UCL games on CBS

Goal_Kick

4 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

A simple heads up:  CBS will be showing a UEFA Champions League game on Tuesday and Wednesday, both at noon PDT, on their main network channel.

No word yet about which games will be shown.  Fingers crossed for Man City/Bayern on Tuesday.

Checked the CBS sports website and it will be Man City v Bayern and Chelsea v Real Madrid on the main CBS

This is a pretty good year for catching televised games in Canada  

1. UCL on CBS as mentioned
  2. La Liga in TSN
  3. Bundesliga on SN
  4. EPL on NBC
  5. Serie A on TLN
  6. Ligue 1 on TV5 

All of that is on a basic cable service.   You got all of the big competitions covered in the list above.  Thankfully, you don't need to get ripped off by wasting your money on those stupid app's and streaming services.  

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:
  1. EPL on NBC

Flipping through the channels on Rogers Cable in London, Ont a few months back and suddenly seeing an English game on a Detroit channel is something that still blows me a way to a certain extent. Doesn't seem that long ago that the only soccer you would get that sort of way was a Crunch indoors game from Cleveland with Hector Marinaro as the main man.

I was thinking the same, not a streamer here and we have cut back the cable so no SN.  Its been good, except TSN CDN MLS games are probably cut in half, and what a guy wants to watch (CPL) is on streaming.  CBS does he CL right with the pregame show, nice production.   

Edited by Bison44

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

2. La Liga in TSN
  3. Bundesliga on SN
  4. EPL on NBC
  5. Serie A on TLN
  6. Ligue 1 on TV5 

All of that is on a basic cable service.   You got all of the big competitions covered in the list above.  Thankfully, you don't need to get ripped off by wasting your money on those stupid app's and streaming services.  

And I notice the FA Cup semi-final games will be televised on Sportsnet on April 22/23.

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

2. La Liga in TSN
  3. Bundesliga on SN
  4. EPL on NBC
  5. Serie A on TLN
  6. Ligue 1 on TV5 

They were all available last year. Most have been available for a few years. 

Though, Serie A on TLN has been reduced to just Sunday as of a couple of years ago. Saturday PL matches on NBC have been slightly reduced this season as they have shifted focus to USA network and peacock. And MLS matches have been reduced.

Other than for La Liga, you're just getting a sampling. This doesn't meet the needs of a passionate viewership base but is fragmented as they usually follow closely only one club/league.

Sports cable subscribers were subsidized by entertainment viewers who didn't watch sports but were ripped off by paying for sports channels as part of the bundle. With most entertainment viewers now having left for the Netflix type services, sports streaming pricing reflects the truer cost.

In the current economic clmate, consumers are (or should be) looking for bang for buck for their viewing content, streaming or traditional.  And it is a landscape in flux:  I signed up for a year of DAZN about 16 months ago and then they lost the EPL and MLS, though they kept the latter rounds of  CL.  So, no renewal for me on that one.  If Apple was able to package another high profile league to a subscription along with MLS, that might change my perspective.  But at the moment, I am not signing up.

Frankly, I don't know how some people can find the time to watch all this soccer, live or recorded.  

22 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

In the current economic clmate, consumers are (or should be) looking for bang for buck for their viewing content, streaming or traditional.  And it is a landscape in flux:  I signed up for a year of DAZN about 16 months ago and then they lost the EPL and MLS, though they kept the latter rounds of  CL.  So, no renewal for me on that one.  If Apple was able to package another high profile league to a subscription along with MLS, that might change my perspective.  But at the moment, I am not signing up.

Frankly, I don't know how some people can find the time to watch all this soccer, live or recorded.  

Cost and value for the money makes no sense with those streaming services.  I looked at the one that currently has the EPL and was totally shocked at how much its costs per month!!!. I am still in shock,   It costs more (or roughly about the same)  than an entire cable package that has all those channels I listed in my post above hence you'll pay less than with a cable package and get all the major competitions from Europe that you'll need.   And I am not forced to take all those crappy channels (that have no programming and just filler) that that streaming service forces you to take.   Funny, but wasn't  that exactly the biggest complaint (that we are forced to take channels we don't want) we all have with the cables services from the large telecoms?

I had a similar experience (that you had with DAZN) as you but with a basketball channel for FIBA games.  First it was on a specific streaming channel/services,  then it moved and there was nothing left to show on that channel,  then again it moved to and an in-house service.  Luckily,  those ones were easy to cancel but many of the other ones are not simple to cancel and they make it hard to find the page where you have to go to cancel.  Plus the quality of the stream varies.   

Your lucky if there is one game a month that you really want see on service like the ones i am referring to.  And many of those matchups are the kind that you might be only person in the world watching those two teams.  Heck,  Youtube shows some games (for Fiba basketball anyways and maybe even soccer) for free so how can they get away with charging for the kind of low profile matchups or events that youtube will show for free.

PS.:  I am not referring to Netflix here,  just the streaming servces for sports.  

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Cost and value for the money makes no sense with those streaming services.  I looked at the one that currently has the EPL and was totally shocked at how much its costs per month!!!. I am still in shock,   It costs more (or roughly about the same)  than an entire cable package that has all those channels I listed in my post above hence you'll pay less than with a cable package and get all the major competitions from Europe that you'll need.   And I am not forced to take all those crappy channels (that have no programming and just filler) that that streaming service forces you to take.   Funny, but wasn't  that exactly the biggest complaint (that we are forced to take channels we don't want) we all have with the cables services from the large telecoms?

If you signed up for Fubo by June 30th last year you could get 1 year for $100 flate rate.

Even now its $200 for a 1 year subscription. That is still less than it costs me to add TSN + Sportsnet to my cable package.

I pay for 2 services here in Australia largely to watch football. Optus has the Premier League and La Liga, plus the J League and K League, I think. Stan has the UEFA competitions....Champions League, Europa League, and ECL. My missus wouldn't be on board with me paying an additional $20/month to get Bein, which has Ligue Un, the SPFL, Serie A, and MLS, so I just don't watch those leagues unless I can blag a mate's log in for the odd match.

When I am back in Vancouver, if it's during the European football season, I'll just pay for a month of whichever service I need to watch Liverpool matches. In the last year, I've paid for DAZN and Fubo during my two stays back home. I found Fubo to be better than DAZN on most measures. My brother also got to watch some obscure cooking shows on Fubo after I'd returned to Melbourne, and he remained back home for a further week. 

51 minutes ago, narduch said:

If you signed up for Fubo by June 30th last year you could get 1 year for $100 flate rate.

Even now its $200 for a 1 year subscription. That is still less than it costs me to add TSN + Sportsnet to my cable package.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+does+fubo+tv+cost&rlz=1CDGOYI_enCA682CA682&oq=how+much+does+fubo+tv&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i57j0i512l3j0i22i30l3j0i10i22i30j0i22i30.11232j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Last night, i typed the same question in the search engine that i pasted in the link above.  Last night it said $92 A MONTH!   Are you kidding me?   :) 

Funny how now it says $75. Isnt this also the kind of stuff that we used to complain about the big telecoms and their cable services.   Inconsitent pricing and force feeding channels you dont want.   Reality is,  these services are no better than the big telecoms.  Eventually,  even Netflix will start gouging you. 

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+does+fubo+tv+cost&rlz=1CDGOYI_enCA682CA682&oq=how+much+does+fubo+tv&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i57j0i512l3j0i22i30l3j0i10i22i30j0i22i30.11232j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Last night, i typed the same question in the search that i pasted in the link above.  Last night it said $92 A MONTH!   Are you kidding me?   :) 

Funny how now it says $75. Isnt this also the kind of stuff that we used to complain about the big telecoms and they’re cable services.   Inconsitent pricing and force feeding channels you dont want.   Reality is,  these services are no better than the big telecoms.  Eventually,  even Netflix will start gouging you. 

You are linking the American fee. They have many more channels in the US.

They have 2 different tiers in Canada.

The lower tier which has all the soccer games is $200 per year.

They have another tier that is trying to mimic cable. That is $380 per year.

Screenshot_20230417_233153_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

I had a similar experience (that you had with DAZN) as you but with a basketball channel for FIBA games.  First it was on a specific streaming channel/services,  then it moved and there was nothing left to show on that channel,  then again it moved to and an in-house service.  Luckily,  those ones were easy to cancel but many of the other ones are not simple to cancel and they make it hard to find the page where you have to go to cancel.  Plus the quality of the stream varies.   

Your lucky if there is one game a month that you really want see on service like the ones i am referring to.  And many of those matchups are the kind that you might be only person in the world watching those two teams.  Heck,  Youtube shows some games (for Fiba basketball anyways and maybe even soccer) for free so how can they get away with charging for the kind of low profile matchups or events that youtube will show for free.

PS.:  I am not referring to Netflix here,  just the streaming servces for sports.  

Thanks for the basketball example.  With another major league sport, one of the complaints about the NFL Pass on Youtube is that you can't just watch one preferred team (or maybe more) at a lower price.  It's a high priced all or nothing choice.  So, if you are a huge Steelers fan living in Seattle, you might like to  get a package that has only the 17 regular season Steelers games that you would not necessarily get to see on local Seattle tv.  However, that is not an option.  The NFL leverages its standing as the worldwide king of pointy ball because they know fans will pay so I don't expect a change in options for Youtube.

Rob Manfred says the quiet part out loud.

If sports fans aren't happy now for paying for the ever truer cost of watching as the bundle model erodes, then the broadcasters will need to stop offering to pay always higher rights fees. 

Leagues & players will also need to scale back. Again, Manfred seems to be most self-aware.

There will be a downward tick on the revenue side. I think it’s going to be a trough,” Manfred said. “I firmly believe in the value of the content. And I really believe that we’re smart enough to figure out a combination of distribution mechanisms that keeps that revenue stream as a growing stream. If I’m wrong — and you know, I can be wrong — if I’m wrong, yeah, the relationship between revenue and player salaries in sports is pretty clear. Even if it’s not fixed in a salary cap system, our number is 48% (of revenue goes to players) kind of every year. … If revenue goes down, it’s bad for everybody involved.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 11:02 PM, Kadenge said:

To quote Borjan " what a fucking game"  btw RM & City. Its a shame these 2 teams met in the semis. That was a game worthy of a final. Incredible quality of talent on the field. 

Ended up watching with tons of people on the street. In front of a screen in a shop window.

The only thing that surprised me was how Man City defended positionally and ball watched later in the 2nd half. No press, just stand in front of the rival. No real interest in getting a second. And Madrid broke through at times and could have scored. Man City has a possession identity, fair enough, and imposed it. Then had a dubious identity defending, as was the case last year. Pep has never favoured those nasty, or high character players, who can grind it out for you.

Heard a brilliant YT clip of Thierry Henry saying Haaland makes the same runs and never adjusts, comparing how if you have different players assisting you might make them in different ways. Anyways he was defended brilliantly by Rudiger, suggesting maybe EPL defenders could learn a bit, which is odd considering Rudiger is an EPL defender.