Florida Camp Roster Announced

Massive Attack

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The only problem with Olivieri is that he's 5'10 and some coaches aren't comfortable with small keeper at the pro level. That's the reason why he was left out of the 2001 U-20 team, Paul James chosing Zoijtek and Mieuleman instead(both 6,3 keeper).......Despite this I still think that Massimo and The Ref are right about him, very good goalie and definitely underated.

Massimo, you're right he was the back up to Sutton against Barbados.

Olivieri is listed as 5'10" but I'm not so sure about that. I was on the field last year interviewing him after the game against Calgary. I stand 6'2" and standing next to me I am guessing that he was about 5'8" or so. In any case he is a short keeper.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by loyola

The only problem with Olivieri is that he's 5'10 and some coaches aren't comfortable with small keeper at the pro level

Doesn't make a difference to me but on Impact's Web Site he is listed at 5'11.

I agree with you loyola that some coaches aren't comfortable with a smaller goalie. But when it comes down to it, it is the keeper's positioning that is of utmost importance not his size, as well as other factors like, ariel ability, etc. that will determine his skill as a keeper. But that is my opinion. So guys like Andrew prove themselves everytime, they are out there.

I am not saying he will be our starting goalkeeper, but he has shown potential to be a good keeper.

edit: spelling

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Doesn't make a difference to me but on Impact's Web Site he is listed at 5'11.

I agree with you loyola that some coaches aren't comfortable with a smaller goalie. But when it comes down to it, it is the keeper's positioning that is of utmost importance not his size, as well as other factors like, ariel ability, etc. that will determine his skill as a keeper. But that is my opinion. So guys like Andrew prove themselves everytime, they are out there.

I am not saying he will be our starting goalkeeper, but he has shown potential to be a good keeper.

edit: spelling

I guess times have changed that we tend to judge the suitability of a goalkeeper by how tall he/she is and not by the skills and agility. I remember the old days when you will stick in goal the fat kid on a team, just because he was fat and could not run fast. How tall was Gordon Banks? I think he was rather puny and could only see with one eye.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

With Occean attending, Hutchinson accounted for in Dandal's post, there must be a good Bernier transfer rumour out there? Has anybody heard it?

I don't know if Bernier is available for the camp. His team, Tromso qualified for some sort of Scandinavian winter league and they are probably playing in january.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Someone wrote that Watson got picked as Assistant coach because of the old boys network. Doesn't he have coaching experience?

Are there other qualified coaches out there who could assist Yallop?

Stephen Hart is the other assistant coach. I don't have a problem

with Watson there; it's not as if he's been selected to play.

Yallop is the coach and should choose whomever he wants.

It's only a preparation camp.

"11 USLers called to Canadian camp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal Impact News Release - www.montrealimpact.com

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

MONTREAL -- Eleven USL First Division players were invited to Canada's upcoming 10-day training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, from January 13 to 22.

Five Montreal Impact players were invited to the camp. Goalkeeper Andrew Olivieri, defenders Nevio Pizzolitto and Adam Braz, and midfielders Sandro Grande and Patrick Leduc were selected by head coach Frank Yallop.

The Impact leads the USL First Division with the largest team representation since four players were invited from the Vancouver Whitecaps and two from the Toronto Lynx.

Team Canada will be preparing for two friendly games that are slated for February 9th in Belfast, against Northern Ireland, and March 26th, in Barcelos, against Portugal.

"It's very positive for the team," said Montreal Impact head coach Nick DeSantis. "It's great to see that more and more players from our league are being called up. Also, last year's championship gave our players a lot of visibility. But now it's in their hands and they'll have to prove they can be part of the team."

Pizzolitto and Grande return to the senior team, after they had participated in the last World Cup qualifying rounds. Olivieri, part of the Olympic team, will be making its first appearance with the senior team, as will midfielder Patrick Leduc.

"I'm very pleased," said Leduc. "I'm surprised because I was never invited before with the younger teams. I know Frank (Yallop) saw many games last year and was going to call new players. It will be a good way to get to know him and to get more experience."

Other international friendlies will be scheduled in June as Canada will prepare for the 2005 Gold Cup tournament, which will take place in the United States, from July 6th to 24th."

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I may have missed this in the many posts, but does anyone know where Sutton is ? I guess we can only assume he is on trial somewhere or he would have been called.

The lastest from impactsoccer.com forum is that he will be on trial with Fullham next week. Apprently interviewed on the TEAM990 radio station, in Montreal.

http://www.impactsoccer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2961

Don't know what they are stating here because my Danish is very poor (scandalous considering my wife's family is 100 per cent Danish), but it seems to me Reda was invited to the camp but probably isn't coming due to rehabbing his injury and wanting to get to know his new club. But maybe it says something else altogether. [:I]

Aalborg/Reda link

Reda sender afbud til Canada

Af Brian Andersen kl. 09.15

AaB’s nyerhvervede forsvarsspiller Marco Reda er af det canadiske fodboldforbund og landstræner Frank Yallop blevet indkaldt til en træningslejr med landsholdstruppen fra den 12. januar i Miami, Florida.

Men for at få Marco Reda integreret i AaB-truppen så hurtigt som muligt har Reda i samråd med AaB’s cheftræner Erik Hamrén valgt at sende afbud til landsholdssamlingen.

- Det ville have været uheldigt, hvis Marco Reda allerede efter ni dage var rejst igen, så vi er naturligvis glade for, at Marco er enig i denne betragtning, og kan han finde sit niveau i AaB, så skal chancen nok komme igen, vurderer AaB’s sportsdirektør Lynge Jacobsen over for aabsport.dk.

Marco Reda kan således opleves i aktion for AaB, når klubben på søndag deltager i Spar Nord Nytårs Cup i Gigantium Arena i Aalborg.

I øvrigt rejser Rasmus Würtz, Martin Pedersen og Jacob Sørensen senere på måneden af sted med det danske U/21-landshold, mens såvel Martin Ericsson som Trond Andersen i nogenlunde samme tidsrum skal repræsentere henholdsvis

Sverige og Norge.

Jimmy Nielsen?

Han må vente lidt endnu...

Copyright © 2005 AaB A/S. Alle rettigheder forbeholdes.

Just listened to Frank Yallop on Inside Soccer Radio from Saturday,

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/archive.asp?aid=3210

(on segment 9)

, made the following points:

-He has the A-league players there because he is "trying to expand the pool", and if any of them "are brought into the full team, they will be familiar with me". No comment on how the camp was going (started about 2 days before interview), but that it was "fun".

-There will be no friendlies in Florida, only scrimmages as he "doesn't want the players to worry about the results, just to train and play without pressure".

-"Most" of the players in N. Ireland will be Euro players, but will see a few A-league players there he hopes

-U-20's will not also be in Ft Lauderdale, they will be in Bradenton on other coast, so no scrimmaging with them

-when Brian Halliday asked Frank about whether he saw "the extra $150,000" he was promised by the CSA, Frank joked that he would be happy if he saw $150.00 and would even be happy if it was in Canadian funds. In terms of financing, Frank took an indirect backhand swipe at the CSA by saying about the MLS: "They don't mess around in the MLS, they decide to do something and they put the resources into it, on the corporate model. They're approach is 'do it or screw it'. "

-in response to Brian Halliday's comment that the team had no press in Canada, frank first joked that that may be a good thing, but then said that "we have to play some big teams in Canada to raise profile. Then we'll get public interest, and corporate interest will follow"

-Frank said that he suggested to Peters that he sign with Ipswich rather than Chelsea so that he could get some top playing time in with Ipswich which he would not get with Chelsea.

In terms of Peters playing for him in WCQ, Frank's evaluation was that Peters "played well for me, considering that I had to throw him in without training with us".

-In terms of goalkkeepers, Frank said that Sutton and Hirschfeld are now the top of his list, "even if Hirschfeld not playing lately". In terms of promise, he mentioned, first Bergovic at Portsmouth, and "then" Wagenaar.

-in terms of this winter's Friendlies, he says that there will be a lengthy "5-6" days of training in the Algarve before heading up to near Porto for the friendly which will be a great test. He also sadi he is looking forward to N. ireland, as he has never been to Ireland before.

- Frank speaks to the current coach of San Jose "weekly", and agreed that Daniel Rourke would be a good replacement for Mulroney, but was quiet about the Quinn comment that they would need another international to "replace" De Rosario and Donovan.

-Frank corrected Halliday who said that no Canadians in MLS draft, by saying Winston Marshall chosen by Dallas

Listened to the interview as well and I think the $150 000 referred to was Adidas sponsorship of the US team not money promised to him by the CSA. The other interesting point was that Onstad's international career is finished (thank God). The announcers talked a bit about Canada's stadium situation after the interview and one mentioned that he had talked to the Impact's coach at a coaching conference who mentioned that the Impact's owners were talking to the city of Montreal about building a 15 to 17000 seat stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

3 or 4 years, IIRC. I seem to think he retired for good by 1978 but I could be wrong about that.

Banks played for Fort Lauderdale in 1977 and 1978. He conceded 29 goals in 26 matches in '77, but the playoffs didn't go as well. He played in only 11 of 30 games the next season.

Archived