New striker in town.......

gwsmith63

Guest Can. in UK

I reckon he'll be pretty effective in the MLS.

He's the slowest player I have ever seen but pretty lethal in the air. Good target man.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Uh-oh, Carlo Corazzin 2.0

I was thinking more like Kevin McKenna (when he plays up front) but with lead boots (i.e. Mr Piedlourd)

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Danny Dichio!! I have a vision of straws being clutched!

LOL.

When I saw that ugly mug on the articule feature the little bells were going off in my head. "Heeeey. I know that face."

And if that face belongs to the same player my (foggy) memmory wants to attach to it. Well. Oh-My-Gawd.

Can. in the U.K. sums up my thoughts exactly. Except I think he gives the man's pace more credit than I do. Slooooow. Strong, dirty player, good target man but sloooooow.

If he plays every match for the rest of the season and scores a goal from anything but a corner I'll eat my hat.

Good news is he should be in-form. Bad news is I'm not sure if Mo has a plan to properly fit him into things or is just thrashing about desperately (clutching at straws).

Also, we don't know if he's taken any knocks this year. Could be carrying some of those niggly injuries which are all the rage in the CCC this time of the year. And given Mo's luck with picking players who find injuries...

(I'll inject a disclaimer in all this in that my memmories have got to be from a few years ago. Derby seems to stick out. Appologies if I've mistaken Mr. Dichio for someone else).

Isn't he 32?!?!

I see Dichio in not that much different of a position that Pesch - old, slower, not preferred at his championship side. I doubt very much that Pesch would finish his career back in TO but it would be a hell of a story and it would be a hell of a lot better than bringing in Dichio. And did I read a three year contract?!? Even if you get a Pesch or even a Radz (who is admittedly a step up), I don't know if you want to be locking dinosaurs into three year deals. Maybe for the most unique of strikers at that age, like a Sheringham a couple years ago, but if he is already too slow?!!? Seems to be getting more NASL by the minute.

As somebody on the u-sector site (brilliant forum, BTW) so aptly pointed out, the guys they are bringing in are generally speaking not good enough to play regularly at the Championship level - does that mean we can assume that TFC is operating at a League 1 level at the moment? It certainly looks like it on paper and in the results.

Early days, but worrying days...

Slightly OT, but there was a time when people would fight for Vancouver Grizzlies tickets. Then they lost more than 80 percent of their games over their lifespan, and you couldnt give them away, even to elementary students. Can't believe that Toronto fans would be any less fickle than Vancouver's crop. Probably more, I'd imagine if the team really started to stink over the long term.

Still, I am cheering...and hoping for better quality.

Oh and Dichio's wife has an American passport - does that mean that a trade is possibly in the cards?

quote:Originally posted by villus

Juan Pablo Angel will tear up the MLS. He still has a lot of quality and is a great target man. If TFC could somehow snag him he would be the best striker in the MLS IMO.

Echo that. Long as he's serious about it all. Angel has been known to loose focus for a month or so every now and again.

Wow. Yeah. that would be pretty sweet.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Echo that. Long as he's serious about it all. Angel has been known to loose focus for a month or so every now and again.

Wow. Yeah. that would be pretty sweet.

Well, he has officially signed with RB New York. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/6563363.stm

Makes sense with the large Colombian population in New York and the new stadium next season.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Well, he has officially signed with RB New York. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/6563363.stm

Makes sense with the large Colombian population in New York and the new stadium next season.

Well thats a great signing for RB. I think bringing in guys like that really help out the MLS and I look forward to seeing him compete this summer in T dot.

• 1 year later...
Did Mo not go to Brasil to find some players last winter did he not make any contacts ? Lots of quality strikers are lurking in the state leagues at wages well below the minimum, you can get speed and skill for less the the league minimum salary.... maybe MO never left Copacabana .. all on the TFC nut.

But this years performance must show the bean counters ole Mo was a lousy coach...now when they get his lousy GM we might be onto something.

^ Interesting post i saw a while ago (take it for what it's worth).

Some Botafogo fan spotted Mo Johnston at a game. Kind of silly, who can we seriously afford in that type of situation? Pay down there is not terribly high, but we still have to temper our expectations. We should be slugging it out to 2nd division Brazil matches or some of the smaller SA leagues to find some cheap talent.

Perspective: I watched Gambia U-20 and Nyassi and Mansally looked bad. They are amazing wingers in MLS and each earn 1/30 of what we pay Robert.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

^ Interesting post i saw a while ago (take it for what it's worth).

Some Botafogo fan spotted Mo Johnston at a game. Kind of silly, who can we seriously afford in that type of situation? Pay down there is not terribly high, but we still have to temper our expectations. We should be slugging it out to 2nd division Brazil matches or some of the smaller SA leagues to find some cheap talent.

Perspective: I watched Gambia U-20 and Nyassi and Mansally looked bad. They are amazing wingers in MLS and each earn 1/30 of what we pay Robert.

I thought they stood out on that Gambian team.

BTW, they make 1/10th of what Robert makes (they've been promoted to senior minimum wages) ;)

Archived