World Cup Draw

nolando

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

If we prepare reasonably, we have as good a shot at advancing as anyone. If we prepare, and don't, then we will have no excuses.

No amount of preparation seems to help Dale Mitchell coached teams.

Lets just hope the players get together and say "lets do this for Canada" and get the job done.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

No amount of preparation seems to help Dale Mitchell coached teams.

Lets just hope the players get together and say "lets do this for Canada" and get the job done.

Since the team can work and win, and perhaps the coach is not the best to lead them in that task, there is only one solution: the players effectively coach themselves on the field. Since in soccer you have to do this anyways all the time as there are no time-outs and instructions shouted in are often minimal and not overly effective (unless you decide to change player positions, move your left wing to the right, play with three at the back instead of four), players should be able to do this.

In this case I say that they need to take it on themselves to play the way they know they can, the right way, playing to their strengths. If the coach has stuck someone in the wrong place, then all he should do is try to be effective, even if that means moving in a different way, as if in a different position.

This is essentially what Barça did the year Robson coached here. He was a nice guy but had no authority and worse language and not even his translator (Mourinho, the translator) could help. The team decided on its own how to play the crucial games, talking amongst themselves. This is a slight against Robson, and sure, we did not win the league, but it made sense. Mature players taking on responsibility for making it work. There is no reason why not.

D-I-Y CANADA!

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I believe you and few others felt this happened during our recent Gold Cup, and I tend to think that may have transpired.

Exactly. The coach can totally screw up things through player selection, but if Mitchell, like Hart, can put pretty much our best 11 on the field for a few games, gain some familiarity, I think we will perform well in WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Since the team can work and win, and perhaps the coach is not the best to lead them in that task, there is only one solution: the players effectively coach themselves </u> on the field.

I understand this point, but I do have reservations about when the players' sphere of influence expands toward other areas, especially specific player selection. You could really open up a Pandora's box, IMO, but I don't think anyone here has advocated that idea.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I understand this point, but I do have reservations about when the players' sphere of influence expands toward other areas, especially specific player selection. You could really open up a Pandora's box, IMO, but I don't think anyone here has advocated that idea.

Players are human.

Where the coach is going to count is changing things when it is needed. That is a lot harder for players to just 'do' when they are involved in a game and may get tunnel vision.

This is where we are weak, adapting. Canadian coaches seem to get substitution paralysis.

It is also hard for players to make changes to set plays even if they are good ones. If the coach says "please overkick the ball to Devos at the back post again and again and again...." Well the first player to not do that a couple of times in a row is going to get a testicle torn off.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

WTF? Aren't people from Barbados supposed to "Bajans"? I'm thinking this is fake...

Looks real enough to me. Remember, it's not that long ago that the CSA's site looked so amateur that people from real footballing countries might have thought the same thing.

Thinking of the way that Bircham was found and so often used, it might not hurt for Canada to make our search for quasi-Canadians public too.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Looks real enough to me. Remember, it's not that long ago that the CSA's site looked so amateur that people from real footballing countries might have thought the same thing.

Thinking of the way that Bircham was found and so often used, it might not hurt for Canada to make our search for quasi-Canadians public too.

It's not the amateur look of the website that i was commenting on. It's the fact that their supposed own website incorrectly calls them Barbadians. There's no such thing as a Barbadian, they're called Bajans. It's like the Japanese site calling out to all Japanians...

quote:Originally posted by loyola

You should know that "Bajans" is slang and that Barbadians is the official demonym....

OK I got that on wikipedia....

Really? I stand corrected...goes to show you sometimes having a Barbadian ;) co-worker does not make you an expert...

Archived