Florida Camp Roster Announced

Massive Attack

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Heck, i kno i might be lynched for this. But a B-Team that plays togeather all the time, might be better then an A-team that plays togeather once in a blue moon. So the more games and the stronger our player pool gets the better.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt jamaica (i think) qualify for the 98 WC with a largly b-team and then get lots of stick for using their european based players in the world cup (and failing to do well), most of whom did not even attend games in qualifying?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Heck, i kno i might be lynched for this. But a B-Team that plays togeather all the time, might be better then an A-team that plays togeather once in a blue moon. So the more games and the stronger our player pool gets the better.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt jamaica (i think) qualify for the 98 WC with a largly b-team and then get lots of stick for using their european based players in the world cup (and failing to do well), most of whom did not even attend games in qualifying?

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Not quite - they started qualifying with one team, made the Hex & by the 2nd half of the hex were using a lot of English players they discovered had Jamaican roots & qualified with those players - so their original "A" team soon became a B team with a change & upgrade in personnel.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I like the B-team idea and think its good to see some of these players getting a look-see. The main surprise absentee for me is Gervais.

Might be that he has a full-time job at Saputo as an engineer during the offseason?

And Jamaica did decent, winning one game 2-1 against Japan.

This camp is just great to see, the bigger our talent pool the better. A little friendly competition for positions cant be bad for a national team.

It will be interesting to see who the opponents will be in the exhibition matches. It would be great if they could play some matches against CONCACAF teams, just to really start introducing players to regional teams as Yallop has indicated. Im sure that there are plenty of decent quality carribean nations who would jump at the chance.

From a Vancouver perspective I'm glad that Lyall and Harmse got called.I believe both possess qualities that a national team quality player needs.A good mix of speed,hustle and soccer sense.Both have not been looked at at this level.Alfredeo,Sulentic and Jordan have had calls in the past.I would have liked to have seen Sulentic and Justin Thompsons name on the list but there are only so many spots.Maybe in a future NA camp.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Is a back-up keeper (Olivieri) really better than a consistent A-League starter (Zagar)?

Maybe this will presuade you;

While Andrew was at Southern Connecticut State University he won the conference title each of his four years. Made the all-star teams each year. In his first year, had a record of 20-0-0 and a 0.40 goals against average. At the international level, he was the starting goalkeeper for the U-23 Canadian Olympic team for the Athens Olympics qualifying tournament. Was named to the second all-star team and Canada didn't even qualify!

In my opinion, he is the diamond in the rough. This guy deserves what is coming to him. Will defenitely be Impact's starting keeper this coming season. Don't be surprised if some clubs come knocking within the next couple of years.

If I'm not mistaken, Zagar got a look during one of the B friendlies last summer n'est pas? As well, Sulentic was at last year's Florida camp and played in the friendly.

Maybe it's a matter of seen it versus haven't seen it. The same may apply for Brillant.

Just a side note. If I remember correctly, Andrew Olivieri was on the bench during the Barbados friendly last year, as Onstad was injured during the training camp. andrew was with the U-23 team was preparing for Olympic qualifying tournament. He never left the bench though as Sutton played the whole match.

The only problem with Olivieri is that he's 5'10 and some coaches aren't comfortable with small keeper at the pro level. That's the reason why he was left out of the 2001 U-20 team, Paul James chosing Zoijtek and Mieuleman instead(both 6,3 keeper).......Despite this I still think that Massimo and The Ref are right about him, very good goalie and definitely underated.

Massimo, you're right he was the back up to Sutton against Barbados.

Some of you are happy to see the A leaguers get a chance, which is okay, if they have upside potential because they are young.

Pizzolitto and Lyall perform well in the A League but were born in 76 so they are effectively 28 years old. Aristodemo, Grande and Leduc are 77s, so they also don't have much upside. It may be cold hearted to look at it this way, but its reality.

The selection of Gerba is good, he's 22 compared to Jordans 26, and he scored twice as many goals as Jordan in the A League last year.

Its tough to comment more on Yallop's choices because we don't know who he asked, and who's not available. For all we know, when the CSA first planned this camp, they may have anticipated a very different roster.

I agree with beachesl that this is simply a chance for Yallop to see 16 players, and he'll probably only take 3 or 4 for the friendlies.

Like I've mentionned elsewhere (somewhere :P), we still need vets. We can't just go straight to a U25 team because others will be too old or whatever for WCQ. We have to promote these youngsters, but keep the bets elements on AS LONG AS THEY CAN PERFORM - that means no more "Who ate all the pasta?" threads ;).

Btw, Leduc is the Impact's designated penalty taker after Mauro Biello ****ed up twice including once to save our ass in the playoffs in 2003. He hasn't missed as of yet.

Greetings from Plymouth. I guess Jason Bent has completely disappeared off the national team scene because he doesn't have a club? Anyone got any recent news of him? Not been mentioned in the British press since he went home after his trial at Motherwell last year.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Iker Casillas is 5'11.

Casillas is 6'1 (185 cm) http://ikercasillas.soccerfantalk.info/mainpage.htm?

But I agree that you can find some example of really good keeper being under 6'0, Shay Given might be the best example, Barthez was 6'0. The thing is that a lot of coaches are reluctant to look at small keeper. I remember reading that a young canadian keeper had a lot of trials with english clubs 3-4 yrs back and couldn't find anything because of his size.

quote:Originally posted by Rupert

Greetings from Plymouth. I guess Jason Bent has completely disappeared off the national team scene because he doesn't have a club? Anyone got any recent news of him? Not been mentioned in the British press since he went home after his trial at Motherwell last year.

Hi Rupert. How's are things in Plymouth these days?

I haven't heard a thing about Jason Bent recently, he's seems to have become a mystery man. At the very least you'd think there be an A-league job waiting for him in Toronto, so perhaps we'll hear from something soon when the new A-league season gets underway.

Archived