Canada - Jamaica friendlies announced

jonovision

CDN4EVR posted this in the Montreal stadium thread, but it probably deserves its own. I'd like a couple pre-WC matches as well.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2410

Men's National Team

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Canada Takes On Jamaica This Labour Day in Montreal

Canada's starting eleven against USA in January

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association is pleased to announce that the Men's National Team will play a home and away series of international friendlies against Jamaica this fall.

The first match between the two nations is scheduled for Monday, September 4 (Labour Day) at 4:00 p.m. in Montreal at the Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard.

The second match will take place in Kingston, Jamaica on Sunday, October 8th. The kick off time is still to be determined.

Canada has fared very well against the Reggae Boyz in recent history, outscoring the islanders 14-6 with five wins and only one loss in eleven meetings between the two countries. The last encounter took place on September 2, 1999 in Toronto with Canada's Jim Brennan scoring the only goal of the match in the 53rd minute.

"This is a very good two game series versus Jamaica. They are a quality team with some very good players so we are excited about the challenge,” said Canadian head coach Frank Yallop.

“We are also looking forward to playing in Canada, especially in Montreal, where we hope to continue our recent run of good performances"

Canada is now undefeated without allowing a goal in their last three friendlies since November 16, 2005 with a 1:0 win over Luxembourg, a 0:0 draw with the United States on January 22nd, 2006 in San Diego, California, and most recently a 2:0 win over Austria on March 1st, 2006 in Vienna, Austria.

Matches

Canada vs. Jamaica

Monday, September 4 @ 4:00 p.m.

Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard - 1000, rue Émile-Journault – Montreal, QC, Canada

Sunday, October 8 @ TBD - Kingston, Jamaica

It is good that we are playing some CONCACAF competition and in Canada as well. As a Montrealer I have to admit I am a bit disappointed that it is Jamaica playing here considering some of the more interesting teams that the CSA were rumoured to be negotiating with for a Montreal game. On the other hand remembering that 4 year stretch in which we did not play at home I guess I should be thankful things are changing. It is also probably difficult to attract some of the Euro teams to travel to Canada to play us especially when the venue is a place like CCR.

Well, I think it would be easier to get an european team between may and july to come in Canada when they can play more games in North America.

Since most european league will have started in september, I wonder which kind of team we'll see for those 2 games.

Disappointed that we don't appear to have anything going for May or June as had been rumoured, but nice to hear news of some new matches.

It will be interesting to see how the turn out is in Montreal. Its been awhile since we've played there, to say the least.

If some of the Quebec players such as Grande, Gerba, Occean, Braz, Bernier, Placentino, Haineault, Gervais and Sutton (not from Quebec but a popular Impact player) are in the squad I think we could see a nice crowd. The weather will also be an important factor.

FIFA dates are Sep. 2 & 6 and then Oct. 7 & 11 so all the players are technically available. And they should be available for about a week both months.

Now it would be better if they could schedule 2 games in both those periods. But beggars can't be choosers and crawl before sprint and blah, blah, blah....

Wow. A real home match outside of WCQ which doesn't involve playing our B side against some club team. And in Montreal?

I am shocked. Shocked I say.

Bit hard to plan that far in advance but a quick there & back trip to Montreal may be possible this autumn. Gotta give this a think.

Wonder if this is a CSA peace offering?

Wonder if the scarvs will be ready by then?(Sorry. Couldn't help myself).

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Yeah, because playing Germany, Spain, the US, Austria-those nothing games are terrible for our program.

whoah...something lost in the translation there...all I meant is that we SHOULD be playing games like this against the better CONCACAF teams every couple of months as a rule of thumb, with a good chunk of them at home. It says how poorly off we are as fans and as a program that so many of us get excited by a match like this that would be a regular occurance in a decent footballing nation.

With regular CONCACAF competition helping to keep our focus on the lousy offitiating, brutal crowds, and general pace and style of our conference, THEN, by all means, a decent program would also be playing heaps of games against decent countries in other zones too.

Did I say anything that even remotely suggested devaluing the recent string of competition?

Geez, people on the board get really bitchy (and presumptuous)in between major qualifying tournaments.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Honduras is a club team???

Oop. Forgot that GC warm up in Vancouver. Well that's one in the last 7 years or so. Can anybody think of another?

(If not, that would mean outside of WCQ, the Canadian Mens National Team plays an average of 0.143 matchs each year on home soil against international opponents. Oh, that's nice).

Any-who, really quite curious to see how well this comes off. Labour day Monday and all so there may be a bit of competition for the attention of the Montreal public.

Still, very happy news to be sure.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Disappointed that we don't appear to have anything going for May or June as had been rumoured, but nice to hear news of some new matches.

It will be interesting to see how the turn out is in Montreal. Its been awhile since we've played there, to say the least.

I have been stirring some interest about our mens national team so instead of coming alone i will bring at least ten people it's a start :P

Will be a good crowd. They'll probably advertise it all season with the associations and at Impact games. There *will* be a big Jamaican turnout, so Vs be ready.

Doesn't this game fall square during the USL playoffs? Maybe that'll restrict some of our local players from getting called.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Oop. Forgot that GC warm up in Vancouver. Well that's one in the last 7 years or so. Can anybody think of another?

(If not, that would mean outside of WCQ, the Canadian Mens National Team plays an average of 0.143 matchs each year on home soil against international opponents. Oh, that's nice).

Any-who, really quite curious to see how well this comes off. Labour day Monday and all so there may be a bit of competition for the attention of the Montreal public.

Still, very happy news to be sure.

Game will sell out in Montreal even without the U-Sector contingent of automatons under the control of the evil genius and CSA apologizer, Gianluca! [}:)] [xx(][V][:0];)[}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Game will sell out in Montreal even without the U-Sector contingent of automatons under the control of the evil genius and CSA apologizer, Gianluca! [}:)] [xx(][V][:0];)[}:)]

:D

Archived