more than sour grapes. DeRo just made it clearer that this sentiment comes from other senior players too.

4) The timing does bother me. It strikes me as putting the focus off the important game ahead. I've been wondering if any of that could affect the team on the day, or if the reverse was true and in someways DeRo and Brennan were trying to take pressure off the players, put the focus somewhere else consiously. I'm doubtful that was their intention but I was thinking about it.

5) In the end the comments didn't seem to overtly change the game. The same problems of individual mistakes, misfortune, poor organization, some poor performances, questionable tatics and selections combined in various ways.

Anyway I'm sure that this campaign is so disappointing because we'd seen really attractive ball played just over a year ago by these same players against similar opposition. Wish I had the answers...

I must agree with golden. All this talk about bad timing and waiting until we're oficially eliminated is rubbish. We were never going to qualify...ever...and any hopes and optimism were severly misplaced. Any faint hopes died in Montreal (the first Honduras home game) so the timing of these statements is meaningless as they did not sabotage any magical comeback.

All that notwithstanding...I think it's important to stand behind DDR, JB et al and not allow the CSA to spin the story into a player failing and deflect criticism which should be coming their way. Support them, add your voices to theirs and maybe people will hear it and change will occur. Shoot them down, criticize their timing and your reasons for doing so will become drowned out by the fact that you did. You have 4 years to get it right...get on with it.

^I agree with that. I think we all knew after Honduras something was very wrong in the locker room. The sad truth is there's nothing the players will come out and say we don't already know. Mitchell was a bad appointment and turned the team in the wrong direction after Gold Cup. That Gold Cup team was inspired, the team that followed was absolutely not. We will never reach the World Cup with the CSA, ever. They have proved this so many times now that believing otherwise is insanity. This was our golden generation, look what they did.

I would just like to add my 100% backing of the players

The more they speak the better, I don't care what time it is 1 o'clock 2 o'clock 3 o'clock

Monday, Tuesday game 1 game 3 game 6 who really cares

This is what has been needed for a long time, I hope they all boycott

As much as this is gut wrenching that we are out of qualifying, I was even more disappointed the day I heard that the CSA clowns hired Mitchell. I don’t entirely blame Mitchell, he never had a chance he was never qualified for this type of work and failure was imminent.

Although I put it aside and cheered and hoped for victory, deep down inside I couldn’t picture us at the world stage lead by Mitchell, and most of all the CSA in its current form.

With the players speaking out and getting some media attention, it has done more good then harm to the team. I think it is more courageous then cowardly and more selfless then selfish.

At what point do we hold the players responsible for their poor perfomance? I don't pretend to know all the problems with the structure and dealings of the CSA, or their hiring practices, and I don't necessarily think that DM was the right guy for the job.

But the players didn't want to play for Osieck, they didn't want to play for Yallop, and now they don't want to play for Mitchell? Suck it up! Brennan and DeRo came out firing at the coach and at the CSA, but niether one of them took any responsiblity for their own performance on the pitch. At the end of the day, it's the eleven players on the pitch that win our lose the game.

The only player that has taken any responsibility for this debacle was Onstad, and he received a collective loaf from the Canadian supporters in Toronto and on this board (not to single you guys out). I won't have an ounce of respect for what the players say until they recognize their own role in this mess.

That's my rant.

quote:Originally posted by mcaout

Anyway I'm sure that this campaign is so disappointing because we'd seen really attractive ball played just over a year ago by these same players against similar opposition. Wish I had the answers...

Don't we all. I agree with most of your points. I think it will take a player boycott to change (ie get rid of or seriously reform) the CSA. After the Jamaica game I hope they get together and publicly state that they will play for Canada but NOT the CSA. If the CSA is in charge then no is the answer.

If the majority of the top 30-50 players come out with a public statement to that effect it would get change. We will have 18 months with nothing to lose anyway, we will miss one Gold Cup. The timing is right. A short term challenge to the CSA's authority. I can live with us not going or sending a B/C team to the Gold Cup but I can't stand any more of these WCQ series under the CSA's "leadership".

quote:Originally posted by kungfucultmaster

Apparantly Hume has refused to play for Mitchell again.

That's the word on the street.

Win or lose, no one can say that following the CMNT is dull.[8D] I'm curious to see just how many players walk out on Mitchell over the coming weeks. It would take a bold move such as this to really put heat on Mitchell and the CSA.

Finally at least one player takes responsibility for the performance of the team. Admittedly, Stalteri has been very poor for this WCQ but he was far from alone and at least has the class to admit that the players bear much of the responsibility.

"As players all we can do is look at ourselves and look at our own performances," Stalteri said.

"Each and every player has to admit that they weren't at their best for every game. Had we been there, we probably would have had different results."

This is from the following article: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2008/10/14/7076311-sun.html

Archived