World Cup Draw

nolando

quote:Originally posted by loyola

St-Vincent are just like Guadeloupe, they could surprise us. They are no Belize.

There is a difference between being cautious and respecting your opponent, and being unnecessarily pessimistic.

This team has two players playing in a professional division one league outside of the Caribbean. The player playing the highest level is likely a 35-year-old back-up MLS defender.

I'm not suggesting that we are going to rip this team apart, but a 4-0, 5-0 type final isn't out of the question.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by loyola

St-Vincent are just like Guadeloupe, they could surprise us. They are no Belize.

It doesn't appear from their roster that they are as strong as Guadeloupe, although they do appear to be stronger than Belize.

We should definitely be taking them seriously, but we also should be confident of a comfortable victory.

Well. going by that video, St. V certainly don't look too sound tactically or very organized. Appear to be very athletic however, which is I guess what one would expect from a small Carib side. If that's what we face next year I'm not too worried. But, let's say they go out and hire a mid-level Brazilian coach who gets them organized and playing as a team... and then one or two English, French, or Dutch nationals suddenly discover their Caribbean roots in time to play for their Granddad's country.... combined with these guys' great pace and strength, and we could be facing a very dangerous opponent.

Guest Jeffery S.

What a load of crap posts on this thread about away supporters and about going to Central America like it was Darfur and basically a whole load of hot feces about this round.

All evidence shows that we do not have a better record at home, we do not play worse before a hostile crowd, we actually can get decent results with no supporters in the stands. So bury all that, who gives a damn. The best thing is to be better on the pitch and defy what will almost be inevitable in the stands, a decent contingent of opposing team supporters. But great, now we learn that a Canadian can't walk around DF with a Canada shirt on, really, I don't know where you invent such rubbish. Hey, lets all stay at home, the air is not so nice in Mexico.

But how is it that after decades of competing in the region we still think about Central America with fear? What a bunch of provincial bumpkins, never been across the street without mom holding our hands. I mean what a terrible insult to our players, who have been all over the world; and what a narrow mentality from the fans, let the players go to that stinkhole but I sure won't; and what an indictment of the program, which should be taking the players to Guatemala for Thanksgiving and Honduras for Easter every year as part of the deal of company perks. I'd do a tour of CA and if some weird mosquito does not bite us along the way or we don't come down with some other virus or the geomancy doesn't seem to make us dizzy, then we'll know it is alright to go, compete and win a few out there.

The only real problem guys and dolls is that we are coached and the program is run way below the level of the players, and they have to play against bad coaching, bad logistics even, bad organization, and in the end the only bag of urine that really makes a difference is the one with our pee in it we toss on our own silly heads.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

What a load of crap posts on this thread about away supporters and about going to Central America like it was Darfur and basically a whole load of hot feces about this round.

All evidence shows that we do not have a better record at home, we do not play worse before a hostile crowd, we actually can get decent results with no supporters in the stands. So bury all that, who gives a damn. The best thing is to be better on the pitch and defy what will almost be inevitable in the stands, a decent contingent of opposing team supporters. But great, now we learn that a Canadian can't walk around DF with a Canada shirt on, really, I don't know where you invent such rubbish. Hey, lets all stay at home, the air is not so nice in Mexico.

But how is it that after decades of competing in the region we still think about Central America with fear? What a bunch of provincial bumpkins, never been across the street without mom holding our hands. I mean what a terrible insult to our players, who have been all over the world; and what a narrow mentality from the fans, let the players go to that stinkhole but I sure won't; and what an indictment of the program, which should be taking the players to Guatemala for Thanksgiving and Honduras for Easter every year as part of the deal of company perks. I'd do a tour of CA and if some weird mosquito does not bite us along the way or we don't come down with some other virus or the geomancy doesn't seem to make us dizzy, then we'll know it is alright to go, compete and win a few out there.

The only real problem guys and dolls is that we are coached and the program is run way below the level of the players, and they have to play against bad coaching, bad logistics even, bad organization, and in the end the only bag of urine that really makes a difference is the one with our pee in it we toss on our own silly heads.

Man you need to take some hostility management counseling, Jefferey.

Yikes. Who peed in your cornflakes?

Hey, the players will be well protected by security in those countries. They aren't in any real physical danger. That's not necessarily the case for a single Canadian fan amongst a sea of opposing supporters.

I don't know about you, but I surely wouldn't want to be walking alone wearing a Canada shirt through Tegucigalpa after a Canada victory, trying to find a cab to take me back to my hotel.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Man you need to take some hostility management counseling, Jefferey.

What you need is to spell the name of the person you are counselling correctly, otherwise you create estrangement and delegitimate your claim to offer concerned advice.

I am not angry, and don't have hostility towards anyone. The lion lies down with the lamb and all my spears are now used for pruning, you know how it is. I even spend a few days a year in meditation (a lie).

But too many Canadian fans post and think like pure losers, it is totally pathetic to see. I am ashamed of those 30% of you who went to the local plastic surgery centre to get a tail added just so you could stuff it royally between your legs everytime world cup qualifying comes along.

For those of you who are Manx, congratulations.

Not sure if it has been posted, the full draw is on this pdf:

http://es.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/preldraw/fifa_prel_draw_results_29101.pdf

Honduras does scare me but do they have anyone playing at a high level in Europe other than Suazo for Inter, Alvarez in Livorno and Palacios in Bimingham? I got these three names from their wikipedia page as playing in their last friendly but I wonder if there are more Hondurans out there in Spain, or even a top flight league in Mexico or South America? We definitely have no one to match Suazo's talent up front but we do seem to have more overall depth and quality... on paper.

quote:Honduras does scare me but do they have anyone playing at a high level in Europe other than Suazo for Inter, Alvarez in Livorno and Palacios in Bimingham? I got these three names from their wikipedia page as playing in their last friendly but I wonder if there are more Hondurans out there in Spain, or even a top flight league in Mexico or South America? We definitely have no one to match Suazo's talent up front but we do seem to have more overall depth and quality... on paper.

Did you forget Carlos Pavon?

I'm also a little worried with our first round home-and-away as our coach thinks we are playing St.Kitts and not St.Vincent as quoted on FIFA.com

Also been spying around on some US soccer sites and they are all talking about our group of death... they hope that we get through so they might be able to travel to Canada during the Hex.

Do you wake up in the morning and flip a coin? "Heads I'm a normal person, tails I'm a huge, condescending ass..."

Off course your right ..the average CSA..guy..gal..is scared silly of even going to Glengarry...let alone to the wilds of Para....

to see game or take team on tour.

quote:Originally posted by TOcanadafan

Honduras does scare me but do they have anyone playing at a high level in Europe other than Suazo for Inter, Alvarez in Livorno and Palacios in Bimingham? I got these three names from their wikipedia page as playing in their last friendly but I wonder if there are more Hondurans out there in Spain, or even a top flight league in Mexico or South America? We definitely have no one to match Suazo's talent up front but we do seem to have more overall depth and quality... on paper.

But how is it that after decades of competing in the region we still think about Central America with fear? What a bunch of provincial bumpkins, never been across the street without mom holding our hands.

And here i thought we were all just starting to get along ;>

damn, had some techinical dificulties. Honduras fan living in Canada. The name of Honduran players playing abroad are :

DAVID SUAZO -INTER

"RAMBO" DE LEON - GENOA

EDGAR ALVAREZ - LIVORNO

WILSON PALACIOS -BIRMINGHAM

CARLOS PAVON - LA GALAXY

IVAN GUERRERO - CHICAGO FIRE

RAMON NUNEZ - CHIVAS USA

PERI MARTINEZ - BEIJING Guo'an (CHINA)

CARLO COSTLY - GKS Be³chatów (POLAND)

MAYNOR SUAZO -KOLN (GERMANY)

SAMUEL CABALLERO - CANGCHUN YATAI (CHINESE CHAMPION)

There is also Amado Guevara who is going back to the MLS next season as well as a possibility that this years MLS MVP Luciano Emilio might play for Honduras (nobody is sure if this is happening). Along with these are some young guys playing in both Nacional and Penarol in Uruguay but these guys are a long shot since they are 16 and 17 but from what I hear they are actually pretty good...

How would other countries fare if they were in Canada's shoes in this projected group of death, I wonder?

Mexico would qualify 10 times out of 10, but I think a lot of decent sides would have some trouble. The US, maybe 9/10 Costa Rica 7/10 T&T no better than 6/10 ....countries in other zones too - I'd only give Japan 8/10 and none of the African countries would walk through this group 10 times out of 10 either. Dare I say that the current England side would have some trouble as well (maybe 9/10).

Ah well...idle speculation, but I would say that Canada should qualify from the group 5 times out of 10, meaning it's a coin flip whether or not we will get out of this group. One thing's sure, if we get through this group we will be very well prepared for the final HEX, which is better than Costa Rica's situation.

There is also Amado Guevara who is going back to the MLS next season as well as a possibility that this years MLS MVP Luciano Emilio might play for Honduras

I will risk being called a coward and say that this possibility concerns me. Having said that, though, DDR's MLS resume or highlight video alone(which must be about five hours long now) would scare unsuspecting opposing into thinking that he is a deadly threat come WCQ time, something that is certainly almost never the case.

Hugo Sanchez, Mexico (coach):

"Teams have improved a lot in the CONCACAF region. With our history, Mexico look the strongest team but in practice you've got to out and play these games and the sides we're facing have got much better. We're going to prepare properly to make sure there are no surprises and get the results we need. Honduras will be dangerous opponents as we played them in the Gold Cup and they beat us. They've got players in Europe and that shows they've come on. We'll make sure our preparations are right so we can win the game and qualify for the final group."

Dale Mitchell (Canada coach): "It's tough for everybody now in CONCACAF. You have a lot of good teams and you can't take anyone for granted. If we get through to the first group stage we'll probably meet Mexico, who everybody knows is great, Jamaica who can cause problems and Honduras who are very dangerous. Also, we got hit with the highest of the low-ranked teams in St. Kitts and Nevis in our first game. That's good though, we'll have to be ready to go right from the beginning. We still have six months to go before qualifying and we're just in the beginning of starting to get things ready, so we're not worried."

quote:Originally posted by suavecito07

Dale Mitchell (Canada coach): ...we got hit with the highest of the low-ranked teams in St. Kitts and Nevis in our first game. That's good though, we'll have to be ready to go right from the beginning. We still have six months to go before qualifying and we're just in the beginning of starting to get things ready, so we're not worried."

St. Kitts?, Mitchell can't even get his first excuse right.

I like his phrases:

...have to be ready to go right from the beginning.

...we still have six months to go

and the best of them all:

...we are not worried.

Goshdammit, guys! Sure this is a tough group, but nothing about qualifying was going to be easy anyways, so let's keep our peckers up, eh? Realistically, we will face poor officiating no matter what (maybe not Mexican poor officiating this time, but poor officiating all the same), we will face hostile crowds at home and away, and we will be in tough against gritty, physical and sometimes talented football teams.

The upside this time around is that, yes, we need to be ready to go from the very first game and cannot let off at any point. But guess what? We would have had to do this to be successful no matter the group.

Tough group?: Yes. Tough shi.t?: Yes

time to step up.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

St. Kitts?, Mitchell can't even get his first excuse right.

I like his phrases:

...have to be ready to go right from the beginning.

...we still have six months to go

and the best of them all:

...we are not worried.

Seriously ..how does he put his pants on in the morning ..or by a plane ticket..not as wonder the had a manager with him in Durban to help him get cab..if he really said St. Kits he needs to be riduculed...

Archived