Road to Australia/New Zealand

red card

Ireland looks to be a tough out for Canada. Unless gifted, they won't score but can Canada score on them. 

1-0 loss at the new St. Louis City stadium. American fans are already joshing to bet the over on the number of yellow cards Ireland will receive at the World Cup.

NYT also had a look at the shadow of abuse enveloping the Irish team. Ireland's national coach, Vera Pauw, was cited in a NWSL report last year of shaming Houston players in 2018 about their weight and attempting to “exert excessive control over their eating habits.” 

She was also accused of exerting control over players’ personal lives while living in the same apartment complex. The accusations included knocking on a player’s door at night and inviting herself inside; favouring some players by inviting them over for coffee and biscuits.

Last year, Pauw said that she had been raped by a Dutch soccer official when she was a player and that she had also been sexually assaulted by two other men.

Then we have Sinead Farrelly returning to play after being a NWSL whistleblower. She accused Paul Riley had coerced her into a years long sexual relationship and once manipulated her into kissing a teammate with the Thorns in front of him in exchange for a less strenuous team practice. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/11/sports/soccer/ireland-soccer-abuse.html

Edited by red card

FIFA spokesperson said ticket sales were at 750k. This is halfway to the goal of 1.5 million. 650k tickets were sold before the last sales phase opened up on April 11th

Sales are outpacing the 720k tickets that had been sold with 50 days to go in 2019 but with less teams & matches. Total tickets sold ended up being just over 1 million.

7 matches are sold out so far. All of Australia’s group matches and China vs England in Adelaide as well as both semi-finals and final.

Trophy tour landed in Toronto today. The women's trophy is only on show at the World Cup draw, the pre-tournament tour and the World Cup's opening match and closing ceremony.

The current trophy, designed by William Sawaya of the Milan firm Sawaya and Moroni, weighs 4.6 kg and stands 47 cm tall. It is made from gold-plated brass with a base made from candeias granite. 

Those on hand Wednesday at downtown restaurant included Australian High Commissioner Scott Ryan, New Zealand High Commissioner Martin Harvey, former Canadian internationals Diana Matheson, Robyn Gayle and Jonelle Filigno and Canada Soccer general secretary Earl Cochrane and president Charmaine Crooks.

Cochrane on labour talks: ...there's some meaningful things being planned. I would say that in the next coming weeks, we hope to at least take steps towards getting things finalized and progress being made.

I just put the game times for Canada's games in my calendar. I started on Wikipedia which has the games listed in the time zone where the game is being played. I did the math on the first game, it hurt my head a bit, but I figured it out. Then I thought there has to be an easier way, so I looked up the games on CanadaSoccer.com. I'm here to warn people that the first game against Nigeria has the wrong date on it! It says the game is at 10:30pm ET on July 21st. But it should be 10:30pm ET on July 20th! The game happens in Melbourne on the 21st at 12:30pm, but they are 14 hours ahead of the Eastern Time zone, so that makes the game the previous day for everyone in Canada except for Newfoundland, if I remember my time zones correctly.

The other 2 games on Canada's site look to be correct. I confirmed with the FIFA site, which has things nicely in my time zone, and doesn't seem to have mistakes.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/womens/womensworldcup/australia-new-zealand2023/scores-fixtures?country=BI&wtw-filter=ALL

This has probably been covered earlier in the thread, but Canada's group stage game times are all manageable for people in the Eastern time zone, give or take working hours. 10:30 pm, 8:00am, and 6:00am. I feel for the people on the west coast though for those last 2 games.

Fox announced 29 World Cup matches will be on big Fox - a record number for US English language tv with 5 in prime time. Quarterfinals onwards will be on Fox.

US matches will have a 2 hour pre-match show. Canada's matches versus Nigeria and Australia will be on Fox.

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/blog/2023/04/25/fox-sports-announces-fifa-womens-world-cup-australia-new-zealand-2023-broadcast-schedule/

Canada and other teams may only get their European-based players at the FIFA-mandated release date which is July 10th or 10 days before the start of the World Cup. But many teams have planned for 1 month camps and have friendlies scheduled before July 10th. Priestman had said they were planning to be in Australia by the beginning of July.

The European Club Association (ECA) said: “This is not a matter of financial compensation or the absence of adequate protection and insurance, but a serious concern for player welfare. The issue of early call-ups is a hangover from the game in its amateur form and is detrimental to the future success and growth of women’s football."

NWSL also initially didn't plan for early releases but changed their mind to June 26th after the US players pushed back. 

https://canadiansoccerdaily.com/2023/04/26/european-clubs-refuse-to-budge-on-fifa-womens-world-cup-release-date-over-player-welfare/

Infantino is again critizing tv networks for not offering enough for this year's World Cup rights. Specifically, he is going after England, Germany, France, Spain and Italy by threatening the World Cup may not be televised. In this case, it will likely be on FIFA+. 

With Infantino promising equal prize money by the 2027 World Cup, he needs higher broadcasting monies to fulfill it. Otherwise, he'll need to dip into FIFA's reserves and/or little to no increase for 2026 prize money.. Though, a new US tv deal post 2026 should help on the women's side. 

European countries have recently paid US$100-200 for a men's World Cup but Infantino is saying they're offering only US$1-10 million even though audience levels are 50-60% of the men's World Cup. 

Media reports have said BBC/ITV have offered just over US$11 million - the highest amongst European countries. Italian tv only offered US$1 million.

FIFA has already signed 156 broadcast deals. In Europe, FIFA has signed deals with countries including Hungary, Sweden and Belgium. 

Interesting note from Bloomberg article is that a record 1.4 million in France watched the most recent friendly with Canada.

Edited by red card

Two articles on some of the #CanWNT's more peripheral players:

Lysianne Proulx:

https://www.rds.ca/soccer/soccer-lysianne-proulx-vise-le-poste-de-gardienne-de-l-equipe-nationale-1.17145452

Marie-Yasmine Alidou:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1975100/soccer-canada-portugal-famalicao-marie-yasmine-alidou

Great to see the mainstream media covering their journeys. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Davies scored Canada men first goal in 2022. On the women's side, it happened in 1995 at the second women's World Cup and Canada's first women's World Cup in Helsingborg, Sweden before 655.

Excluding the bad goalkeeping, it looked like an Olimpico by Stoumbos vs England at the 87th minute in a 3-2 loss. Then Canada drew Nigeria 3-3 and got combed by World Cup winner Norway 7-0.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:09 PM, red card said:

Davies scored Canada men first goal in 2022. On the women's side, it happened in 1995 at the second women's World Cup and Canada's first women's World Cup in Helsingborg, Sweden before 655.

Excluding the bad goalkeeping, it looked like an Olimpico by Stoumbos vs England at the 87th minute in a 3-2 loss. Then Canada drew Nigeria 3-3 and got combed by World Cup winner Norway 7-0.

Cool idea. Just wish it was on their website instead of scummy twitter.

Player release date issue has been resolved as per BBC. it's now in line with NWSL release date and Priestman saying Canada should be in Australia in the first week of July and play a couple or three friendlies (likely all or 2 behind closed doors).

WoSo Show podcast previews Group B or the Anything Goes Group. 2 high octane attacks vs 2 high octane defenses.

2 of the 3 on the podcast don't pick Canada to advance. Canada is too old and can't score. Australia & Ireland key players are in their prime. They're quite bullish on the Irish.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:18 PM, Kent said:

I just put the game times for Canada's games in my calendar. I started on Wikipedia which has the games listed in the time zone where the game is being played. I did the math on the first game, it hurt my head a bit, but I figured it out. Then I thought there has to be an easier way, so I looked up the games on CanadaSoccer.com. I'm here to warn people that the first game against Nigeria has the wrong date on it! It says the game is at 10:30pm ET on July 21st. But it should be 10:30pm ET on July 20th! The game happens in Melbourne on the 21st at 12:30pm, but they are 14 hours ahead of the Eastern Time zone, so that makes the game the previous day for everyone in Canada except for Newfoundland, if I remember my time zones correctly.

The other 2 games on Canada's site look to be correct. I confirmed with the FIFA site, which has things nicely in my time zone, and doesn't seem to have mistakes.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/womens/womensworldcup/australia-new-zealand2023/scores-fixtures?country=BI&wtw-filter=ALL

This has probably been covered earlier in the thread, but Canada's group stage game times are all manageable for people in the Eastern time zone, give or take working hours. 10:30 pm, 8:00am, and 6:00am. I feel for the people on the west coast though for those last 2 games.

Just download FotMob. I can’t remember what it was like without it at this point.

On 5/23/2023 at 7:41 AM, red card said:

WoSo Show podcast previews Group B or the Anything Goes Group. 2 high octane attacks vs 2 high octane defenses.

2 of the 3 on the podcast don't pick Canada to advance. Canada is too old and can't score. Australia & Ireland key players are in their prime. They're quite bullish on the Irish.

Good. Right where we want to be. Let Australia and Ireland take all the attention. Place the burden of expectation on them to advance. I hope someone reading this thread is connected to the team and sends this to them for bulletin board material.

England is also out early with their World Cup squad. Man City has most players with 6, followed by Chelsea & Man United with 4 each. 3 players playing outside of England (2 Barca; 1 Bayern) which is more than a typical England men's squad.

Euro 22 Golden Boot winner Beth Mead is out injured. 6 players are making their senior tournament debuts.

Netherlands announced a 30 player provisional squad with final list coming June 30. Injured Miedema not included. They're also another country not paying attention to Euro players union time off demands as their camp for some players starts June 19.

Germany also announced a 28 player extended squad list. They will have a camp from June 20-28 and then July 1-8 in Germany. 5 Bayern players won't arrive till June 23 because they refused to release them early. The team will play friendlies vs Vietnam & Zambia and then travel to Australia on July 11th.

France announced their provisional squad of 26 but their release had the pomp & circumstance of a World Cup squad.

Almost 3/4 play in France but there are 4 players from WSL, 2 from liga F and 1 each from Serie A and NWSL (after World Cup).

Camp starts June 20 with 2 friendlies vs Canada's opponents. They'll play Ireland on July 6 in Dublin and Australia on July 14 in Melbourne.

Edited by red card

Edited due to new reporting (FIFA hasn't released info officially yet but reporters were allowed to see it).

FIFA is guaranteeing player payouts depending on their country's performance. Maybe some Federations weren't paying at all or not enough to their women players. So, FIFA is mandating just over 50% of the prize money goes to the players. FIFPRO had asked for at least 30%.

Canada Soccer's CBA proposal gives each player C$10.5-16.5k for group stage matches depending on performance. Up to 75% of WWC prize monies (depending on placement) would be added to the 40% of MWC prize monies that would be pooled & then shared between the women/men players. $1.15 million (50k per 23 squad player) is also provided to each W/M team that qualifies to the WC.

Globally, If a player's team makes it out of the group stage, the payout will be larger than their annual club salary for most of them. For the players on at least half the teams, the 30k group stage payout should be larger than their annual club salary.

The prize monies going to the Federations has also increased:

Group stage: US$1,560,000 (was 750k)
Round of 16: $1,870,000 (was $1m)
Quarterfinal: $2,180,000 (was $1.45m)
Fourth place: $2,455,000 (was $1.6m)
Third place: $2,610,000 (was $2m)
Second place: $3,015,000 (was $2.6m)
Winners: $4,290,000 (was $4m)

Edited by red card

Canada announced 25 player prelim World Cup squad. July 10 is deadline for final 23 squad list.

Camp will begin June 28 in the Gold Coast. Larisey & Viens won't be released by ther clubs until official FIFA window opens on July 10. Closed door friendly set for July 14 v England in the Sunshine Coast.

Squad's club make up is 9 from NWSL, 6 WSL, 3 liga BPI, 2 D1 Arkema, 2 Damallsvenskan, 2 NCAA, 1 Serie A (but a couple of players are on the move & one has been relegated from the WSL).

Priestman's thoughts from conference call:

- If Prince can play, Viens or Larisey will be out

- Will play Aussie boys team to work through tactics

- Carle/BSG left off because Jade Rose has more versatility and has elevated her game. Implied they're standby players.

- Preferred to only name 23 but waiting to see if Scott and Prince will have recovered by July 10

- Beckie will be focusing on rehab. So, she won't be in Australia.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

Canada announced 25 player prelim World Cup squad.

I can find tweets and press writeups but no CSA article.

https://canpl.ca/article/canada-announces-preperation-camp-roster-ahead-of-womens-world-cup

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-soccer-announces-camp-roster-ahead-of-fifa-womens-world-cup/sn-amp/

- Beckie will be focusing on rehab. So, she won't be in Australia.

That's a shame.

Closed door friendly set for July 14 v England in the Sunshine Coast.

We will be in Australia for that long and only play 1 friendly?!?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-canada-world-cup-friendly-30187496

Sadly, in one way it makes sense if we are based in Brisbane. Haiti and England are the only two teams to begin the tournament in Brisbane but Haiti won't even be training there prior to the start of the tournament.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

The last FIFA ranking before the World Cup. Canada falls below Spain again. Australia & Ireland remain unchanged at 10 & 22 respectively. Ireland is 15th ranked UEFA nation.

Nigeria moves up to 2 spots to 40 as the top ranked CAF entry. 

Bhutan was the biggest winner by 7 to 171. Indonesia was the biggest loser by 6 to 105. 

FIFA also announced ticket sales are now over 1 million. About 500k remain to be sold. Canada 2015 sold 1.353m, USA 1999 sold 1.214m while France 2019 sold 1.131m.

Edited by red card

Ireland names their 31 training camp squad that starts June 12. 11 are from England Women's Championship, 9 WSL, 4 Women's Premier Division (Ireland), 3 NWSL, 2 SWPL (Scotland) and 1 each from 2. Frauen Bundesliga and NCAA.

They have friendlies against Zambia (June 22) and France (July 6) in Dublin before they embark for Australia on July 7. Then, they play Colombia in Brisbane on July 14.

NWSL players and captain McCabe from Arsenal won't be in camp till after Zambia match. Final 23 will be named June 29.

Spain released their 30 player provisional squad. Of Las 15 that refused selection in the past year, 11 are understood to have written to RFEF to explain their decision to return. But only 3 were selected: Aitana Bonmatí, Ona Batlle and Mariona Caldentey. Putellas wasn't offically part of Las 15 since she was injured is also on the list.

Patri Guijarro, Mapi León, Clàudia Pina and Lola Gallardo — continued not make themselves available for selection.

First phase of camp will be June 19-30 with a match vs Panama on June 29 in Aviles. Final 23 will be announced on June 30. Then, they'll play Denmark in Copenhagen on July 5 before leaving for New Zealand. 

Nadeshiko World Cup squad was announced. With 30 year old Mana Iwabuchi missing out on a fourth World Cup, captain Saki Kumagai is the only player left from the 2011 World Cup winning squad.

Majority of the squad play in Japan's WE league with 4 each from INAC Kobe Leonessa and Urawa Red Diamonds. 4 play in the WSL, followed by 2 each in Serie A & NWSL and one in Allsvenskan.