CSA Explain Yourselves !

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

It does sound sincere to me. I'm going to forward it.

It's definitely someone who sincerely cares.... to the extent that a V getting hot under the collar might... No doubt about the passion there, just the source of the fire in my mind. Didn't care enough to even have a second glance at the spelling, etc, though...Big organizations like the CSA are inherantly elitist, and in my mind are notorious for thumbing their noses at the common working man, to the the extent that letters and emails might end up binned and laughed at due to spelling and simple typos (think of it as a CV for our group). Fair enough, though, Nazz. It's a judgment call that probably won't be resolved, anyways. You've got my full support. Thanks for trying!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by mattbin

It's ridiculous that that banner was taken down, but that's the problem with the kind of organization we've put together here. I agree with the others who have connected this with the fact that we have no centralization, no spokesperson, no structure.

I find this statement to be very Canadian and unfortunate at the same time. First it's indeed a shame that the banner was taken down, but why is it a a problem of the Voyageurs organization? This problem shouldn't have anything to do with the Voyageurs and everything to do with the CSA. The banner was obviously a blatant show of support for our National team, why would a CSA person take it down?

It's good that the topic of proper organization has come up, and that in itself is very Canadian. But blaming yourself for others sheer stupidity is wrong.

I'm not calling you out specifically Mattbin, it seems that there is this feeling among a bunch of posters here and I just chose to react to this one.

hello again...

i'm honestly very flattered by the dedication and passion you guys bring to the subject. a lot of canadian players are of the opinion that what we do goes relatively un-noticed . I was impressed by the support from all of those who attended the games in the brazil series and those who watched the games on sportsnet.

I completely agree that the more "patriotic" fans should have a designated section in our home matches, clubs and countries throughout the world have defined "home supporters" sections and it makes for a great atmosphere. In the swangard game i heard constant support being shouted at us the only problem being the spacing of the loud supporters.

Until the CSA arranges support assigned seating there are alternatives that you guys could help kick off (pardon the pun)...at my club there are fan groups or clan type organizations, which are just a bunch of supporters with a common interest (the team or club) who decide on an area of the stands to fill and they do it. it works as a snowball effect and sooner or later other fans realize that "thats where the real supporters are" and they also choose to involve themselves in the louder, perhaps more roudy section of the crowd. then sooner or later the fans create the home supporting section. (often behind the goal).

maybe if a bunch of u guys started a bit of a movement it would catch on. i think earl understands, and he is working for us not against, he's helped me with some media things and he really is a good guy with good intentions who appreciates your support.

to comment on those who are skeptical that i actually do play for canada, i'm not pleading with anyone to beleive me, i'd just like to give my opinion, that of an insider, without worrying about getting in trouble for it. not that anything i've said was aimed to be controversial. it's just easier for me to remain unknown, thanks for your understanding...and if anyone would like to guess and gets it right i'll own up haha.

quote:Originally posted by Danny Boy

I find this statement to be very Canadian and unfortunate at the same time. First it's indeed a shame that the banner was taken down, but why is it a a problem of the Voyageurs organization? This problem shouldn't have anything to do with the Voyageurs and everything to do with the CSA. The banner was obviously a blatant show of support for our National team, why would a CSA person take it down?

My point is that if we had credibility as an organization, we would be able to:

- clear with the CSA in advance what we were bringing and where it would go, and thus avoid these problems

- go to the CSA after the fact to get these problems resolved quickly and build on the solution for next time

While I'm all in support of what was sent to the CSA, a relationship goes a long way in getting what you want. Think of how this all sounds to the CSA: a bunch of guys, mostly young guys, from an online forum want their own section, want to bring some stuff to hang on the rails, want to bring drums and stuff. Wouldn't you be on the defensive? To them, we're just a bunch of yahoos with no accountability.

Now, granted, the non-Canadian solution would be to just go there, make our noise, and send out a big FARK YOU! whenever we're challenged. And maybe that would work. But that makes us a bigger problem than before, and leads to greater resistance on the CSA's part. And then the Voyageurs are seen as just a bunch of hoodlums in matching shirts.

I dunno. I have a lot of faith in relationship-building. I don't know whether it's preferable, or even possible, for this group.

quote:I'm not calling you out specifically Mattbin, it seems that there is this feeling among a bunch of posters here and I just chose to react to this one.

No problem. I put it out there to be discussed, not agreed to.

Cheers

M@

quote:Originally posted by Soju

One of you guys living in Canada have to step up and do this. Nominate some candidates for "Voyageurs Rep" and have a vote here. The guy you voted in could have a sticky thread on this board where he/she relays the results of his communications with the CSA and others for people here to read and comment on. Voyageurs here could in turn vote on possible next steps to be taken to push forward our agenda, making supporting Canadian soccer better easier more efficient.

I nominate Rudi or Franky.

CSAplayer makes a good point. simply have fans select an area and sit there rather than demanding a certain section be reserved.

or...

If a reserve section is requested and provided when people go buy tickets they will be asked "home or away supporters section?" before you know it, the home supporters section begins to grow larger and large with each match, and a true home atmosphere begins to develop because people feel as though they are truly with like-minded supporters throughout the stadium.

quote:Originally posted by CSAplayer

to comment on those who are skeptical that i actually do play for canada, i'm not pleading with anyone to beleive me, i'd just like to give my opinion, that of an insider, without worrying about getting in trouble for it. not that anything i've said was aimed to be controversial. it's just easier for me to remain unknown, thanks for your understanding...and if anyone would like to guess and gets it right i'll own up haha.

I suppose we could each offer one guess and eventually we'd be correct, eh? You write with a fluid style, which betrays a confidence and certain level of learning. I'd assume you were one of our US-based college players--you are going to school, afterall--but such an assumption would suggest that those of our players who did not take the university route are not capable of quality thinking/writing, and I know this is not the case. Mr. Edgar, for one, is a well-spoken young man and would take issue with just such a claim.

Or, you are not a CSA Player at all. Which would be too bad. It is important for us to hear that what we try to do is actually appreciated.

So you have a club, eh? That eliminates all our NTC lads.

hello again...

i'm honestly very flattered by the dedication and passion you guys bring to the subject. a lot of canadian players are of the opinion that what we do goes relatively un-noticed . I was impressed by the support from all of those who attended the games in the brazil series and those who watched the games on sportsnet.

I completely agree that the more "patriotic" fans should have a designated section in our home matches, clubs and countries throughout the world have defined "home supporters" sections and it makes for a great atmosphere. In the swangard game i heard constant support being shouted at us the only problem being the spacing of the loud supporters.

Until the CSA arranges support assigned seating there are alternatives that you guys could help kick off (pardon the pun)...at my club there are fan groups or clan type organizations, which are just a bunch of supporters with a common interest (the team or club) who decide on an area of the stands to fill and they do it. it works as a snowball effect and sooner or later other fans realize that "thats where the real supporters are" and they also choose to involve themselves in the louder, perhaps more roudy section of the crowd. then sooner or later the fans create the home supporting section. (often behind the goal).

maybe if a bunch of u guys started a bit of a movement it would catch on. i think earl understands, and he is working for us not against, he's helped me with some media things and he really is a good guy with good intentions who appreciates your support.

The snowball effect is a wonderful thing and is exactly what happened in 1984 when the Bliz played at Varsity. H-Block became the place to be. Ya for some games there were only 20 or 30 of us but it did snowball and for the bigger games, other fans gravitated to us.

This is what I hope to see at the new Ex next year!

db

hahah, are you implying that those of us that don't attend university aren't articulate enough to convey our opinions?

...just kidding,(footballers may not be as ignorant as we're made out to be,haha) but i can assure you that all of what you lot do here is appreciated by the players.. and ya if u threw names up in the air eventually u might be on to something...

there are some options fans have to gain support and create movements, i'm sure if u guys keep tossing up ideas something is bound to work. and i really can't thank you guys enough for trying

Guest Dave

OK, I'll bite. I've had a feeling that CSA Player is in fact David Edgar, for many of the same reasons quoted by "the beaver". The newspaper article posted elsewhere implies that Mr. Edgar is at home for a bit, perhaps visitting his parents. His reference to "footballers" and having a club implies he is based in the UK. And his overall writing style is again consistent with what little I do know about David Edgar.

Having said all that, I'm probably dead wrong. [:P]

Whomever you are, as a longtime Canadian supporter, it's gratifying to hear from a young player who obviously shares our belief that this nation's soccer fortunes are on the rise, and that in the very near future we will begin to show the world what Canuck pride and fortitude can accomplish. Enjoy your time off, and good luck with your club next season. (and I might add, if this is indeed Mr. Edgar, I hope you are able to challenge hard for a first team spot next year.)

Dave A, Bathurst NB

EDIT: Fun and games aside, I think it's best if CSA Player not identify himself publically on this board. Probably best if you wish to avoid potential complications... one only has to consider Fernando Aguiar's involvement on this board a few years back.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

OK, I'll bite. I've had a feeling that CSA Player is in fact David Edgar, for many of the same reasons quoted by "the beaver". The newspaper article posted elsewhere implies that Mr. Edgar is at home for a bit, perhaps visitting his parents. His reference to "footballers" and having a club implies he is based in the UK. And his overall writing style is again consistent with what little I do know about David Edgar.

Having said all that, I'm probably dead wrong. [:P]

Whomever you are, as a longtime Canadian supporter, it's gratifying to hear from a young player who obviously shares our belief that this nation's soccer fortunes are on the rise, and that in the very near future we will begin to show the world what Canuck pride and fortitude can accomplish. Enjoy your time off, and good luck with your club next season. (and I might add, if this is indeed Mr. Edgar, I hope you are able to challenge hard for a first team spot next year.)

Dave A, Bathurst NB

EDIT: Fun and games aside, I think it's best if CSA Player not identify himself publically on this board. Probably best if you wish to avoid potential complications... one only has to consider Fernando Aguiar's involvement on this board a few years back.

Sort of wondered, too, if it was young Edgar hisself. The reference to "clans" suggested the UK, maybe Scotland--Keegan??--and the overall tone seemed consistent with somebody of Edgar's poise-beyond-his-years. But as curious as I am to know who CSAPlayer is, I'd agree that it is best that his identity never be revealed. Unless, of course, he's till hanging round Vancouver and wants to go for a pint with the lads. ;)

hahah, are you implying that those of us that don't attend university aren't articulate enough to convey our opinions?

Nah, I know better than that. Sure, you'd think a university kid would have a leg up, but not all university students are created equal, and some highschool educations--those received in the UK, for instance--produce remarkably articulate young adults, too. ;)

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

ok, csa player, is it true that johnson smokes the wacky tabaccy and peters puffs the magic dragon?

Well, this is why Johnson is moving to Holland, right? Too dangerous to smoke that stuff down in the US of A.

are you implying that those of us that don't attend university aren't articulate enough to convey our opinions?

Yeah. Pretty much.

Or, at least in a fashion which could be reasonably expected to be understood by those who don't use a crayon as their main writing tool.

But don't feel bad about it. If you haven't been around here much you wouldn't realise that most of the posters on this board have, or are on their way to having PHDs, BAs or CAs while some of us are more familiar with the other 3 Ps. PA (Prince Albert), PO (Probation Officer), and PLB (Parking lot beating).

To each his own. I guess.

Anyway, tanx fur sayzin yur bit.

Both keegan and david E are quite literaly very close guesses...thanks for the best wishes for my time off, problem being i'm still serving club duty at the moment. i had to fly back for the last bit of my season after the vancouver game. time off is a luxury, practically a year round season, but don't get me started hah!

but i would suggest that a new forum topic was started where the fans could arrange a section to occupy. you never know it might help expand the voyagers website.

Both keegan and david E are quite literaly very close guesses...

Geographically? Well, I know where Newcastle and Edinburgh are, and Ipswich and Yeovil are well to the South (I don't know where Rushden and Diamonds play), so I don't think that's it. Keegan and Edgar are from different provinces, play different positions, and have very different numbers on the team. So, unless you are currently hanging together, I'm out of ideas.

Actually CSAplayer, I think that you should keep your identity a secret. That would be for your benefit and to avoid highjacking this thread from an important topic.

Getting back on topic, I have some suggestions for having an official spokesperson.

I believe that it would be ideal, if not essential, for the spokeperson to be a well-spoken member from the Ottawa area. This would enable him to personally meet with and speak to CSA officials on a regular basis (or throw rocks through CSA headquarter's windows and key Pipe's car - whatever works best). This person should be assisted by three assistants/deputies based in Toronto, Edmonton, and Vancouver/Victoria to be the on-site represenative at national team games. Other Voyageurs from other parts of Canada like the maritimes could be later deputized in the unlikely scenario that the CSA actually play games somewhere else (I'm assuming that Ottawa guy would travel to Montreal just as Toronto guy would go to Hamilton - fewer guys increases individual name recognition inside the CSA).

i agree, we digress. this forum is, after all, to discuss the current events of the CSA teams etc, not a 20 questions conversation... i'll be sure to put in a word with earl.c about the topic of assigned seating, ticket master may have something to do with it and i'm sure earl is working on something (he always is). anyway until then, i'll thankyou again for your involvement.

Hey crazies...maybe before throwing blame around and yelling at the CSA, you should get your facts straight, otherwise what credibility can you possibly have??

I happen to know the guy, or "CSA Monkey Butler" as you've called him, who went over to take down the Voyageurs banner, and he was NOT wearing a CSA blazer with brass buttons and a CSA crest....they don't even have anything like that!! A second point, the CSA don't issue photo ID cards for anything...the guy was wearing an event pass around his neck, but those are given to everyone from volunteers to security to VIPS.

Nobody at the CSA is going to take any of you seriously if you can't even get the facts straight...seriously, think about it.

PS - Just for the record, the "Monkey Butler" doesn't even work for the CSA...

Archived