CSA Explain Yourselves !

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, by the look of it, it sounds like it's the CSA who isn't very patriotic.

Did they really hired a brazilian band??? Did the CSA did that? That would be amazing.

BTW, Craig Forrest was right about the home games in Canada, it shouldn't be a party for the opposing team fans and players.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

That's the last straw for me. I think we need to make a demonstration here to get our point accross to the CSA. Either some demonstration at the next home game, or we target one of the CSA sponsors to urge them to pull the plug or not renew their sponsorship.

If it is indeed the CSA who are responsible for this we should definitely kick up a fuss, but I'm not sure that urging sponsors to withdraw funding for our Canadian soccer programs is the route to go. I actually I'm pretty sure its not. That will hurt both the national 'teams and the players which we support, and I don't see why they should be punished for this.

I did get a reply from Mr.Cochrane but instead of cutting and pasting it I will just say that he is unaware of what happened and that he will investigate on Monday. My apoligies to Mr.Cochrane.

I will leave my original E mail to him however.I don't think that is out of line.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Fri 5/26/2006 12:06 PM

To: Earl Cochrane

Cc: Tanya Hodge

Subject: Voyageurs Banner

Mr. Cochrane ,

My name is Nazz Catania and I am a Voyageur. I'm sure you have heard of our

group. We are Canadas only group of vocal supporters. We have followed

Canadas national teams from Kingston to Victoria as well as Boston,

Miami,Seattle,Pasadena,and Edinburgh. We have purchased Canada

jerseys,scarves and hats. We bring our Canada flags and homemade banners to

the games and hang them proudly in the various stadiums. We sing Oh Canada

as loud as we can and we chant to try and supply as much homefield support

as possible. It has always been difficult to be heard. We have often been

outnumbered and outsung by visiting teams fans. Those visitng fans have

often been catered to by Canadian officials. At last nights game Brazils

fans had a group of drummers and dancers parading about the stadium and

giving their team and fans incentive to play better and cheer louder. I'm

sure these small things do often make a difference on what happens on the

field.

Our group numbered about 50. I paid for all 50 tickets in order to reserve a

section for the Voyageurs. I also hung 3 banners in our general area. One of

the banners that simply had our name Voyageurs on it was removed by a CSA

official. It was hung on a guard rail near field level. It was there for 65

min before it was removed. We were not given any reason as to why it had to

be removed. There was a Canada flag beside it that was allowed to stay. We

covered no advertising and the banner was harmless.

This was very hurtful to our group. We felt that our support was not

appreciated and not wanted. We are trying to make a difference. We realise

that we have to try and overcome the numerous visiting support but now it

seems that the CSA does not care enough to help us. Craig Forrest mentioned

on the telecast last night how important home support is to Canada. I wish

that the CSA would come to their senses and also realise this. I would

appreciate an explanation.

Sincerely Nazz Catania

I agree with what DJT said ...

Before we go blasting the CSA lets examine the facts and see why our banner was removed.

We should also release ONE press release that is well composed.

Soon our homepage will be feeding off Press Releases to the general public via RSS feeds, so we'll have a huge voice on the international media stage.

Let's not go out sending thousands of e-mail messages each saying something completely different and confuse everyone.

Guest speedmonk42

Quick point on the Samba music/dancers.

I don't know if the CSA had anything to do with it. However, imagine what would happen if they tried to stop it.

That would be an incomprehensible disaster.

Guys it would seem that we would have to be more organized

(and thus more official) to be taken more seriously by the CSA.

We should have a public relations person to take up these issues

with the CSA. Perhaps their perception of us as a group are worse.

But why stop there? We should get a campaign going (signed petition,

letters to politicians, etc.) so that we get some respect.

Enough is enough. How many more games will Canadians feel like

visitors in their own stadia? Why can't Canadians bring their

flags and Costa Ricans can bring their giant flag that's the size of

a roof? Why disrespect the fans and supporters of our Canadian

squad? It's not like they PAID for OUR tickets ...[}:)]

quote:Originally posted by I Caramba

And the CBC, which can't be bothered to cover Canadian Soccer and hasn't replied to multiple emails from me, asking for some coverage...

-so CBC sent this Brazilian reporter out to interview fans, in the stands, for "CBC's Brazilian Radio Program" Really only interested in Brazilian fans' opinions.

WTF?

HHAHA yea she interviewed me...but she thought i was from brazil (1/2 Japanese + 1/2 Chilean = Brazilian?)

anyways, she obviously didn't know much about soccer b/c her questions sucked. Or maybe she jus thought I wouldn't know anything about soccer.

regarding the band/dancers: I thought it added to the atmosphere...and they did have 'canadian' dancers as well. I would not, however, condone anything like that for a WCQ match or anything serious. this was only a friendly though.

regarding the canadian flags/banner: that is total BS not to be able to bring the flag into the match, or hang the banner in its original position. (are we talking about the SUPER CANUCKS banner?)

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

No,once again it was the "Voyageurs for Canada" banner.Black lettering on white nylon measuring approx.24"x120".

I like your email to Cochrane. Since you are a "regular" at Canada games, may I suggest you carry a small camera routinely and snap some photos of culprits when an incident like this happens again. Candid evidence is hard to discredit and it will avoid answers such as "we will investigate".

I should mention that the person who removed the banner wore a blazer complete with brass buttons and an official crest on it. Although i cannot prove he was a CSA official I cannot imagine it being anyone else. I know that there are many here in the legal proffesion that may see this as lack of credibility.

Somtimes I think the more casual Canadian fans at these games dont really know how to cheer ala the rest of the soccer world. The CSA seem to lack perspective as well. It seems that they see a "successful" canadian crowd as one that is mostly composed of screaming kids who cheer at just about anything ammusing, not quality play, and wave thousands of little plastic flags with a sponsors name on the other side. Their picture of what we should be is somthing more akin to a Canada Day Blue Jays game.

I think they really do fail to understand that there can be a Euro/Latin American style passion for the game in this country, and for Canadian teams.

With this story occuring at the same time as Craig's comments last night, I for one would love to see Craig Forrest in an offical role with the Voyageurs as a spokesmen (or somthing close to it) to promote our game and support circles at home. Is this a realistic idea?

I did get a reply from Mr.Cochrane but instead of cutting and pasting it I will just say that he is unaware of what happened and that he will investigate on Monday. My apoligies to Mr.Cochrane.

I will leave my original E mail to him however.I don't think that is out of line.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Fri 5/26/2006 12:06 PM

To: Earl Cochrane

Cc: Tanya Hodge

Subject: Voyageurs Banner

Mr. Cochrane ,

My name is Nazz Catania and I am a Voyageur. I'm sure you have heard of our

group. We are Canadas only group of vocal supporters. We have followed

Canadas national teams from Kingston to Victoria as well as Boston,

Miami,Seattle,Pasadena,and Edinburgh. We have purchased Canada

jerseys,scarves and hats. We bring our Canada flags and homemade banners to

the games and hang them proudly in the various stadiums. We sing Oh Canada

as loud as we can and we chant to try and supply as much homefield support

as possible. It has always been difficult to be heard. We have often been

outnumbered and outsung by visiting teams fans. Those visitng fans have

often been catered to by Canadian officials. At last nights game Brazils

fans had a group of drummers and dancers parading about the stadium and

giving their team and fans incentive to play better and cheer louder. I'm

sure these small things do often make a difference on what happens on the

field.

Our group numbered about 50. I paid for all 50 tickets in order to reserve a

section for the Voyageurs. I also hung 3 banners in our general area. One of

the banners that simply had our name Voyageurs on it was removed by a CSA

official. It was hung on a guard rail near field level. It was there for 65

min before it was removed. We were not given any reason as to why it had to

be removed. There was a Canada flag beside it that was allowed to stay. We

covered no advertising and the banner was harmless.

This was very hurtful to our group. We felt that our support was not

appreciated and not wanted. We are trying to make a difference. We realise

that we have to try and overcome the numerous visiting support but now it

seems that the CSA does not care enough to help us. Craig Forrest mentioned

on the telecast last night how important home support is to Canada. I wish

that the CSA would come to their senses and also realise this. I would

appreciate an explanation.

Sincerely Nazz Catania

That is a great letter. It is well written, and I would love to see his final reply after he investigates.

Well done, and let's fight this all the way.

[brThis may be the first time that it was hung on field level.

It was hung at field level (along with the red/white checkerboard one) for the Cuba game in Winnipeg. In Edmonton it is usually hung from the front railing at the edge of the stands next to the track. I don't see any difference in the way it was displayed this time than in any other appearance since 1996.

Thanks for pursuing this Nazz.

cheers,

matthew

I was at the game and have to agree it is so pathetic for the CSA to be removing the Voyageur flag when the Voyageurs have done so much to promote Canadian Soccer. So, they Voyageurs are not an official sponsor, but who cares given what they are the unofficial Canadian soccer supporters.

Security is not professional and they seem to focus on matters that are not a big problem rather than the bigger problems, like finding your seat etc, as you cannot make out your seat no. and people are scattered everywhere sitting wherever they like.

I paid 30.00 for a ticket, well worth it, but again no CSA merchandise, limited programs. Again wasted potential revenue for the CSA.

Nothing in Canadian soccer is going to change until Kevan Pipe and his team are gone.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

I was at the game and have to agree it is so pathetic for the CSA to be removing the Voyageur flag when the Voyageurs have done so much to promote Canadian Soccer. So, they Voyageurs are not an official sponsor, but who cares given what they are the unofficial Canadian soccer supporters.

Security is not professional and they seem to focus on matters that are not a big problem rather than the bigger problems, like finding your seat etc, as you cannot make out your seat no. and people are scattered everywhere sitting wherever they like.

I paid 30.00 for a ticket, well worth it, but again no CSA merchandise, limited programs. Again wasted potential revenue for the CSA.

Nothing in Canadian soccer is going to change until Kevan Pipe and his team are gone.

Let us forget the Voyageurs Cup. There you have another promotion of Canadian Soccer.

quote:Originally posted by I Caramba

The banner issue was probably just some officious "security" person doing what Swangard's security does best: Nothing useful. These folks are presumably hired by Burnaby Parks and Recreation, who do such a fine job of running Swangard Stadium.

The stadium "security" people at Swangard are hopeless. If you're on your own and you stand in the wrong place they're all over you. Similarly, if you're caucasian they search your bag (for what? beer?) and measure flagpoles. They don't like flags and banners but drums are OK.

Just want to clarify a few things here.

1. The security working CSA games at Swangard is NOT the same security team that works during Whitecaps matches.

2. The security companies are hired by - and take directions from - whomever is renting the stadium for the event. So if security are being dicks at a CMNT or U20 match, the CSA is directly responsible for putting them there, not the city of Burnaby.

3. The guys hired by the Caps are usually pretty decent, although from time to time you get anal-retentive eager beaver newbies who need a game or two before they chill out and lighten up.

However, the CSA's goon squads at Swangard have to be the absolute worst wannabee cops EVER. Their attitudes towards Canadian fans is much much more severe....

Example during the Guats v. CMNT at Swangard - a Guat fan pulls a KNIFE on a Canadian fan in plain view of security. Security intervenes, confiscates the knife and lets him go</u> without so much as a stern warning.

Fast forward 30 mins - security does nothing</u> about the Guats throwing trash at Canadian fans, but myself and a number of other Canadians are manhandled and hauled out of the section "for our own protection." Huh?

4. Final point re: the CSA monkey butler who was sent over to take down the Voyageurs banner. This was indeed a CSA employee - not a security staffer - as he had a CSA photo ID event pass and a blazer with the CSA logo on it.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

If it is indeed the CSA who are responsible for this we should definitely kick up a fuss, but I'm not sure that urging sponsors to withdraw funding for our Canadian soccer programs is the route to go. I actually I'm pretty sure its not. That will hurt both the national 'teams and the players which we support, and I don't see why they should be punished for this.

You? Kick up a fuss at the CSA? You are last person to make a noise about the way they do things, in fact their attitude has everything to do with thinking Canadian fans are completely malleable and easily manipulated. And people like you have done a lot to reinforce that idea with your pandering.

So shut up and stop being such a hypocrite. Or show us your signed letter.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

You? Kick up a fuss at the CSA? You are last person to make a noise about the way they do things, in fact their attitude has everything to do with thinking Canadian fans are completely malleable and easily manipulated. And people like you have done a lot to reinforce that idea with your pandering.

You know, its posts like this from you which make Canadian soccer fans not want to be associated with the Voyageurs name. Fortunately I am very thick skinned. I'll ignore the usual childish insults thrown at me, but will point out, just in case you were selectively reading posts in the thread, it has already been generally agreed in the thread, including by the mods & the forum owners to have one person send a letter of complaint/inquiry not several, which Nazz has already done (makes sense since he was actually there and I was not). Similarly if there's general agreement to do a letter on behalf of the group where we are all encouraged to add our names to it to protest this conduct, I'll be happy to add my name to it.

?????

You're a big joke Jeffrey. A narcissistic paranoiac.

You just had to try and make this thread all about you and your personal vendettas. You really need to heed your own advice on this one, Jeffrey.

As for the Voyageurs' official response, do we have someone working on a press release/letter or petition for everyone to sign? I think Vancouver Fan is doing a fine job in his email campaign, and he would be a good choice to create a well thought out petition, if he is so inclined.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

You just had to try and make this thread all about you and your personal vendettas. You really need to heed your own advice on this one, Jeffrey.

As for the Voyageurs' official response, do we have someone working on a press release/letter or petition for everyone to sign? I think Vancouver Fan is doing a fine job in his email campaign, and he would be a good choice to create a well thought out petition, if he is so inclined.

We'll wait until Monday when I excpect to hear from Mr.Cochrane. I'd appreciate some assistance with on line petitions and press releases.

Archived