1. Hirschfeld - he starts, lets not make the same mistakes as 2004 PLEASE

2. McKenna - we're not benching a Bundesliga Captain

3. Serioux

4. Klukowski

5. Hastings

6. Julian de Guzman

7. Stalteri - he may have more passion than skill but our Captain he is

8. Nsaliwa - make it happen CSA OR, if not available 8. Imhof

9. Radzinski - like Stalteri, we have to start Radz, we don't need any bruised egos in the locker room on the eve of WCQ

10. Gerba

11. Brennan

12. Issey

13. Hutchinson

14. DeRosario

15. Bernier

16. Friend

17. Hume

18. Onstad

Left Out: deJong, Hainault, Sutton, possibly Imhof, Simpson, Occean

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

How bout a Bundesliga striker? Friend??

thanks, totally forgot him. It was tough cutting someone out but in the end i replaced Simpson. Simpson and Issey are pretty much equal, and thus redundant. I doubt we'd ever sub in both in one game.

Other candidates were Hume, Hastings and Bernier

1. Hirschfeld

2. Serioux

3. Klukowski

4. Mckenna

5. Edgar

6. De Guzman

7. Stalteri

8. Nsaliwa

9. Radzinski

10. Gerba

11. De Jong

12. Issey NF

13. Hutch

14. DeRo

15. Imhof

16. Friend

17. Hume

18. Sutton

Bernier needs to be dropped for Imhof. Imhof is a starter in the Bundesliga and even had 2 goals last season, Bernier hasn't been starting for Kaiserslautern a B2 team who just avoided relegation and his MNT form has been very poor.

De Jong needs to be selected ahead of Brennan. De Jong is playing at a higher level and hasn't done anything wrong he has been solid for the little time we have seen.

Hutchinson is a no go for CB. Play the players as they play for their clubs! Hutch plays as an attacking mid, winger or striker. So don't play him at CB or DM. Hume was solid to end his CCC season, depending on where/how he is playing he should be called.

Sutton > Onstad, simple as that. Gerba should continue to be called as long as he has a club by August and is match fit.

Nsaliwa better have his papers done, he gives us cover at RB, central D and should be a starter in our mid.

GK - Lars

CB - Big Kev

CB - Serioux

LB - Kluka

RB - Diesel

CM - Hutch

CM - JDG

RW - Radz

LW - Issey

Free Role - DDR

Striker - Friend

-Bench-

GK - Sutton

D - Hastings

D/M - de Jong

D/M - Jimmy B

M - Bernier

M/F - Hume

F - Ali G

This line-up seems to lack true cover for Diesel, but unless I'm mistaken Serioux has experience at Right Fullback. Despite playing similar roles I included both Jimmy B and de Jong in order to provide as much versatility as possible. In place of one of them I wouldn't be opposed to either Ledgerwood or Lensky as they both also provide versatility with their ability to play multiple positions.

Gk: Hischfeld

LB: Kluko

LCB: Serioux

RCB: MCkenna

RB: Stalteri

LM Issey

LCM: Jules

CDM:Imhoff

RCM: Atiba

RM: Dero

S: Friend

Bench:

Hastings

Dejong

Brennan

Bernier

Radz

Hume

Gerba

I'll never include Tam into the squad until his passport issue is resolved. I loved to see him though cause our CM depth is thin especially for a spark of the bench the usaul suspects of Bernier and Dejong are both better suited for CDM. I also think Radz is better suited as a spark off the bench and an option to change the formation along with Hume

Couple of questions:

1. Is there any value in keeping the 18 together from Brazil/SVG for the first three games (summer) games given the time they recently spent together in training and games? Presumably this value decreases significantly once players spend more time with their European sides?

2. Which of the players under consideration need to stay with their club sides in August/September to improve their chances of getting playing time this winter and supporting their availability in 2009? In a 50/50 situation, or a player who won't be in the starting 11, wouldn't Dale take the club situation into account this early in the campaign? Especially since he'll need some consideration from his players (and their clubs) in October for San Pedro Sula and Edmonton? Or worse - needing a result in Kingston in November and bringing a player over for one game?

2a) Wouldn't Ali Gerba be more attractive for the first three games without a contract than with one? All the European players are in the off-season/pre-season so match fitness isn't as big a difference right now. If he gets a contract in Europe, I'd really hesitate taking him away from his brand-new team days after he has signed...unless he's a definite difference-maker. (Which most agree he isn't.)

I'm not so sure about Issey. It hasn't been mentioned much but a few of us here in Vancouver don't think he's up to snuff. I think I'd rather see Peters or Simpson. Hume for sure. Issey is quick but I don't think he as good with the ball as the other 3 mentioned. Hume and Peters are more dangerous in attack. Issey might be a safer choice as he'll probably help out more in defense.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Lensky? lets see him get some first team action before we call him. He is way down the depth chart right now

He plays multiple positions and looked rather decent in the Olympic Qualifiers. Versatility off the bench could give us an advantage that I think would be foolish not to exploit.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I'm not so sure about Issey. It hasn't been mentioned much but a few of us here in Vancouver don't think he's up to snuff. I think I'd rather see Peters or Simpson. Hume for sure. Issey is quick but I don't think he as good with the ball as the other 3 mentioned. Hume and Peters are more dangerous in attack. Issey might be a safer choice as he'll probably help out more in defense.

I agree with this point about Issey, in that i don't think if we have all players healthy and available, he is in the top 18 (and I definitely don't think he is in the starting 11).

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Independent of his glaring miss, Issey didn't really play that well vs Brazil: his final passing/crossing service from the flanks for our attackers in goal scoring positions was poor and though he is willing in his defensive responsibilites I don't find him that effective as yet (re: South Africa match). That said, I still think he is a good fit with our other midfielders because tactically he moves the ball effectively in our build up play. Also he's good with both feet and can take a defender on 1 v 1 and make something happen (drawn penalty against Haiti at GC 07).

I'd like to see what Simpson looks like again now that he's had a full year of Bundesliga 2 under his belt. Though he's a pure portsider, I think he's good in his defensive responsibilities with his pace (arguably one of the fastest men in the squad) and experience as a fullback. To me, he still more athlete than footballer in both his technical skills and tactical abilities, but hopefully his year in Germany has honed his game in both areas.

Hume fits as a valuable attacking sub and for that alone he should be in close contention for a squad place, especially if he starts the year healthy and playing regular first team club football.

To me, Peters needs to re-establish himself as a regular with Ipswich, not Yeovil, before he gets the call for August. I'd take Will Johnson over him at this point or even have a look at Simeon Jackson should he make a hot start to his club season (he plays in the same division as Yeovil, doesn't he?).

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Hume fits as a valuable attacking sub and for that alone he should be in close contention for a squad place, especially if he starts the year healthy and playing regular first team club football.

I'd like to start Hume out wide instead of Issey (or even Radzinski for that matter). I think he'd do alright there.

How would Hume on one wing and Simpson on another disrupt things (with DDR, Hutch and JdG in the middle)?

As for the 18, I'd go with the following:

1. Hirschfeld

2. De Guzman

3. Friend

4. Hutchinson

5. Klukowski

6. Mckenna

7. Stalteri

8. De Rosario

9. Imhof

10. Serioux

11. Gerba

12. Sutton

13. Radzinski

14. Nakajima-Farran

15. De Jong

16. Hastings

17. Hume

18. Simpson

Once you get up past #10 or thereabouts, you can easily replace any of those players with ones that I've left off (Occean, Brennan, Hainault, Edgar, Onstad) depending on who's in form. I think that speaks more to our depth than anything. A good problem to have.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I'd like to start Hume out wide instead of Issey (or even Radzinski for that matter). I think he'd do alright there.

How would Hume on one wing and Simpson on another disrupt things (with DDR, Hutch and JdG in the middle)?

Not really sure about your latter point because I feel both those guys give the ball away too much with impatient, inaccurate or ill-advised passes, the kind of turnovers that mess up a team's rhythm in the middle third of the pitch. Now if Simpson has improved his game in that respect, then that's a different story.

It's interesting that you have brought up Radzinski's name. I don't know in what position he's playing for his Greek club, but the system we are currently using has a ton of workrate demands for the flank midfield players and I wonder if his 34 year old legs are up to the challenge anymore.

It's interesting that you have brought up Radzinski's name. I don't know in what position he's playing for his Greek club, but the system we are currently using has a ton of workrate demands for the flank midfield players and I wonder if his 34 year old legs are up to the challenge anymore.

That was basically my thinking too. Issey and especially Simpson have the wheels for it and Hume has the workrate.

Out wide is an area, along with center D, where changes could be made, however unlike center D it's because of the options we have rather than the lack thereof.

However, I'm not too keen on changing things too much. Hate to go into Aug. 20th with some experiments.

That was basically my thinking too. Issey and especially Simpson have the wheels for it and Hume has the workrate.

Out wide is an area, along with center D, where changes could be made, however unlike center D it's because of the options we have rather than the lack thereof.

However, I'm not too keen on changing things too much. Hate to go into Aug. 20th with some experiments.

Issey has impressed me over the past games. He scored in the 1st SVG game and had a goal wrongly disallowed in the 2nd game. Should have scored vs. Brazil but **** happens. Issey is a really quick and explosive player and can beat his man. He fits in with the current group as he has a really nice touch and keeps the ball close to him, you can just tell he is a really skilled player (vs. haiti when he won the penalty is a good example of his speed, skill and technique).

There is a reason he is being linked with AZ Alkmaar after just one successful season with FCN

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Agreed. Barring injury, I sense the side that started against Brazil will be, for better or worse, the one that goes on the pitch for the first match of qualifying.

Besides, the manager won't have the distraction of a mid-summer tourney with the "B" MNT vs the stellar likes of Millwall to overrate the capabilities of some of his playing candidates.

Offensive lineup:

<center>Hirschfeld/Onstad

Stalteri - Serioux/Hainault - McKenna - Kluko/Brennan

JDG/(Imhof/Nsaliwa) - Hutchinson/de Jong

Radzinski/Hume - De Rosario - Nakajima

Gerba/Friend</center>

Defensive lineup:

<center>Hirschfeld/Onstad

Stalteri - McKenna/Hainault - Hastings - Kluko/Brennan

(Imhof/Nsaliwa)

JDG/Serioux - Hutchinson/de Jong

Radzinski - De Rosario/Nakajima

Gerba/Friend

</center>

Hume ahead of Hastings for home games, Hastings' experience over Hume for away games. Imhof gets in if we can't sort out Tam's situation.

Notable reserves:

GK: Sutton

RB: Ihemelu

CB: Edgar

LB: Simpson

CM: Imhof (if Tam gets in ahead of him)

CM: Ornoch

AM: Jonathan de Guzman [8D]

ST: Occean

I don't know why people are doubting Radz as a starter. Radz is the one that that sets up the forwards. His passing is almost perfect. I am not so sure of Issey.

I would put these 6 players: Dero/Radz/DeGuz/Stalteri/Hutch/Friend as the must have starters for Canada. The other starters are probably only slightly better/or equal to the quality of players on the bench.

I am not including players that were not available in the past couple of months...so there might an addition to increase this core to 7 players (McKenna/Edgar/Imhoff?). If all these guys are healthy, Canada is in great shape for this round of qualifying.

I would start Brennan on the fieldturf in Toronto. To me that is enough to put him in the starting lineup.

Also not including Nsaliwa due to his passport issues.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Issey has impressed me over the past games. He scored in the 1st SVG game and had a goal wrongly disallowed in the 2nd game. Should have scored vs. Brazil but **** happens. Issey is a really quick and explosive player and can beat his man. He fits in with the current group as he has a really nice touch and keeps the ball close to him, you can just tell he is a really skilled player (vs. haiti when he won the penalty is a good example of his speed, skill and technique).

There is a reason he is being linked with AZ Alkmaar after just one successful season with FCN

To me, vs brazil, Issey was probably worst player on the pitch. He panicked when he had the ball, his crossing was abysmal, and him not scoring on that 1 on 1 is bad enough, but entirely missing the target is brutal. At least make the keeper make the save.

I actually do rate Issey, and see him as a decent backup on the wings, but right now, I dont think he deserves to be in the first 11 (and is a questionable top 18) if everyone is healthy. He really needs to work on not giving possesion away so cheaply, so often.

Besides, the manager won't have the distraction of a mid-summer tourney with the "B" MNT vs the stellar likes of Millwall to overrate the capabilities of some of his playing candidates.

are we sure that there wont be any summer activity this year?? has it been ruled out by Mitch?

Archived