CSA Explain Yourselves !

Can anyone direct me to the proper contact at the CSA where I can make a complaint.

Just before the Canada goal a CSA official came over to our section and wanted to know who put up the Voyageurs banner. He said that it needed to come down. There was no explanation as to why. He was asked and he replied that it is orders from the top or something to that affect.I did not offer to take it down even though I put it up. He then began to remove it.I grabbed it from him and he said sorry. The game was getting exiting at that point as Canada had pulled to within a goal so I did not persue it at the stadium .

This is yet another example of the CSA's lack of regard for the home support. I come home and hear Craig Forrest commment(on Sportsnet Ontario)on how we constantly roll out the red carpet for opposing fans. There were Brazilians all around us. We were on the East bleachers in front of the Super Canucks banner. We numbered about 50. They had about 3 times as many next to us but we did give a good account of ourselves. We did get some good chants going.

Anyway,I just fail to see the logic in removing a harmless banner. Is that the CSA's way of telling us to go away because that's how I feel.

The banner hung on an empty rail beside another Voyageurs Canada flag. The Canada flag was allowed to stay. We did not cover up any advertising.

What was going through that persons mind when that decision was made to send someone all the way over to that side of the field to remove a home supporters banner?

What the hell is wrong with this country when we have Brazilian fans(half of them not even Brazilians,including many Asians)parading all over the stadium and then after the game going right up to the field to greet and shake hands with the players. If that were us we'd have security on us in a heartbeat.

What kind of statement are they making with their actions. This is yet another low point in Canadian soccer. I hope that I can get your support in the way of E mails to the CSA. They need to know what their doing and what they have done is hurting the game.

I don't know. I think Craig Forrest understands what is happening. Maybe he can help us. We're trying to help our Canadian teams but we're being held back. In a way I shouldn't be surprised. They keep finding new ways to hold back the developement of this sport in this country all the time.

I'm so frustrated. I wish I could of found the person responsable to get an explanation. The CSA seems like some sort of untouchable,unapprachable,unresponsable entity that can do whatever they feel without being accountable. I'm sure that they do not give a @#$%, and as long as they don't I fear that nothing will ever change.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another question:

Why are Canadians having their flags (not even a pole! jsut a flag!) seized at the gate for exceeding 1 metre size limits, while Brazil fans are allowed to display whatever size they want? Total crap.

Reminds me of the last visits by Guatemala and Costa Rica. Security is sent over to tell the Canadians to sit down and be quiet, while the rowdy, trash tossing mob next to us is left to do as it pleases.

Why does the CSA make it so goddaman hard to support this country's teams?

Well, I think you guys know who's side I'm on in this argument. Since I was there on the front lines with you vs CR and the Guats, I can quite easily imagine the scene for the latest Latin Party night hosted by the CSA and the stadium owners at the expense of the little genuine Canadian support we have in Canada. Must we play all our home games in Kingston (or St. John's, or Saskatoon, or Halifax) to even dream of having some sort of pathetic Canadian version of home-field advantage??

Because Canadian fans will usually comply.

The CSA officials are probably more scared (and this isn't to offend anyone) of a bunch of rowdy Latinos who (say they) don't speak English. You think the Guatemalans would have a conversation about the banner with him? They'd yell at him in Spanish, tell him to great off and throw **** at him. And sadly, it usually works (both ways). Canadian fans need to stop being such pussies.

I await a response form the CSA. I'm sick of this rubbish.

I suggest you contact Bill Ault of Canada Kicks, as well as e-mailing Craig and Gerry. As well as whatever Vancouver stations have Canadian content/soccer programs. Neil Davidson is another.

Earl Cochrane seems to be sending the media releases for the CSA, so I would start e-mailing him.

If someone wants to compile some lists and an e-mail, I will gladly send them (off to work).

This is disgusting. It makes you wonder why we even bother?

Anyways, this is the CSA's email directory:

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/directory/index.asp?sub2=10

Some suggested people to email (or just email all of them):

Director of Communications

Earl Cochrane

Email: ecochrane@soccercan.ca

Events Coordinator

Tanya Hodge

Email: thodge@soccercan.ca

Kevan Pipe doesn't have email, but there is a phone number and extension if you want to call him (in Ottawa). Feel free to send an email to all the people on the list. I listed the two names that are the most relevant, but maybe the entire CSA staff should know how disgusting their actions are.

For the Voyageurs banner there should be one person (Vancouver Fan would be the logical choice) contacting the CSA on behalf of the group in an official manner. The banner represents the group so it makes sense to have one person, not every member individually, represent the group.

I don't understand this at all, we've had that banner up at stadiums right across the country and the US as well, and its never been a problem, why now? How do they expect support to grow and finally be louder than the opposition support if they do this kind of stuff. Hearing about this after watching a telecast where Craig Forrest complained about the lack of a 12th man at Canada's home games and Andrea Lombardo is seen trying to get the crowd at large to make some noise for Canada after he scored just makes the blood boil.

I hope that you get an explanation as we all need to know. I honestly can't imagine what it could possibly be. Maybe something to do with the sponsors for the television broadcast thinking that it was an un-paid for advertisement or something? That's just a wild guess, otherwise I can't for the life of me understand why someone in Canada, CSA or otherwise (but especially them), would want a "Voyageurs for Canada" banner to be taken down when there appears to be no readily available reason. Very disappointing and infuriating to hear.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

This is disgusting. It makes you wonder why we even bother?

Anyways, this is the CSA's email directory:

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/directory/index.asp?sub2=10

Some suggested people to email (or just email all of them):

Director of Communications

Earl Cochrane

Email: ecochrane@soccercan.ca

Events Coordinator

Tanya Hodge

Email: thodge@soccercan.ca

Kevan Pipe doesn't have email, but there is a phone number and extension if you want to call him (in Ottawa). Feel free to send an email to all the people on the list. I listed the two names that are the most relevant, but maybe the entire CSA staff should know how disgusting their actions are.

Thanks MA. I'll be busy typing this morning.

This is absolute B.S.!! Again!

The last WCQ match with Guatemala (2004), my brother (from Montreal) and I (from Winnipeg),

felt the same intimidation from CSA officials. The Guatemalans were treated well, while

the Swangard bunch (officials, RCMP) treated us like we were hooligans.

Maybe it's because it's Swangard or something, but this is still Canada, and we shouldn't

be treated this way. Somebody should also raise this concern with BC soccer and the people

in charge of the new Vancouver stadium.

I have to say I was treated better in Seattle, Kingston, Boston, and at home (Winnipeg).

No such hassle.

To those in Toronto: what if they (CSA) would start doing the same thing when the new

stadium opens? This stinks worse than some of the CONCACAF bullsh!t we deal with.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

That is the only possible explanation that I could think of, but as you mentioned, having a banner wasn't a problem in the past, so why should it be an issue now?

The only thing I can think of is that someone may have bothered to complain this time and not the others, for what reason I don't know

The timing of it doesn't make much sense either - why bother to ask them to take it down mid-way through the 2nd half? What good would that do.

It's all very perplexing.

quote:Originally posted by Jeremy Loome

Guys,

Forward this thread and a brief paragraph on what took place to sports columnists who've written about soccer. Never hurts to try, and it's the kind of thing that they like to write about on a slow day.

Jeremy

Great idea. Hopefully a bit of printed media slap will wake up the CSA and make them realize their asinine attitude.

The one the simply says Voyageurs. It was hung on a guard rail at field level and can be seen on the telecast near the far corner flag on the right(south side) of the field.I think it was made by Reza or someone from Edmonton and I have been holding on to it since last WCQ. It has been all across the country for a few years. This may be the first time that it was hung on field level. I'll have to check the tapes of the Swanguard WCQ.

Anyway the Canada flag was allowed to stay on the rail. I can't believe that anyone would think that it might have been some kind of advertising.

And the CBC, which can't be bothered to cover Canadian Soccer and hasn't replied to multiple emails from me, asking for some coverage...

-so CBC sent this Brazilian reporter out to interview fans, in the stands, for "CBC's Brazilian Radio Program" Really only interested in Brazilian fans' opinions.

WTF?

Can you imagine CBC doing this kind of thing at a National Hockey game?

The banner issue was probably just some officious "security" person doing what Swangard's security does best: Nothing useful. These folks are presumably hired by Burnaby Parks and Recreation, who do such a fine job of running Swangard Stadium.

The stadium "security" people at Swangard are hopeless. If you're on your own and you stand in the wrong place they're all over you. Similarly, if you're caucasian they search your bag (for what? beer?) and measure flagpoles. They don't like flags and banners but drums are OK.

But if you're in a rowdy bunch who are actually a "security risk" they are hopeless. (eg Portland fans a few weeks ago chucking stuff onto the pitch, forcing people to move from the seats they paid for, throwing beer, whatever at ball boys- ) the security guys just don't have the knees to do anything about it.

In the portland example, it was "Winger" - the guy in the chicken suit-, then a couple of whitecaps fans, including a ball boy's mum who had to approach a mob of drunk foul-mouthed trailer trash, to ask them to behave a bit more reasonably towards the kids on the sideline.

Too bad the CSA double-crossed Mr Kerfoot, before WYC 2007.

Now the Vancouver WYC 2007 games will be run by CSA and Burnaby Parks and Recreation.

The CSA owes the Voyageurs an apology. I was at all the home WC qualifiers and as well at last nights game. The way the Canadian fans have had to play second fiddle to the opposing team fans is a joke. What country in the world hires a opposing teams band to go around the stadium and work up the opposition fans into a frenzy?? To ask us to take down the banner. The banner for the one group at all home games that tries to make a difference in the stadium. That's the last straw for me. I think we need to make a demonstration here to get our point accross to the CSA. Either some demonstration at the next home game, or we target one of the CSA sponsors to urge them to pull the plug or not renew their sponsorship.

Furthermore at the game yesterday. The CSA allowed Telus to hand out hard 4 inch diameter hacky sack balls (A little heavier and slightly smaller than a tennis ball) to fans at the game. Why are they having 1 meter or more flags banned and then arming fans with objects to throw on the pitch. Complete incompetence.

Archived