World Cup Draw

nolando

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

170 countries for Sunday's World Cup draw

By Mark Gleeson

DURBAN, Nov 22 (Reuters) - A total of 170 countries will go into Sunday's draw for the 2010 World Cup preliminary competition being held in Durban, FIFA said on Thursday.

The teams will be chasing 31 places at the World Cup finals to be hosted by South Africa in 30 months' time.

A total of 205 countries entered the preliminaries but five have since withdrawn and a further 30 were eliminated in pre-preliminary matches played in the Africa, Asia and Oceania confederations.

The draw comes four months after the 2010 preliminary campaign kicked off in Samoa in August.

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said the seeding for qualifying groups in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Concacaf region, made up of countries in central and north America and the Caribbean, had been determined.

However, he added that it needed to be ratified by the competition's organising committee, which meets in Durban on Saturday, before being announced.

The FIFA rankings are being used to determine the seeds for the various continental qualification groups.

Sunday's draw will see Asia's groups drawn first, followed by those in the Concacaf region, Europe and then Africa. There is no draw for South America and the Oceania region, who have already started their preliminary competition.

A total of 861 qualifying matches will be played to determine the lineup for the 2010 World Cup finals. (Editing by Ken Ferris)

* All Concacaf's 35 members have entered four stages of qualifying, the first two of which will be played on a knockout basis. Twelve remaining sides will then be divided into three groups with the top two in each advancing to a final super group, from which the first three qualify for the World Cup and the fourth-placed team goes into a playoff against the fifth-placed South American side.

I would expect us to beat El Salvador, and they would provide a better test/preparation for the next round.

Of course the chances of actually getting knocked out after two games are higher with than any other of those teams, but it's still a team we should expect to beat & shouldn't be afraid of.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

What he said.

My understanding was that he was hoping that Canada draw US Virgin Islands as our opponent in the knockout stage. I answered I don't care who we get as long as it's not El Salvador. We can draw anybody who is ranked between #13 and #35 in the Concacaf. The only country that I'm afraid in those 23 nations is El Salvador.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I would expect us to beat El Salvador, and they would provide a better test/preparation for the next round.

Of course the chances of actually getting knocked out after two games are higher with than any other of those teams, but it's still a team we should expect to beat & shouldn't be afraid of.

I agree 100% with you but I still prefer drawing a minnow. I see El Salvador as the only potentially dangerous treat for us. All the other nations should be a walk in the park for Canada. :)

quote:Originally posted by Christian B.

My understanding was that he was hoping that Canada draw US Virgin Islands as our opponent in the knockout stage. I answered I don't care who we get as long as it's not El Salvador. We can draw anybody who is ranked between #13 and #35 in the Concacaf. The only country that I'm afraid in those 23 nations is El Salvador.

Me too. That was my point. I agree with you feeling about El Salvador, we can easily go down there and lose 2-0 and being in trouble for the return leg.

It's official, same format as last time. Here's the FIFA link (pdf file).

Draw is Sunday at 10 a.m. EST on FIFA.com. Is Sportsnet or anybody else showing this?

If I'm reading it correctly, the group stage basically comes down to:

Pot A - Mexico, USA, Costa Rica

Pot B - Honduras, Panama, T&T

Pot C - Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Guatemala, Canada, Guyana

So 1 team from A, 1 from B and 2 from C in each group.

If there are any upsets in stage 2, the winner replaces the team they beat in that group.

I guess ideally Canada's group would be Costa Rica, Panama and frankly whoever from Pot C.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

It's official, same format as last time. Here's the FIFA link (pdf file).

Draw is Sunday at 10 a.m. EST on FIFA.com. Is Sportsnet or anybody else showing this?

If I'm reading it correctly, the group stage basically comes down to:

Pot A - Mexico, USA, Costa Rica

Pot B - Honduras, Panama, T&T

Pot C - Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Guatemala, Canada, Guyana

So 1 team from A, 1 from B and 2 from C in each group.

If there are any upsets in stage 2, the winner replaces the team they beat in that group.

I guess ideally Canada's group would be Costa Rica, Panama and frankly whoever from Pot C.

So, we do find out the semi-final draw Sunday? I wasn't clear on that.

And, now I'm nervous. I don't care who we draw in the home and away--we'll win that round. But, the semi draw is key.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I disagree. El Salvador will be highly motived to progress far in the qualifying rounds. For them, the World Cup is everything, a matter of national pride. They will certainly give Canada a run for their money. Don't be misled by their past performances. That's all in the past. The World Cup is a whole different ball game, so don't be too dissapointed if we play them and lose.

quote:Originally posted by rodfern2007

I disagree. El Salvador will be highly motived to progress far in the qualifying rounds. For them, the World Cup is everything, a matter of national pride. They will certainly give Canada a run for their money. Don't be misled by their past performances. That's all in the past. The World Cup is a whole different ball game, so don't be too dissapointed if we play them and lose.

Don't be disappointed if we lose to El Salvador in the prelim. round? And you call yourself a Canadian supporter? <rips Corporal stripes off the shoulder of rodfern> You're demoted, Private...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Don't be disappointed if we lose to El Salvador in the prelim. round? And you call yourself a Canadian supporter? <rips Corporal stripes off the shoulder of rodfern> You're demoted, Private...

Maybe "don't be surprise" would be more accurate. And I know we capable of loosing a 2 games serie with El Salvador...:(

IMO

Easiest group

Costa Rica

Trinidad & Tobago

Guyana

Canada

If we couldn't qualify from this group, we might as well just stop trying.[V]

Worst Possible Group (Worse than 2006)

Mexico

Honduras

Canada

Take your pick from Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Cuba. My instinct still says Guatemala would be the worst of those, mostly due to the home crowd. Any one of them would give us a fair shake though.

If we were to get through this, I would expect us to either qualify outright in the hex, or get blown out of the water (having used up every bit of luck that's coming our way in the semi's[:P]).

Results of a Mock Draw:

Group A</u>

Costa Rica/Grenada/US Virgin Islands

Panama/St. Lucia/Aruba

Canada/Dominican Republic/British Virgin Islands

Haiti/Bermuda/Puerto Rico

Group B</u>

USA/St. Kitts/Anguilla

Honduras/Suriname/Montserrat

Guyana/Barbados/Dominica

Jamaica/El Salvador/Cayman Islands

Group C</u>

Mexico/St. Vincent

Trinidad & Tobago/Bahamas/Netherlands Antilles

Guatemala/Antigua & Barbuda/Turks & Caicos

Cuba/Nicaragua/Belize

I'd say this is a moderate/bad draw for us. Costa Rica is looking weaker these days, but both Haiti and Panama have looked much stronger in the past few years. Couple that with 2 trips to Central America and 1 to either Haiti or hot and humid Miami (aside: what is the current political situation in Haiti? Will they be able to host games?), means our qualification for the hex would be far from certain. Still, it seems like an improvement after that group from hell.

Footballfreak, your mock draw is actually a pretty easy group for us compared to some of the tougher possiblities. CR is the weakest of the Pot A teams, Panama (and T&T) are more beatable than Honduras and Haiti would mean we avoid either Guatemala or Jamaica who could make any group we're in alot bumpier. Obviously getting Guyana as a Pot C opponent is optimal. I just hope we avoid a group like this:

Mexico

Honduras

Canada

Jamaica

Archived