World Cup Draw

nolando

I'm not worried about Jamaica. I have no fear of Honduras for that matter. Our players can handle them.

What I do fear is playing in Honduras at high noon in July. And I fear the corrupt and cynical calls which we will experience by bribed referees in the matches against Honduras.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Honduras in Montreal or Atlantic Canada, Mexico in Edmonton as usual? (OK OK Honduras in TO if we have to play somebody in BMO - better not make it a Jamaican home game) Maybe we can fix the ticket sales so that all of the TFC season's tickets holders get in first and we can block out the Hondurans. Jamaica in Vancouver where they have virtual no immigrant presence. Can CSA resist not selling 20,000 tickets to see Jamaica, though?

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I'm not sure it could.

We got the traditional power and the toughest road opponent.

The consensus darkhorse in the region

A team that will could play two "home" games against us (Memo to CSA DO NOT SCHEDULE THE JAMAICA GAME IN TORONTO)

Isn't every game played in Toronto like a home game for the other team? Just look at the crowd that turned up for the Costa Rica match.

If we want a partisan home crowd for this round of qualifying, we'll need to play all of our games in Edmonton. There are large Latino communities in Toronto and Vancouver that stick together. I knew El Salvadorans in Vancouver who would get all fired up to support Honduras and Guatemala when Canada played them at Swangard. Even my Chilean friends who grew up in Vancouver would support the Central American teams against Canada. The same will hold true in Toronto. Since no Honduran in their right mind would choose to live in Edmonton, we should play them there in November. Fat chance of that happening, though, as we're now politically obligated to play all of our matches in Toronto.

There's a club in St. Vincent called High Times. And another one of their players plays in USVI with a club called Positive Vibes.

Groovy.

St.V&G are getting older. Rodney Jack is in his mid-30s, same with Ezra Hendrickson. But they should be a tricky first round opponent.

cheers,

matthew

I'm not sure it could.

We got the traditional power and the toughest road opponent.

The consensus darkhorse in the region

A team that will could play two "home" games against us (Memo to CSA DO NOT SCHEDULE THE JAMAICA GAME IN TORONTO)

Well away support will be massive for Mexico. There were a ton of hondurans who made it Edm last time. And, if tey can make it to EDM, they can sure as hell make it to Toronto.

We need to have Mexico at home as our last game in this group. At that time, I'm hoping they'll already be qualify and it would be a good opponent for us if we're in need of points.

Wasn't the 1993 WCQ game against Mexico like an away game for us? Mexico should be played in Newfoundland in November.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I don't recall Toronto being a hot-bed of Honduran support, no reason not to play that game there. It's not a hot bed of Mexican support either - they will show up just about anywhere in Canada.

I would agree with playing Jamaica elsewhere though.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what we think, or what makes sense.

The only thing we can count on is that the CSA will schedule the matches in whatever manner and location is most advantageous to our opponents.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I don't recall Toronto being a hot-bed of Honduran support, no reason not to play that game there. It's not a hot bed of Mexican support either - they will show up just about anywhere in Canada.

I would agree with playing Jamaica elsewhere though.

How tickets are allotted will be critical for the Toronto game(s) and maybe for the outcome of the games or even the whole campaign for that matter. I see no reason why we couldnt rig the sales so that we get Canadians who love Canada best of all in those seats before the rest of the turncoats and traveling fans from the opposing countries. What happened in Vancouver still makes me sick to my stomach: "fake" Canadians cheering for other countries and silent white anglophones taking an evening nap.

As concerned supporters of the Canadian senior team, we should start a grassroots campaign to petition FIFA to appoint European officials for our qualifying games. The CSA has never managed to build enough clout at the 'Friends of Jack and Chuck-club' to have our grievances heard, so we need to go over their heads to FIFA. Anybody here happen to be personal friends with Sepp Blatter?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Wasn't the 1993 WCQ game against Mexico like an away game for us?

Yes, but that was due to all the Mexicans in the American Northeast travelling up to see the game.

The same would hold true for games in Montreal and Ottawa, I think.

Further to my post above... Maybe we *CAN* make a difference. We've seen the CSA respond to media pressure / embarrassment in the past. We will have lots of time to organize this time. If we can get some prominent media outlets to run stories about the past failures of the CSA to arrange favourable venues and start times for our home matches, in the weeks leadng up to deciding those details, perhaps we can force them to do something that might benefit Canada. Otherwise they will just do the usual and schedule things to benefit our opponents and hurt us.

Lets break it down:

USA - the favourite

Guatemala - Will be in tough with both T&T and Cuba

T&T - made the world cup in 06 but won't have an easy semi round this time

Cuba - Definitely could upset both Guatemala and T&T.

Mexico - The favourite but lost to Honduras in the GC

Jamaica - Didn't make the Gold Cup, had a brutal tour through SE Asia

Honduras - Lost to Guadeloupe in GC, also beat Cuba 5-0

Canada - Has a MUCH better chance than last time around.

Costa Rica - Easier group than 06 but are they a better team?

Guyana - This is assuming they make it this far.

Panama - Has to beat El Salvador.

Haiti - on the upswing, its good we avoided them.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

As concerned supporters of the Canadian senior team, we should start a grassroots campaign to petition FIFA to appoint European officials for our qualifying games. The CSA has never managed to build enough clout at the 'Friends of Jack and Chuck-club' to have our grievances heard, so we need to go over their heads to FIFA. Anybody here happen to be personal friends with Sepp Blatter?

Actually this almost makes sense. A pre-emptive strike. Is there any way we can influence the CSA to negotiate hard for UEFA referees, at least at our home matches? Now is the time to start.

As somebody else said, the only way to lockout the Hondurans, Mexicans, and Jamaicans, would be to give TFC season ticket holders priority prior to any seats going on general sale. Then you'd have to emotionally blackmail any scalpers from selling to opposing fans as a matter of patriotism. In Vancouver, there is nothing that could be done to shut the Latinos from buying up the tickets. Long term, there needs to be a priority ticketing scheme set up by the CSA which would give Canada supporters nationwide the chance to buy up the seats before general sale as the best means of ensuring the greatest home support at these matches.

No, the comment was based on the fact that Toronto only drew 9000 or so, meaning that if thats the most canadian fans toronto can bring out, then it would seem as though that leaves over 50% of seats available for away supporters.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

We need to have Mexico at home as our last game in this group. At that time, I'm hoping they'll already be qualify and it would be a good opponent for us if we're in need of points.

Wasn't the 1993 WCQ game against Mexico like an away game for us? Mexico should be played in Newfoundland in November.

But that game meant whomever won, qualified. This one won't be as important.

I don't know.

I'm not sure anyone at the CSA will be able to talk there way out of NOT making an effort to maximize whatever advantages they can for the home fixtures this time around. Thinking there will be a lot more attention paid to how this round of qualifying is handled than has been the case in the past.

That being said, matches will have to be played in Toronto (just not Jamaica). Honduras and Mexico sure. Big enough matches to be marketable to TFC fans. If MLSE and the CSA can work together on promoting these matches and giving the TFC supporters 1st crack at tickets that's a lot of seats that the enemy will be shut out of. But of course the ticket distribution scheme HAS to be intelligent and as biased to Canadians as much we can legally get away with.

I'll tell you what. If there was ever a chance for the folks out in Saint John's to bring MNT football back to King George V the Jamaica match is it. Some people out there better start getting their brains and wallets together.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

As somebody else said, the only way to lockout the Hondurans, Mexicans, and Jamaicans, would be to give TFC season ticket holders priority prior to any seats going on general sale. Then you'd have to emotionally blackmail any scalpers from selling to opposing fans as a matter of patriotism. In Vancouver, there is nothing that could be done to shut the Latinos from buying up the tickets. Long term, there needs to be a priority ticketing scheme set up by the CSA which would give Canada supporters nationwide the chance to buy up the seats before general sale as the best means of ensuring the greatest home support at these matches.

Very good point! I agree completely. Scalpers are the problem.

Archived