Hutchinson

DeJong

Bernier

Friend

Hume

Wagonaar

DeRosario

Serioux

Both Sutton and Onstad out, Wagonaar in. Hainault is back as is DeJong. Brennan out Pozniak in? Occean out, what happend did he run over Mitchell's dog?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by ken

roster is out, www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArticle.asp?Press_ID3358

lots of suprises

Somehow your URL dropped a vital '='.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3358

That should work.

Surprises, I suppose, would include Pozniak, Harmse (already discussed), Hainault, de Jong, Jakovic and Wagenaar. The exclusion of Issey makes sense, as he is either injured or out of favour at his club. Imhof is hurt, Occean hasn't really been in the mix, Brennan isn't automatic any more, there's no point calling Sutton and Onstad if they won't be playing . . . I could go on.

Those players are surprises, but for the most part I can understand the reasoning.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Honnestly now, looking at some of those players. Do you think taht we shoudl rightfully expect to qualify?

There are better canadian USL player not selected than some on that list

I disagree. I look at the talent among what should be our first 11 for this match, and I think they are good enough.

Players like Harmse, Poz, Jakovic, and Wagenaar aren't likely to see significant minutes.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I disagree. I look at the talent among what should be our first 11 for this match, and I think they are good enough.

Players like Harmse, Poz, Jakovic, and Wagenaar aren't likely to see significant minutes.

thats not really the point though. Is this the best we can do./

Well it's the first time that I've seriously questioned some of Mitchell's choices since he's been the coach. I don't get the Wagenaar over Sutton choice at all - or over Begovic for that matter if it's a matter of some sort of club conflict with TFC in the case of Sutton.

Then again, I've pretty well agreed with all of his choices before & that didn't get us very far, and given how disappointing the results have been with what I thought was our top line-up I suppose some changes can be justified. Not sure if these would be the ones to make though.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

thats not really the point though. Is this the best we can do./

Here are some 'questionable' players:

Harmse

Pozniak

Wagenaar

Jakovic

de Jong

Who would you choose instead? I think it's fair to assume Impact players are off limits, or would be so tired as to be useless for these matches.

The only somewhat obvious players that would represent a step up are Ledgerwood (over Pozniak), and Will Johnson, but it looks like they are looking for d-mid/defense cover, which he can't provide.

A few thoughts...

1. Too bad about Imhof's injury. To me, he is the one player we needed to stabilize our defending.

2. Look for McKenna to partner with Hastings at CB.

3. I wonder if there was some blow-up after the last few games. There seems to be some minor shake-up going on, including the Brennan drop. I wonder if there were some questions about commitment/effort (this is a question, not a comment).

4. Well, other than Ledgerwood (cue to Ed), Will Johnson and David Edgar, those who wanted some of the kids involved must be pleased. It will be interesting to see if they are emergency-calls only or if they are about to be thrown to the wolves.

In any case, I'm still hoping for positive results.

Also not having Issey and Imhof available hurts as both of them would start. With this roster I guess we could look like this

Stalteri-Mckenna--Hastings--Kluka

------------Jackovic--------------

Hume-------Deguz Hutch----------Radz

--------------Friend--------------

I think we should give jakovic a shot, I don't see anyone else and we are really short on Defensive midfielders and if Harmse plays god help us all. And I'm an atheist.

For the second game I say if the pairing works out of Mckenna and hastings and Jakovic does'nt play up to par we bring in Serioux in holding mid or insert him back in D. Dero for Hume, and Bernier is another option at holding Mid.

Just guessing, but I would imagine the thinking went like this: Lars is the man, and I want to maintain good relations with Houston and TFC, so I may as well not call them up to backup. Not saying its right, its just another knock-on of not honouring fifa dates.

I am 95% certain that Harmse is in because DM saw him play in central defence last weekend (I have seen DM at TFC matches several times (and resisted the urge to harm him)) and liked what he saw.

Now here is what I think the lineup will look like

Hirsch

Kluko-Hastings-Harmse-Diesel

Big Mac

JDG-Hutch

Radzinski Bernier

Friend

If we are trailing after 50 minutes Hume for Harmse

If we are trailing or tied after 75 minutes Gerba for Hastings (and put Big Mac in the back)

If we are trailing or tied after 85 minutes: Mitchell for Bernier

If we are trailing or tied after 90 minutes: Hart for Mitchell

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

I am 95% certain that Harmse is in because DM saw him play in central defence last weekend (I have seen DM at TFC matches several times (and resisted the urge to harm him)) and liked what he saw.

I would have thought that Mitchell wanted a hard tackler for the first game as Serioux is out. But putting Harmse on the field in Honduras in front of CONCACAF reffing is asking for a red card. The Honduran players will be throwing themselves on the ground if he gives them a hard look.

quote:Originally posted by ken

I would have thought that Mitchell wanted a hard tackler for the first game as Serioux is out.

I think it's simply Mitchell wanting to shore up the defensive side of things against Honduras. They are a counter-attacking side and both goals scored against us in Montreal happened partially as a result of midfielders not really busting their balls to get back & help out the defense. In terms of the selection of Harmse over Grande, I suspect it's a case of a coach going with a player he knows & feels he can rely on. Mitchell's finest moment as a national team coach came in 2003 when he thought the U20 team was leaking too many goals & chances in the U20 World Cup with a three man back-line, so he put Atiba in the back as an extra defender, put in Asante as a proper right wingback to make it a back four and moved Harmse (who was on the right of the back three with Arango & Marshall) into midfield as the d-mid. The changes worked & helped to almostt Canada into the semi's of the U20 World Cup.

I'm not saying I agree with the call - I'm just speculating as to what the reasoning probably is.

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

quote:Originally posted by Blackdude

Now here is what I think the lineup will look like

Hirsch

Kluko-Hastings-Harmse-Diesel

Big Mac

JDG-Hutch

Radzinski Bernier

Friend

Put some butter on our heads: we're toast.

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

The big problem with our team is the central backs, I don't like Serioux at all, why not Edgar David? give him some experience, even for 30 or 20 minutes. Also, we need to start the match with Gerba AND Friend on the attack.

I agree we should call up Edgar, but how can you not like Serioux. He's been our best player in qualifying.

Sorry, to all the optimists out there, but we have zero chance of qualifying with a roster like that. Doesn't matter if the surprises are all depth. Mitchell should never have been hired. He is a moron. CSA is garbage for hiring him. Unless something is done soon I'm wondering if we'll ever qualify for a World Cup. These qualifiers will only create more Judases and Whoregreaveses for us. Next will be Hoilett. Why isnn't Begovic at least invited to camp? I'm sure Bosnia would invite him.

Edgar is actually getting playing time in the same league as Stalteri (who is now featuring with the reserves). Stalteri starts and Edgar doesn't even get a call?

Players are constantlt being played out of position. Put Hume up top with Friend. Jeeze, its not rocket science.

Imhof (Yeah I know he's injured) and McKenna are starting in one of the top leagues in the world but aren't good enough to start for Canada? Give me a break.

I guess Mitchell is trying to shake things up. With this roster we still have a decent starting 11.

For the people who are mentionning Bosnia and Begovic, you have to realize that Begovic can't switch since he's 21 yrs old. Just like JDG2 can't switch to Canada anymore....don't know why I,m giving this example.

From the information available on the Yeovil fans forum, most of them thinks Josh might be the better keeper but Asmir is the number one due to a deal with Pompey. Anyways, any of those 2 I tell you the same thing, very risky and tough to understand what's going on with Pat and Greg at this point. Imagine if we're winning 1-0 in Honduras and Lars injured himself or get sent off with 20 min left and a very inexperienced keeper comes in....ischhh....could be dramatic!

Just to throw some interesting information out there, there was a post-game player celebration in a Montreal club after the loss to Honduras. As much as I respect the players showing up to play for Canada I am pretty offended they were celebrating while I and hundreds of others were on the brink of depression. Not sure if this had any effect on DM's selections but it is an interesting sidelight.

Also regarding the non-selection of Grande, he is a very good ball distributer but also is not very good defensively. I have watched all of Montreal's Champion's League games live and on video and when you see the replay you notice a lot of things you didn't the first time around. In every game Grande has made one or more major defensive screwup that could be punished by a top striker. The worst was in the Joe Public game in which while the Impact were going forward he received the ball a bit inside of midfield. He was under no pressure and had a lot of forward options but instead made a horrible long back pass that went right to JP's best striker who had a chance but didn't score. Do that against Suazo and it is a goal. And it was only one of several mistakes he made against JP (though to be fair he was possibly the best offensive player in the match). As good as the level of the CL games are they are still well below that of international games. Grande and Nash are both the type of ball distributers we are lacking but both have defensive liabilities. Grande is still superior to Nash defensively in that he is faster and a better ball winner but he still seems prone to one or two major blunders each game. At the USL level this is balanced out by the far larger number of great offensive plays he makes and the fact that his blunders don't usually lead to goals but in international play such blunders can be severely punished. It is similar to Onstad's blunders that don't get punished in MLS but almost always seem to be punished in international play.

Archived