CSA Explain Yourselves !

quote:Originally posted by Guardian

I don't work for the CSA....I'm a loyal fan with an inside connection....but once again angry people on this forum jump to conclusions without actual proof, and get personal....I agree that there are some real boneheads pulling the strings in this country, but why try to push new people like me out when all we want to do is make things better for all of us? Negative comments like yours make me myself and others want to just avoid the whole thing...and that's a real shame.

Sometimes the truth is negative. The optics of the CSA's actions aren't pretty, whether you like it or not.

The ironic thing is that the way the CSA has been treating the actual Canadian fans at matches make me want to give up as well. Why should I waste my own money to travel to and attend matches, when the CSA is more than happy to appease a Brazilian fan instead. Makes me feel like following/cheering for Canada is a waste of time.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could just let this go, but I guess I have too much pride...I wish I did work at the CSA, because that's where the biggest changes need to take place...but as I've previously stated, and you've seemed to ignore, I don't work there....do I know people there? Yes...but I also know people at Sportsnet, TSN, the Leafs, the Oilers, hell even the Toronto Zoo.....but I don't work at any of those places either.

I'm not trying to divert attention from anything, I know that one man is not going to stop the multitude of angry, negative fans from doing and saying whatever they want...and I apologize if I've come across as anything different....I just want to take a "War, what is it good for?" approach.

How does telling people to forget about Brazilian entertainment and focus on getting Canadians to cheer for Canada contradict itself? I'm just saying move on and do something positive.

As far as the people on this forum wanting answers, if Vancouver Fan has actually sent in an intelligent, logical e-mail, then let's wait for the response...I'm sure he'll post it!

Sometimes the truth is negative. The optics of the CSA's actions aren't pretty, whether you like it or not.

The ironic thing is that the way the CSA has been treating the actual Canadian fans at matches make me want to give up as well. Why should I waste my own money to travel to and attend matches, when the CSA is more than happy to appease a Brazilian fan instead. Makes me feel like following/cheering for Canada is a waste of time.

guys, the banner ordeal could may well have been a mis-understanding. i didn't see the flag during the match (probably because it was indeed taken down) but it's entirely possible that someone saw the banner and interpretted it as advertising for god knows what "voyagers RV's"...the swangard match was presented by sony among other sponsors therefore they, more than likely, had a contract with the CSA demandnig the exclusive attention of audiences to their bilboards etc...now i know this is a weak excuse and i really feel that it was a joke what happened, but it is probable that there was some stupid reason along those lines...

more games are scheduled in those regions due to exactly those things (weather, stadiums etc) aswell as fan base, the CSA relys on the larger cities expecting larger crouds. (victoria i can't explain, but it was still a very good atmosphere, which is indeed a good indicator for smaller cities)...also, the majority of the players in the squad come from these places,

Rant/ Guardian your comments are starting to piss me off. I paid good money to watch my beloved Canadian team play Brazil. I did not spend my hard earned dollars to watch some bloody Samba Fest hosted by the Canadian Soccer Association. I am a really pissed off consumer who has attended 14 Senior Men's Team games over the years, and countless other age categories of both sexes. I am an unhappy fan that is totally fed up with the BS decisions that the CSA make. I am demanding answers and demanding change. I have every right to do so.

The CSA should have had a reply to us in days. It's been a week now and nothing. Let's face it here Guardian, it's not like the CSA is busy gearing up for the world cup or anything! The CSA are paid employees and I demand as a consumer (And a fan) that they give me my money's worth at the end of the day. That is not too much to ask!

I can understand why you are offending people with your posts. I was at the game in Vancouver with Vancouver Fan and the rest. I was also there with the same group of Voyageurs for the World Cup Qualifiers, in Vancouver as well as Edmonton. Vancouver Fan steps up to the plate for all West Coast games and assumes the risk of buying tickets for everyone so we can sit togehter. I think Vancouver Fan bought 50 tickets for this game. Thanks again VF!! By himself VF has done more to help build a Canadian section than any other person I can think of. (Thank you others who have assumed the risk buying tickets, I am forever greatful) If he wants to write a letter tearing a strip off the CSA, he deserves nothing less than a nice reply, and an apology.

<edit> CSAPlayer: The banner situation is the straw that broke the camels back. It's part of a much larger problem with the CSA dating back to the World Cup Qualifyiers and before. The issue isn't the banner, nor the guy that came to ask us to take it down. The issue obviously is not the players either. As a fan I'd like to thank you for all of your dedications to the game and to our country.

<2nd edit> Whatever happened to Morgan Quarry?

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

What I have been thinking about it the possibility of the Voyageurs contacting former national team members (at every level, women included) and write articulate, well screened letters outlining the player's position about the CSA's ignorance (at the very least) or negligence (more likely the case) with the way support is arranged for the home team.

---------------------------

We are the soccer equivelant of geeks in the computer world using the most obscure version of Linux they can find.

Almost everyone on this board is the equivelant of a 'soccer maven'. We know more bizarre facts about soccer as a group than... probably anybody.

It has been great, but there has been a growing sense of frustration as evident on the board in the last 8 months or so. So something has to change, but lets make the change towards the positive and work with the CSA in a constructive manner, I know this can be done.

It is up to us to make it fun to be a Canadian supporter at these games. It is up to us to make people want to be in our section. They don't, unfortuneately, care about 3rd division Norweigian Canadian transfers or whatever freaky stats we come up with.

We have to figure out how to do it.

Who the hell is Linux?? Have we capped him yet??

Guardian the purpose of this thread is obviously for Vancouver fan and everyone else to get an answer as to why the Voyageurs banner was taken down. If the reason was a misunderstanding, the CSA should show some class and E-mail him back and explain it to him. They should also apologize out of good will, he was afterall a paying customer buying an unpopular product, and he's a LOYAL customer along with most of these guys who show up for games with friends and family in tow. I like how you came on here like you were a real insider, telling all us crazy fans how it is. People will think about positive ways to move on once this thing has been resolved. Take your high and mighty act and go great yourself.

Guardian, I appreciate your comments. It's very clear where

you stand, despite the fact you are not with the CSA, officially.

Let me tell you mine. If you followed the thread, only Vancouver Fan

was tapped to send an email to the CSA. Hence the title of the

thread. That's why I didn't send one.

But if other people do send emails, why is that exactly wrong?

Now let me tell you, as a SHAREHOLDER of SONY, TELUS, and CIBC,

I do have the right to complain about the CSA treatment of its

consumers & clients. And institutional sherholders like me.

So I'm all for working together, but please don't assume CSA

arrogance takes precedence over its fan base. We the fans

deserve more and GWallace basically outlined what many of us

feel.

And for Monster, VF, GW, and the rest: you know what you saw

and deserve an explanation. If it happened, it's real.

consumers & clients. And institutional shareholders like me.

feel.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

consumers & clients. And institutional sherholders like me.

feel.

Redhat, there is nothing wrong with everyone and anyone sending e-mails, sometimes that's the way to get things done.....I just personally feel that we need to look organized and legitimate...and we don't look like that when people are writing angry, harsh e-mails that are not attacking the CSA, but the people who work for it (i.e., "CSA's Monkey Butler").....regardless of my own personal style of one person speaking for the group, go ahead and have everyone send e-mails to whomever they want, but I think that we'll get a better response if we're saying more than just "you guys are a bunch of jerks, start sticking up for your own fans"...and i just made that up, so please nobody (ahem Massive!) write me saying that none of us said that...let's voice our concerns, but in a positive manner that will make people want to respond and work for progress...non?

The "Monkey Butler" comment was never included in any E mails to the CSA. I'm sure E mails sent to the CSA from most Voyageurs wil be done in an appropriate way. I've posted my E mail here in this topic. To re iterate what Massive Attack and others have said. We are just looking for answers.

Also, the banner issue seems to be the one most spoken about however some Canadian fans were told that they were not allowed to bring their flag in because it was too large. There is one first hand account of this.

Really, who was responsible for these occurances during the Vancouver match?

quote:Originally posted by CSAplayer

more games are scheduled in those regions due to exactly those things (weather, stadiums etc) aswell as fan base, the CSA relys on the larger cities expecting larger crouds. (victoria i can't explain, but it was still a very good atmosphere, which is indeed a good indicator for smaller cities)...also, the majority of the players in the squad come from these places,

That doesn't explain why the MARITIMES get SCREWED.

Maybe the maritimes should form their own national team ?

I can't believe how much some people are focussing on and fussing about the Brazilian parade and the few but noisy and animated Brazilian fans in the stands at the Vancouver game. Guys, there was 90 minutes of pretty good ball on the field, that's what I go to matches to watch. Everything else is incidental. If you don't like the samba stuff then put together something to compete with it. Don't just slag the CSA over and over and over again because that will get you nowhere.

Maybe if we slag the CSA enough times, they might finally learn about their own stupid policies.

Just sitting idly by and letting the CSA continue to alienate its own fan base, so that (insert foreign team) fans can have an enjoyable time at Canada matches is disgusting. We are the fans of Canadian soccer here. All we are asking for is answers to our questions. We are also asking for the same respect afforded to foreign fans at Canadian matches. If this is too much to ask for, why should I even bother spending my money at CSA events?

Someone at the CSA needs to wake up. I won't hold my breath though.

Not only are they alienating their own fan base, but they are also alienating their own players. By catering to visiting fans and persecuting the Canadian ones, the atmosphere is less and less enjoyable to play in. Therefore, less and less players will be ready and willing to pull on the red and white. And therefore, Richard, the 90 minutes of good soccer you were privileged enough to see will become less and less common.

Just take a minute and think laterally. Or 3-dimensionally even.

Richard, I would personally like to invite you on behalf of all Voyageurs to stand with us and chant and sing and wave your oversized Canadian flag with pride at the next Canada game. Hopefully you won't be asked to leave your flag at home. I would like you to experience what it is like to be a Voyageur. I would like you to feel that in some small way that you are making a difference. We invite every Canadian fan to do the same.

We just might need your credit card though to pay for the tickets to get all of us together. I hope your credit limit will allow it. If not I'll help out.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I can't believe how much some people are focussing on and fussing about the Brazilian parade and the few but noisy and animated Brazilian fans in the stands at the Vancouver game. Guys, there was 90 minutes of pretty good ball on the field, that's what I go to matches to watch. Everything else is incidental. If you don't like the samba stuff then put together something to compete with it. Don't just slag the CSA over and over and over again because that will get you nowhere.

Though we've had our (minor) disagreements in the past, I generally agree with your take on things, but must admit that El Hombre raises a very important point. Like you, I attend these games to enjoy watching a good game of football, but I am also there to support our lads. I was close enough to the pitch to get a good look at Johnson and Edgar and Peters when they scanned the crowd for fans, and like I said earlier, it nearly killed me to see the sad look on their faces when the best they could find was a contingent of 50 or sad rabid Voyageurs stuck at one end of sea of piss-yellow. We were fighting hard to support our team, but we were up against drums and flags and swack of Brazil fans--most of which were immigrants from other countries, but that is a different, more delicate matter.

It was clear that there were other Canadian fans in the Grandstand, and I can't stress enough how useful it would have been--then and for the future--if ALL the Canadian fans were corralled in one area. Then we could make a concerted effor and some real noise. Even chanting "Go, Canada, Go" would suddenly become credible if our fans were gathered as one. The CSA can arrange this with Ticketmaster. There are ways to make this work.

But yes, some of the other bickering and complaints are juvenile, I'll give you that.

By all means, complain about the mistakes. But also write/Email/phone the elected people at the CSA, like the President and the Vice President, and copy your Provincial SA Presidents so they can raise it on your behalf.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Though we've had our (minor) disagreements in the past, I generally agree with your take on things, but must admit that El Hombre raises a very important point. Like you, I attend these games to enjoy watching a good game of football, but I am also there to support our lads. I was close enough to the pitch to get a good look at Johnson and Edgar and Peters when they scanned the crowd for fans, and like I said earlier, it nearly killed me to see the sad look on their faces when the best they could find was a contingent of 50 or sad rabid Voyageurs stuck at one end of sea of piss-yellow. We were fighting hard to support our team, but we were up against drums and flags and swack of Brazil fans--most of which were immigrants from other countries, but that is a different, more delicate matter.

It was clear that there were other Canadian fans in the Grandstand, and I can't stress enough how useful it would have been--then and for the future--if ALL the Canadian fans were corralled in one area. Then we could make a concerted effor and some real noise. Even chanting "Go, Canada, Go" would suddenly become credible if our fans were gathered as one. The CSA can arrange this with Ticketmaster. There are ways to make this work.

But yes, some of the other bickering and complaints are juvenile, I'll give you that.

I am happy to know not everybody disagrees with me every time :-)

I was at field level right behind the goal line and whilst there were two or three sections in the stands and bleachers where green and yellow dominated, the number of people involved hardly numbered more than a few hundred at most although the amount of noise they made belied their small numbers. I gather attendance at the game was in excess of 6,000. If I can trust my math the prominent Brazilian support amounted therefore to about 5-10% of the total attendance. Plenty of Canadian supporters in the balance, indeed I suspect they all were Candian supporters to a greater or lesser degree. I think this is a case of not being able to see wood for trees simply because not everybody is utterly extroverted.

WELCOME TO PAETEC PARK (newly opened)

PAETEC Park Rules & Regulations

SOURCE http://www.rhinossoccer.com/pages.php?id=24

Alcoholic Beverages

Persons under 21 years of age are not permitted to purchase or consume alcoholic beverages. PAETEC Park reserves the right to refuse service to anyone who is unable to produce an acceptable form of identification or who appears to be intoxicated.

PAETEC Park is dedicated to providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all of our guests. The sale, consumption, service, and availability of alcohol may be restricted by the management of PAETEC Park in its sole discretion, and is subject to compliance with all applicable governmental statutes, ordinances, and regulations.

Within the Stadium, the sale of beer is limited to two per customer, per purchase. The sale of alcohol may be stopped by stadium concessionaire at any time during events. If you choose to drink, please do so responsibly.

ATM:

This stadium has four ATM machines located at the Rhinos Grille, Zweigle's Grill and behind sections 105 and 111 near the concession stands.

Attire

All visitors to PAETEC Park are required to wear shoes and shirts at all times. Some language, gestures, and suggestive art on apparel may also be considered inappropriate. PAETEC Park reserves the right to address these issues with all guests. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Banners

Banners may be brought into the Stadium and are encouraged provided they are not offensive, in poor taste, or commercial in nature. Banners may be draped or hung from the rail on the lower bowl, as long as they do not obstruct the view of any guests, Stadium signage, or present any safety hazard. PAETEC Park reserves the right to remove any banner which it deems offensive in nature.

Cameras/Video Equipment

Professional cameras or equipment, as defined by detachable lenses, are not allowed to be brought into the venue unless user has the appropriate working media credential. Unauthorized filming, video or audio taping, recording, and all other depictions of PAETEC Park and/or events are strictly prohibited. The sale of photographs depicting the stadium or players are strictly prohibited. Violaters will be prosecuted.

Concessions

PAETEC Park offers Thirty-two points of sale within five permanent Stadium concession stands and also offers food and drink at various mobile concession kiosks. In addition, concessions will be available via vendors walking the stands. Concession stands are operated by Delaware North Sportservice. Hours of operation for concession vary based on length and type of event.

Emergency Phone Calls

Please report all emergencies to the nearest Safety & Security Officer.

Emergency Evacuation

In the event of an emergency situation where the Stadium would need to be evacuated, instructions will be announced via the public address system and stadium staff will assist you in exiting the venue safely. If such circumstances arise, please remain calm, use common sense and follow any instructions as they are announced.

Fan Behavior

Fans violating local, state or federal laws, behavior deemed objectionable by PAETEC Park staff, or any behavior that infringes upon other fans’ ability to enjoy the game will be asked to cease such behavior and my be ejected or arrested.

Conduct

(Amendment to article 55 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code)

Non discrimination

Paragraph 1: Anyone who publicly disparages, discriminates against or denigrates someone in a defamatory manner on account of race, colour, language, religion, or ethnic origin, or , perpetrates any other discriminatory and/or contemptuous act, will be subject to match suspension for at least five matches at every level. Furthermore, a stadium ban and a fine of at least CHF 20,000 will be imposed on the perpetrator. If the perpetrator is an official, the fine will be at least CHF 30,000.

Paragraph 2: If spectators display banners bearing discriminatory slogans, or are guilty of any other discriminatory and/or contemptuous behaviour at a match, the appropriate body will impose a sanction of at least CHF 30,000 on the association or club that the spectators concerned support and force it to play its next official match without spectators. If the spectators cannot be identified as supporters of one of the other association or club, the host association or club will be sanctioned accordingly.

Paragraph 3: Any spectator who is guilty of any of the offences specified under par. 1 and/or par. 2 of this article will be banned from entering any stadium for at least two years.

Paragraph 4: If any player, association or club official or spectator perpetrates any kind of discriminatory or contemptuous act as described by par. 1 and/or par. 2 of this article, three points will automatically be deducted from the team concerned, if identifiable, after the first further offence. In the case of a second offence, six points will be automatically deducted, and for a further offence, the team will be relegated. In this case of matches without points, the team concerned, if identifiable will be disqualified.

Paragraph 5: The confederations and associations are required to incorporate the provisions of this article in their statutes and to enforce the sanctions stipulated. If any association infringes this article, it will be excluded from international football for two years.

Flags and Flag Pole Policy

Flags are permitted provided they are not commercial, offensive, or in poor taste. Flags may not obstruct the view of any guests, Stadium signage or present any safety hazards. For safety reasons flag poles of any kind will not be permitted.

First Aid Station

PAETEC Park offers a First Aid Station on the main concourse, conveniently located at the North East corner of the venue adjacent to the Snake Bites concession stand. If immediate first aid is needed, ask any PAETEC Park employee for assistance.

Field Access Policy

Stadium guests are not permitted access to the playing field at any time. Anyone entering the field without proper credentials is subject to removal from the Stadium and arrest.

Guest with Disabilities

The staff and management of PAETEC Park welcome members of the disabled community to PAETEC Park, a state-of-the-art sports and entertainment facility. We are constantly striving to improve our accessibility services at PAETEC Park. Please feel free to contact the ADA Coordinator with any comments, questions, and suggestions.

ADA Coordinator: 585-454-3000 x 118

PAETEC Park, 460 Oak Street, Rochester, NY 14608

Assistive Listening System: An FM Loop System is available at PAETEC Park. Receivers are available through Guest Services. A credit card or driver's license are needed as a deposit. Neck loops and ear speakers are also available.

Guest Services

PAETEC Park Guest Services desk is located on the North East main concourse by the First Aid room. Guest Services will answer any of your questions and assist with any problems once you have arrived at the facility.

Elevator

An elevator for guests with disabilities and for guests traveling to the press box, suite level or 300 level located behind section 111 on the Main South Concourse.

Service Animals

Service animals are permitted in PAETEC Park. Contact our ADA Coordinator if any special requirements are needed.

Handout / Vending Policy

Guests are not allowed to hand out promotional or advertisement brochures, flyers, or any other collateral material to other guests while on the property of PAETEC Park, including parking lots, without prior written approval from Paetec Park. No vendor is permitted to sell merchandise or food/drink of any kind while on the property of PAETEC Park without prior written approval from PAETEC Park.

Horns / Drums / Instruments

PAETEC Park does allow horns, drums and other musical instruments providing they are not a safety hazard to guests and do not block the view of others. Drum sticks must be of the “mallet” kind.

Lost and Found

During an event any items found should be turned into guest services. After a game or event has concluded, lost and found items are transferred to the Security Office, which can be reached during normal business hours at 585-454-5425 .

Lost Children

In the event your child is lost, notify the nearest Safety & Security Officer immediately.

Parking Policy

PAETEC Park parking lots will open 2 hours prior to kickoff. For more information on obtaining parking passes, please contact PAETEC Park at 585 454 5425. There is normally a $5 charge per day for parking for all Stadium events.

Pets

Pets are not allowed at PAETEC Park. Guide dogs and seeing-eye dogs are the exception - they are allowed at PAETEC Park.

Projectiles

The throwing of any projectiles in seating areas, ramps, stairwells, or any other areas is prohibited.

Re-Entry Policy

For most events, ticketed spectators will not be allowed to re-enter the stadium once they leave. Fans are advised to ask gate supervisors prior to leaving the gates.

Restricted Items

Personal food and beverage items, coolers, banners, helium balloons, and sound emitting, non-electronic (air horns, whistles, noisemakers) or electronic devices are not permitted and must remain outside PAETEC Park as well as weapons of any type and laser light pointers.

Smoking

PAETEC Park is a smoke-free building inside the seating bowl. Smoking stations are available behind sections 105, 111, and 121. This guideline is meant to preserve the safety and health of all our guests. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Tailgating Policy

Pre-game tailgating is permitted as long as it is conducted in a safe and respectful manner. Fans are asked to dispose of all trash in units located throughout the parking lot.

Ticketing

The PAETEC Park Box Office is open Monday - Friday, 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM. Saturday 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. All accessible ticketing needs should be made through the PAETEC Park Box Office. Tickets can be purchased in person or by phone at 585-232-1900, or online at Ticketmaster.com.

Umbrellas

Umbrellas may not be brought into the Stadium. In the event of inclement weather, guests are encouraged to bring appropriate apparel such as raincoats, pullovers or ponchos.

Wheelchair Seating

The Stadium contains many seats for wheelchairs as well as seats for companions. Wheelchair accommodations are available within each price level with wheelchair access in designated restrooms, concession stands and other points throughout the venue.

Will Call Policy

Tickets may be picked up (with photo ID) at the Will Call window located at the North Box Office building. The Will Call window will be open at least 2 hours prior to events.

Archived