Canada gets spot in CONCACAF Champions League

Haven't seen this posted here yet. I think it has enough CanCon in it that it passes the smell test for this board.

MOve it to the club board if you see fit, but, as I said, the inclusion of a Canadian spot in this tournament could have benefits for the sport as a whole.

quote:

NEW YORK (Monday, 28 January 2008) - CONCACAF (Confederation of North,

Central American and Caribbean Association Football) announced today the

official launch of the new continental club championship, the CONCACAF

Champions League which will commence in August 2008. The CONCACAF

Champions League will replace the Champions' Cup which will cease to exist

after the 2008 edition.

The CONCACAF Champions League will see a Confederation record number of 24

teams from all sectors of the CONCACAF region participating. The

preliminary round begins in August 2008 with the first CONCACAF Champions

League winner to be crowned in late April 2009.

The CONCACAF Champions League will feature four teams from Mexico and USA;

three Caribbean sides; two clubs each from Costa Rica, El Salvador,

Guatemala, Honduras, Panama; and one representative coming from Canada,

Belize, and Nicaragua.

Eight clubs (two Mexican, two USA, one each from Costa Rica, Honduras,

Guatemala, El Salvador) will be seeded and progress directly to the first

round of the CONCACAF Champions League, while the Caribbean slots have been

increased to three teams for this event.

The remaining 16 teams will be paired in eight home-and-away preliminary

match-ups taking place from 26-28 August and 2-4 September.

The preliminary round winners will join the other eight seeded teams in the

group stage that consists of four groups of four. All the teams in each

group will play each other in a round-robin system during six match dates

(three home games, three away games) from 16 September - 30 October.

The top two clubs from each group will advance to the knock out phase

playing home-and-away elimination. The quarterfinals commence in February

2009; semifinals begin in March; and the Finals will take place in late

April.

The CONCACAF Champions League winner will qualify as the CONCACAF's

representative to the 2009 edition of the FIFA Club World Cup.

2008-09 CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Calendar of Events

End July: All qualification completed, draw for preliminary round

26-28 August: Preliminary Round, First-legs

2-4 September: Preliminary Round, Second-legs

Early September: Group Stage Schedule Announced

16-18 September: Group Stage - Match Day 1

23-25 September: Group Stage - Match Day 2

30 September - 2 October: Group Stage - Match Day 3

7-9 October: Group Stage - Match Day 4

21-23 October: Group Stage - Match Day 5

28-30 October: Group Stage - Match Day 6

24-26 February: Quarterfinals, First-legs

3-5 March: Quarterfinals, Second-legs

17-19 March: Semifinals, First-legs

7-9 April: Semifinals, Second-legs

21-23 April: Final, First-leg

28-30 April: Final, Second-leg

December: FIFA Club World Cup

Here's the link from MLS.

The schedule looks brutal with potentially 8 games in basically September/October. Plus the knockout rounds starting at the end of February.

Anyhow, I think this press release gets released every year. I assume since it's posted on the MLS website it gives it a bit of credibility, but who knows.

Doesn't say anything about how the Canadian team will be selected. But it does say all qualifying must be completed by the end of July.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Doesn't say anything about how the Canadian team will be selected.

The Voyageurs Cup thread in the "Voyageurs" section of this forum indicates that the MLS and USL teams expect that a 'new' Voyageurs Cup tournament would select Canada's entry.

Here's the link from MLS.

Anyhow, I think this press release gets released every year. I assume since it's posted on the MLS website it gives it a bit of credibility, but who knows.

I know what you are saying, and there is some truth to it. However, this is, by far, the most details CONCACAF has ever released about this. In the past, the press releases have always been about its "plans" to create a CL. Now, it would appear, they have.

America (or Guadalajara, or Pachuca, or...) at BMO in September in a competitive match? Three years ago you would have been laughed of the board for suggesting the possibility. Now, it really could happen. That's good news for Canadian soccer...

I think the qualifying for the Champions league should include four Canadian teams. TFC, Vancouver, Montreal, and who ever wins the CSL's Canada cup. This would at least allow some money to trickle down into the CSL's teams, give the league some legitimacy (which it really does not have) and insure there is some long term viability CSL. Even though the CSL is kind of a joke, we can agree a little extra money couldn’t hurt anything.

Basically a four team group, they all play a game against each other. Then the top two teams play for the spot. I think now that we have a spot in the Champions league the goal should be to get more pro teams so we can qualify two teams in the near future, and the long term goal (10-20 years) of possibly three teams.

So 8 teams get a bye into the group stage and the other 16 will have to go through a 2-leg head-to-head prelim. round. Our Canadian rep. will have to qualify against one of the other 15 wannabes. Those could be one of 2 US, 2 Mexican, 1 CR, 1 HON, 1 GUA, 1 ES and 3 caribbean, 2 Panamanian, 1 Belizean, 1 Nicaraguan. So depending on the draw we (TFC, Van, Mtl) could be facing the likes of Toluca, FC Dallas, Alajuelense, Marathon or we could be playing the likes of Joe Public, Belize FC, Real Esteli etc. I'm thinking the prelim. round needs a seeding system too....

As for how the breakdown amongst rep. countries, i think Canada within a couple of years of play will be switching spots with either an ES or Panama. Our rep. should routinely fare better than some of the weaker clubs from latin america...

Question: I think this is great, but will any Canadian club, even Toronto FC bother to play given the expense. time and low payoff. Also, will Toronto FC be able to qualify as a finalist in the MLS , or will that only be reserved for the "American" MLS teams?

quote:Originally posted by finchster

I think the qualifying for the Champions league should include four Canadian teams. TFC, Vancouver, Montreal, and who ever wins the CSL's Canada cup. This would at least allow some money to trickle down into the CSL's teams, give the league some legitimacy (which it really does not have) and insure there is some long term viability CSL. Even though the CSL is kind of a joke, we can agree a little extra money couldn’t hurt anything.

Basically a four team group, they all play a game against each other. Then the top two teams play for the spot. I think now that we have a spot in the Champions league the goal should be to get more pro teams so we can qualify two teams in the near future, and the long term goal (10-20 years) of possibly three teams.

Why only the CSL, its not like the CSL clubs are really professional, the league even dropped the word from its name? There are other just as deserving regional leagues/champions to consider across the country and besides, why not the winner of the CSA club nationals?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Why only the CSL, its not like the CSL clubs are really professional, the league even dropped the word from its name? There are other just as deserving regional leagues/champions to consider across the country and besides, why not the winner of the CSA club nationals?

Well perhaps then a competition between the winners of these leagues to play TFC, Vancouver, Montreal? I don't care open it up to other teams and leauges as well.

More of the idea I had was to find away to somehow use this qualification to funnel money to lower levels of the game in Canada. From TV revenue to prize money, that was my main idea.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Question: I think this is great, but will any Canadian club, even Toronto FC bother to play given the expense. time and low payoff. Also, will Toronto FC be able to qualify as a finalist in the MLS , or will that only be reserved for the "American" MLS teams?

Seeing as CONCACAF has budget to fully finance beach soccer tournaments, and considering home gates, I'm guessing it should be pretty feasible for any of the three pro teams to compete in the CCL.

Yes, we would care about this tournament. If the Impact qualify, we are looking at terribly tight scheduling, I assume vancouver is as well. But really, chose what game you'ld put forth an effort into: USL or CONCACAF Champions League?

Yeah, the CCL is the obvious choice for USL teams and bottom tier MLS teams.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

CONCACAF says it is paying all club expenses.

TFC will need to qualify through a Canadian format. Only American teams can qualify through MLS.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

They would have to, I bet. Even a trip to El Salvador could conceivably kill the budget of some of the poorest clubs in the region. A Belizean club, for instance, can't have much cash to throw around, Champions League or no Champions League.

They're probably going to work it out among the three big clubs in Canada, even though they don't play in a canadian league. I suppose they are more prepare for something like this, but eventually they're will have a canadian open cup format and the winner should be the representative.

Using FIFA world rankings:

4 from:

(15) Mexico

(20) USA

3 from the Caribbean (which contains):

(98) Jamaica

(78) T&T

(73) Haiti

2 from:

(54) Honduras

(64) Panama

(69) Costa Rica

(105) Guatamela

(135) El Salvador

1 from:

(56) Canada

(158) Nicaragua

(201) Belize

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Using FIFA world rankings:

4 from:

(15) Mexico

(20) USA

3 from the Caribbean (which contains):

(98) Jamaica

(78) T&T

(73) Haiti

2 from:

(54) Honduras

(64) Panama

(69) Costa Rica

(105) Guatamela

(135) El Salvador

1 from:

(56) Canada

(158) Nicaragua

(201) Belize

THREE from Haiti? are they joking!!!!

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

On a random note, Does anyone have an approximate estimation as to how much money is given to the winner of the CCC? I know its quite lucrative if a team makes it to the UEFA Champions League.

Cheers

Prize money is driven by sponsorship and TV money. Initially, CONCACAF will pump money into the competition to prop it up while it finds its feet in the hope that it will eventually become both lucrative and self-funding. Simply put, if the people like it, it will become attractive to the corporate and TV types, who will put money into it. If that money pot grows, the prize money will go up. I daresay it will never be in the same universe, nevermind league, as the UEFA Champions' League, for prize money. It might be worth a few bucks as a gateway for the champion into the Club World Cup and a shot at the big boys from Europe and South America.

• 1 month later...

Has there been anything more about this and/or the Canadian participant?

This is supposed to start in 5 months.

We should here something very soon.(This week)

There are 2 games on Fox today including De Ro,Onstad and Houston v Municipal 7pm Pacific.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

We should here something very soon.(This week)

There are 2 games on Fox today including De Ro,Onstad and Houston v Municipal 7pm Pacific.

So nothing yet on the Canadian front but yesterday Houston tied nil nil with Municipal(Guatemala)and DC United also tied 1-1 with Harbour View(Jamaica). Saprissa(Costa Rica)currently leading Atlante(Mexico)1 nil.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

So nothing yet on the Canadian front but yesterday Houston tied nil nil with Municipal(Guatemala)and DC United also tied 1-1 with Harbour View(Jamaica). Saprissa(Costa Rica)currently leading Atlante(Mexico)1 nil.

They are playing in the Concacaf Champions Cup this is the last edition of that tournament. The new Concacaf Champions League (with its new format) will replace the Champions Cup and is scheduled to begin in August or September if I'm not mistaken.

Archived