Florida Camp Roster Announced

Massive Attack

Men's World Cup Team

Monday, January 10, 2005

Yallop Announces Florida Training Camp Roster

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s National Team head coach Frank Yallop today named his 16-player roster for the upcoming training camp to be held in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida from January 13-22.

Yallop has selected the majority of his players from the Canadian A-League teams with five players from the A-League champion Montreal Impact, four from the Vancouver Whitecaps and two from the Toronto Lynx.

The Impact players include 2004 Olympic team players Adam Braz and Andrew Olivieri as well as defender Nevio Pizzolitto who was playing with San Diego of the MISL up until last week when the franchise folded. Sandro Grande, who appeared in four World Cup Qualifiers last year will attend the camp along with newcomer Patrick Leduc.

Yallop has called in Ali Gerba and Tyler Hughes from the Lynx for the camp. Gerba (who changed his last name from Ngon to Gerba) was Toronto’s leading scorer during the 2004 season and was capped six times with the Under-20 team between 1999 and 2001. Tyler Hughes has been on trial in England with Darlington. He spent the 2004 season with the Lynx and played for Canada during the development camp in Vancouver last summer.

The Whitecaps will send Alfredo Valente, who was also part of the development camp last summer, along with 2004 Olympic team member Kevin Harmse and defender Geordie Lyall. Striker Jason Jordan who was called in for game against Germany in 2003 but did not play, has also been selected.

Others invited to the camp include defender Winston Marshall, who played for Canada at the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship and goalkeeper Kenny Stamatopoulos, who was capped against Malta in 2001. Midfielder Chris Pozniak from Haugesun in Sweden and striker Olivier Occean from Odd Grenland in Norway both played in Canada’s 1-0 win over Guatemala on November 17. Midfielder Robbie Aristodemo (who was capped seven times for the senior team between 1998 and 2000) has been given permission by the Cleveland Force of the MISL to join the camp as well.

“This camp will give me the opportunity to see some players for the first time in a training camp environment,” said Yallop. “I have seen most of them play with their club teams but it will be great to have them for a good period of time and see them up close.”

The team will play two to three exhibition games during the camp.

Canadian Roster For Florida Training Camp

Name Pos Club DOB Caps Goals/Shutouts

Andrew Olivieri GK Montreal Impact 3/27/81 0 0

Kenny Stamatopoulos GK Enkopping, Sweden 8/26/76 1 0

Adam Braz D Montreal Impact, A-League 6/7/81 1 0

Nevio Pizzolitto D Montreal Impact, A-League 8/26/76 6 0

Kevin Harmse D Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 7/4/84 0 0

Geordie Lyall D Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 9/15/76 0 0

Tyler Hughes D Toronto Lynx, A-League 11/11/80 0 0

Winston Marshall D Wright State University 2/26/83 0 0

Chris Pozniak D/M Haugesund, Swedish First Div. 1/10/81 9 0

Robbie Aristodemo M Cleveland Force/Toronto Lynx 5/20/77 7 0

Alfredo Valente M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 11/6/80 0 0

Sandro Grande M Montreal Impact, A-League 9/29/77 4 0

Patrick Leduc M Montreal Impact, A-League 12/26/77 0 0

Ali Gerba F Toronto Lynx, A-League 7/27/82 0 0

Olivier Occean F Odd Grenland, Norwegian Premier 10/23/81 7 0

Jason Jordan F Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 5/30/78 0 0

Staff

Frank Yallop Head Coach

Mark Watson Assistant Coach

Stephen Hart Assistant Coach

Mike Moretto Equipment Manager

Kevin Wagner Physiotherapist

Morgan Quarry Manager

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2004

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only two full-time professionals?

feck. all the talk is lack of preparation from the top to the bottom of the csa, yet when they get a chance to call everyone together they call players who have little to no chance of being the first choice eleven! save me, jebus.

who are we playing during this camp? (any chance we'll have another serioux/simpson!?!?!?!)

No, this camp makes perfect sense to me. Why pull our European players away from their clubs for a camp in Florida? We've been calling for a Canadian B-squad to play games in North America, and this is exactly what we've got. This gives Frank a chance to check out some other players, and may give some of them a chance to land trials in Europe (though this is massive speculation on my part.) I'd imagine that if a few of these lads do well during camp, Frank will likely bring them out for the Northern Ireland game. A camp like this is great incentive for our A-league guys and may lead to transfers and trials in Europe or in the MLS. It is a smart idea, couple with the two friendlies already announced for February and March.

Well, they couldn't call more players from Europe, other than maybe Jasic from Kazan (who may be busy trialling somewhere else), Hutchinson (ditto) and Hirschfeld (ditto), and Sutton and DeRo are busy trialling as well. The Belgian and German league players are in important preparation camps for the restart of their seasons. They are A players anyway. This is clearly a B camp for promising players, and not for preparation for Northern Ireland. Anything from here to late june is more for player selection than preparation, we have a FIFA mandated 15 days before the Gold cup for real preparation.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

We've been calling for a Canadian B-squad to play games in North America, and this is exactly what we've got.

It is a smart idea, couple with the two friendlies already announced for February and March.

Exactly. Those who were asking for Kenny, Geordie Lyall, Ali Gerba, et. al. are getting what they wished for.

Maybe Yallop IS checking out this forum after all. I'm sure some of these guys will be at a few friendlies in Europe with the "A" squad.

Guess the omission of Onstad, Watson, Corrazin, etc. may be a sign

of things to come. Good call, Frank.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Heck, i kno i might be lynched for this. But a B-Team that plays togeather all the time, might be better then an A-team that plays togeather once in a blue moon. So the more games and the stronger our player pool gets the better.

No. I think that your point is well taken and has some merit. Also, I am not crazy of the idea to automatically dismiss anyone just because they are in the A-league. If there is one thing that I have learned during Yallop's tenure is that there are SOME a-leaguers who can make a valuable contributions given a chance. For that, you gotta give Yallop credit. Would Serioux have been given the chance to play in Millwall were it not for Yallop? Perhaps the only reason that they are in the a-league, is because they haven't been at the right spot at the right time. Quite Frankly, Over the past 2-3 years, I have began to appreciate the quality of player that the A-league can produce. It won't produce int'l stars, but under certain circumstances, the a-league can produce usefull contributors. And more importantly, being called to the MNT will give them valuable exposure that can ultimately be the big carreer boost that they are missing. Just look at how significant the impact of a-leaguers was in the U20 team in 2003 compared to the poor performance that our a-leaguers offerred at the U20 WC in 2001. If anything, that tells you how much the a-league has improved over that span of time.

Lets be honnest, We still have much talent playing in lower divisions or smaller leagues. How much better can those standards be compared to teh a-league. Has anyone had the chance to watch some of crap soccer that we have been exposed to watching those recent FA cup matches on Fox Sportworld. I did for the first time last fall and there is no way in the world that the a-league could be a worst environment than some of that calibre that I saw from conferance football.

The only question I have is the age of these players called. Many are late 20's and can't possibly be at their peek in 2008. another thing to question is, how many people would pay to go see thse guys represent Canada as opposed to the likes of Rad, Stalteri, deGuzman, Devos.

Is Robbie coming back to the Lynx or is that just a bit of CSA old information that hasn't been updated?

Nice to see him finally get another look, in any event - and with Ali getting a look at the same time. I guess the only Lynx player we still need to complain about getting snubbed is Edgar Bartolomeu. After all, we can never be satisfied. :)

Mark Watson & Stephen Hart are the assistant coaches, interestingly.

The Russian teams have either started or will start shortly training for next season so I doubt Jazic would be free. At this point in early training he could probably be excused but I doubt he would be interested in a training camp unless an A-level friendly was involved. I have been following the Russian press and Kuban's website and haven't heard any mention of Jazic whatsoever either regarding transferring or playing with Kuban. He has a very generous three year contract with the club and they are a favourite for promotion so I think he will stay put. If any transfer does occur it will probably be within Russia as he will not want to give up his current contract and at the moment probably would not get a similar offer elsewhere.

7 Québécois players (6 who went through the Impact) are on this roster, showing the importance of strong domestic teams. For many years until Yallop (essentially), there was almost no Québec representation despite the success of the youth teams at national competitions.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Is Robbie coming back to the Lynx or is that just a bit of CSA old information that hasn't been updated?

Nice to see him finally get another look, in any event - and with Ali getting a look at the same time. I guess the only Lynx player we still need to complain about getting snubbed is Edgar Bartolomeu. After all, we can never be satisfied. :)

Mark Watson & Stephen Hart are the assistant coaches, interestingly.

I've heard plenty of rumours saying he'll be back, but this is the first "official" word of Robbie being with the club again.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Who knows, maybe Watson can be a good coach. But the optics sure don't look good. One could be forgiven for thinking "Boys club"

Maybe you are right, but that is not the same thing as putting him on the field. Don't forget that the actual 2nd in C is Dale Mitchell, and he is busy with the U-20's who have a camp there at the 18th.

In terms of friendlies, I'm sure a scrimmage tih the U-20's is in the cards. I also expect to see a match with some Nordic or German club training in the region.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Who knows, maybe Watson can be a good coach. But the optics sure don't look good. One could be forgiven for thinking "Boys club"

Maybe you are right, but that is not the same thing as putting him on the field. Don't forget that the actual 2nd in C is Dale Mitchell, and he is busy with the U-20's who have a camp there at the 18th.

In terms of friendlies, I'm sure a scrimmage tih the U-20's is in the cards. I also expect to see a match with some Nordic or German club training in the region.

Considering that the announcement text specifies that Gerba and Hughes are the two Lynx players invited, I assume that the Aristodemo Lynx reference (in the roster list) is just old info (key word: assume).

Is a back-up keeper (Olivieri) really better than a consistent A-League starter (Zagar)?

Why is Kojic (who seemed to have a solid season according to VG-Nett ratings) the only Scandinaavian-based player to never get a look-see?

Hasn't Sulentic been one of the better Whitecaps?

Considering that the announcement text specifies that Gerba and Hughes are the two Lynx players invited, I assume that the Aristodemo Lynx reference (in the roster list) is just old info (key word: assume).

Is a back-up keeper (Olivieri) really better than a consistent A-League starter (Zagar)?

Why is Kojic (who seemed to have a solid season according to VG-Nett ratings) the only Scandinaavian-based player to never get a look-see?

Hasn't Sulentic been one of the better Whitecaps?

I don't know how old is Zagar but I would think that he's a bit older than Olivieri (29-30 compare to 23 yars old). The objective of that kind of camp is to give experience to younger players like Olivieri. And to be honest from what I saw this summer I think that Olivieri is not that far behind the best keeper in the A-League(Sutton).

I don't know how old is Zagar but I would think that he's a bit older than Olivieri (29-30 compare to 23 yars old). The objective of that kind of camp is to give experience to younger players like Olivieri. And to be honest from what I saw this summer I think that Olivieri is not that far behind the best keeper in the A-League(Sutton).

Archived