Road to Australia/New Zealand

red card

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Isn't it, as the wankers like to say, "Bar-tha"? 😄 

Even the Madrid supporters respect the "s", they say "Barsa" and then "Farsa" (farce). Which reflects the Catalan pronunciation, closer to old French, not the Castillian "th" on the z or s or sometimes c in Spanish.

"Barca" is a boat.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Funded by FIFA sponsor Xero, 5k tickets each for 4 matches in New Zealand are being given away. With only 26% share of ticket sales, New Zealand has lagged Australia. Lowest priced ticket was $20 in local currency for adults & $10 for kids.

The 4 matches of least interest seem to be:

Match 3: 21 July 5pm – Dunedin – Philippines vs Switzerland
Match 5: 21 July 7.30pm – Wellington – Spain v Costa Rica
Match 6: 22 July 7pm – Hamilton – Zambia v Japan
Match 20: 26 July 7.30pm – Auckland – Spain v Zambia

1.25 million in total have now been sold which is getting close to the record 1.35 million sold in Canada. Though, there were double counting of tickets in Canada as group stage matches were all double headers.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/fifa-womens-world-cup-2023/300925640/fifa-womens-world-cup-20000-free-tickets-on-offer-for-four-games

Edited by red card

Travel could be an issue for teams as there is a wide gulf. Canada will have the 4th most travel in the group stage with 6836km. But group foe Ireland will travel the most at 8252km, followed by Denmark at 7856km and Jamaica at 7348km.

Teams based in New Zealand will generally have the least travel. Both Norway & Zambia are only going 246km as they travel between Auckland & Hamilton. Sweden at 520km and Italy at 640km are the only other teams travelling less than 1000km.

WWC-Map-B-1-1.jpg

Edited by red card

Looks like Greatness is the word for this World Cup.

3d Sinclair is in Lay's ad. That would make 3 I have seen in the run up to the World Cup with Sinclair in Visa & Subway ads.

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, red card said:

Looks like Greatness is the word for this World Cup.

3d Sinclair is in Lay's ad. That would make 3 I have seen in the run up to the World Cup with Sinclair in Visa & Subway ads.

Did I blink and miss Christine in the Adidas ad? I did miss Ian Wright on my first viewing, so I may have missed her, as well.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Did I blink and miss Christine in the Adidas ad? I did miss Ian Wright on my first viewing, so I may have missed her, as well.

I thought I saw Sinc in the Bud ad. But she can't be in adidas ad since she is with Nike.

Here are the 2 best international ads I have come across so far. 

England says it was unlimited subs and Canada used 17 players:

Similsola Awujo, Kadeisha Buchanan, Allysha Chapman, Jessie Fleming, Vanessa Gilles, Julia Grosso, Jordyn Huitema, Cloé Lacasse, Ashley Lawrence, Adriana Leon, Nichelle Prince, Quinn, Jayde Riviere, Deanne Rose, Kailen Sheridan, Christine Sinclair, Olivia Smith

So, outfield players not used were just arrived Viens & Carle along with Zadorsky & Schmidt.

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Jul/14/england-women-canada-0-0-behind-closed-doors-game-20231407

Edited by red card

Australia defeated France 1-0 in a warm-up match. France beat Ireland last week 3-0. Canada lost to France 2-1 in April.

Ireland's closed door match with Colombia was stopped after about 23 minutes as the NC Courage player Denise O'Sullivan suffered an injury.

FAI said became overly physical and it was decided, following consultation with the match officials, to end the game.

Colombia's Daniela Caracas told supporters while signing autographs "They are just girls, one little foul and they started complaining. They were having a chat amongst themselves to continue or not so we weren’t going to hang around waiting for them. Let them eat shit."

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/11031858/denise-osullivan-hospital-ireland-abandoned/

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/colombia-player-eat-s-ireland-30471107

On 7/14/2023 at 9:05 AM, red card said:

Funded by FIFA sponsor Xero, 5k tickets each for 4 matches in New Zealand are being given away. With only 26% share of ticket sales, New Zealand has lagged Australia. Lowest priced ticket was $20 in local currency for adults & $10 for kids.

The 4 matches of least interest seem to be:

Match 3: 21 July 5pm – Dunedin – Philippines vs Switzerland
Match 5: 21 July 7.30pm – Wellington – Spain v Costa Rica
Match 6: 22 July 7pm – Hamilton – Zambia v Japan
Match 20: 26 July 7.30pm – Auckland – Spain v Zambia

1.25 million in total have now been sold which is getting close to the record 1.35 million sold in Canada. Though, there were double counting of tickets in Canada as group stage matches were all double headers.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/fifa-womens-world-cup-2023/300925640/fifa-womens-world-cup-20000-free-tickets-on-offer-for-four-games

The World Cup has only started to feature prominently in the media over the last week or so in NZ, but it is really ramping up. Kiwis are notorious for last minute ticket buying, so some will be caught out by not being able to get tickets at stadiums. Hopefully NZ can over achieve to create more buzz, but their game against the Swiss in Dunedin has already sold out. 

Matildas via their PFA union release video to address disputes over A-League pay, World Cup prize monies, kit, the standard of pitches (i.e. Canada) and access to opportunities.

A-League minimums are currently A$20,608, going to 25k for next season.

Nielsen, who predicted England winning the Euros, says their simulation models say the USA has the best chance of winning at 18%. Sweden & Germany are next at 11%. Australia is at 8% while Canada is 6%. Canada will finish second in Group B.

US v Germany is most likely final at 5.9%. 

https://www.nielsen.com/womens-world-cup-2023-data-hub/

Most-likely-WC-2023-e1689604926171.png

Edited by red card

Based on ELO, US has 28% chance of winning it all even though US is ranked second by ELO. Australia has 3% chance while Canada is at 1% with 2.8% chance of being in the Final. Canada has a 93% chance of being in the top 2 of Group B while Australia is at 94%.

Canada is 11th ranked by ELO vs FIFA's 7th ranking. The latter was used by Nielsen in its simulation.

image (1).png

Edited by red card

On 7/18/2023 at 1:48 AM, The Ref said:

Will there be free streaming of the Women World Cup games in some website or YouTube?

Only free matches will be the 8 on CTV. If you can get Fox via antenna, then there 29 to watch. TSN/TSN+/RDS have all the matches

There will be lots of free streams on the interwebs but nothing that will last the full match on Youtube. You'll need to trawl the seven seas to find a good quality feed in your preferred language/broadcaster.

39 minutes ago, red card said:

Only free matches will be the 8 on CTV. If you can get Fox via antenna, then there 29 to watch. TSN/TSN+/RDS have all the matches

There will be lots of free streams on the interwebs but nothing that will last the full match on Youtube. You'll need to trawl the seven seas to find a good quality feed in your preferred language/broadcaster.

Thanks for your reply and information.  It seems so unfair that the biggest sport event of women football/soccer is only for fans who have TV.   I would have thought that Fifa would stream the Cup, but no dice.

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

Thanks for your reply and information.  It seems so unfair that the biggest sport event of women football/soccer is only for fans who have TV.   I would have thought that Fifa would stream the Cup, but no dice.

You can sign up for TSN's streaming service even if you don't have cable. I think it's called TSN Direct. I plan on signing up for it tomorrow.