Hirsch

Onstad

Gerba

Hainault

Nsaliwa

Hastings

Hume

DeJong

Tough, tough squad decisions if all are available. Jamaican speed will be a problem for our relatively slow defense, but I dont see any other options at CB that are major upgrades in that area - none of Hainault, Hastings, McKenna, Brennan, are speed demons.

If we can stay disciplined and keep our formation we should be able get behind their backline and test them from our mid with balls from outside the box.

God I hope we can field Nsaliwa. He may be creeping into Hutch's spot, as we know he can play defense and he also show great creativity during his brief spell against Brasil. If Nsaliwa cant play then I think its Brennan to take his spot on the bench.

Edit: I am a bit scared about adding Hirsch and McKenna into the fold this late, but I think that it will be better for us in the long run (assuming there is a long run) even if there is a bit of an adjustment. God, if Adrian Cann can come out of literally nowhere and start for his first cap for Canada (in a WCQ, no less)then I think Big Kev could be added without too much ensuing chaos. McKenna is also a great JDV-style addition as a tall and strong threat on set-pieces, which will be needed as the Jamaicans are still so athletic and strong, and our mids are relatively short.

The wild card for our backline will be David Edgar. If he shows good stuff in pre-season for Newcastle and plays in the first two weeks of the Premier League season (really plays, not twenty seconds in second-half stoppage time), he has to be considered for a spot on Canada's roster.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

God I hope we can field Nsaliwa. He may be creeping into Hutch's spot, as we know he can play defense and he also show great creativity during his brief spell against Brasil. If Nsaliwa cant play then I think its Brennan to take his spot on the bench.

Put Nsaliwa into centre mid with DeGuzman, move Hutch to the right side of midfield to provide Stalteri with better defensive support than either Issey or Radz, send one of the latter two to the bench.

Discuss.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Put Nsaliwa into centre mid with DeGuzman, move Hutch to the right side of midfield to provide Stalteri with better defensive support than either Issey or Radz, send one of the latter two to the bench.

Discuss.

Hutchinson has played a lot on the left side for FCK. I'm not sure Klukowski needs the defensive support as much as Stalteri, but that's a more natural home for Atiba if you need him to move to make room for Tam.

I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas and not throwing Stalteri under the bus: I'm just not that sold on the defensive sides of Issey and especially Radz's games at the moment. It seemed in the last two internationals I watched (South Africa and Brazil), attacks from overlapping defenders seemed to be generated more against that side of our defence, and both these midfielders have been involved. But perhaps I'm just getting concerned for nothing. In that case . . . never mind (Gilda Radner homage moment).

I think issey might worth sending to the bench for nsaliwa and and player shift to make it work. I think Occean needs another looking at in a friendly. I'd like to see a few younger guys looked at over hastings but keep him in the mix and see where he's at in 2 years.

True say, I'd keep hastings on the bench put hainault on as (maybe it's too early with our tough qualifing group but he may be our starting CB in 2010, if only we could get a couple more friendlies before jamaica), move serioux to CDM and start with radz and hutch but let nsaliwa and issey get a crack at their spots and move dero around to accomadate the changing formations. but that's just crazytalk

edit: issey has had his moments but doesn't quite bring it for enough of the full 90 minutes, fades in and out of relevant play, by 2010 he could potentially be our starter, right now, I think a couple players might have more impact in a game. he's for sure one of our first choice subs if because he is capable of stepping up his game to a winning level of play.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

edit: issey has had his moments but doesn't quite bring it for enough of the full 90 minutes, fades in and out of relevant play, by 2010 he could potentially be our starter, right now, I think a couple players might have more impact in a game. he's for sure one of our first choice subs if because he is capable of stepping up his game to a winning level of play.

Agreed. I fail to be impressed by his play as well. I give him kudos for the great ball he delivered to Dero who just missed a great scoring chance. But beyond that, from the games I saw, I am yet to see why he is being considered for a starting role. Just saw last nights game for the third time and i noted: some great buildups that ended when he touched the ball as result of poor decision making, inaccurate and poorly weighted ball distribution ( That otherwise would have been a clear chance for Gerba), and a weak first touch that ended up wasting a good ball delivered to him.

Sure I am not being fair here given that we won 4-1. But do we not want to see our best players on pitch when the serious games start? Can we not at least agree that we have better players who can fill that role as a starter.

There are other areas where we must improve from last night. In many of these instance its not that we played poorly in these areas its just that the weak opposition covered it up. One is central defense and two is striker. Gerba had a good game but this was St Vincent. And there is a reason why he is unattached and why he has not established himself at the club level and managed to progress to higher levels. On the goals he scored, the arking could not have been more attrocius.

As far as central D, I am at a loss as to why Cann was chosen over the other options on the bench. Someone mentioned that aside that goal against he had a decent game. But that play was his only test. Because of the opposition, he wasn't challenged for much of the game. Serioux is OK, but again, I think that there are better options.

When the next round starts, we need our best team.

Onstad or Hirsch

Stalteri Mckenna Hastings Kluka

Imhoff Hutch

Radz JDG DeRo

Friend

Onstad or Hirsch

De Jong

Issey

Gerba

Hainault

Bernier

Serioux

You can inverse the trinagle in the middle into a more offensive one by playing Hutch in an offensive role.

Just a thought on the lineup

Serioux has impressed the hell out of me and we need at least one CB that can pass it out of the back. I don't think Hastings is that guy.

Radz was a responsible winger, but I don't think that effective. Do you think Hutchinson could move out to the wing? He has speed and some real offensive flair. Bring Nsaliwa in to the middle.

-----------------Hirsch

Stalteri---Serioux---McKenna----Kluka

---------JDG------------Nsaliwa

Issey------------DeRo-----------Hutch

----------------Friend

I really like that lineup....probably why I made it hahahaha

Well from what I know Jamaica are fast but most of the team lacks the proper technique. We are technincally better than them and if the back four do their job properly we should come out on top. I'm more concerned with our goaltending honestly Hirsch, Onstad, Sutton etcc are no Bufffon. We need a dominating goalie if the defence breaks down. Van Der Sar now if we had him I would be more at ease forget the defense its stable enough with Mckenna, Kluk,Stalt,Serious etc we need a good goalie period!

quote:Originally posted by Juby

True say, I'd keep hastings on the bench put hainault on as (maybe it's too early with our tough qualifing group but he may be our starting CB in 2010, if only we could get a couple more friendlies before jamaica

Is Hainault hurt? If not, then one has to ask why he was not able to beat out Cann for the second leg start?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

You guys are forgetting Imhoff. Consistent starter at D-mid in the Bundesliga.

If he's healthy and returns to his place in the Bochum side, than he should be considered.

IMHO, if McKenna, Imhof, Nsaliwa, Hume, Hirshfeld and Simpson are healthy/eligible, they need to be there or seriously considered. Tough choices as to who to take out, however. (Cann, Onstad/Sutton/Hirshfeld, Bernier Brennan, DeJong/Issey/Simpson, Hastings/Serioux/Imhof). Gotta go by who is in-form and healthy.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

IMHO, if McKenna, Imhof, Nsaliwa, Hume, Hirshfeld and Simpson are healthy/eligible, they need to be there or seriously considered. Tough choices as to who to take out, however. (Cann, Onstad/Sutton/Hirshfeld, Bernier Brennan, DeJong/Issey/Simpson, Hastings/Serioux/Imhof). Gotta go by who is in-form and healthy.

Health is one thing, but "in form" is a pretty subjective one in the manager's eyes. If, after the first two home matches, a player isn't cutting it based on his current form, will DM think that dropping that player will mess up the continuity or chemistry too much and chose instead to play on with his original team? Or will he decide to bring in different "in form" options? Let's say that Simpson makes a hot start to his club's campaign but Issey and Radz fail to stand out in the first two second round matches: will DM make the change?

My view is that Mitchel should be using MLS players more during the August/September period. They will be in better match shape.

Just look at Russia in Euro 2008. Their domestic season is still ongoing and appear to be in much better shape.

I would prefer, Dero, onstad (or sutton), serioux, brennan to be in the starting 11. I would hope at least 4 MLS starters are chosen (not because they are all better...just "match fit" )

I think that was one of our disadvantages in previous wcq qualifying. The Euro based players are on vacation or will just be starting training camp or regular season.

I wouldn't mess too much with what we have, but I think it is vital to field a team that has the pace to mark the Jamaican strikers. I still feel we have not yet solved the back four, in particular the CBs. Serioux is quick and strong, but looks a bit uncertain at times. He needs to be paired with the best CB we have, likely Mckenna if he is in form. Kluka on the left and Stalteri on the right is good, but I worry about Larry's pace these days.

We will win all our games in midfield, but we could lose them at the back. If desperate, we might play Hutch at CB even. Put Imhoff in with DeGuzman.

On a guess, if all are available, for now I would lean towards a Serioux/McKenna partnership. I don't want to see Hutch back there but I thought McKenna did a good job at GC 2005 with a skillful technician in Hutchinson as his partner: perhaps a confident Serioux can provide the same catalyst for the combo.

It is worthwhile to watch how Stalteri copes if he has to rely on Issey or Radz as his flank midfield cover. It doesn't appear to be as much of a problem on Klukowski's side. Interesting enough (and I know people will argue with and/or laugh at this next point), but the guy who IMO did the best job from a defensive standpoint playing on the flank of midfield in front of Stalteri has been Bernier, but I'm sure he's not starting unless he has a fantastic run of form with whichever club he plays with next season and/or there's an injury crisis.

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

Can we get David Edgar, Jaime Peters, Marcel De Jong in there??? All 20-21 years old and should be superstars... let them play!

Play in place of whom, the more experienced players competing at higher levels? Bad for team chemistry + baffling = Frank Yallop move

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Play in place of whom, the more experienced players competing at higher levels? Bad for team chemistry + baffling = Frank Yallop move

Maybe not right away, but perhaps after we win the first 4 games.:)

With the other teams fighting it out for second place, it would provide a great level of competitiveness to bring in some young guys (not all at once of course).

We do need to think about our future all the time; you never know, one of those guys could be starting come 2010

--------------Lars------------------

Stalteri-Serioux--Hastings-Klukowski

--------Hutchinson--JDG-------------

Issey---------Radz---------DeRosario

-------------Friend-----------------

Onstad

McKenna

De Jong

Nsaliwa

Hutchinson

Hume

Gerba

Notes:

- Nsaliwa could make a BIG case for Hutch and Iseey's roles - the questions is his eligitbility

- Hume makes the perfect super sub for an offensive 3-5-2 if we're down - gotta have him the squad

- McKenna could well challeneg Hastings and likely overtake at CB - his aerial threat over Honduras/Mexico would be huge

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Does McKenna step back into the lineup? What happens to Gerba, who delivers everytime he's on the field. What about Simpson? Peters, Edgar, Hainault, Jazic, Johnson, Hirsch (Edit: forgot Hume, Imhof, Nsaliwa). Is the lineup set in stone, for now? Why was Cann given the start?

It's likely that we've seen our starters in the last three games as it now seems to be about stabilizing the lineup but what about Kevin Mac. Can't see any of the young guys seeing any action this WCQ.

Centre half is still a question for me. Quite sure that Mitch has settled on Serioux in the back and I'm actually cool with that as he's got an eye and the head for the position not to mention legs enough to make up for some of our other lads.

But you could say the same of Hastings who's played some pretty good football in the middle. And with Kluk having done everything but nail down the left back position as far as I can see it's not like you can say "Good job, Richard. But we're moving you to left back." Hard to reward players for playing well with a demotion to the bench. HATE to say it but Big Kev may be on the outside looking in just about now.

Which maybe isn't such a bad thing with Koln going up to the Bundesliga this season. But we will miss him in the enemy box. With Friend's quality really beginning to show it just makes McKenna that much more dangerous.

I didn't think Hastings displayed his latter stage GC 2007 form in the Brazil match and it would have been really valuable to see how he and the others did against Panama, so unfortunately I think he opened the door for competition opposite of Serioux.

I would be very surprised if the first choice XI for August 20 is the same as the starters for the final second round group match, regardless of injury or suspension and considering that we are in a position to clinch a place in the Hex. I think at least one starter will have played himself out of a spot and a different (most likely, younger) player will earn himself a position. In the end, I hope all our first choice XI are hitting form at the right time but if a player becomes a liability out there, then DM needs to act promptly. We can't afford to drop points in the first two games.

TO ME THE 20/23 PLAYERS PANEL FOR THE JAMAICAN GAME WILL BE (if everyone is avail)

HIRSHFELD/ONSTAD/SUTTON

STALTERI/MCKENNA/SERIOUX/KUKLOWSKI/BRENNAN/HASTINGS/EDGAR

IMHOFF/NSALIWA/DEGUZMAN/HUTCHINSON/BERNIER/SIMPSON/ISEY/DE JONG

RADZINSKI/FRIEND/GERBA/HUME/DE ROSARIO

anyway for me the best canadian team is

lars

stalteri serioux hutchinson kuklowski

nsaliwa imhoff

de guzman

hume de rosario

friend

this is a great team

AND FOR A QUALIFICATION GAME NATIONAL TEAMS NEEDS TO CALL 23 players for game , just for cover

Archived