World Cup Draw

nolando

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Pretty much. The Collin Samuel of LA?

Carlos Costly will likely partner Suazo up top, he plays for a club in the 1st D in Poland. J.C. "Rambo" de Leon plays for Genoa in Serie A and is a top-notch FK taker, he has 2 goals this year. Then Amado Guevara, former MLS player is now back in Honduras playing for Motagua. There's also Ramon Nunez who is now with Chivas USA after being traded from FC Dallas. Maynor Suazo who is Davids' cousin plays in Turkey 1st D. There's also a bunch of depth guys playing in China. Likely Honduran starting XI:

-------------Pylon--------------

Pylon-----Pylon--Pylon------Pylon

-------------Palacios------------

Alvarez-------Guevara-------Leon

--------Costly-----Suazo--------

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Saw that, USA vs Cuba is going to be an interesting situation. Perhaps they'll be forced by the US government to play at a neutral venue... unless of course Hillary Clinton is president by then when common sense may at last prevail ;)

FIFA would rightly never allow this. If you are unwilling to travel to a country you would forfeit the match. I doubt there will be much difficulty in getting the US government to allow the team to travel to Cuba but whether fans will be allowed to travel is much more doubtful.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Carlos Costly will likely partner Suazo up top, he plays for a club in the 1st D in Poland. J.C. "Rambo" de Leon plays for Genoa in Serie A and is a top-notch FK taker, he has 2 goals this year. Then Amado Guevara, former MLS player is now back in Honduras playing for Motagua. There's also Ramon Nunez who is now with Chivas USA after being traded from FC Dallas. Maynor Suazo who is Davids' cousin plays in Turkey 1st D. There's also a bunch of depth guys playing in China. Likely Honduran starting XI:

-------------Pylon--------------

Pylon-----Pylon--Pylon------Pylon

-------------Palacios------------

Alvarez-------Guevara-------Leon

--------Costly-----Suazo--------

Anyone wanting a Coles Notes on Honduras . . .

There's months to talk about SV&G but I think they deserve some respect. They were six minutes away from finishing tied with T&T last time in the SF group and held Mexico to 0-1 at home. That's nothing to sneeze at. Their name players are getting old, but that doesn't mean there aren't some youngsters coming up to be worried about.

cheers,

matthew

Re Fifa not allowing the US Cuba match at a neutral site. They don't seem to have any trouble allowing Israel into Europe. Turkey has at least some territory in Europe. Israel by geography should be playing in Asia, but Fifa is not ignorant of the political consequences of that.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Re Fifa not allowing the US Cuba match at a neutral site. They don't seem to have any trouble allowing Israel into Europe. Turkey has at least some territory in Europe. Israel by geography should be playing in Asia, but Fifa is not ignorant of the political consequences of that.

There is a big difference between making an accomodation for a team whose lives are going to be threatened in many of their matches and between two teams whose governments just don't like each other.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

FIFA would rightly never allow this. If you are unwilling to travel to a country you would forfeit the match. I doubt there will be much difficulty in getting the US government to allow the team to travel to Cuba but whether fans will be allowed to travel is much more doubtful.

American athletes have traveled to Cuba to compete in the past notably during the Pan Am games. Which Cuba once hosted. Even CBS was there and i recall distinctly the constant whining and anti-cuba propaganda from brent Musburger

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think we can safely assume that the American team will not have trouble travelling to Cuba, while fans will probably not be allowed to do so.

I agree. I wonder what the situation will be wth North and South Korea having drawn the same group?

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Just wondering, Cuba and the USA will be in the same group, with the Americans be allowed to go to Cuba?

"Cultural" exchanges are permitted between the US and Cuba under current American law. sports are considered culture in that law.

American fans, on the other hand,will have difficulty traveling to the game. Well, difficulty traveling home from the game anyway...

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I agree. I wonder what the situation will be wth North and South Korea having drawn the same group?

Australia visiting Iraq has me more worried. You may recall the Aussies were involved in a little military operation there not to recently.

You may also recall that Iraq isn't all that stable and that the west isn't all that popular there. You would be a brave person--or Jeffrey, of course--to travel to that one as an away supporter!

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Australia visiting Iraq has me more worried. You may recall the Aussies were involved in a little military operation there not to recently.

You may also recall that Iraq isn't all that stable and that the west isn't all that popular there. You would be a brave person--or Jeffrey, of course--to travel to that one as an away supporter!

I haven't researched this but hasn't Iraq played a number of games in neighbouring?Jordan?

Iraq and Australia being drawn in the same group won't be a problem. They are already playing in the same qualifying group for the Beijing Olympics. Iraq doesn't play any games in Iraq. In fact, none of the team or staff actually goes home to Iraq ever out of fear for their safety.

Guest Jeffery S.

This continues to be the one of the most moronic threads in the history of The Voyageurs. What we have learnt about the world here is outstanding, extraordinary, about the Koreas, about Central America, about how chicken-sh-it our players must be to even think about travelling to all those dangerous countries out there, about sport between Cuba and the US. Comparing supporting Australia in Iraq, a country involved in an illegal war with its soldiers killing civilians, with travelling to Mexico to support Canada for a game. Amazing stuff guys.

The world is a dark, evil place, even darker and more sinister than my cave. I fear to venture out. Not even for a soccer match.

So anyone want to give us an idea of how Mexico, Honduras or Jamaica normally line-up, what are their strengths and possible weaknesses, how you think we should best play against them to get a result, if we need to change our system or think about certain players in function of them? Thought -along with a scarce few of you- that after 15 pages of fruit loop theories about the world it might be nice to actually talk about the draw and what it means for our chances.

Honduras felt hard done by in their Gold Cup and other matches vs. Mexico, and it seems they were not given a fair shake. What did they do right to get so close to beating the Mexicans?

Give it a rest Jeffrey. You're beating a dead horse.

If watching matches as a visiting supporter isn't dangerous at all in any place in the world, as you seem to be professing, then why do some soccer stadiums have to physically seperate the fans with fences and then pack the stadium with just as many cops as spectators?

Take off your rose-coloured glasses and come back to reality.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

Give it a rest Jeffrey. You're beating a dead horse.

If watching matches as a visiting supporter isn't dangerous at all in any place in the world, as you seem to be professing, then why do some soccer stadiums have to physically seperate the fans with fences and then pack the stadium with just as many cops as spectators?

Take off your rose-coloured glasses and come back to reality.

Great, separate sections. We'll be enough to warrant a separate section in Mexico or Honduras, glad to hear it.

Now here's a tough question: how far can an average Mexican throw a plastic bag filled with piss? Does CONCACAF take the distance into account when setting up the visitor's section at Azteca?

NAFTA supporters need not answer.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Great, separate sections. We'll be enough to warrant a separate section in Mexico or Honduras, glad to hear it.

Now here's a tough question: how far can an average Mexican throw a plastic bag filled with piss? Does CONCACAF take the distance into account when setting up the visitor's section at Azteca?

NAFTA supporters need not answer.

I'm so glad you decided to run this thread right off the rails. I was getting bored reading about our potential opponents and discussing things soccer related.

Archived