Honduras & Mexico roster

ken

The following article explains some of the decisions. Onstad has withdrawn from the team because of criticism over the goal against Jamaica (very weak and unprofessional move in my opinion) and Sutton because his wife just had a baby (maybe a noble idea but unless there are some exceptional reasons like an illness he is a national team player and should act like one - in my opinion this should be the end of his national team career).

One more loss and Canada falls off World Cup qualifying road

By Neil Davidson, THE CANADIAN PRESS

A loss next week in Honduras and Canada's World Cup qualifying campaign is over. And the Canadian men will have to stave off elimination in San Pedro Sula on Oct. 11 without two key players.

Attacking midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and defender Adrian Serioux are suspended for a game after picking up yellow cards in a 2-1 loss in Mexico on Sept. 10. Both will be missed. De Rosario, along with Julian de Guzman, supplies creativity to the Canadian attack. And Serioux has helped anchor the defence.

The 2-1 defeat in Mexico left Canada (0-2-1) with just one point from three matches. Mexico (3-0-0) leads the group with nine points, ahead of Honduras (2-1-0) at six. A Honduras win over Canada will leave the Canadians eight points behind the Central Americans with only two games and six points left on the table.

The top two teams in the group advance to the final round of qualifying in CONCACAF, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

"We look at it as a match you've got to win," Canadian coach Dale Mitchell said of the Honduras game.

Mitchell, whose squad lost 2-1 to the Central Americans in Montreal on Sept. 6, knows his team is in tough but is trying to be positive.

"Do what you can to win the next game and things start to look different," he said in an interview Friday after the Canadian roster was released. "Momentum, possibly, starts to get on your side. There's only two games to play after that. So a lot of things can happen. And things can turn around very quickly. We've just got to be positive about getting results in San Pedro Sula."

A tie Oct. 11 and there is still light at the end of the tunnel, but it will be very, very dim. Canada, with two points, could then finish with eight if it wins its remaining games Oct. 15 against Mexico in Edmonton and Nov. 19 in Jamaica. But it would need Honduras to fall apart in its final two fixtures.

There has already been one casualty on the qualifying road. Veteran goalkeeper Pat Onstad has withdrawn from the squad after knocking the ball into his own net during a frenetic corner in the Aug. 20 game against Jamaica.

"It wasn't really my decision. ... The reaction that he had, to be honest with you, from a lot of people within the country I think has made him think that at the moment he'd like to just step back a little bit from the national team," Mitchell said. "It's not a retirement. But at the moment's he's not going to be involved for the next little while."

"It was a big game," the coach added of the 1-1 tie with Jamaica, the opening game of the round. "Certainly I would never have blamed the result on one person. But he got a fair bit of criticism over the goal."

Lars Hirschfeld, who has played the last two games, should start against Honduras with Joshua Wagenaar (Yeovil Town, England) as his backup. Toronto FC goalkeeper Greg Sutton was selected but chose not to accept because of family reasons since his wife just had a baby.

Mitchell said he opted not to call up Toronto FC defender Jim Brennan and Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Ante Jazic because he has plenty of options on the left side.

"Mike Klukowski for me has been one of our better players, if not our best player over the three games," Mitchell said. "For those guys (Brennan and Jazic), they've got matches with their teams and I felt it was better they stayed with their teams and played - rather than come away for 10 days and maybe be not be involved as much as they would like with us."

Midfielders Daniel Imhof and Issey Nakajima-Farran are injured.

Midfielder Patrice Bernier returns from suspension while midfielder-forward Tomasz Radzinski has recovered from a hand injury. Coming into the team are defender Chris Pozniak (Dundee, Scotland) and midfielder Kevin Harmse (Toronto FC).

In reviewing the last three games, Mitchell says the Canadians showed well against Jamaica and "maybe deserved a bit more."

He was disappointed at the ensuring loss to Honduras, because his team led at the half before giving up two goals in nine minutes against a team he believes was vulnerable coming off a loss in Mexico in which it lost the lead in the second half.

Mitchell always knew facing Mexico in Mexico was a tough ask.

"We did a good job of what we set out to do. And maybe if it had gone a little bit longer (without Mexico scoring), I think that there was a game that possibly could have gone either way.

"I guess we've been close but I can't say we've hit the form that it's really going to take to get the results. And that's what we've got to do in the next three games."

Mitchell notes there is no room for mistakes in World Cup qualifying.

"So few games and on the pitch there's very little room for error as well. Because things happen at the international level very quickly ... the pace of the attacks, when the ball turns over, teams gets at you very quick and if you're a little bit out of shape, they have the quality to hurt you.

"There's very little margin for error at this level. You've got to get a lot of things right to be a team that gets result here. That's what we're working on."

Mitchell anticipates a "very good" atmosphere in San Pedro Sula, where a track around the pitch means the fans aren't on top of the players.

"It's not the most intimidating place in Central America but the fans are rabid. They'll get right behind their team and they'll make it as uncomfortable as they possibly can for us. But we've got players who have been through this before and we've got to deal well with it."

Most of the players will be arriving in Sunrise, Fla., on Sunday and Monday so Mitchell will have time with them before heading to Honduras on Thursday. The team will head to Edmonton on Oct. 12.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I agree we should call up Edgar, but how can you not like Serioux. He's been our best player in qualifying.

absolutely - the guy has been a revelation

why not point fingers at stalteri, who has been our worst player in qualifying?

With the goalie situation explained, the only shocking exclusions for me would probably be Ledgerwood and Johnson as well as Occean I guess.

I don't get all the David Edgar love. The game I saw him play for Newcastle he looked out of his depth. I realize EPL does not equal CONCACAF WCQ, but I still am not sure he is ready.

The other move I would have considered is calling Kenny S. The goalie situation worries me.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

3. I wonder if there was some blow-up after the last few games. There seems to be some minor shake-up going on, including the Brennan drop. I wonder if there were some questions about commitment/effort (this is a question, not a comment).

4. Well, other than Ledgerwood (cue to Ed), Will Johnson and David Edgar, those who wanted some of the kids involved must be pleased.

3. I agree completely - thats exactly how it looks, and it helps to collaborate some of the vague rumours floating about regarding Brennan's exclusion.

4.The problem is, when people started to call for youth (and I was the loudest voice for the biggest change) we were expecting that these three names would be at the top of the list of those called, ahead of the likes Pozniak and Harmse - young, potential future starting-blood, instead of career-utility-guy kind of blood. I like the Jakovic call up but would have him fourth on that list, not called up twice in a row while the other three dont even get a sniff. Edgar hasnt been great but he is adjusting to the best league in the world, has had key starts, and has been more-or-less promised he would be a part of qualifying (was that not the quote from DM?)

Always like your posts, David...

I really dont see why people are complaining. At the beginning of qualifying everyones mood was good because we didnt call up "another peters" this time. We have guys like dero, serioux, imhof and issey that are out for the next game. Thats not mitchells fault. Now we are complaining because we want to see unproved youngsters like ledgerwood and edgar for a MUST WIN GAME?? were still in it!!!! I dont get some of your logic here!! Sure harmse is here which I agree is questionable at best but at least hes been around a few years in mls. Hes probably not getting any playing time anyway, but just remember he did feature in the last gold cup.

Our starting 11:

Lars

Stalteri-----Mckenna-----Hastings-----Klukowski

Bernier-----Deguz----Hutchinson------Radzinski

------------------Hume----------------

---------------Friend-----------------

Im not sure many people can complain about the lack of quality in that starting lineup. Then we have Gerba and de Jong coming off the bench. With the 2 playing who beat us in the last game out (Suazo, Ramon), we have a good shot at this one.

Same as Massive Attack, I can't see why all that Edgar love. I think he's struggling to adjust to the EPL level and should be getting PT in the CCC or even League One.

Agree with Alex, the starting 11 should be quality and we have a variety of decent subs, so we should be able to compete in this game in Honduras.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Just to throw some interesting information out there, there was a post-game player celebration in a Montreal club after the loss to Honduras. As much as I respect the players showing up to play for Canada I am pretty offended they were celebrating while I and hundreds of others were on the brink of depression. Not sure if this had any effect on DM's selections but it is an interesting sidelight.

Well you can tell Holger's no longer the coach, that's for sure. Frankly I don't think Mitchell should have allowed it.....didn't they have a plane to catch to Mexico right after the game?

quote:Originally posted by Alex

\

Our starting 11:

Lars

Stalteri-----Mckenna-----Hastings-----Klukowski

Bernier-----Deguz----Hutchinson------Radzinski

------------------Hume----------------

---------------Friend-----------------

My only issue with that line-up is the lack of pace at the back. We conceded twice from fast counter attacks against Honduras, twice from counter attacks against Estonia... We really need some pace back there. Without Serioux, I'd at least like to play Jakovic, how isn't fast, but is a helluva a lot more dynamic than McKenna or Hastings.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The other move I would have considered is calling Kenny S. The goalie situation worries me.

Yeah, I had been wondering about that as well. With Onstad & Sutton out of the picture at the moment the goal keeping pool is down to four, Hirshfeld, Stama, Begovic & Wagenaar. I would have gone with the more experienced Stama as the back-up.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yeah, I had been wondering about that as well. With Onstad & Sutton out of the picture at the moment the goal keeping pool is down to four, Hirshfeld, Stama, Begovic & Wagenaar. I would have gone with the more experienced Stama as the back-up.

The thing I don't get is calling Wagenaar over Begovic, since Begovic is starting over him at Yeovil. Since there playing at the same club, the Yeovil manager must see enough of them in training and during matches to figure out who is the better keeper.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well you can tell Holger's no longer the coach, that's for sure. Frankly I don't think Mitchell should have allowed it.....didn't they have a plane to catch to Mexico right after the game?

According to the CSA release, the team was flying out to Mexico on the sunday morning.

I'm wondering what this is all about. Are we talking of a few players, mainly from MTL, who went for a beer with friends and familly or a pub-crawl kind of night with all the players getting drunk???

The thing I don't get is calling Wagenaar over Begovic, since Begovic is starting over him at Yeovil. Since there playing at the same club, the Yeovil manager must see enough of them in training and during matches to figure out who is the better keeper.

I believe that part of the loan deal for Begovic is that he must start league games. That was a stipulation that Portsmouth made and Yeovil must follow it.

Like I've said earlier in this thread, Begovic is the automatic starter because of a deal with Pompey who accepted to loaned him if he was going to start. But ask the fans over there who should start, most of them will tell you Josh has impress more in preseason and the 3-4 Cup games he played in.

Anyways, your point is valid but I don't think there is much difference between the 2 and if I see one of them getting on the field (well in this case it will be Josh if it is to happen) I'll probably getting very stress.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

3. I agree completely - thats exactly how it looks, and it helps to collaborate some of the vague rumours floating about regarding Brennan's exclusion.

4.The problem is, when people started to call for youth (and I was the loudest voice for the biggest change) we were expecting that these three names would be at the top of the list of those called, ahead of the likes Pozniak and Harmse - young, potential future starting-blood, instead of career-utility-guy kind of blood. I like the Jakovic call up but would have him fourth on that list, not called up twice in a row while the other three dont even get a sniff. Edgar hasnt been great but he is adjusting to the best league in the world, has had key starts, and has been more-or-less promised he would be a part of qualifying (was that not the quote from DM?)

Always like your posts, David...

(**I would not be surprised if**) Jimmy Brennan told Dale exactly what he thought of him after the Mexico game. For all the complaining the supposed 'leaders' of the team do (jules and dwayne) they really dropped the ball in not confronting Dale and asking him to get lost so the team could have a fresh start. This is what true leaders do when its obvious a loser coach does not have the balls to step up and take the blame and quit.

4 years ago, we were in this exact position. And what happened? We got a tie in Honduras (screwed out of a clear goal as well if im not mistaken). Did we really have less talent then? We had more heart, and an actual Captain, thats for sure.

-------Radz Hume

deRo Grande Imhof Julian

Jazic deVos Watson Hutch

---------Onstad

All we need to do is find some self belief and we will win this game.

------------Friend

-------------Hutch

--deJong-------------------Radz

-------deGuz------Bernier

Kluka---Hastings--McKenna---Stalteri

------------Hirsch

Ledgerwood and Johnson should have been called.

Pozniak, Harmse, Wagenaar? What is this 2004? 2nd division scotland, Toronto FC (lol) and Yeovil Town?

How was WILL JOHNSON not called? No EDGAR? How!??!

Johnson is playing great ball right now and Edgar has seen infinity times more premier league minutes than Stalteri

Edgar's exclusion is justifiable IMO because in his most recent league starts he hasn't looked in confident form out there. Fact is, we have had this depth issue at RB for many months now and frankly no one has stepped up and made the position his own, simple as that (unless DM sees Pozniak being the cover/possible starter for these matches)

Grizzly, I agree with you about Grande and the defensive side of his game, but I would rather have him in there a country mile ahead of a guy like Harmse.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

(**I would not be surprised if**) Jimmy Brennan told Dale exactly what he thought of him after the Mexico game. For all the complaining the supposed 'leaders' of the team do (jules and dwayne) they really dropped the ball in not confronting Dale and asking him to get lost so the team could have a fresh start. This is what true leaders do when its obvious a loser coach does not have the balls to step up and take the blame and quit.

If this is really what happened I have a hard time thinking of Brennan as a leader. I would characterize him as a player who bailed on Canada twice in important situations. Whether the coaches were poor or not is immaterial, he failed to show when he was needed and that is the exact opposite of leadership. To me he will always be one of those national team players with an asterix beside his name. Hopefully he has played his last game for Canada.

In regards to the party it seems to have been in a disco and JDG and Issey were in attendance, don't know about any of the others or whether they were drinking. Even though JDG is one of the players I respect the most, seeing pictures of him dancing after the game while most of us were in depression does rub me the wrong way, whether they were drinking or not. It also makes one wonder about whether this has any effect on his up to now poor performance in this WCQ.

(maybe a noble idea but unless there are some exceptional reasons like an illness he is a national team player and should act like one - in my opinion this should be the end of his national team career).

I think that's a little harsh, Lars is our first choice but if he get's injured in the future, I'd feel much better having Sutton there in good standing then bringing up anyone else in an important match(of course I wish he would be there this pair of games). If after missing this, he rides the pine politely for a while and waits for his chance like goalie with a good attitude, then no biggie. But I'd agree with you that having your keepers not come cause they'll be on the bench is not acceptable for the most part, thats just to risky, Lars is bound to at the least get knocked the great out for a second in the next 5-10 years.

and the squad isn't too bad, some questionable choices towards the end but I think we'll still be putting out about as good a squad on the pitch as we could.

I have to say this (maybe I'll take a little heat) but Ali Gerba needs to be in the starting 11. I along with many others have consistently called for Friend but Mitchell can't organize the team in a way that makes him effective. Ali has found a way time and time again to score goals for the MNT. He should be starting.

I think it's time we went 4-4-2 with Friend and Gerba up front. Hume can come on for the least effective of the two (or the most tired, Gerba's conditioning may come into question).

So far I think our best players have been Hutchinson, Serioux, Radzinski, Klukowski & Hirschfeld.

What needs to be accomplished is by no means impossible. One thing that may work to our advantage is that expectations are pretty much zero at this point. A little less pressure never hurts.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I was going to say the same thing. Ali Gerba has 9 goals in 18 games for the National team.

No other player comes close with strike rate. He deserves to start.

I doubt Mitchell would use it, but Canada looked good at the end of the Mexico game using the 4-3-3. So maybe Hume, Friend and Gerba upfront??

In regards to the party it seems to have been in a disco and JDG and Issey were in attendance, don't know about any of the others or whether they were drinking. Even though JDG is one of the players I respect the most, seeing pictures of him dancing after the game while most of us were in depression does rub me the wrong way, whether they were drinking or not. It also makes one wonder about whether this has any effect on his up to now poor performance in this WCQ.

That pissed me off when I saw pictures of JDG smiling after the match having a good time. I was walking around after the match sick to my stomach man. Seems our boys have a party problem, I mean every f***n game at home they have to host a party, in South Africa they just got ****faced and then played brutal. Hopefully they took good pictures from South Africa because real pros don't act this way.

Archived